The Football Thread

Labuyo

just read an article that manunited were offered the services of mascherano but elected to decline the offer..

england beat andorra, 5-0, looks like the lions are in for a blazing start, i just hope they don't burn out in front of better competition..goals from crouch, defoe, gerrard..

rio ferdinand is injured i think, because wes brown was partnering john terry in the defense of england..

england beat andorra, 5-0, looks like the lions are in for a blazing start, i just hope they don't burn out in front of better competition..goals from crouch, defoe, gerrard..

i must admit that england boss steve mclaren proved me wrong.

when he put gerrard in the right side of midfield in place of beckham, my initial thought was "you're putting your best player on the wing?!?". (yes, i am biased because i'm a liverpool fan). i thought that gerrard should be given a free role like he has with liverpool. but gerrard had two outstanding games for england setting up a bunch of goals with his crosses.

also, i thought darren bent would be a better choice than crouch. but the tall lanky crouch has been oh so productive.

looks like england finally got the right manager.

I agree with the others saying its Henzie and Crespo. aside from them who else?

:cool: Sebastian Veron i think is one of them, played for ManU but did not really make it big in EPL.. Tho i like his style of play and accuracy, albeit inconsistent...

ManU is up to a good start in the young EPL Season (3 wins in a row!!! :thumbsupsmiley: ).. Hopefully they will be able to sustain.... that is against the big teams.. Last season, they fared poorly against lower ranked teams in the early days of the season, which made it very difficult to recover at the later stages.

Go ManU Go!!!

cheers

:thumbsupsmiley:

:cool: Sebastian Veron i think is one of them, played for ManU but did not really make it big in EPL.. Tho i like his style of play and accuracy, albeit inconsistent...

ManU is up to a good start in the young EPL Season (3 wins in a row!!! :thumbsupsmiley: ).. Hopefully they will be able to sustain.... that is against the big teams.. Last season, they fared poorly against lower ranked teams in the early days of the season, which made it very difficult to recover at the later stages.

Go ManU Go!!!

cheers

:thumbsupsmiley:

is that the same guy who last played for internazionale? he is one scary looking dude -_-

nice article xycho_g..kaya pala napikon si zizou, pero sablay pa din siya dun, dpat hinde na lang nya pinatulan, e di dapat ngyn, world cup champions ulit france di ba? tsk tsk tsk..ang pikon talo tlga..

i think the england squad is still unprove, bilib na ko kay mclaren kung matalo nila mga strong teams like italy, france, brazil, argentina or holland..

eventhough crouch is scoring goals, i'd rather have another striker than him in my line-up, he is scoring goals against lesser teams pero pag crucial ang laro & pag nabantayan ng ka-height na, wala na..

defoe will be substituted with rooney once the suspension is lifted on the english wonder kid, sana lang tlga magpakabait na si wayne rooney, napaka-hoodlum kasi hehehehe..

is that the same guy who last played for internazionale? he is one scary looking dude -_-

yep. veron was a beast when he was playing for lazio. thats why man utd paid a huge transfer fee for him. veron played well in his first 3 months in the epl, but then slowly faded. some blamed the return of roy keane from injury. the theory was veron needed to be the ringleader (just as he was with argentina and lazio) and he just couldn't play with roy keane. but i believe veron was not used to the pace of the epl. virtually all the teams in the epl use the direct game. moving from defense to attack in the quickest possible way. veron was used to a more technical game, with short passing and patient build-up. the epl just did not suit his style of play. he eventually moved back to the serie a, but he is now past his prime. i think he's back in south america.

the epl just did not suit his style of play. he eventually moved back to the serie a, but he is now past his prime.

not only him but most south americans, most notably brazilians and argentinians. napakonti ng successful players from south america sa EPL and i agree it is because of the style of play. kaya bagay talaga ang south americans sa Italian league, puro pasahan hanggang ma-bore to death ang kalaban. :lol:

not only him but most south americans, most notably brazilians and argentinians. napakonti ng successful players from south america sa EPL and i agree it is because of the style of play. kaya bagay talaga ang south americans sa Italian league, puro pasahan hanggang ma-bore to death ang kalaban. :lol:

Another example is Veron's former Lazio teammate Hernan Crespo who played for Chelsea. Crespo was one the most-feared strikers in Serie A before (when Lazio won the Scudetto in 2000), but he didnt figure out very well in Mourinho's rotation.

The reason why West Ham were able to sign them on loan is because of the investment group MSI, they have joint corp with West Ham & Corinthians...however MSI seems to be pulling the plug from investing with Corinthians, and both players could stay with West Ham long term...esp with a rumor takeover from a billionare

West Ham was one of the surprise teams who exceeded expectations in the EPL last season (along with Wigan). I wouldn't be surprised if West Ham captures a European place this season, esp with the arrival of Tevez and Mascherano.

England star Wayne Rooney reportedly punched another Premiership footballer for asking if his fiancée was up for a "threesome".

The incident between Rooney and Blackburn's Michael Gray happened at the upmarket Panacea Bar and Restaurant in Manchester on Saturday night.

The 20-year-old Manchester United striker was with fiancée Coleen McLoughlin and three other couples, all long-standing close friends of the pair.

According to the Sun, Gray wandered over, apparently under the influence of alcohol, and exchanged words with Rooney.

Rooney warned Gray to leave him and his friends alone, but Gray then suggested he and Rooney have a threesome with Coleen.

This prompted Rooney, while still seated, to punch him, giving him a black eye, it is claimed.

tsk tsk tsk.......on and off the pitch,mainitin talaga ulo nitong si wayne "shrek" rooney. :D

West Ham was one of the surprise teams who exceeded expectations in the EPL last season (along with Wigan). I wouldn't be surprised if West Ham captures a European place this season, esp with the arrival of Tevez and Mascherano.

i think the playing style of tevez should suit the premiership. he's stocky and makes powerful runs. he's more of a bull than a finesse player. sort of reminds me of wayne rooney. hope he could cope with the english weather though...

hay naku, nakasapak si rooney? kelan kaya magbabago ang batang to? bilib na bilib pa din ko sa kanya, galing kasi na player, kung mamaintain lang nya ang patience nya sa laro, mas marami siya ma-aachieve..

tevez is a quality striker, it is true, he is a more fast paced physical player, mascherano is more of a holding midfielder type of player..

mas masarap panoorin ang epl ngayon, karamihan ng teams lumakas, badtrip nga lang, ManUnited ko lang ang hindi masyadong lumakas, si Carrick lang nasign nila..sana sila ulit champions ng EPL..

ay naku CL season nanaman! Another good reason to wake up at 2:30am during match days :P

Sana maka advance ang mga karapatdapat na teams :angry:

My dream finale of this season :

Manchester United FC vs Real Madrid CF :mtc: :cool: :mtc: :cool:

whats yours?

can't wait! starts this week.

fc barcelona has always been my favorite team since rivaldo transferred from deportivo la coruna. riva is now gone, but now we have ronaldinho at the helm. and it's no longer a one-man show. samuel eto'o, lionel messi and deco provide additional flair to the stylish catalans. xavi is back from injury and with captain carlos puyol, they provide the stability at the back. new signings gianluca zambrotta and lillian thuram from juventus strengthens the defence even more. and don't underestimate the arrival of eidur gudjohnsen. i consider him one of the smartest players around. a very good complement to the quick eto'o. it's definitely the golden era for barca. who's to bet against them being the first team to defend their champions league crown?

and where is my favorite player now? rivaldo is in his last season with olympiakos piraeus. they won the double last year and are simply dominating the greek league. rivaldo has won the player of the year award two years running, and he has announced his retirement after this season. what's a better swan song than a long run in the champions league? with predrag djordevic in support, brazilian julio cesar mastering the defence, and up and coming striker nery alberto castillo providing the goals, look for rivaldo & co to make it past the group stage.

olympique lyon has been knocking on the door for 2 straight years now. and again they are this year's dark horse to win it all. despite the loss of mahamadou diarra, they still have a solid line-up. key players are juninho, sidney govou, sylvain wiltord, florent malouda, cacapa, fred, eric abidal and gregory coupet. this could be their year.

and finally, look for cska moscow to cause a bit of a stir. their trio of brazilians (daniel carvalho, dudu cearense, vagner love) are now full fledged brazilian internationals. they featured very well during brazil's 3-0 win over argentina this last week. plus the russians have teen-age sensation jo. this young striker can make the champions league his coming out party.

those are my teams this year. and yes, there are no english teams. i root for fc liverpool in the epl, so i guess that would be my 5th team. but frankly, i don't see them getting past the second round.

only brazil...

ronaldinho's nephew, diego, is only 12 years old but he is already a sports celebrity. His move from the youth team of Gremio to Internacional had so much public interest that he had to call a press conference!

This is what makes Brazil a contender on every major competition even if their current superstars fade. Ronaldo may not be part of the team on the 2010 World Cup, but Ronaldinho, Adriano, and Kaka are ready to take the cudgels. Plus you have Robinho waiting on the wings. And then this Diego kid ...

Brazil develops their future superstars on the grassroots level, and at a very early stage.

can't wait! starts this week.

fc barcelona has always been my favorite team since rivaldo transferred from deportivo la coruna. riva is now gone, but now we have ronaldinho at the helm. and it's no longer a one-man show. samuel eto'o, lionel messi and deco provide additional flair to the stylish catalans. xavi is back from injury and with captain carlos puyol, they provide the stability at the back. new signings gianluca zambrotta and lillian thuram from juventus strengthens the defence even more. and don't underestimate the arrival of eidur gudjohnsen. i consider him one of the smartest players around. a very good complement to the quick eto'o. it's definitely the golden era for barca. who's to bet against them being the first team to defend their champions league crown?

and where is my favorite player now? rivaldo is in his last season with olympiakos piraeus. they won the double last year and are simply dominating the greek league. rivaldo has won the player of the year award two years running, and he has announced his retirement after this season. what's a better swan song than a long run in the champions league? with predrag djordevic in support, brazilian julio cesar mastering the defence, and up and coming striker nery alberto castillo providing the goals, look for rivaldo & co to make it past the group stage.

olympique lyon has been knocking on the door for 2 straight years now. and again they are this year's dark horse to win it all. despite the loss of mahamadou diarra, they still have a solid line-up. key players are juninho, sidney govou, sylvain wiltord, florent malouda, cacapa, fred, eric abidal and gregory coupet. this could be their year.

and finally, look for cska moscow to cause a bit of a stir. their trio of brazilians (daniel carvalho, dudu cearense, vagner love) are now full fledged brazilian internationals. they featured very well during brazil's 3-0 win over argentina this last week. plus the russians have teen-age sensation jo. this young striker can make the champions league his coming out party.

those are my teams this year. and yes, there are no english teams. i root for fc liverpool in the epl, so i guess that would be my 5th team. but frankly, i don't see them getting past the second round.

I agree with majority of the picks (except for liverpool) and i think barca is indeed by far the team to beat while powerhouses chelsea, real madrid, inter the the french champs o. lyon will always be fixtures past the group stage... although i must say that i have a soft spot for then gunners who were just brilliant last year! i mean the injury laden roster was just a nightmare for wenger, but still greenhorns like cesc, flamini, eboue and senderos filled in pretty well considering the level of play in the ucl. and now theyve got rosicky and gallas... i mean rosicky has got a thunder of a right foot! and gallas, that guy can be in the ufc and still be monster!

and like what damaso said, expect upsets from teams like cska moskva and bremen...

uhm, no offense sa chelsea fans ah, pero parang malaki ang pinagbago nila since last year, 2 loses na kagad sila, Liverpool during the Community Shield & sa Middlesborough sa EPL, baka late bloomer, kulang pa sa teamwork, we will see sa EPL & sa CL..

ManUnited beats Tottenham to remain on top of the EPL with 12pts, sana tuloy2x na to..

Arsenal draws with Man City or Bolton ba yun, 1-1(correct me if i'm wrong na lang, hindi ko maalala yung nakadraw sa kanila na team..), worst start ng Gunnars, 2 draws & 1 loss..excited na ko sa laban nila w/ ManUnited sa Sunday..

Real Madrid beats Levante, 4-1, a hat trick by Ruud Van Nistelrooy & with Antonio Cassano scoring his 1st goal for Madrid..

AC Milan nanalo & nabawasan nila un point deduction nila sa Serie A from -8 to -5 na lang..

Grabe pagkatalo ng Liverpool sa Everton, 3-0, galing ng team ni David Moyes, beating the Reds by 3 goals..