The Football Thread

Labuyo

manchester lost to arsenal. hmm, are they losing their aura of invincibility?

AC Milan and Liverpool fan here.

dude, what do you do on champions league nights? i cant believe you can stand watching your two favorite teams playing each other twice in a row on a finals. lol

perhaps its may due to to the addition of berbatov and the loss of harbreaves due to injury. berbatov slowed down the man utd offense; they used to a running team, having a tripartite attack in rooney tevez and ronaldo. man utd misses hargreaves presence in the middle, carrick isnt ur usual rough tackler/

welcome to club kop!

i think it will either be chelsea, arsenal or liverpool will win the EPL. man u will not be as hungry this year since they won the double last year.

really an ac milan fan. i play a similar position to gattuso. hehehe defensive midfielders rule!!!. with kaka, pato and ronaldino. i am sure they will be a force by next year CL.

liverpool i just come to recently appreciate man. try checking out youtube for versions of you will never walk alone.

just gives you the creeps. steven gerrard is a fine captain.

mark hughes should go if manchester city wants to be part of the elite in european football. i've posted in the past that with abu dhabi money, man city would make the big four the big five in the epl. but it seems that hughes does not want that to happen so quickly. case in point, his main transfer targets: wayne bridge and roque santa cruz.

ok, they are decent players especially santa cruz. but let's remember that their owners, the nahyan family and their oil, is estimated to be worth $550 billion. with unlimited money, hughes wants a chelsea benchwarmer and a striker from a midtable team. does this sound right??

abu dhabi is currently in a dogfight with dubai on glamour profile. dubai has gotten the headstart with their mega-projects (the 2 tallest buildings in the world, unbelievable hotels and resorts, etc). but abu dhabi is catching up by headlining sports: there's an f1 race there next year and of course, a team in the most watched global sporting brand: the english premier league. this will be their "trophy" club (and they have signalled their intent of wanting superstars by signing robinho for a british transfer record).....but i don't think wayne bridge and rsc are exactly the most popular football icons in the uae.

another problem is hughes is definitely an english manager. he prefers long balls and physicality. robinho is a good fit because of his pace, but a ball-playing midfielder is not the manager's cup of tea. elano, the team's star last season during the more sophisticated eriksson's reign, is being benched by hughes for not being "strong" enough. dunne, definitely a player in the english mould, continues to start even though he has comically gifted goals to the opponent. plus micah richards, a player of enormous potential, is still being played at left back - a role he is totally unfamiliar with.

man city needs a manager whose ambitions match their own. with their wealth, they should be looking at kun aguero (whose buy-out clause is an affordable $60m...well affordable for the sheikh anyway) or inter's unwanted adriano. at left-back, cska moscow's yuri zhirkov. there are a bunch of future stars out there for the taking: alberto aquilani, mauro zarate, jefferson farfan, rafinha, diogo, sebastian giovinco. not to mention the big stars currently playing in the "lower" leagues: karim benzema, lukas podolski, luca toni, andrei arshavin. they got robinho, they can get anyone.......and hughes wants wayne bridge.......hahaha!

i think it will either be chelsea, arsenal or liverpool will win the EPL. man u will not be as hungry this year since they won the double last year.

really an ac milan fan. i play a similar position to gattuso. hehehe defensive midfielders rule!!!. with kaka, pato and ronaldino. i am sure they will be a force by next year CL.

liverpool i just come to recently appreciate man. try checking out youtube for versions of you will never walk alone.

just gives you the creeps. steven gerrard is a fine captain.

bout ac milan, perhaps they may be a force for next years champs league season, but lets not forget that their backline is aging.

liverpool fan here. indeed gerrard is a fine captain. put him anywhere, he does his best. but his flexiblity is a hindrance to his performances internationally. oftentimes, managers put him in positions where hes not accustomed to because of his flexibility. nevertheless, still a flaker sad to say, but because of that, hungry for the trophy everytime. a leader to look upon to by the young kopites in the academy, team B, and team A. i would see a next gerrard in lucas leiva, a player who brazil uses often already at such a young age.

mark hughes should go if manchester city wants to be part of the elite in european football. i've posted in the past that with abu dhabi money, man city would make the big four the big five in the epl. but it seems that hughes does not want that to happen so quickly. case in point, his main transfer targets: wayne bridge and roque santa cruz.

ok, they are decent players especially santa cruz. but let's remember that their owners, the nahyan family and their oil, is estimated to be worth $550 billion. with unlimited money, hughes wants a chelsea benchwarmer and a striker from a midtable team. does this sound right??

abu dhabi is currently in a dogfight with dubai on glamour profile. dubai has gotten the headstart with their mega-projects (the 2 tallest buildings in the world, unbelievable hotels and resorts, etc). but abu dhabi is catching up by headlining sports: there's an f1 race there next year and of course, a team in the most watched global sporting brand: the english premier league. this will be their "trophy" club (and they have signalled their intent of wanting superstars by signing robinho for a british transfer record).....but i don't think wayne bridge and rsc are exactly the most popular football icons in the uae.

another problem is hughes is definitely an english manager. he prefers long balls and physicality. robinho is a good fit because of his pace, but a ball-playing midfielder is not the manager's cup of tea. elano, the team's star last season during the more sophisticated eriksson's reign, is being benched by hughes for not being "strong" enough. dunne, definitely a player in the english mould, continues to start even though he has comically gifted goals to the opponent. plus micah richards, a player of enormous potential, is still being played at left back - a role he is totally unfamiliar with.

man city needs a manager whose ambitions match their own. with their wealth, they should be looking at kun aguero (whose buy-out clause is an affordable $60m...well affordable for the sheikh anyway) or inter's unwanted adriano. at left-back, cska moscow's yuri zhirkov. there are a bunch of future stars out there for the taking: alberto aquilani, mauro zarate, jefferson farfan, rafinha, diogo, sebastian giovinco. not to mention the big stars currently playing in the "lower" leagues: karim benzema, lukas podolski, luca toni, andrei arshavin. they got robinho, they can get anyone.......and hughes wants wayne bridge.......hahaha!

yah, hughes should be sacked, get juande ramos in there. LOL! :lol:

well, were nearing the the january transfer window, lots of gossip going on as usual.

wats for certain is that chelsea will not buy any new players. theyll look onto developing their academy.

arshavin likely to land to real madrid.

football is life.

there is no other game like it. i love basketball too but I hope filipinos would learn to love football the way other countries do.

we are too fixated with basketball. quite ironic for a country not known for being the home of tall people. :)

seconded! haha. were more agile and flexible rather than tall and bulky. its due to the american influence when they arrived here in the early 1900s. we cant win trophies if we still to basketball. the facts show that our sports star excel in individual sports like billiards, chess, and boxing because we dont need to be tall and physical.

if we focus on football, well get somewhere.

wag na kasi tayo mangarap to produce competitve basketball players na pwedeng isabak sa abroad.

korea and japan area already exporting professional football and baseball players. even taiwan.

tayo, a country of almos 90 million fixated pa rin sa basketball. ang papandak naman natin. not in ten years can we produce a player in the mold of manu ginobli. to think hindi nga mvp ng nba yan ha.

kakabagot din minsan. basketball ng basketball, ang papandak naman.

damn right ang liliit na natin pero puro basketball pa rin. sana naman ang ating gobyerno ay magbigay na lang ng funds sa mga sports na pede tayong mag excel.

Football will be one of the sports na hindi kailangan ng taas to excel. I think mas suited nga sa atin ito kasi Filipinos are known to be fleet footed and besides mabibilis din tayo.

I don't get why most people are not impressed with Berbatov. I mean he isn't at all flashy but he has this subtle flair that you have to look out for to see his awsomeness.

you know that i am no man utd fan but i am very impressed with berbatov. his first touch is pure class. he reminds me of bergkamp.

I guess it has do with people's expectation. Ang laki kasi ng binayad sa kanya eh.

yahp, well aside from that, hes your consistent 15-goal striker, comparable to those of yakubu, roque santa cruz, and crouch type. man utd got him for that price because they really lacked a strong and burly striker. my point was that man utd lost their touch due to the shift in style, berba drags the pace of the on rushing midfielders, hence the constant offside traps. definetely berba has a good first touch, perhaps it may be the adjustment with the team. for 30 million pounds, cmon. maybe if he included in his skills some dead-ball ability, he may prove his worth. so far hes just some crouch or heskey at this point; people who are in charge of holding the ball, with no pace whatsoever. i say, revert back to the old method of the triangle offense of tevez in right, ronaldo in left, rooney up front.

you know that i am no man utd fan but i am very impressed with berbatov. his first touch is pure class. he reminds me of bergkamp.

indeed.

Have you seen this flick he did to keep the ball in a few weeks ago? Sheer class. Most people specially Liverpool fans are just bitter because they bought the lemon Robbie Keen. It's like Shaq and Kobe once again.

Kobe needed Shaq.

Robbie needed Dimi.

Glory Glory Manchester United!

Edited by redshirt