The Football Thread

Labuyo

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has branded Blues striker Didier Drogba ''a diver''.

Drogba has often been criticised for going to ground too easily but was vigorously defended by Mourinho during his time in charge at Stamford Bridge.

Now, just over a year after leaving Chelsea, Mourinho has turned on the 30-year-old while also hitting out at Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres and Robin van Persie for the same thing.

Mourinho told feelfootball.com: ''I am no longer Chelsea coach, and I do not have to defend them any more, but I think it is correct if I say Drogba is a diver.

''Drogba, Ronaldo, Torres and Van Persie are the divers. Who dives more? Who has won more penalties in recent years? But English football is the one that criticises the divers the most.''

Mourinho claims he is against diving but encourages his players to go to ground if they are fouled.

He added: ''I hate diving, but I'm not happy if a player is kicked by somebody in the box and he tries to remain standing.

''It's very, very rare a referee gives a decision if the player doesn't go down so I tell players not to be naive, but to be fair.''

IS MOURINHO HIGH OR WHAT?

D. BerbatovMan UtdForward 15.36Sell at 12.79 6.00 20.50 36.00 6 1 4 2 10

Sell this playerA. ZakiWiganForward 12.19Sell at 12.11 14.88 24.50 119.00 8 7 14 9 26

Sell this playerS. Wright-PhillipsMan CityMidfielder 12.03Sell at 11.27 13.71 13.00 96.00 7 3 6 8 22

Sell this playerG. BarryAston VillaMidfielder 11.82 7.25 3.00 58.00 8 0 4 4 6

Sell this playerS. IrelandMan CityMidfielder 11.73 11.00 19.00 88.00 8 3 7 5 9

Sell this playerD. CisseSunderlandForward 8.70 7.29 6.50 51.00 7 2 10 10 7

Sell this playerDenilsonArsenalMidfielder 7.38Sell at 7.28 8.50 4.50 68.00 8 2 5 4 12

Sell this playerM. FigueroaWiganDefender 6.54 6.31 1.00 50.50 8 0 0 5 19

Sell this playerA. DossenaLiverpoolDefender 6.19Sell at 6.17 6.00 0.50 42.00 7 0 0 11 4

Sell this playerJ. PaintsilFulhamDefender 6.18Sell at 4.96 7.36 12.00 51.50 7 0 0 3 8

Sell this playerC. GordonSunderlandGoalkeeper 5.97 5.31 15.00 42.50 8 0 0 0 1

any thoughts for lineup next week for fantasy football?

awesome goal by del piero. Man! I havent sen this guy play in awhile. i opted to watch the Juventus v R. Madrid match last night since there arent networks who do show these great italian n spanish clubs on local tv during their league games. Del Piero is such a classic stiker. Leave him a little space and watch him create some magic. Real Madrid did seem to lack pace for most of the game. Thats why they had to pay the price.

post-25839-1224673683.jpg

i was really surprised to see the results of liverpool-at.madrid and the chelsea-roma game; i thought they would score more against both teams after what manutd & arsenal did the 1st night of match day 3..

nice win by juve against real the other day..the del piero goal was sublime :)

inter was disappointing against anorthosis; they could've score more but couldn't finish off their exquisite passing; glad to see adriano is back to his scoring ways :)..

rooney is unstoppable right now; i hope his form continues for club & country :)

watched the game 25 mins late into action due to some diarrhea problem. going on, here are the talking points:

poor refereeing at the calderon. both linesmen making wrong calls on several occasions. nevertheless, the probable goals should still make it a draw. the Athletico Madrid fans were intimidating with all their drums and chants.

hard to play a champs league match knowing your up against your archrival in a few days time: chelsea. hence gerrard out, alonso, keane.

the match was filled with dives, its just the spanish way: fragile and slick short passes. riera shouldnt have been booked, he was really clipped in the heels inside the box. it was Maniche who really dove, he actually looked like a fool on the way down. took him til Christmas to go down after the foul. i actually think liverpool took it easy on them due to the fact that 2 players were former kops in luis garcia and florent sinamapongolle. the match was too soft because of that.

Man of the Match: Forlan. caused numerous problems in front of the liverpool defense. provided the cool control from a long ball in midfield and the killer pass for the simao leveller.

anyway, ROUND 2 at ANFIELD (Nov. 4). lets see how they deal with our fans.. till then.

Edited by duchessXI

i found myself laughing at halftime watching both the manchini and riera dives. Too bad it wouldnt warrant any of them academy awards nominations. Sorry, couldnt help myself... still its part of the game so no complains here. Sayang lang ata ala si f. torres. I wonder how fans of atletico madrid would react everytime he would be getting a touch of the ball.

I saw the del piero goal again. It really was a great goal but as you look at it more and more, you just cant help notice the look on iker castillas as the ball flew just above him.

This is a problem for me. Becks is my fave player and I support Internatzionale.

dilemna for you :D on a brighter note, this ensures your favorite player is still fit during the mls off season. it also helps that obviously, serie a is a lot more competitive than mls.

one to go for him to tie sir bobby moore in terms of england caps. probably, an improved match fitness level can earn him a lot more caps.

good for becks; ac milan is a great team; sila favorite ko sa italy; especially un time na ito un line-up nila:

inzaghi shevchenko

pirlo kaka seedorf

gattuso

cafu maldini nesta ?

sino yung rightback nila nung nagchampion sila sa CL? di ko talaga maalala si oddo or si kaladze ba? or si nesta ang rightback tpos si kaladze ang ka-pair ni maldini? di ko tlga maalala..

bsta ang tindi ng team na to; strong throughout; badtrip nga nun tinalo nila manutd sa semis ng CL nun, bumawi nman kami last season by winning the trophy hehehe :)

if there's one thing cristiano ronaldo is not; it's humble hehehehehe pero may point siya hehehe..nakuha ko sa espnstar.com :)

Ronaldo wants awards galore

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo believes he deserves to be crowned both European and World Player of the Year.

The Portugal forward is one of the favourites to scoop the awards after leading United to a Champions League and Premier League double last season.

Ronaldo finished runner-up to Kaka for the 2007 Ballon D'Or, and was third in the running for the FIFA World Player of the Year award, behind Kaka and Lionel Messi.

The 23-year-old faces stiff competition from the likes of Barcelona playmaker Messi and Liverpool forward Fernando Torres, who also impressed in the Premier League and in Europe.

"There cannot be just one candidate," Ronaldo said in an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport. "There are two or three that deserve it.

"But if you look at what each of them has done throughout the season, I believe I have done more than the rest. What else could I have won for the Golden Ball and the FIFA award?"

He added: "Honestly, regarding the (Ballon D'Or) and the FIFA World Player award I feel confident, I am calm.

"I won the golden boot after scoring 31 goals, I was top scorer in England and in Europe. I was also the top scorer in the Champions League with eight goals and I am not a striker.

"It was a fantastic season but what is more important is the trophies I won with Manchester United, the Premier League and the Champions League."

Ronaldo, meanwhile, is hoping he and his Manchester United team-mates can make history this season by defending the Champions League trophy.

"History sooner or later must change," Ronaldo said. "It could happen already this year.

"Manchester have the potential, players, motivation to win the Champions League twice in a row.

"The team is more mature, has more experienced and (Dimitar) Berbatov has arrived.

"We have to believe in ourselves. I hope to soon find the form that I had last season in order to do better than in the 2007-08 campaign."

Ronaldo, who was strongly linked with a move to Real Madrid this summer, is fully focused on succeeding again at United.

"The summer has passed and what I had to say I said it," he said. "I am at Manchester and I want to win again with Manchester."

sana nga siya manalo ng ballon d'or :)

dilemna for you :D on a brighter note, this ensures your favorite player is still fit during the mls off season. it also helps that obviously, serie a is a lot more competitive than mls.

one to go for him to tie sir bobby moore in terms of england caps. probably, an improved match fitness level can earn him a lot more caps.

Yes, I hope he keeps fit and score atleast a couple of goals while at Milan.

argh! just a point against everton! tsk tsk tsk..

chelsea vs liverpool later..i hope its a draw hehehehe..

hull is really for real; good for the newly promoted side :)..

in other news:

Ramos leaves Tottenham, club says

Written by: AFP

2008-10-26 01:05:03

LONDON (AFP) - Tottenham Hotspur manager Juande Ramos has left the English Premier League club, it said in a statement released late Saturday.

"The club can announce that Damien Comolli, sporting director, Juande Ramos, head coach and first-team coaches, Marcos Alvarez and Gus Poyet, have left the club, with immediate effect. We wish them well," the north London side said.

Harry Redknapp, manager of Premiership rivals Portsmouth, has been given permission to talk to Tottenham about the vacancy, both sides said.

Spaniard Ramos, formerly in charge at Sevilla, had been under heavy pressure after Spurs made their worst ever start to a league season with just two points from eight games, despite winning the League Cup in February.

Tottenham said that Clive Allen, a former club player who is now development squad coach, and youth team manager Alex Inglethorpe would be in charge for Sunday's clash with Bolton.

It added in the statement that a further announcement would be made on the first-team coaching staff "in due course".

damn, the start of the season had great expectations for ramos & spurs; with what he did with sevilla; its sad to see what happened during the start of the season..baka si harry redknapp daw papalit, hmm, ayaw na pala nya sa pompey, ganda na nga ng nagawa nya dun tpos alis pa siya, sayang din yun..

Edited by _eRon_

Beckham is just a one of those hollywood athlete prima donnas. hes far from his prime back when he was at man utd, his skills were fading already when he was at real. now hes facing fitness levels.

its disgraceful to still see him play for england just for the sake of honors. if sir bobby moore, sir bryan robson, sir boby charlton, peter shilton, and billy wight were watching, they are apparently offended. Its a spit on their faces in other words: an insult if your looking for a more politically correct term.

bringing in beckham just to play for 10-15 minutes just to let him surpass notable englishmen who played the game hard is a fcuking disgrace. get that transformed white trash who plays for money out of there; let him play in the pub league of MLS, i dnt think ac milan even needs this arse; theyre just doing it for the jerseys obviously. the world deserves players with pure hearts.