The Football Thread

Labuyo

daming may ligament damage ah: scholes for manutd, drog for chelsea and skrtel for pool..tsk tsk tsk injuries suck hehe..

the premiere league for me is still the most entertaining league; bundesliga, ligue 1 and eredivisie are boring; la liga is too soft; serie a i think is second to the prem league :)

i hope england beat kazakhstan this weekend :)

i would rate the premiership and la liga as the most entertaining. the bundesliga, believe it or not, is a close third. kaya lang, over here, the bundesliga is shown early morning on saturdays and sundays, so i watch the premiership instead. midday and afternoons, its a choice between la liga and serie a. i find serie a boring - there's only 2 watchable teams: the milan teams. even my juventus is boring. so my weekend mornings are spent watching the prem, afternoons are spent watching la liga.

the argentine leagues are exciting to watch too. pero their players are always getting poached by european teams. the commentators suck also.

the french league nobody watched, so all the futbol channels over here dropped it.

The prem is the BEST league in the world. Atleast for me. In terms of starpower,entertainment, picture quality and commentary.

La Liga would be a far second. It used to be fun,exciting and uber entertaining. Gone were the days when fans threw pig heads in the pitch. LOL

Also, the commentary sucks. The picture quality is poor and their website sucks.

All other domestic leagues, I find them boring. I would have watched Serrie A if Jose was up with his antics but I can always check out youtube for that.

Edited by redshirt

luckily, i have 3 futbol dedicated tv channels over here (fox soccer channel, setanta sports and goltv) plus espn so i am able to watch all the big leagues. (goltv, by the way, has the best sports commentator in history: ray hudson - the funniest and most over the top personality in tv).

we can safely say that there are 3 big domestic leagues: the premier league, la liga, and serie a. the rest are second-tier at this moment. i believe there are fundamental differences in how the game is played in each of the these leagues. and each of us would prefer a league based on how we like our football.

so this is a humble opinion (with help from a website) on how football is played in each league (disclaimer: this is a generalization of the leagues. some individual clubs may play differently.) :

the premier league

the premiership is undoubtedly the most watched league in the world. but thats because they have the best hype and promotion. they have so many shows throughout the week i cant keep up. they actually promote it better than the nba! but it is also without a doubt, very exciting. premier league clubs play fast football based on quick counter-attacks. it seems like the best tactic is get the ball to the opposing half as quick as possible. the best qualities for a player here are pace, aggression and commitment. its end to end fast football which makes it sooo entertaining.

la liga

spain's domestic league is almost the complete opposite. instead of power and pace, they value flair and technical skills. a lot of probing and intricate passing. you would see teams often pass back to their keeper or their sweeper and rebuild the attack. sometimes playing lovely passing football is more important than winning! (real madrid is the perfect example, where they get blasted by their own fans for winning but not winning pretty). there is also much more reliance on individual skills. however, eRon is correct in saying it is soft. i can already see a team like bolton just manhandling atletico madrid. but their goals are often a sight to behold.

serie a

italy is all about tactics. football in italy is like a game of chess. players are often controlled rather than set free. you can see midfielders just patrol an area and stick to it. organization and defense is an art form. a lot of passing to find open spaces, and then trying to hold that gain in territory. numerous adjustments of positioning throughout the game. it would actually be interesting to watch serie a games from a top point of view, to see the tactics. biggest problem though, is the decline in star power. in the 90s, all the stars wanted to play in serie a. that is not the case anymore.

so which league is most entertaining?......it depends on your taste, on how you like your football. i say we just enjoy the variety.

Edited by damaso
Damn, that means UCL wil be pushed back a week as well!

Any news regarding the ENG lineup? Did Becks make it?

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

i think becks made it but he'll probably be in the bench after walcott's hat-trick last time out.

i wonder if capello will play both lampard and gerrard. i still think they're too similar to play together.

san country ka located damaso?

beckham wasn't selected for the match; i think capello is going for this formation based on his selections..

rooney heskey

lampard

wright-phillips walcott

gerrard

cole ferdinand terry brown

GK?

despite the good combination of lampard & barry against croatia; capello is leaning towards returning gerrard to the squad..SWP will directly swap for the injured joe cole..tama ba right back ko? si brown nga ba? please correct me if i'm wrong..i don't know who will be the keeper for the kazakhstan game; james perhaps? :)

san country ka located damaso?

beckham wasn't selected for the match; i think capello is going for this formation based on his selections..

rooney heskey

lampard

wright-phillips walcott

gerrard

cole ferdinand terry brown

GK?

despite the good combination of lampard & barry against croatia; capello is leaning towards returning gerrard to the squad..SWP will directly swap for the injured joe cole..tama ba right back ko? si brown nga ba? please correct me if i'm wrong..i don't know who will be the keeper for the kazakhstan game; james perhaps? :)

i'm in the us.

i think james nga will be the keeper. i'm thinking glen johnson might start at right back.

luckily, i have 3 futbol dedicated tv channels over here (fox soccer channel, setanta sports and goltv) plus espn so i am able to watch all the big leagues. (goltv, by the way, has the best sports commentator in history: ray hudson - the funniest and most over the top personality in tv).

we can safely say that there are 3 big domestic leagues: the premier league, la liga, and serie a. the rest are second-tier at this moment. i believe there are fundamental differences in how the game is played in each of the these leagues. and each of us would prefer a league based on how we like our football.

so this is a humble opinion (with help from a website) on how football is played in each league (disclaimer: this is a generalization of the leagues. some individual clubs may play differently.) :

the premier league

the premiership is undoubtedly the most watched league in the world. but thats because they have the best hype and promotion. they have so many shows throughout the week i cant keep up. they actually promote it better than the nba! but it is also without a doubt, very exciting. premier league clubs play fast football based on quick counter-attacks. it seems like the best tactic is get the ball to the opposing half as quick as possible. the best qualities for a player here are pace, aggression and commitment. its end to end fast football which makes it sooo entertaining.

la liga

spain's domestic league is almost the complete opposite. instead of power and pace, they value flair and technical skills. a lot of probing and intricate passing. you would see teams often pass back to their keeper or their sweeper and rebuild the attack. sometimes playing lovely passing football is more important than winning! (real madrid is the perfect example, where they get blasted by their own fans for winning but not winning pretty). there is also much more reliance on individual skills. however, eRon is correct in saying it is soft. i can already see a team like bolton just manhandling atletico madrid. but their goals are often a sight to behold.

serie a

italy is all about tactics. football in italy is like a game of chess. players are often controlled rather than set free. you can see midfielders just patrol an area and stick to it. organization and defense is an art form. a lot of passing to find open spaces, and then trying to hold that gain in territory. numerous adjustments of positioning throughout the game. it would actually be interesting to watch serie a games from a top point of view, to see the tactics. biggest problem though, is the decline in star power. in the 90s, all the stars wanted to play in serie a. that is not the case anymore.

so which league is most entertaining?......it depends on your taste, on how you like your football. i say we just enjoy the variety.

awsome post there buddy. As previously mentioned in one od my posts, I find the EPL to be the best league right now. Lovin the hype and starpower. always gets me sold.

tama nga siguro; glen johnson is playing great for pompey :)...

maraming nagreact when ashley young was not selected for the kazakhstan game; some pundits preferred him rather than SWP :)

I still think swp can't do a proper cross even if his life depended on it but we shouldn't disregard the fact that he has been in awsome form of late. he has been playing better than a. young.

I hope capello goes for crouch + defoe. the pompey duo are starting to click.

heskey is good, but too old. they rely on him because England doesnt have a good strikeforce to begin with. they rely players who have played the English game most of their career. They have to change their game, instead of bringing in players, they have to send their English players out.

E.g. Owen, Beckham, Hargreaves

but these players are too old.

Englands strikeforce, with the exception of rooney

heskey, bent, defoe, agbolanhor (nothing but a bunch of squad players.

they cant contend against gilardini or luca toni, trezeguet or henry, adriano or fabiano, torres or villa,

the last strikeforce that was decent enough for england to bring them to the semifinals at least was the classic sheringham and shearer combo.

England is at a manager crisis, Left winger crises, goalie crisis, and a striker crisis. (hence the failure to qualify for the Euros)

theyre on a verge on finding people to fill these slots. if they want to make it to South Africa, they have to act now, gerrard is getting old, so is scholes. haha

lam ko english siya; bat mo nga pala natanong?..john terry has a back injury; england will be captained by rio ferdinand & matthew upson will deputise for terry in defense for the kazakhstan game; another funny thing is gerrard will be put in the left; swp will be benched..so it means ganto formation ng england for the game:

heskey rooney

lampard

gerrard walcott

barry(?)

cole ferdinand upson johnson

james(GK)

hmm? gerrard in the left? ma-uunderutilize siya dun..dpat si ashley cole na lang sa left for england :)

heskey is only 30 years old, that's not too old. lampard is 30 too. fabio cannavaro, pavel nedved, george weah - all won the ballon d'or past the age of 30. zidane almost led france to the world cup at 34.

hmm? gerrard in the left? ma-uunderutilize siya dun..dpat si ashley cole na lang sa left for england :)

its the gerrard-lampard conundrum. they're too similar to play together in central midfield, but both are too good to leave on the bench.

Edited by damaso

Hesky isn't that good. I dunno why people have been making a lot of fuss about him just because ENG never lost a qualifying match with him on the starting 11 or something like that.

Stupid decition for leaving out the prem's current top scorer. Another wrong move in benching SWP. Id rather Capello bench Fat Frank and Gerrard in favour of either SWP,Young or Barry.

halftime:

england 0 kazakhstan 0

- how come england cannot play any other formation than 4-4-2? after mclaren's disastrous 3-5-2, capello goes for a 4-3-3 formation today. walcott being pushed forward, to make space for the central midfield trio of gerrard, lampard and barry.

- mali na naman ako: wes brown preferred over glen johnson. matthew upson replaces the injured john terry.

- commentators are saying only 4 of kazakhstan's players have played in a wc qualifier. england can't even score against rookies!

- the tempo of the game has slowed down. capello should revert back to the 4-4-2.

england 5 kazakhstan 1

- decent scoreline for england against the 120th ranked team. but it felt like the kazakhs were just too tired to play in the last 20 minutes. they played really well up to their goal.

- capello did switch to a 4-4-2 at halftime. swp on for barry to play on as left mid. walcott drops to right mid. and that basically unleashed rooney.

- england laboured till the 70th (the score was 2-1, both their goals were from set pieces) then beckham came on. then the floodgates opened. hmmm....

- lessons learned: don't mess with the 4-4-2; beckham still has a place in the team, albeit as a sub.

ENG are used and suited to 4-4-2 let's just accept that. Not to forget but they are long ball merchants who really on proper crossing to get the job done. Personally I like the 4-4-2 and this would be my ENG starting IX

Defoe Roooney

Gerrard/Lampard (depending on form) Hardgreaves Wallcot Beckham

A. Cole Ferdinand Terry L. Young

James