The Football Thread

Labuyo

Hargreaves will sign for United on Tuesday

MANCHESTER, England, May 28, 2007 (AFP) - Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves will complete his protracted 17 million pounds transfer to Manchester United on Tuesday, according to reports on Monday.

Hargreaves, 26, has agreed a five-year contract with United after passing a medical last week and the Manchester Evening News reports he will move to Old Trafford this week.

Sir Alex Ferguson has wanted to sign the England international for over a year and, after lengthy negotiations with the German club, he has finally got his man.

Hargreaves, who has been ruled out of England's forthcoming internationals through injury, can't wait to get started and believes he can help United retain the Premiership title next season.

"I have been lucky to play in big games and win some wonderful titles," Hargreaves said. "I have won everything a player can in Germany - titles, the Champions League and even the World Club Championship.

"It is now about experiencing that somewhere else and I can't wait to start over again. The prospect of adding a Premiership winner's medal to my collection is incredibly exciting."

Hargreaves is unlikely to be the last high-profile arrival at Old Trafford over the close season, with Ferguson also keen on Sporting Lisbon winger Nani and Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o.

Edited by ron9
Hargreaves will sign for United on Tuesday

MANCHESTER, England, May 28, 2007 (AFP) - Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves will complete his protracted 17 million pounds transfer to Manchester United on Tuesday, according to reports on Monday.

Hargreaves, 26, has agreed a five-year contract with United after passing a medical last week and the Manchester Evening News reports he will move to Old Trafford this week.

Sir Alex Ferguson has wanted to sign the England international for over a year and, after lengthy negotiations with the German club, he has finally got his man.

Hargreaves, who has been ruled out of England's forthcoming internationals through injury, can't wait to get started and believes he can help United retain the Premiership title next season.

"I have been lucky to play in big games and win some wonderful titles," Hargreaves said. "I have won everything a player can in Germany - titles, the Champions League and even the World Club Championship.

"It is now about experiencing that somewhere else and I can't wait to start over again. The prospect of adding a Premiership winner's medal to my collection is incredibly exciting."

Hargreaves is unlikely to be the last high-profile arrival at Old Trafford over the close season, with Ferguson also keen on Sporting Lisbon winger Nani and Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o.

wag na si Eto'o primadona yan eh :thumbsdownsmiley:

i agree bringing joe cole on the left, but i'd rather drop lampard to the bench. i don't think gerrard and lampard play well together as they like moving to the same spaces. hargreaves is more defensive minded and would protect the back four.

yes, i agree but right now they need to have more fire power in attack considering the results of their past few games. playing gerrard and lampard, with their tendency to make runs at the penalty box would certainly help england's sputtering offence. no offense to hargreaves, but right now, england needs to score.

my all time favorite player rivaldo has just signed for aek athens, the biggest rival of his former team - olympiakos. this is akin to a barca player switching to real madrid. riva said he was forced out of olympiakos even after guiding them to the greek championship three years in a row. hopefully aek athens makes it to the group stages of the champions league...

agree. And GK dapat si Craig David... este David James

oh no wag si calamity James...eventhough he played well towards the tail end of the EPL..he still has poor decision making skill for a seasoned player like him...sayang si Kirkland...puro injury kse

yes, i agree but right now they need to have more fire power in attack considering the results of their past few games. playing gerrard and lampard, with their tendency to make runs at the penalty box would certainly help england's sputtering offence. no offense to hargreaves, but right now, england needs to score.

mclaren has been playing both lampard and gerrard in england's past fixtures, and they don't look in sync. most pundits agreed that lampard and gerrard looked like they were getting in each other's way. if mclaren fields both of them again, he has to make serious adjustments.

maybe take out crouch and make gerrard a support striker? but then again, crouch is now more crucial because his height makes him a perfect target for beckham's crosses...

oh no wag si calamity James...eventhough he played well towards the tail end of the EPL..he still has poor decision making skill for a seasoned player like him...sayang si Kirkland...puro injury kse

Yeah but I think he did better than Robinson this season.

and they got nani too, from sporting lisbon. man utd now has both of portugal's starting wingers, nani on the left and c ronaldo on the right.

sana wag sila magaya sa RM na naging puros Brazilero ang mga players and bigla silang mag-underperform like real has been doing the past 4 years :thumbsdownsmiley:

yeah, i hope not. but man u's style of buying players is very much different to RM's.

RM would rather spend on big names and established players whereas man u has shown its ability to sign 'questionable' players and see them grow into big time players. i can easily think of ruud van nistelrooy, who was plagued with injuries prior to his transfer to man u and ronaldo, who as still a teenager then at sporting lisbon.

i hope their faith on nani and anderson and hagreaves pays off

hindi nman nila talaga kailang ng MANU ng additional superstars eh,, kulang lang talaga ng striker and isang magaling na defender...

Yeah pero if i was sir alex id re-incorporate A. Smith back to the regular squad rather than spend a big sum on a new player. I mean A Smith is a good lad he just had a bad spell of injuries. I believe in that lad.

tama yun, A. Smith is a good, hard-nosed player, don't get rid of him, i think ManU has more than enough strikers in Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith, Louis Saha and Ole Gunner Solskjaer, but getting Fernando Torres won't hurt the rotation hehehe..

tama ulit yun, they need additional defenders, these are their defenders: Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown, John O' Shea, Gabriel Heinze, Patrice Evra, Kieran Richardson (O'shea, Evra and Richardson can also play as midfielders..)..personally O'shea defends like s@%t, they should get rid of him hehehe..Neville has a back-up at rightback in Brown, Brown & Heinze can also play in the middle in case Vidic or Ferdinand gets injured..at left back, they have 3players who can play, Evra, Heinze and Richardson..to sum things up, get rid of O'shea, buy a new defender..

nice, they got Hargreaves for 17mil, he can start as a holding/defending midfielder, and Carrick can back him up..i hope Hargreaves can do a better job than Carrick (very inconsistent but has the raw abilities if trained well to become a good player..)

the offensive midfield just got stronger with the arrival of nani and anderson..with scholes, giggs, c.ronaldo, park, fletcher and the 2 new boys, Sir Alex has strengthened ManU's attack..

*other news- Scott Parker, Newcastle midfielder, is close to sign to West Ham (good signing for the Hammer, imho)..

*Claudio Ranieri wants to become Man City Coach..

*Florent Malouda, French international defender of O. Lyon, leaving the club..interested clubs in him include Liverpool..

*Seth Blatter re-elected as FIFA president..

tama yun, A. Smith is a good, hard-nosed player, don't get rid of him, i think ManU has more than enough strikers in Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith, Louis Saha and Ole Gunner Solskjaer, but getting Fernando Torres won't hurt the rotation hehehe..

tama ulit yun, they need additional defenders, these are their defenders: Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown, John O' Shea, Gabriel Heinze, Patrice Evra, Kieran Richardson (O'shea, Evra and Richardson can also play as midfielders..)..personally O'shea defends like s@%t, they should get rid of him hehehe..Neville has a back-up at rightback in Brown, Brown & Heinze can also play in the middle in case Vidic or Ferdinand gets injured..at left back, they have 3players who can play, Evra, Heinze and Richardson..to sum things up, get rid of O'shea, buy a new defender..

nice, they got Hargreaves for 17mil, he can start as a holding/defending midfielder, and Carrick can back him up..i hope Hargreaves can do a better job than Carrick (very inconsistent but has the raw abilities if trained well to become a good player..)

the offensive midfield just got stronger with the arrival of nani and anderson..with scholes, giggs, c.ronaldo, park, fletcher and the 2 new boys, Sir Alex has strengthened ManU's attack..

I think Solskajaer should retire if F. Torrez decides to sign with united. Keeping too many strikers and not encorporating them in the squad will mke them loose their touch. (Look at Real's strikers and their lack of squad rotation. But,believe you me over-rotation is bad too. look at Liverpool whenever Benitez does too much rotation they end up loosing even though they played well.) Unted should sign good young defenders like Alex and Mexes. Alex woould be unted's Ashley Cole. Mexes would be like a Carragher.

*other news- Scott Parker, Newcastle midfielder, is close to sign to West Ham (good signing for the Hammer, imho)..

He is the NUFC capatin right? He better hold on now that Big Sam is the new NUFC gaffer. I hope Big sam would take a leaf out of the Bolton book and upgrade NUFC.

*Claudio Ranieri wants to become Man City Coach..

(a-hole mode,pardon me city fans if there are any)

For me there is only one team in Manchester, its Manchester United. Hiring another washed up rent-boy won't help your lot,specialy without some key players like James and Reyna.

*Florent Malouda, French international defender of O. Lyon, leaving the club..interested clubs in him include Liverpool..

United gould use a good defender like him. But if R. Carlols decides to retire this season, I think he would be a good replacement. Eventhough he is not an attact-minded/goal scorer like R. Carlos his a pretty solid defender so I think he would be ok for them.

*Seth Blatter re-elected as FIFA president..

wasn't Platini elected?

Edited by redshirt