The Football Thread

Labuyo

is this the one in the old greenbelt with the via mare,wendy's,etc...

fancy i MAY know a lil more of tagalog than you, so the translation of the above post is:

Not Greenbelt One (the old one), but in Greenbelt 3, near the cinemas on the third level. ;)

Have a feeling tht quite a few of the members of this thread will bump into each other there during WC season!

aren't you sad that highbury would be demolished soon? that building was home to several great footballing moments... :(

ok lang 'yun.just finished watching the last game at highbury.arsenal v. wigan, akala ko masisilat pa ang gunners.it was 2-1 in favour of paul jewell's men at some point.buti na lang mabilis ang reaction ng mga bata ni wenger and the match ended in a 4-2 result in favor of the gunners. it was a nice farewell to highbury and the win coupled with rival tottenham's loss at upton park against west ham guarantees arsenal will see european action next season whether they win the champions league or not.

the only question that remains is whether thierry henry will stay or it will be barcelona for him next season :thumbsupsmiley:

atleast arsenal won thir last game against wigan - 4-2. goodbye to highbury...

t** ang real nagdraw lgn against villareal. so close p dn ang 2nd place ng la liga. sevilla can go for fourth place if they win and score...

roma has to win their last game then fiorentina has to lose para pasok roma sa CL nx season...

EPL Final Results:

Champion: Chelsea

UEFA CL Group Stage Spots: Chelsea and ManUtd

UEFA CL 3rd Round Spots: Liverpool and Arsenal

UEFA Cup Spots: Spurs, Rovers and West Ham. If Middlesbrough wins, they qualify too.

UEFA Intertoto Cup Spot: Newcastle

Relegated: Birmingham, West Brom, Sunderland

Promoted: Reading, Sheffield Utd., plus winner of playoffs

poor Spurs, great game by Thierry Henry to win for Arsenal..

good win by Manchester United, bad news that Ruud wasn't available for the game because he went "home", what does that mean? is he leaving this summer, i hope they don't need to sell him in order to get new midfielders..

good win by Manchester United, bad news that Ruud wasn't available for the game because he went "home", what does that mean? is he leaving this summer, i hope they don't need to sell him in order to get new midfielders..

word on the street is that van nisteelroy will be out of old trafford next season.where he will end next is still not sure.pero sana nga makakuha ng quality players ang man.united para naman may challenge ang premiership.

sawa na ata si fergie kay rudd,parang yung nagyari kay becks,cantona,butt....pag sawa na si ferge bye bye ka na.i hope rudd play for internazionale or ac milan.

haven't you noticed ilang players na na magaling ang napalayas ni fergie sa old trafford pero siya nandun parin! sa tingin ko hes going for 20 years in old trafford before retirement...

cno kaya papalit?any candidates? :unsure:

Manchester United put £10 million price tag on van Nistelrooy

Written by: Francisco Barreto

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2006/may/09/...-van-nistelrooy

MANCHESTER, May 9 (SW) - Manchester United have put a £10 million price tag on striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, signalling that the Dutchman’s time with the Premiership club is over.

After learning that he had been dropped from the squad for United’s Premiership finale against Charlton Athletic on Sunday, van Nistelrooy left Old Trafford early, incensing United boss Sir Alex Ferguson in the process.

After Sunday’s match Ferguson, who has been unhappy with the striker’s attitude ever since he was dropped for the Carling Cup final on February 26, said: "There have been a couple of issues in training during the last week that have concerned me in terms of the team spirit.

"It was such an important day I wanted everyone to be together and because of that I felt Ruud should be left out. I will be discussing [his future] with the club's directors tomorrow and Tuesday."

Van Nistelrooy has also been told to stay away from Roy Keane’s testimonial tonight at Old Trafford, freeing the Dutchman to join the Holland squad as it prepares for this summer’s World Cup finals.

Van Nistelrooy, however, remains one of Europe’s most coveted strikers. He has scored 150 goals in 219 games for United, including 21 goals this season and has added another 38 goals in last 42 UEFA Champions League appearances.

The biggest clubs in Europe are sure to consider a bid – AC Milan, Juventus, Liverpool and Chelsea among them – with Newcastle United and Tottenham also eager to add a goal-scorer of van Nistelrooy’s quality.

________________________________________________________________________________

____

WWWHHHHAAATT!!! only 10 million pounds for Ruud Van Nistelrooy?!?!? that's a small price to pay for 150 goal striker, what the hell were they thinking, selling him for 10 million pounds?!?! i just hope 10 million pounds for Ruud can get ManUtd not one but several great midfielders..

Hhhhmmm, strikers left for ManUtd, well they have Rooney, Saha, Smith and Solskjaer..3 of them are injured, i do hope Sir Alex knows what he is doing..

List of things to get: we need to strengthen every position, i hope by the end of the summer, ManUtd will be a greater team & can challenge not only for the EPL but also the CL...

Go ManUtd!!!

Keane farewell to Man United fans

http://soccernet-att.espn.go.com/design05/images/domr/roykeanetestimonial_g.jpg

MANCHESTER, England, May 9 (Reuters) - Almost 70,000 fans filled Old Trafford on Tuesday to honour former captain Roy Keane's contribution to Manchester United.

Ireland midfielder Keane, 34, who joined Celtic in January after more than 12 1/2 years and close to 500 games for United, was given a fitting send off by the Manchester fans in a testimonial match won 1-0 by the home team.

Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo scored the only goal in the second half.

Keane, who won seven league titles and four FA Cups with United, swapped the green and white hoops of Celtic for the red of the Manchester club at halftime.

Playing one final time for United manager Alex Ferguson, who hailed Keane as one of the club's finest players of all time, the Irishman set up the winning goal for Ronaldo.

'You get clubs who are happy to come second or third. Not United,' Keane said in the match programme.

'The fans don't deserve anything less than winning and that's what the manager and the club are about.'

Keane also spoke briefly on the pitch at the end of the game, saying: 'This is something I will remember for the rest of my life'.

Edited by luol_deng
________________________________________________________________________________

____

WWWHHHHAAATT!!! only 10 million pounds for Ruud Van Nistelrooy?!?!? that's a small price to pay for 150 goal striker, what the hell were they thinking, selling him for 10 million pounds?!?! i just hope 10 million pounds for Ruud can get ManUtd not one but several great midfielders..

Hhhhmmm, strikers left for ManUtd, well they have Rooney, Saha, Smith and Solskjaer..3 of them are injured, i do hope Sir Alex knows what he is doing..

List of things to get: we need to strengthen every position, i hope by the end of the summer, ManUtd will be a greater team & can challenge not only for the EPL but also the CL...

Go ManUtd!!!

I hope Rossi gets more playing time next year coz this kid has amazing talent, it would be very sad for Van Nistelrooy to go and yea i feel the 10 million price tag is very low considering how such a fox he is in the box however that really states how much United want to offload him. If Van goes only Gary, Giggs, Scholes & Ole will be the players remaining from the time of the treble season.

Reading from other websites, sources say Fregie is planning to buy Cagliari's David Suazo, Lyon's Mahamadou Diarra, Tottenham Hotspur's Michael Carrick and Villarreal's Juan Roman Riquelme.

Sounds like a new generation at Old Trafford...

Can anyone confirm if Sprots Plus will truly be airing the games of the World Cup?

From an ad that they were showing, it will only be aired on a special package of sports plus, and only availablel to hotels and restaurants/bars. Is this true?

If so, this is a disservice to all football lovers. A lot of us would prefer to watch the games at home (live) at 3 am and not spend more in hotels/bars. This was the same with Dream. The 2002 games was the best time to promote football in the country because of the little time difference (1 hr) between Japan/Korea and the Philippines. Instead, it was only made available to those with satellite while majority of households already have cable.

I hope this will not be the case this time around.