The Football Thread

Labuyo

bakit pag united humabol sa carling cup nagiging bale wala?

ang chelsea last year ang holders nun bakit pag sila hindi hinabol? :hypocritesmiley:

as sabi nga sa sports center the press is always and will be against MANCHESTER UNITED :D

lol.... i guess the press are liverpool fans :P

tama si howard he missed the penalty :thumbsdownsmiley:

i hated him for that!!!  i was rooting for AC Milano allong with 60% of the footballing population....

damn lucky reds :lol:

i guess its one of those cinderella stories that had a very happy ending :thumbsupsmiley:

i hope that the time will come when we will troop to rizal memorial or ultra to watch a good football match featuring our national team... with the same passion we exude every time crowd darling ginebra goes for the titular...

at sana may astig na cheer ang mga pinoy... 'yung nakaka-tindig balahibo... kung may "you'll never walk alone" ang liverpool... at "i will survive" ang feyenoord at schalke 04... ano kaya ang magandang national cheer ng mga pinoy na  :cool: kantahin ng sabay-sabay?...

"pinoy" ng bamboo?...

"ako ay pilipino" ni kuh ledesma?...

"bayan kong pilipinas"?...

"pinoy big brother theme" ng orange and lemons?...

:rolleyes:

id go for sugod by sandwich para may paga post punk ang dating na medyo techno-rock :thumbsupsmiley:

bakit pag united humabol sa carling cup nagiging bale wala?

ang chelsea last year ang holders nun bakit pag sila hindi hinabol? :hypocritesmiley:

as sabi nga sa sports center the press is always and will be against MANCHESTER UNITED :D

there is a funny history between man.U and the carling cup....i can't recall the year but that was the time na ang lakas ng man. united 'nun. i think that was after their treble year. instead of defending their carling cup title the next year,they played in an invitational int'l tournament featuring different teams from the other leagues.

the exact words escapes me ryt now,pero alex ferguson said something to the effect that the carling cup is a worthless cup for him. :D

waiting for the kick-off sa second leg ng JUVE V. ARSENAL match-up. sana makaulit ang gunners to make thierry henry change his mind about moving to BARCA. and para sumaya na rin tuloy anak ko.he he he. :D latest to leave the gunners is fellow frenchman robert pires who reportedly will suit up for VILLAREAL next season

waiting for the kick-off sa second leg ng JUVE V. ARSENAL match-up. sana makaulit ang gunners to make thierry henry change his mind about moving to BARCA. and para sumaya na rin tuloy anak ko.he he he. :D  latest to leave the gunners is fellow frenchman robert pires who reportedly will suit up for VILLAREAL next season

sad to see another good player go.... hey if a liverpool player wants arsenal to win the whole thing... i'll support them too!!! go gunners!!!

CONRATULATIONS TEAM FOR THE FIGHTBACK!!!!!

http://www.the-afc.com/english/compe...ls&newsID=5551

Philippines hold Afghanistan 1-1

5 April 2006

CHITTAGONG: Afghanistan were held to a 1-1 draw by Philippines in their inconsequential final Group A game of the AFC Challenge Cup here at the MA Aziz Stadium on Wednesday.

The match was reduced to academic interest after India and Chinese Taipei played a goalless draw to ensure their qualification in the second round from this group.

Sayed Maqsood found the net for Afghanistan on a pass from Mohammad Jalal Afshar in the 26th minute. Afghanistan, who were held 2-2 by Chinese Taipei in their previous match, finished last in the group with two points while Philippines, also on two points, took the third spot on better goal difference. Mark Alvin Valeroso restored the parity for Philippines in the 61st minute.

Afghanistan failed to capitalise on a few goalscoring chances that came their way. In the 29th minute, Afghanistan’s Abdul Maroof Gullestani’s shot was brilliantly saved by Philippines goalkeeper Eduard Sacapano while seven minutes later Ahmad Wahid Abbasi’s solo effort hit the woodwork.

“It was a bad luck for us. We missed four golden chances. Had we scored those, it could have been in our favour. But still the tournament gave good experience to our players,” Afghan coach Mohammed Yousuf Kargar said.

Philippines coach Aris Caslib said the result was positive for his team. “We were behind by a goal but managed to split the points. The result is good for us,” he said.

there is a funny history between man.U and the carling cup....i can't recall the year but that was the time na ang lakas ng man. united 'nun. i think that was after their treble year. instead of defending their carling cup title  the next year,they played in an invitational int'l tournament  featuring different teams from the other leagues.

the exact words escapes me ryt now,pero alex ferguson said something to the effect that the carling cup is a worthless cup for him. :D

i think it was the world club championships in 2000... natalo ang ManU doon :lol:

Manchester United have announced a £56.5million shirt sponsorship deal with US insurance and financial services organisation, American International Group, Inc. (AIG).

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?i...icategoryid=119

naninibago pa ko sa bagong sponsor ng ManU, 4-yr deal ang agreement nila w/ AIG, nakita ko na yung jersey sa site nila, may malaking AIG sa harap..

Sa CL, Barcelona vs. Arsenal in the finals w/ Barcelona winning the CL, sa tingin ko..

:cool:

Middlesbrough savour late drama

Thursday, 6 April 2006

by Andrew Haslam from Middlesbrough

Substitute Massimo Maccarone scored a dramatic winning goal seconds before the final whistle as Middlesbrough FC sealed a 4-3 aggregate win, to reach the UEFA Cup semi-finals for the first time after a rousing second-half fightback against FC Basel 1893.

Rousing fightback

Christian Gross' Basel always looked in control, having earned a 2-0 victory on home soil in last week's first leg, and their grip on the tie was further strengthened by Eduardo's close-range finish midway through the first half. Mark Viduka struck twice either side of half-time to breathe fresh life into the Middlesbrough's challenge, however, and when Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink found the net with a thunderous strike moments after the dismissal of Basel's Swedish defender Daniel Majstorovic, the momentum was with the home side. With time almost up, Maccarone slid in the winning goal from a tight angle to crown a remarkable comeback and earn a last-four tie against FC Steaua Bucuresti.

Eduardo blow

The home team came close to halving their deficit in the opening seconds as Pascal Zuberbühler failed to collect George Boateng's high ball under pressure from Yakubu Ayegbeni but the Nigerian international's angled shot towards the unguarded goal rolled into the side-netting. Basel then served notice of their attacking intent as Mile Sterjovski was left unmarked from a free-kick to flick an effort wide, but Middlesbrough failed to heed the warning and another set-piece proved their undoing in the 23rd minute, Boris Smiljanic nodding Mladen Petrić's free-kick across goal for Eduardo to tap in at the far post.

Viduka response

That left the home side needing to score four times to stay in the competition, and they replied rapidly as Yakubu's physical presence unsettled the Basel defence and Viduka collected the loose ball before drilling a shot past Zuberbühler. The Basel goalkeeper preserved his side's two-goal aggregate advantage as the interval approached, however, stretching to palm Yakubu's effort around the post after a slick passing move had sliced open the visitors.

Hasselbaink strike

Urged on by tremendous home support Middlesbrough began the second period in frenetic fashion, with half-time substitute Hasselbaink and Viduka both forcing Zuberbühler into action. The Basel goalkeeper was powerless three minutes before the hour, however, Viduka collecting Yakubu's defence-splitting pass and rounding the goalkeeper to roll in before Majstorovic was sent off for a second bookable offence. Hasselbaink raised home hopes almost immediately with a thunderous shot from the edge of the area and just as it seemed Basel would hold out, Zuberbühler parried Fábio Rochemback's effort and Maccarone slid in the rebound from an acute angle to spark wild celebrations.

http://www.the-afc.com/english/national/de...=33&newsID=5499

Chinese Taipei overcome Philippines 1-0

1  April  2006

CHITTAGONG: A solitary goal by Wei-Lun Chuang helped Chinese Taipei overcome 10-man Philippines 1-0 in Group A match of the AFC Challenge Cup here at the MA Aziz Stadium on Saturday.

Chuang scored the all-important goal in the 19th minute to give his side three points from the opener. Philippines coach Aris Caslib blamed the defeat on the redcard. “It was a crucial moment of the match because we were attacking regularly at the rival citadel. We could have scored an equaliser,” he said.

Philippines got the first crack at the goal in the fifth minute but Gerald Orcullo failed to find the net on an Alexander Borromeo cross. Chinese Taipei got a chance five minutes later but Chien-Wei Liang’s header went wide. In the 44th minute, a shot by Philippines’ Ian Araneta was palmed out by Chinese Taipei custodian Jen-Feng Hsu.

Substitute Emelio Caligdong of the Philippines was redcarded in the 85th minute after he dangerously brought down Chinese Taipei’s Meng-Chian Lee.

Chinese Taipei’s assistant coach Wu-Yeh Chang said the players are not

acclimatized with the hot conditions here but hoped that their performance will improve in the remaining matches.

“Our players were very tired during the match because they are not used to these hot conditions and rigorous training since two days. I hope they will show better football in the remaining games,” he said.

http://www.the-afc.com/english/national/de...=33&newsID=5525

Philippines hold India 1-1

3  April  2006

CHITTAGONG: Philippines held title-contenders India 1-1 in their second Group A game of the inaugural AFC Challenge Cup here at the MA Aziz Stadium on Monday.

India’s hero in their 2-0 victory over Afghanistan in the opening match, Vimal Pariyar once again gave his side the lead in the eighth minute on a cross from captain N Pradeep but Philippines restored the parity through midfielder Mark Alvin Valeroso 10 minutes later. Valeroso’s header found the back of the net on a Jeremias Jiao corner.

Both the teams were engaged in a midfield battle since the beginning with India, playing sans injured Xavier Vijay Kumar, making a few good moves. In the 29th minute Pariyar’s shot from the edge of the area went wide and ten minutes later midfielder Lalmalsawma Hamar’s shot hit the crossbar.

Philippines dominated the second half but failed to find the match-winner. Valeroso’s solo effort in the 55th minute saw his shot sail over the bar while Indian custodian Paul Shilton made a diving save on a Alexander Borromeo shot in the 75th minute. James Gunn’s header on substitute Ian Araneta pass went wide three minutes before the final whistle.

Indian coach Islam Akhemdov was satisfied with the result saying his team still has a match in hand. “We lost nothing today and have a match in hand to qualify for the quarter-finals. I am happy with the result and the performance of the players,” he said.

“Philippines are strong team and they played good football. We had to adopt defensive strategy in the second half because our players were tired.” Akhmedov said he missed Xavier Vijay Kumar and the player is doubtful for the third match also.

Philippines coach Aris Caslib said: “Our FIFA ranking is much lower than India but we managed to hold them. It is a positive result for us.”

i hope that the time will come when we will troop to rizal memorial or ultra to watch a good football match featuring our national team... with the same passion we exude every time crowd darling ginebra goes for the titular...

at sana may astig na cheer ang mga pinoy... 'yung nakaka-tindig balahibo... kung may "you'll never walk alone" ang liverpool... at "i will survive" ang feyenoord at schalke 04... ano kaya ang magandang national cheer ng mga pinoy na  :cool: kantahin ng sabay-sabay?...

"pinoy" ng bamboo?...

"ako ay pilipino" ni kuh ledesma?...

"bayan kong pilipinas"?...

"pinoy big brother theme" ng orange and lemons?...

:rolleyes:

LET'S SUPPORT OUR TEAM!!!!

Somehow football is coming back. I hope the PFF will continue to develop and train harder.

Edited by dj_flip03
Maganda ang AC Milan-CF Barca na Final...

Teka muna, hindi ba nagkakagulo sa France? Paano na? :lol:

UEFA Cup Quarters:

Sevilla  4-1 Zenit

Basel 2-0 Middlesbrough

Rapid 1-1 Steaua

Sofia 1-3 Schalke

if barca arsenal ang finals,sana tamaan nng bote si rhonaldinio para sure win ang arsenal!!! :lol: (joke lng pls dont hate me catalans!) :thumbsupsmiley: