The Football Thread

Labuyo

George Best: 1946-2005

Footballing icon George Best passed away on Friday aged 59, finally succumbing after a valiant eight-week battle against illness. Best's finest moments as player came in 1968 when he was named European Player of the year and lifted the European Cup for Sir Matt Busby's famous Manchester United team.
ballack in real?...i dont they need ballack....manu needs ballack more than real...even arsenal....real needs defenders...reliable defenders!!!...adding ballack in real?..not a good idea...all are attacking midfielders....zidane, beckham, baptista, dunno if guti din....gravesen lng ang holding midfielder..oh well...

whos hitzfield btw?...sya daw ang pwedeng pumalit kay luzemburgo if luxemburgo screws up again and again

imo madrid will not get better even if they get a world-class defender.... he will still get exposed time and again.... unless they get the entire juve backline they will not get their defense sorted. :D

ballack is actually a good solution because he's a two-way player, able to attack and score goals but also win balls in midfield. madrid does not have that sort of player right now....... also, their key players are too old.

ottmar hitzfeld is the former manager of bayern munich. he's won the champions league with dortmund and bayern. good coach but too negative for me.....

anyway, my hope is that perez, sacchi, butragueno & co. continue to f**k it all up..... that will be to our advantage!

visca barca! :thumbsupsmiley:

lets support team philippines at the SEA Games!!!

bakit ba kasi sa bacolod, ang layo naman lol

kasi naman pare, pag sa maynila nilalangaw daw.... B)

dun sa bacolod 15k daw ang nanood sa thailand-pilipinas na laban..... talo nga lang tayo 1-0

kung sa maynila yun baka beinte lang ang manood :D

kasi tayong me interes manood may trabaho pa......

mga pare baka meron sa inyong may alam ng sched kahit hindi sa grupo ng pilipinas baka pwede na rin pagtiyagaan, paki-post naman dito..... sa marikina sports complex ba ang laro?

channel 4&5 ang sea games pero di pa ko nakakapanood ng soccer games, abang na lang siguro sa skeds..Go Team Philippines!!!!

as for manU, tama si luol deng, youth sys ang important but one thing is for sure, something has got to change this coming january transfer window, i agree with luol deng again, they need 2 central midfielders (both holding/defensive midfielders) as well as 2 defenders..but a winger as well, they need the crosses badly..smith i think is a quality player & can eventually claim scholes position, but he is not a holding midfielder, they also have park who can play in that position..i think fergie has plans & i trust in him to return the glory days, they need quality players to challenge chelsea&arsenal for the epl title as well as compete in the champions league..go ManU!!!

as for real madrid, they need quality defenders badly, they should emulate how barca built their team, from the back to the front, defense wins games, defense wins championships, they don't need ballack, strengthen their defense is the way to go..

top 5 in the epl, chelsea, manU, wigan, arsenal & bolton..wigan is an outstanding team, hope they can reach the uefa cup & continue their good performance & not lose their key players..

Mga Younghusband brothers ang nagdadala sa Team Pinas, Chelsea reserves sila.

Sana manalo bukas. Live daw ipapalabas! Show your support!!!

Current Standings:

GROUP A     W  L  D  GD Pts
Thailand    2  0  0  +2   6
Malaysia    1  1  0  +4   3
Philippines 1  1  0  +1   3
Cambodia    0  0  2  -7   0

GROUP B     W  L  D  GD Pts
Vietnam     3  1  0  +7   9
Indonesia   1  0  2  +1   5
Singapore   1  1  1   0   4
Laos        1  2  0  -6   3
Myanmar     0  2  1  -2   1

WOMEN'S     W  L  D  GD Pts
Myanmar     2  0  0  +6   6
Thailand    2  1  0  +1   6
Philippines 1  1  0  +1   3
Vietnam     1  1  0   0   3
Indonesia   0  3  0  -8   0

GO TEAM PHILIPPINES!!!

Must win situation for the Men's Team, kung mag-draw nga, e +4 ang goal difference ng Malaysia, kaya dapat manalo.

Men's Schedule:

November 28

5:00 PM = Malaysia vs. Philippines

7:30 PM = Cambodia vs. Thailand

Women's schedule:

PHI vs. VIE November 28, 6:30 PM

PHI vs. MYA November 30, 4:00 PM

Edited by howard_the_duck

The Philippines bowed out of the competition yesterday against Myanmar. The RP lady booters needed one more win and a helluva lot of goals to achieve to settle for bronze but the Burmese clobbered the Nationals, 3-1. That makes Thailand the unofficial winners for the bronze medal.

However, despite the loss, the Filipinos stayed behind and gave the RP footbelles their much deserved last ovation for they showed a never-say-die attitude 'till the referee's last whistle.. As I interviewed asst. manager of the RP women's team Catherine Revilla, she told me that the team feels thankful for the crowd support, in spite of the fact that basketball is the Philippines' #1 sport. She even reiterated that the country can excel in football since height is not a factor. Despite the poor showing in numbers, the Pinay booters gave the home crowd an impression of the future performances of the RP team in the football arena.

On a personal note, our lady booters deserve the attention because of how they fared well against other teams especially against Myanmar, Vietnam, and Thailand. With regard to their matches against the former two teams, they never gave and they increased the benchmark for future RP teams. They stood gallantly and fought valiantly. They showed that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel for Philippine football.

The lady booters should be given more training, proper training, that is. They should also be exposed to international competitions to get the feel of competing against foreign powerhouses by starting in the Southeast Asian region, not necessarily the SEA Games alone. Slowly but surely, we will be able to develop the much needed pool of talent and go on from there. The Philippines is the only country in Southeast Asia where football is not that spectacular, not that exciting, compared to basketball in the Filipino's mindset. We should change that. Wait, let me rephrase, we should balance such exposure by forming amateur leagues, not just mini-tournaments, for football. We only witness 7-aside, 9-aside tourneys, Ang Liga, and whatnot. What we have to have are LEAGUES and this has to go on year-in, year-out. Our men's football team is already on its takeoff but let's not just focus on the men's team. The RP women's team has the lineup, but they don't have the proper training. These footbelles really work hard just to get that "W." They train hard, work hard, and play hard but they do not have the proper training. With that, the team has to have a tough football program. With this in mind, the footbelles have to have support, not just morale boosting support, but also financial. The government and the Philippine Football Federation should work hand in hand to develop the potential of our homegrown players, not just the Fil-fors. Where can we find such players? Down south, in and around the Mindanao area like Dumaguete (where football is basketball; not literally), Cebu, Iloilo, and whatnot. These are where the untapped resources should be harvested and these will bear fruits for the future RP women's team. No doubt, we already have the support of the Filipino people, aside from football afficionados as what was seen in the SEA Games women's football competition.

As I see it, and as Ma'am Catherine sees it, the Philippines have nowhere to go but up AS LONG AS THE FOOTBALL TEAMS OF THE PHILIPPINES WILL GET THE PROPER TRAINING, THE RIGHT EXPOSURE, AND THE MUCH NEEDED SUPPORT FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND THE FEDERATION.

i have been watching our phil. soccer team play on television of course cause the venue is in bacolod and i lack the means to travel over there ,i should say that they are good but they can be better cause i can not help noticing that in every game they played we seem to lack on defence, yes we score 2-3 points and don't get me wrong i like us scoring those points but in return we give an ave. of 3-4 points to the oppositions and that's not good, our phil. team should focus more in defence and preventing their opponent to score and to control the game, having said these i pray for the best for our football team(men, women)and that someday we can enter the world cup

hopefully...sana buhay pko para mangyari un..makapsok ang pinas sa world cup...haha...

but a lot of things should be done first...a national league, bantayan ng mga schools ung soccer teams nila tapos sumali n dn ang soccer sa uaap or ncaa...tapos international exposure...etc etc...tapos bago world cup, afc muna...haha...

sino ba may connection sa pff dito at ano b ginagawa ng pff ntn?...

they need to tap 'em football-playin' half-pinoys in europe and america... as well as korea and japan... give them the opportunity to play in international tourneys... and represent the country... siguro naman may makukuha sila... sus... nagkalat ang mga pinoy sa buong mundo... kahit siguro sa africa... may half-pinoy na marunong maglaro ng football...

challenge na rin siguro para sa mga locals to hone their skills... macha-challenge sila sa spot sa team...

bakit kasi nagpupumilit tayo makipagsabayan sa basketball...

lecheng pulitika 'yan...

yun ang kulang sa wigan, wala silang mga superstar na pwedeng tumapat sa medyo mas malalakas na teams pero kaya nila magcompete sa epl w/ other promoted sides..

sino kaya bagong coach ng real madrid?

excited na ko sa champions league match ng manU vs. benfica, sana manalo manU para makaqualify sa CL, disaster pag natalo sila..go manU!..