• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

just got started in this hobby as a result of the gun ban (no airsoft for me til june :thumbsdownsmiley: ) currently building a tamiya m1a2 abrams 1/35 scale....

almost finish in building after two weeks and will probably start painting within the week... any tips regarding painting/weathering? i still don't have an airbrush and only have a spray can of tamiya acrylic (light brown/sand)... can you please help me on what color to use in weathering, is yellow sand and black ok? how about on the tracks? leaving the tracks black doesn't seem realistic on a weathered tank...

i hope i can make a beautiful finish by only using spray cans and brushes to encourage me more in building another model (might sell some of my airsoft stuffs to buy an airbrush in the future..hehehe)

my next target is an academy merkava or tamiya british challenger... i'm planning to complete modern mbt's including leclerc and leopard unfortunately no stocks are available at lil's park square, only the challenger is available... i'm also eyeing the bradley or scorpion but no stocks as well... need help also where to find these models..thanks!

will post my finished work soon

Edited by onamae_wa
just got started in this hobby as a result of the gun ban (no airsoft for me til june :thumbsdownsmiley: ) currently building a tamiya m1a2 abrams 1/35 scale....

almost finish in building after two weeks and will probably start painting within the week... any tips regarding painting/weathering? i still don't have an airbrush and only have a spray can of tamiya acrylic (light brown/sand)... can you please help me on what color to use in weathering, is yellow sand and black ok? how about on the tracks? leaving the tracks black doesn't seem realistic on a weathered tank...

i hope i can make a beautiful finish by only using spray cans and brushes to encourage me more in building another model (might sell some of my airsoft stuffs to buy an airbrush in the future..hehehe)

my next target is an academy merkava or tamiya british challenger... i'm planning to complete modern mbt's including leclerc and leopard unfortunately no stocks are available at lil's park square, only the challenger is available... i'm also eyeing the bradley or scorpion but no stocks as well... need help also where to find these models..thanks!

For a long time I used spray cans and weathered with acrylics, oils and pastels. Most of the time the results were acceptable to me, and sometimes I get lucky and get some real good weathering done without resorting to an airbrush. However, weathering with an airbrush can give your fantastic results if done properly. That being said, you can weather using a darker shade of yellow/sand by mixing it with brown or raw umber. If you mix too much sand with black you may get olive drab. For the tracks, metal parts will usually be brown or ground color, but if there are rubber pads, you can paint this with a dark gray, then weather the tracks. You can try other hobby shops for the Tamiya Leclerc but there is an old Heller kit for that. I suggest you look for the Tamiya one, the Heller is very hard to find and it is a multimedia kit. Academy has several Bradleys and AFV Club has a Scorpion.

thanks doc! i'm finished with the abrams just this weekend.. i sprayed for base color tamiya light brown/sand then wash it over with burnt umber then another wash with desert yellow...for the tracks i washed it over with a darker shade of burnt umber then dry brush with metallic gray... will post picture when i get some time

saw a bradley in MCS, hopefully its still there this weekend :rolleyes:

thanks doc! i'm finished with the abrams just this weekend.. i sprayed for base color tamiya light brown/sand then wash it over with burnt umber then another wash with desert yellow...for the tracks i washed it over with a darker shade of burnt umber then dry brush with metallic gray... will post picture when i get some time

saw a bradley in MCS, hopefully its still there this weekend :rolleyes:

For the Bradley, you have a choice between the Tamiya and the Academy kit. I would go for the Academy although it is a copy of the Tamiya, it comes with a partial interior, but it is not accurate. It needs a lot of scratchbuilding to bring it up to the OIF configuration. There are also a lot of motorization holes to fill but it is the same with the Tamiya kit. I wish they would issue a modern tooling of the Bradley, this is one of my favorite AFVs.

mga bossing, like to ask lang anong klaseng glue ang gagamitin pang dikit sa model? this will be my 1st time. my kit is a F-15j eagle by hobby kits.

I recommend Tamiya extra thin, or even the regular plastic cement that comes in bottles. There are of course other brands but Tamiya is the most readily available. Stay away from the tube glues that come with some kits, like Academy. Unless you know how to apply them properly, they can get messy.

I recommend Tamiya extra thin, or even the regular plastic cement that comes in bottles. There are of course other brands but Tamiya is the most readily available. Stay away from the tube glues that come with some kits, like Academy. Unless you know how to apply them properly, they can get messy.

ok thanks doc.

Please post some pix of your work in progress if you have time. There are several posters here who can help you or offer suggestions.

sure i will. kaso baka next week pa ako mag umpisa papa bili pa ako in cebu and will be doing it during blackouts lang which is 2-3x a day :D

btw bout painting it. can i just the spray paint being sold sa paintshop? lacquer paint ba yun?

sure i will. kaso baka next week pa ako mag umpisa papa bili pa ako in cebu and will be doing it during blackouts lang which is 2-3x a day :D

btw bout painting it. can i just the spray paint being sold sa paintshop? lacquer paint ba yun?

Next week or thereafter would be fine. About the hardware sprays, generally they're good especially if it's the Rustoleum brand. I found out that using the cheaper sprays, you have to really shake the can for a long long time otherwise the pigment doesn't mix well with the carrier. Take a look at the missing lynx webpage, I think they have an article there on the technique for using spray cans. Be sure to start and end the spray before and after the pass thru the model. Start with mist coats and work your way to several coats for coverage. Good luck!

Next week or thereafter would be fine. About the hardware sprays, generally they're good especially if it's the Rustoleum brand. I found out that using the cheaper sprays, you have to really shake the can for a long long time otherwise the pigment doesn't mix well with the carrier. Take a look at the missing lynx webpage, I think they have an article there on the technique for using spray cans. Be sure to start and end the spray before and after the pass thru the model. Start with mist coats and work your way to several coats for coverage. Good luck!

had check witht he missing lynx website wala dun bout paiting with spray cans. but i saw some tutorials in tamiya website,

http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/2.htm

Ja! Ohayo Gozaimasu! Hajimemáshite. Watashi wa Severino Villalon desu. Jun to yonde kudasai. Dozo yoroshiku onegai shimazu. Genki desu ka.

Shitsúrei desu ga, onamae wa.

Jun

Ja! Ohayo Gozaimasu! Hajimemáshite. Watashi wa Severino Villalon desu. Jun to yonde kudasai. Dozo yoroshiku onegai shimazu. Genki desu ka.

Shitsúrei desu ga, onamae wa.

Jun