Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

thanks doc! i'm finished with the abrams just this weekend.. i sprayed for base color tamiya light brown/sand then wash it over with burnt umber then another wash with desert yellow...for the tracks i washed it over with a darker shade of burnt umber then dry brush with metallic gray... will post picture when i get some time

saw a bradley in MCS, hopefully its still there this weekend :rolleyes:

For the Bradley, you have a choice between the Tamiya and the Academy kit. I would go for the Academy although it is a copy of the Tamiya, it comes with a partial interior, but it is not accurate. It needs a lot of scratchbuilding to bring it up to the OIF configuration. There are also a lot of motorization holes to fill but it is the same with the Tamiya kit. I wish they would issue a modern tooling of the Bradley, this is one of my favorite AFVs.

mga bossing, like to ask lang anong klaseng glue ang gagamitin pang dikit sa model? this will be my 1st time. my kit is a F-15j eagle by hobby kits.

I recommend Tamiya extra thin, or even the regular plastic cement that comes in bottles. There are of course other brands but Tamiya is the most readily available. Stay away from the tube glues that come with some kits, like Academy. Unless you know how to apply them properly, they can get messy.

I recommend Tamiya extra thin, or even the regular plastic cement that comes in bottles. There are of course other brands but Tamiya is the most readily available. Stay away from the tube glues that come with some kits, like Academy. Unless you know how to apply them properly, they can get messy.

ok thanks doc.

Please post some pix of your work in progress if you have time. There are several posters here who can help you or offer suggestions.

sure i will. kaso baka next week pa ako mag umpisa papa bili pa ako in cebu and will be doing it during blackouts lang which is 2-3x a day :D

btw bout painting it. can i just the spray paint being sold sa paintshop? lacquer paint ba yun?

sure i will. kaso baka next week pa ako mag umpisa papa bili pa ako in cebu and will be doing it during blackouts lang which is 2-3x a day :D

btw bout painting it. can i just the spray paint being sold sa paintshop? lacquer paint ba yun?

Next week or thereafter would be fine. About the hardware sprays, generally they're good especially if it's the Rustoleum brand. I found out that using the cheaper sprays, you have to really shake the can for a long long time otherwise the pigment doesn't mix well with the carrier. Take a look at the missing lynx webpage, I think they have an article there on the technique for using spray cans. Be sure to start and end the spray before and after the pass thru the model. Start with mist coats and work your way to several coats for coverage. Good luck!

Next week or thereafter would be fine. About the hardware sprays, generally they're good especially if it's the Rustoleum brand. I found out that using the cheaper sprays, you have to really shake the can for a long long time otherwise the pigment doesn't mix well with the carrier. Take a look at the missing lynx webpage, I think they have an article there on the technique for using spray cans. Be sure to start and end the spray before and after the pass thru the model. Start with mist coats and work your way to several coats for coverage. Good luck!

had check witht he missing lynx website wala dun bout paiting with spray cans. but i saw some tutorials in tamiya website,

http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/2.htm

Ja! Ohayo Gozaimasu! Hajimemáshite. Watashi wa Severino Villalon desu. Jun to yonde kudasai. Dozo yoroshiku onegai shimazu. Genki desu ka.

Shitsúrei desu ga, onamae wa.

Jun

just got started in this hobby as a result of the gun ban (no airsoft for me til june :thumbsdownsmiley: ) currently building a tamiya m1a2 abrams 1/35 scale....

almost finish in building after two weeks and will probably start painting within the week... any tips regarding painting/weathering? i still don't have an airbrush and only have a spray can of tamiya acrylic (light brown/sand)... can you please help me on what color to use in weathering, is yellow sand and black ok? how about on the tracks? leaving the tracks black doesn't seem realistic on a weathered tank...

i hope i can make a beautiful finish by only using spray cans and brushes to encourage me more in building another model (might sell some of my airsoft stuffs to buy an airbrush in the future..hehehe)

my next target is an academy merkava or tamiya british challenger... i'm planning to complete modern mbt's including leclerc and leopard unfortunately no stocks are available at lil's park square, only the challenger is available... i'm also eyeing the bradley or scorpion but no stocks as well... need help also where to find these models..thanks!

will post my finished work soon

Ja! Ohayo Gozaimasu! Hajimemáshite. Watashi wa Severino Villalon desu. Jun to yonde kudasai. Dozo yoroshiku onegai shimazu. Genki desu ka.

Shitsúrei desu ga, onamae wa.

Jun

just got started in this hobby as a result of the gun ban (no airsoft for me til june :thumbsdownsmiley: ) currently building a tamiya m1a2 abrams 1/35 scale....

almost finish in building after two weeks and will probably start painting within the week... any tips regarding painting/weathering? i still don't have an airbrush and only have a spray can of tamiya acrylic (light brown/sand)... can you please help me on what color to use in weathering, is yellow sand and black ok? how about on the tracks? leaving the tracks black doesn't seem realistic on a weathered tank...

i hope i can make a beautiful finish by only using spray cans and brushes to encourage me more in building another model (might sell some of my airsoft stuffs to buy an airbrush in the future..hehehe)

my next target is an academy merkava or tamiya british challenger... i'm planning to complete modern mbt's including leclerc and leopard unfortunately no stocks are available at lil's park square, only the challenger is available... i'm also eyeing the bradley or scorpion but no stocks as well... need help also where to find these models..thanks!

will post my finished work soon

Speaking of priming your plastic scale models, I discovered a spray can paint branded as TOA. I found it available at Handyman Hardware stores. It is labeled "Plastic Primer". It's about 250ml in size and costs a little over a hundred bucks. The texture (and color) is similar to Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Surfacer 1000 (more close to about 750 I would say). It is a tough primer though and I've used it extensively. Cheap too. I learned to decant it from the can and use it on my airbrush to save on cost and not spray everything to kingdom come. You might like to try it.

Jun

I have used Pylox for priming. It should be OK, just be sure to shake it really well. Try to see this article too:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...stic_model.html

Speaking of priming your plastic scale models, I discovered a spray can paint branded as TOA. I found it available at Handyman Hardware stores. It is labeled "Plastic Primer". It's about 250ml in size and costs a little over a hundred bucks. The texture (and color) is similar to Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Surfacer 1000 (more close to about 750 I would say). It is a tough primer though and I've used it extensively. Cheap too. I learned to decant it from the can and use it on my airbrush to save on cost and not spray everything to kingdom come. You might like to try it.

Jun

thanks for the tip. will try to look for that here

Jun

I think I've seen the TOA brand but haven't noticed that it's supposed to be a plastic primer. This is worth looking into, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys? Where is everybody? So far have used dot filters on the Bradley, it helped tone down the decals. I've detail painted the on vehicle tools but have yet to paint the headlights and taillights. After this a wash of raw umber, then flatcoat and drybrushing. Hope to finish this beast by this weekend. Will be starting on a 1/72 Academy Starfighter. I just want to know if kits like this can be done out of the box over a weekend. Cheers!

Dr. Pepper,

You forgot to mention IPMS Manila's website and forum as well as IPMS Stockholm. There's a wealth of information there also.

Jun

Finally! A thread on scale modeling! Like you, I used to build military scale models when I was in grade school but of course, when I got into high school, I discovered girls and having "toys" wasn't considered really kewl.

Like the other poster said, Lil's has probably the best selection at reasonable prices. You can also try the Special Toys and Hobbies chain but personally I don't see eye to eye with Winston, he gave me some bad advice a few years ago. If you go to Lil's Glorietta, try to talk to Jo, she's my contact when it comes to buying kits. Go also to Makati Cinema Square and look for Roel's shop, its called Hobbies and Comics, you can't miss it becoz he has some models on display. If Roel is in, you can ask him for advice too.

For more info, I suggest you google the following websites:

IPMS Philippines Bert Anido Chapter

Fine Scale Models

Aircraftresourcecenter.com

Hyperscale.com

Missing Links

Perth Military Modeling Society

You will find the latest news about the hobby as well as galleries and articles of model builds. They also have very good tips and tricks.

So much has changed about this hobby, you have better kits, more aftermarket as well as new techniques and approaches to painting and finishing. This is now an adult hobby and you can tell by the costs of the kits and tools. Enjoy the hobby dude, its a great way to unwind.

Oo nga ano... Susmaryosep... Senior moment nanaman!

But seriously, the forum has been quiet lately... Maybe people are busy preparing for the coming elections.

Now back to modeling...

Jun

Ah there you are sir! You are quoting a 2006 post, sir, I was a lot more ignorant then, my apologies.

Long time no post... Medyo busy nga this summer (fighting the heat!) Was able to do some work on some sci fi and figure models but nothing finished as of yet. Will post when some stuff is completed. Nice Bradley Dr Pep!

Oo nga ano... Susmaryosep... Senior moment nanaman!

But seriously, the forum has been quiet lately... Maybe people are busy preparing for the coming elections.

Now back to modeling...

Jun

Ah yes, the heat. When I can't sleep I try to do some detail painting. Because it's so hot the paint tends to dry a lot quicker. Yes, the elections and other distractions have eaten a lot of my model building time, but that's not going to stop me from buying a few Trumpeter kits this weekend.

Edited by Dr_PepPeR

Which reminds me... I just got the Kawanishi Mavis from STC sa Greenhills. 1:144 scale. I hope it turns out nice when I make it.

Jun

Ah yes, the heat. When I can't sleep I try to do some detail painting. Because it's so hot the paint tends to dry a lot quicker. Yes, the elections and other distractions have eaten a lot of my model building time, but that's not going to stop me from buying a few Trumpeter kits this weekend.

Which reminds me... I just got the Kawanishi Mavis from STC sa Greenhills. 1:144 scale. I hope it turns out nice when I make it.

Jun

I've always been resentful of modelers who can do braille scale. My eyesight and coordination are not as good as it was some decades ago. I'm gonna buy me some 1/32 Trumpeter jets!

Edited by Dr_PepPeR

I really have very little choice... If I build big ones, my wife will make them smaller (by throwing them out the window)... so I bought a large magnifying lens with light instead. Found mine at Panda Construction Supply along Araneta Ave. in QC. PhP 1550 only

Jun

I've always been resentful of modelers who can do braille scale. My eyesight and coordination are not as good as it was some decades ago. I'm gonna buy me some 1/32 Trumpeter jets!