Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

You want to try mixing food coloring with future to get clear lavender? Lavender eh, what's it for? :rolleyes:

Great idea! Will try that! Lavender color are for the "eyes" of a robot. The kit came with clear parts and gave lavender colored stickers. What a waste - covering the clear eyes with stickers (not even decals!).

I like the build and take home concept! Specially if there are people present to give tips on how to cut parts from the sprue, apply glue, etc. Maybe a hobby store can sponsor one during the next exhibit, with several masters giving tips. That's instantaneous sales for the store!

Great idea! Will try that! Lavender color are for the "eyes" of a robot. The kit came with clear parts and gave lavender colored stickers. What a waste - covering the clear eyes with stickers (not even decals!).

I like the build and take home concept! Specially if there are people present to give tips on how to cut parts from the sprue, apply glue, etc. Maybe a hobby store can sponsor one during the next exhibit, with several masters giving tips. That's instantaneous sales for the store!

How about attaching the sticker to the part where the clear part is attached? That way when they look through the lens they will see the lavender color at the back. Or just paint the part lavender and attach the clear part with white glue or crystal clear and then the lavender color can be seen thru the clear part.

You'd be surprised how shortsighted some hobby store owners are. Some that I know wouldn't even spend one centavo on promoting their wares if it meant giving away free kits. The concept of marketing is completely lost to some of our retailers and their only prevailing concern is to rack up profits without any longterm development of their target market.

I buy a kit for about a thousand pesos. How long will it keep me happily occupied? About a year if I rush it. This hobby is still cheap! I spend three times that much in a certain place and it only keeps me happily occupied for an hour and a half!

Dr. Pep.

I know where that place is! hahahaha. Seriously, you're right. This isn't too expensive in the long run when juxtaposed against other comparable hobbies. Airsoft would cost you easily 8 to 9 for the gun and 400php for each game (game fee, bb's transportation etc.) if you play 4 times a month thats 1600Php already not to mention maintenance.

Perhaps it really boils down to people nowadays wanting immediate results and disliking to wait. We notice this even in the kids who build models - pabilisan ng gawa ang gusto nila! Convenience, immediate results and instant gratification seem to be the common mindset across many hobbies and activities.

Hey, even in relationships we see fewer people getting married (and at an older age too!) and more of them engaging in the more convenient "casual arrangements" that we are too accustomed to here on MTC.

I'm not surprised that modeling isn't as popular as it once was.

You'd be surprised how shortsighted some hobby store owners are. Some that I know wouldn't even spend one centavo on promoting their wares if it meant giving away free kits. The concept of marketing is completely lost to some of our retailers and their only prevailing concern is to rack up profits without any longterm development of their target market.

I was thinking along the lines of the "paint-a-plaster-of-paris-figure" that started in malls several years ago. The customer buys the figure, and they get to paint it there with (i think) free water color.

Using a similar business model, the hobby store (or model company) will put up a booth to sell the kits to those interested to build on the spot, and they get to assemble it there with free advise from the veterans of the model builders guild. The kits won't be free. Maybe they can sell at their current prices, but provide free cement that will be on the building table. It can be bolted to a giant plate to prevent it from toppling and spilling (and from being stolen). Or if they like, they can offer snap-tite kits so no more glue, but offer it at a discount. The concept is that the intended customer can finish the build in an hour or two, be relatively easy to build for a newbie, and isn't that expensive. Hmmm. looks like something for Trumpeter or Hobby Boss to look into!

Heck, if my family went shopping in the mall and I see this, I'd prefer to stay here and have some sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

There are many sources for brushes. Deovir is one source of cheap but reliable brushes. National Bookstore, St. Patrick's Commercial and Enriquez Art Supply are another source of high-quality and high-end brushes. the "nylon" brush na colored orange you are referring to is not nylon... It's made of Polyamide bristles.

Jun

paot naman..where can i get some grumbacher brushes? i need nylon tip(orange) # 0,00 and 000

I agree with you... In fact, Bankee Trading (the official distributor of Bandai) has been doing this for a while now. They normally do a Make and Take everytime they go on exhibits in malls.

The nice thing about their kits is that it can be done in a few hours and they are already colored. The problem with most kits in our genre is that they are not possible to be completed in a couple of hours. Maybe you can do this for Hobby Boss I think, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I do not think a hobby store would sponsor such a make and take event but maybe a manufacturer or distributor would.

Jun

I was thinking along the lines of the "paint-a-plaster-of-paris-figure" that started in malls several years ago. The customer buys the figure, and they get to paint it there with (i think) free water color.

Using a similar business model, the hobby store (or model company) will put up a booth to sell the kits to those interested to build on the spot, and they get to assemble it there with free advise from the veterans of the model builders guild. The kits won't be free. Maybe they can sell at their current prices, but provide free cement that will be on the building table. It can be bolted to a giant plate to prevent it from toppling and spilling (and from being stolen). Or if they like, they can offer snap-tite kits so no more glue, but offer it at a discount. The concept is that the intended customer can finish the build in an hour or two, be relatively easy to build for a newbie, and isn't that expensive. Hmmm. looks like something for Trumpeter or Hobby Boss to look into!

Heck, if my family went shopping in the mall and I see this, I'd prefer to stay here and have some sense of accomplishment at the end of the day.

I think I know who you are referring to... By any chance does this person have more than one shop? And does this person have kits "on sale" (or so this person thinks it is) now because the store's warehouse was affected by Ondoy? :P

Jun

Dr. Pep.

I know where that place is! hahahaha. Seriously, you're right. This isn't too expensive in the long run when juxtaposed against other comparable hobbies. Airsoft would cost you easily 8 to 9 for the gun and 400php for each game (game fee, bb's transportation etc.) if you play 4 times a month thats 1600Php already not to mention maintenance.

Perhaps it really boils down to people nowadays wanting immediate results and disliking to wait. We notice this even in the kids who build models - pabilisan ng gawa ang gusto nila! Convenience, immediate results and instant gratification seem to be the common mindset across many hobbies and activities.

Hey, even in relationships we see fewer people getting married (and at an older age too!) and more of them engaging in the more convenient "casual arrangements" that we are too accustomed to here on MTC.

I'm not surprised that modeling isn't as popular as it once was.

Just look at what the RC stuff costs! I think Lil's really makes their money from RC kits and the static models are just gravy.

It may be true that instant gratification is the in thing now, but even when I was a kid, I wanted to finish a kit within the day so I could play with it. I don't see anything wrong with kids rushing to finish their kits. As long as they build them, that would be enough. They can learn patience when they grow older. Maybe.

I agree with you... In fact, Bankee Trading (the official distributor of Bandai) has been doing this for a while now. They normally do a Make and Take everytime they go on exhibits in malls.

The nice thing about their kits is that it can be done in a few hours and they are already colored. The problem with most kits in our genre is that they are not possible to be completed in a couple of hours. Maybe you can do this for Hobby Boss I think, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I do not think a hobby store would sponsor such a make and take event but maybe a manufacturer or distributor would.

Jun

I may be stepping out of line here, but what if the clubs make this part of the contest/event? Sponsorship by stores/manufacturers/distributers would be solicited but at least having multiple sponsors would help defray the costs.

I think I know who you are referring to... By any chance does this person have more than one shop? And does this person have kits "on sale" (or so this person thinks it is) now because the store's warehouse was affected by Ondoy? :P

Jun

Hahaha. Is this person's stores located in Manila, Cubao and Alabang?

Uhm... who would this be? I'm totally clueless.

Ok enough talking for me and back to modeling! :thumbsupsmiley:

I always wanted to try this figure in woodland just for the heck of it!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003a.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003b.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003d.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003e.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003h.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003i.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003j.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/9723761/iraq2003k.jpg

I'm working on two anime figures now...

Col. Motoko Kusanagi of Ghost in the Shell and Chii of Chobits. I'm having a lot of trouble with the skin tone and eyes. anime and normal military figures are very different. I'll post the pictures when they're done.

Jun

I really should try figures. Tamiya's 1/16th looks interesting. Then I can go into female fantasy figures.
I'm working on two anime figures now...

Col. Motoko Kusanagi of Ghost in the Shell and Chii of Chobits. I'm having a lot of trouble with the skin tone and eyes. anime and normal military figures are very different. I'll post the pictures when they're done.

Jun

That's exactly why I want to go into fantasy female figures, getting the skin tone just right would be the challenge. Are there any cheap kits out there to practice on?

They are quite expensive. I normally buy from ebay. There are makers there (mostly from Thailand) who charge less even if you add in the cost of shipping. I just bought the Motoko Kusanagi kit from there and it cost me US$12 plus US$18 for shipping. Add in 35 pesos taxes so you would roughly spend about PhP1500 for the kit. If you buy at the stores here, they would cost anywhere from 2K and up (for the same quality).

But be careful. Make sure that the person you are buying from at ebay has a good track record. So far, my sources have been reliable. My problem is really a personal paradigm shift since figure making is a totally different field and the "tools" of the trade are very different. You'll have to unlearn and relearn a lot of stuff... You'll have to learn to use a special form of Sculpey for re-sculpting errors in the kits or revisions of the poses, a new method of assembly (pinning), using CA glue to assemble everything, blending and feathering techniques in painting, etc. It's a whole different world within the modeling universe... but it's fun and I'll tell you once you begin it, you'll be stuck. Just ask Steiner...

If you want to learn more about anime figure modeling, check out www.codyscoop.com. It's a website specifically for the figure modeler. There are others but so far, he's one of the best I've seen. The maker is a guy named Cody Kwok (Chinese American from what I could gather).

Jun

That's exactly why I want to go into fantasy female figures, getting the skin tone just right would be the challenge. Are there any cheap kits out there to practice on?
They are quite expensive. I normally buy from ebay. There are makers there (mostly from Thailand) who charge less even if you add in the cost of shipping. I just bought the Motoko Kusanagi kit from there and it cost me US$12 plus US$18 for shipping. Add in 35 pesos taxes so you would roughly spend about PhP1500 for the kit. If you buy at the stores here, they would cost anywhere from 2K and up (for the same quality).

But be careful. Make sure that the person you are buying from at ebay has a good track record. So far, my sources have been reliable. My problem is really a personal paradigm shift since figure making is a totally different field and the "tools" of the trade are very different. You'll have to unlearn and relearn a lot of stuff... You'll have to learn to use a special form of Sculpey for re-sculpting errors in the kits or revisions of the poses, a new method of assembly (pinning), using CA glue to assemble everything, blending and feathering techniques in painting, etc. It's a whole different world within the modeling universe... but it's fun and I'll tell you once you begin it, you'll be stuck. Just ask Steiner...

If you want to learn more about anime figure modeling, check out www.codyscoop.com. It's a website specifically for the figure modeler. There are others but so far, he's one of the best I've seen. The maker is a guy named Cody Kwok (Chinese American from what I could gather).

Jun

Yes, in fact, it was when I was viewing Cody's figures that I was struck with the urge to do anime females. Doesn't Winston have something in his shop that's cheaper so I can practice first before I get the quality stuff?

Honestly, nope... Most of his figures are in Tetuan, Cubao and Greenhills. Natalie of JMN has some but not much - prices are a little lower but not by much.

Figures are a little expensive kasi. Look at the prices when you buy them directly from Japan! Hihimatayin ka!

Jun

Yes, in fact, it was when I was viewing Cody's figures that I was struck with the urge to do anime females. Doesn't Winston have something in his shop that's cheaper so I can practice first before I get the quality stuff?