Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

i've only seen needles higher than gauge 21 at mercury. yes sir i use them for paints. malaki kasi gauge 14 sakto para malipat ang kalahating bote ng paint kahit malapot pa hehehe :)

Oh you want really big needles? Why not try veterinary supplies? I once saw a big plastic syringe in a pet shop that is used for forcing down liquid medicine to a dog's throat. To transfer paint I just use a laboratory styrette, you know, one of those long glass tubes open at both ends? I dip it in the paint bottle, cover the other opening with my thumb and presto!

Thanks gents for the compliments.

Doc,

I printed out the decals from Scopa sheet. Had to do the graphics for it myself too.

I use bottled hardware thinner to clean airbrushes too. Im probably more of a cheapskate than you, Doc.

:D

Ah I didn't see the last line in your post. You're not a cheapskate. I would have handpainted the graphics using masking tape. I even reuse old masking tape, it has almost no adhesive left so less chances of lifting paint. I'm cheapskater than you sir.

I even reuse old masking tape, it has almost no adhesive left so less chances of lifting paint.[/b]

:lol:

I do that too. Sometimes if I dont have anything to mask after painting Id just stick the used tape onto the cutting mat and let them stay there until right about that time their tacks become too sticky for comfort. Just in case I had to paint something and require used masking tape.

:lol:

I do that too. Sometimes if I dont have anything to mask after painting Id just stick the used tape onto the cutting mat and let them stay there until right about that time their tacks become too sticky for comfort. Just in case I had to paint something and require used masking tape.

I hear ya Herr Boelcke. My wife thinks I'm crazy whenever I try to salvage old motors, wires, plastic containers, bottle caps, paper lining from shoes and clothes, coffee stirrers and other garbage.

The one thing that has really helped my building kits is a dedicated area for working. I used to work literally "out-of-the-box" with any kit, so I had to put all the sprues, cement and tools in the box after every session and bring it out again when I felt like working. Most of the time I was just too lazy to even look at it. Now I can work on 3 or 4 kits at a time, knowing I don't have to clean up my mess as often.

boelcke, nice job on the jumbo jet sir! how was the custom decal done?

dr. pepper, I'm guilty on point #9. paint under the fingernails. I was getting funny looks after a handshake since I was using red paint the night before :D

weather is finally improving and I can start painting again. time to start building kits and stop collecting!

boelcke, nice job on the jumbo jet sir! how was the custom decal done?

I used Scopa decal paper and a computer. The "Philippines" marks and the registry numbers are easy enough, but for the tail, winglets and doors and windows I actually had to do the artwork for that. Well actually, artwork per se is relatively easy, whats difficult is ensuring theyre in the right scale and specs once printed.

Doc,

Theres still time. Build! Build! Build!

:)

I used Scopa decal paper and a computer. The "Philippines" marks and the registry numbers are easy enough, but for the tail, winglets and doors and windows I actually had to do the artwork for that. Well actually, artwork per se is relatively easy, whats difficult is ensuring theyre in the right scale and specs once printed.

Doc,

Theres still time. Build! Build! Build!

:)

I like your optimism Herr Boelcke! Looking forward to the long weekend, can't wait to get back to my builds. The oil washes on my Bradley should be completely dried by now.

Didn't get to do anything this weekend model-building wise. I was planning to paint this Saturday but the whole day long brownout prevented me from using my airbrush. Went to Lil's instead and I couldn't help it, bought two brand new Dragon kits that just arrived, the Wirbelwind and the Brumbarr with zimmerit. There were more new Dragon kits but I only had so much cash.

i finally tried decanting paint from spray can. i took that plastic tube that fits around those big syringe needles and used super glue to stick it to the spray can nozzle. then sprayed it to an empty Tamiya thinner bottle. i think this is way cheaper right guys? 200 plu yata ang Tamiya spray paint na 100ml. compared to a 10ml that goes for 75 pesos? now how long will i have to leave the bottle open before i could store it?

Yo guys! I was there with the guys from IPMS Manila during the live interview of the program Shop Talk hosted by Ms. Pia Hontiveros (very attractive woman - Dr. Pepper, you should have been there...). I was really surprised at the response. The problem is they are in need of assistance and guidance.

It is a good thing we have a forum such as this where they can air their concerns and questions as well as get responses from experts like you guys. I would say the show really proved that the hobby is still alive and well in this country.

By the way, Herr Boelke, I have the same Kitech kit and I was also planning to use the Philipine Airlines look (the kit had thai Airways, if I'm not mistaken) but was too afraid to even try. Great work my friend... You just inspired me to strive for this level of excellence...

Best Regards to All!!!

Jun

Whew! haven't posted here in a while. Just wanted to invite everyone with ANC channel sa cable to watch Pia Hontiveros' "shop talk" tomorrow (Wednesday November 4) at 3pm to 4pm. The episode will feature IPMS Manila and the hobby of scale modeling. Cheers!

Bugoy,

I ran a lecture on that during one of the IPMS Manila meetings. I showed the technique used by Brett Green of Testors. He used a drinking straw (the kind you get from Jollibee except that it was the bending type) stuck to the nozzle with Blu-tack (to ensure a good seal) and a piece of Glad Stretch Wrap (the one you use to store food in refrigerators) stretched along the mouth of the receiving bottle. The video is available on YouTube. The reminder there was to keep the bottle open and placed inside a larger bottle (about thrice the size - he used as large jar) for a few days to allow for expending the compressed air dissolved in the paint. He warned that to immediately close the bottle would only trap the pressure inside and when you try to open it next time, you'll end up wearing the paint on you.

Now Brett Green's technique can assure you of a longer shelf-life for the spray type paint since you will not be removing the entire contents from the bottle (as against another technique I got which recommends puncturing a small hole and removing the entire contents onto another container). Spray can paint can last you a long time if properly kept in a cool place and the nozzle kept free from obstructions (like dried paint).

With reference to the economy of using these spray paints, the answer is yes - from a certain point of view. Remember that a can holds 100 ml of ready to use paint while a Gunze equivalent when thinned for airbrush use would be about 40ml (my estimate lang). So it is cheaper if you consider volume against cost. If you consider that you really will not use that much paint and it will eventually dry due to non-use, then maybe you should consider using the lesser volume instead. I guess it boils down to how much paint you really need in the first place. No sense in buying things you really do not need...

Jun

Yo guys! I was there with the guys from IPMS Manila during the live interview of the program Shop Talk hosted by Ms. Pia Hontiveros (very attractive woman - Dr. Pepper, you should have been there...). I was really surprised at the response. The problem is they are in need of assistance and guidance.

It is a good thing we have a forum such as this where they can air their concerns and questions as well as get responses from experts like you guys. I would say the show really proved that the hobby is still alive and well in this country.

By the way, Herr Boelke, I have the same Kitech kit and I was also planning to use the Philipine Airlines look (the kit had thai Airways, if I'm not mistaken) but was too afraid to even try. Great work my friend... You just inspired me to strive for this level of excellence...

Best Regards to All!!!

Jun

Too late I saw steiner's post about the show. Anyway it wouldn't have mattered as I was in the Bureau of Internal Revenue the whole afternoon. Finally someone local is doing a feature on scale modeling eh? What is the world coming to? I used to be ashamed to say that I build scale models as a hobby.

On a lighter note, the place (ABS-CBN) was filled with people from different walks of life. When we entered the lobby of Studio 6, the receptionist there did not look like a receptionist - she looked more like a ramp model! Then while we were being herded to the actual studio, we bumped into a group of excursionistas (I think they came from one of the lunch-time programs). They looked like a bunch of teachers. Then in one of the dressing rooms (I think that was Dressing room 5), I saw some models preparing for something (tall, pretty ones). When we were finally brought to the studio, I heard that Gretchen Fullido was on and reporting. So I asked the PA where the feed was coming from. She said that was a live feed from somewhere in the building. I wanted to bolt the interview and go look for her... (she's hot!!!) Anyway, I tried but it seems that Lady Luck did not want me to meet her today... maybe next time... :headsetsmiley:

Jun

Too late I saw steiner's post about the show. Anyway it wouldn't have mattered as I was in the Bureau of Internal Revenue the whole afternoon. Finally someone local is doing a feature on scale modeling eh? What is the world coming to? I used to be ashamed to say that I build scale models as a hobby.
On a lighter note, the place (ABS-CBN) was filled with people from different walks of life. When we entered the lobby of Studio 6, the receptionist there did not look like a receptionist - she looked more like a ramp model! Then while we were being herded to the actual studio, we bumped into a group of excursionistas (I think they came from one of the lunch-time programs). They looked like a bunch of teachers. Then in one of the dressing rooms (I think that was Dressing room 5), I saw some models preparing for something (tall, pretty ones). When we were finally brought to the studio, I heard that Gretchen Fullido was on and reporting. So I asked the PA where the feed was coming from. She said that was a live feed from somewhere in the building. I wanted to bolt the interview and go look for her... (she's hot!!!) Anyway, I tried but it seems that Lady Luck did not want me to meet her today... maybe next time... :headsetsmiley:

Jun

Those are the kinds of models I'd rather have, the 'ramp' ones. A bit more expensive though. At least we know what walks of life we're interested in. Gretchen Fullido is indeed way hot, and her puppies aren't so bad either.

How true...

The upkeep is quite staggering... I noticed that the more "developed" the 1:1 model is, the more expensive it is to maintain... Then when you try to display your model, people can't help but want to touch the model and try it out to see if it works with them too...

As far as I am concerned, I go by the rule, "Ang kay Pedro ay kay Pedro... Ang kay Juan ay kay Pedro pa rin... pag pumayag si Maria... :thumbsupsmiley: "

Jun

Those are the kinds of models I'd rather have, the 'ramp' ones. A bit more expensive though. At least we know what walks of life we're interested in. Gretchen Fullido is indeed way hot, and her puppies aren't so bad either.
How true...

The upkeep is quite staggering... I noticed that the more "developed" the 1:1 model is, the more expensive it is to maintain... Then when you try to display your model, people can't help but want to touch the model and try it out to see if it works with them too...

As far as I am concerned, I go by the rule, "Ang kay Pedro ay kay Pedro... Ang kay Juan ay kay Pedro pa rin... pag pumayag si Maria... :thumbsupsmiley: "

Jun

I also want to touch the models I see, some look like they just beg to be touched but unfortunately are guarded by the owners.

hi folks! something i built during th week. first try with bikes. this kit already lost a part but fortunately it wont be visible when the seat is in place. this will be a gift for someone hehehe. i hope it geta done soon. tips and comments are highly appreciated

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/reyanipan/my%20honda/honda008small.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/reyanipan/my%20honda/honda017small.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/reyanipan/my%20honda/honda010small.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/reyanipan/my%20honda/honda023small.jpg

Edited by bugoy2004