Who Is Into Scale Modelling?

coolestboy

Yeah! And I hope he's not an MTC member or he'd surely bring in a few as he knows there are two sure-ball customers already, even if it's very expensive!

Hard to imagine Winston being an MTC member :D But then again, you never know..... could be hanging around the PSP thread.... :D

On my bench right now:

1/72 Academy A-10 being built as a European based Warthog with lizard scheme camo

1/72 Griffon being built out of the box as a Canadian helicopter

1/48 Tamiya F-16 being built as a Belgian 2003 Tiger Meet jet

1/35 DML M4A3E8 being built as a USMC Korean War tank

1/35 Tamiya M48A3 stripped of paint and being scratchbuilt and repainted as a Bosnian tank.

What's on your benches now?

On my bench right now:

1/72 Academy A-10 being built as a European based Warthog with lizard scheme camo

1/35 Tamiya M48A3 stripped of paint and being scratchbuilt and repainted as a Bosnian tank.

Space Cruiser Yamato perspective verison (front end 1/350 scale, rear 1/500 scale - supposed to be displayed with the front facing the audience). Don't ask how long it's been there - I've lost track. Hope to finish it soon.

I just bought my two model biplanes (academy brand 1:72 scale) and started working on it. Used to do it in high school but stopped.

Now that I am getting back to this hobby, I am calling all modellers to contribute their tips, Advice and know how on this wonderful hobby.

(1) Tips where to buy models (aircrafts, tanks, ships, cars, etc)

(2) Tips on assembling

(3) Tips on painting

etc.

Hope to hear from you guys!

Where = Lil's sa Quad Carpark or MegaMall

JMG Harrison Plaza (sister branch is at Makati Cinema Square)

STC or Specialized Toy Center, maraming branch such as Virramall, Binondo area, Alabang, SM Northmall

Assembly = Any particular field?

Painting = Naku, ang daming advancement sa painting. I used to use only Tamiya and Pactra Enamels. Now I prefer using Acrylics by Tamiya, Valejo, Gunze, Warbird Series by Poly; lacquers by Gunze, Alclad; Enamels by Tamiya, Revell, Humbrol, Testor's; Spray paints by Tamiya, Gunze, etc. Best advise: get an airbrush if you can.

On my bench right now:

I'm currently working (on and off due to work skeds) on a 1/48 B-29 superfortress. My intention is to build a replica of one of the Silverplate versions, either the Enola Gay or the Great Artiste. I have completely rescribed the airframe but as of now, am still undecided if I will do the rivets(a lot of work!). The landing flaps have already been cut out for detailing.... still a long way to go. The inspiration comes from having seen the real B-29 (Enola Gay) at the Udvar-Hazy Museum in Washington.

Space Cruiser Yamato perspective verison (front end 1/350 scale, rear 1/500 scale - supposed to be displayed with the front facing the audience). Don't ask how long it's been there - I've lost track. Hope to finish it soon.

Really? Different scales for the front and back? I'd love to see that, hope you can post some pix. Does anyone know where I can get the Hasegawa egg planes?

I'm currently working (on and off due to work skeds) on a 1/48 B-29 superfortress. My intention is to build a replica of one of the Silverplate versions, either the Enola Gay or the Great Artiste. I have completely rescribed the airframe but as of now, am still undecided if I will do the rivets(a lot of work!). The landing flaps have already been cut out for detailing.... still a long way to go. The inspiration comes from having seen the real B-29 (Enola Gay) at the Udvar-Hazy Museum in Washington.

My hat's off to you sir, I am absolutely petrified by Bare Metal Finishes. If only Alclad II was available here I would try it on a smaller jet, like a Mig-15 in 1/72. I assume this is the Monogram 1/48th kit? That is a F**KING huge model. At least the 1/48 Trumpeter Condor is not bare metal and has engraved panel lines! I'd really like to do the Trump Condor but where the hell will I put it?

My hat's off to you sir, I am absolutely petrified by Bare Metal Finishes. If only Alclad II was available here I would try it on a smaller jet, like a Mig-15 in 1/72. I assume this is the Monogram 1/48th kit? That is a F**KING huge model. At least the 1/48 Trumpeter Condor is not bare metal and has engraved panel lines! I'd really like to do the Trump Condor but where the hell will I put it?

Hi Doc!

Alclad II is available at Nathalie's store at Harrison Plaza. I just bought the chrome and polished aluminum bottles. I think she still has stocks. The price is a bit stiff (390pesos) for a 30 ml bottle. And yes, the B-29 is the Monogram 1/48.

Sometime last year, I experimented with applying ordinary aluminum foil (using the Microscale foil adhesive). My first time to do it, but I stripped off the foil because of some dirt(or brush bristles) that somehow always gets trapped underneath. If I could solve this problem, the end result seems impressive for such a huge kit.

Ahhh OK master but where are YOUR pix?

Shy ako and beside wala medalang camera somethings wrong with the power supply ng cam ko eh. Nevertheless, if you notice the pic where we are combing chewbaka's hair you can see a fat jedi thats me. Hope to meet you soon............

Hi Doc!

Alclad II is available at Nathalie's store at Harrison Plaza. I just bought the chrome and polished aluminum bottles. I think she still has stocks. The price is a bit stiff (390pesos) for a 30 ml bottle. And yes, the B-29 is the Monogram 1/48.

Sometime last year, I experimented with applying ordinary aluminum foil (using the Microscale foil adhesive). My first time to do it, but I stripped off the foil because of some dirt(or brush bristles) that somehow always gets trapped underneath. If I could solve this problem, the end result seems impressive for such a huge kit.

Hey Bocks! Thanks for the tip about Nathalie. She seems to have better stuff than Roel. I think for chrome you have to use an acrylic black base. Anyway, its just that the surface has to be really perfect for the BMF and with the surface area of the B-29 man that is scary!

I was thinking of using aluminum foil too, using thinned contact cement to lay it in panel by panel. The foil in the supermarket seems to be too thick so I was thinking of using the foil that comes with chewing gum or even chocnut. I kinda like the chocnut idea except I'd get really fat! Have you tried damping out the static electricity on the plastic? It seems that when you wipe it, it builds up some static electricity and this attracts dust and other things. I read somewhere you have to apply a damper after you wipe it to take off the charge. I think I read this in Steve Bamford's site aircraftresourcecenter.com. Anyway, good luck and take some pix!

Edited by Dr_PepPeR
Shy ako and beside wala medalang camera somethings wrong with the power supply ng cam ko eh. Nevertheless, if you notice the pic where we are combing chewbaka's hair you can see a fat jedi thats me. Hope to meet you soon............

Shy ka jan Master! :D Yeah same here Master, hope to run into you soon.....

Hey Bocks! Thanks for the tip about Nathalie. She seems to have better stuff than Roel. I think for chrome you have to use an acrylic black base. Anyway, its just that the surface has to be really perfect for the BMF and with the surface area of the B-29 man that is scary!

I was thinking of using aluminum foil too, using thinned contact cement to lay it in panel by panel. The foil in the supermarket seems to be too thick so I was thinking of using the foil that comes with chewing gum or even chocnut. I kinda like the chocnut idea except I'd get really fat! Have you tried damping out the static electricity on the plastic? It seems that when you wipe it, it builds up some static electricity and this attracts dust and other things. I read somewhere you have to apply a damper after you wipe it to take off the charge. I think I read this in Steve Bamford's site aircraftresourcecenter.com. Anyway, good luck and take some pix!

Thanks Doc. I will keep in mind the point about static electricity; maybe wipe the surface with one of those special cloths I see in the supermarkets. The local foils appear to be a bit thick and i've heard some japanese brands are thinnner than the reynold's stuff we have at local supermarkets. So I still have to explore that.

I will check out that article on the "damper". I think I missed that out in my research.

Thanks Doc. I will keep in mind the point about static electricity; maybe wipe the surface with one of those special cloths I see in the supermarkets. The local foils appear to be a bit thick and i've heard some japanese brands are thinnner than the reynold's stuff we have at local supermarkets. So I still have to explore that.

I will check out that article on the "damper". I think I missed that out in my research.

Yes, I think you have that right. The damper is a piece of treated cloth that you wipe on the plastic to neutralize the positive (or negative?) charge that rubbing gives to the plastic. I'll try to look for that too and pass it to you when I find it. Cheers!

Gud evening guys.........

Moanin' Master!