6th MTC Fantasy NBA

hoopburners

Wala bang blockbuster trade tulad nito? Finally, I got what I have been waiting for,- a trade involving Murphy!

The Indiana Pacers traded Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson to the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday for forwards Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy as part of an eight-player deal designed to shake up two struggling teams.

The Pacers also sent guard Sarunas Jasikevicius and forward Josh Powell to the Warriors, who gave up forward Ike Diogu and guard Keith McLeod.

Fantasy Fallout: Harrington, Murphy Swap

By Matt Buser

January 17, 2007

It took less than a month for Pacers coach Rick Carlisle to decide that a small lineup, with Al Harrington starting at center, was not going to work out as hoped. Fast forward six weeks, and now the Pacers have apparently decided that Al Harrington as a Pacer, period, was not going to work out. The Pacers and Warriors agreed on an eight-player trade on Wednesday, with Harrington, Stephen Jackson, Sarunas Jasikevicius, and Josh Powell headed to Golden State in exchange for Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Ike Diogu, and Keith McLeod. Let's take a look at how this major trade affects fantasy values for both teams.

The Pacers should resort back to the small lineup, with Murphy playing the role that Harrington was supposed to. While Harrington is a more refined offensive player, Murphy is much more effective rebounder – over the course of their careers, Harrington has averaged 6.9 boards per 35 minutes while Murphy has averaged 10.2. Jeff Foster has been, as expected, a force on the boards since rejoining the starting lineup (9.8 per game in 25 starts), but he poses as little of an offensive threat as anyone in the league (5.1 points per game in 25 starts). Murphy has the ability to score inside and on the perimeter, rebounds at a similar rate, and should give Carlisle exactly what he's looking for – expect Murphy to once again become a nightly double-double threat with the Pacers.

Dunleavy gets to leave the team that made him a No.3 overall pick, where expectations of production to match that draft position still hang over his head. His numbers have never been terrible, but have never been great, either, and his fantasy value shouldn't change all that much in Indiana – Dunleavy is simply a consistently average player. He is likely to form a platoon with Danny Granger at small forward, and both players' production should hold fairly steady. Marquis Daniels is suddenly an intriguing player, as he makes the most sense to replace Jackson as the team's starting shooting guard. He's been a disappointment this season, but is a perpetual fantasy sleeper, with career per-35 minute averages of 13.4 points, 4.7 boards, 3.4 rebounds, and 1.7 steals. He has been used sparingly to this part of the season, averaging just over 15 minutes per game, but this is an opportunity for a much more prominent role. If he fails to capitalize, Dunleavy and Granger could both be looking at starting assignments. Diogu and McLeod's fantasy value don't figure to change much with the trade, as they will have the same roles with their new team that they did with their former.

The new-look Warriors lineup will be interesting to see in action, as they've replaced some square pegs with players whose styles are a much better fit. Obviously, Baron Davis will remain at point guard, and Andris Biedrins isn't going to get bumped by Harrington or Jackson. While Harrington is a lock, likely at power forward, the roles of Jackson, Matt Barnes, and Monta Ellis are a bit cloudier. Warriors coach Don Nelson has said earlier in the season that he likes Ellis as a reserve, so Jackson could replace Ellis at shooting guard, with Barnes remaining in the lineup as the team's small forward.

Harrington will be the second scoring option in Golden State as he was in Indiana, but will see a few more shots per night just due to the change in systems – while the nature of his production will remain unchanged, overall this trade should help Harrington's fantasy value a bit. As with Harrington, Jackson's role won't fluctuate much with the new digs, but his offensive numbers could improve with the freedom that Nelson's system allows. Ellis will revert to his splits as a reserve, so plan accordingly. Barnes, who has emerged as a Nelson favorite, doesn't figure to leave the starting lineup, but will lose a few looks per night to his new teammates – while his offensive production may slip, his overall line is where his true value lies, anyway. Jasikevicius is a good fit with the Warriors, but he's behind enough players in the rotation that he won't play enough to really make an impact on a nightly basis. Powell will remain an end-of-the-rotation player in Golden State, as well.

Guys, I just can't help it!

I know its a long season and we are just entering the mid-summer special.

But, for now, I BELIEVE that Kobe Bryant is the "clear-cut" MVP of the league with Gilbert Arenas a strong second and Dirk 3rd (Tmac 4th without Yao)

With Odom and Brown out of the line-up, the Lakers boast a 26-13 record, beating the Spurs a while ago in their homecourt.

Mind you, people said before that Kobe doesn't make his teammates better because he dominates and takes over the game a little too much!

But this year, it is a different story; a different Kobe. The LEADER in Kobe Bryant has arrived. By taking LESS he gained MORE (excuse the cliche') thus making his young teammates BETTER than ever.

Who would have thought that Kobe can lead this NOBODIES (without Odom, Brown and Mihm) to a GREAT Record in the STRONG WESTERN CONFERENCE? No one, and I will bet a barrel of BEER on that. If you will put the LAKERS in the EAST they are, again a clear cut, first seed in the WEAK EAST.

My premise of Kobe over Arenas is very simple. With the Lakers (given that Kobe has nobodies, post Odom injury), faces the tough SPURS, MAVS, SUNS, UTAH, ROCKETS all year long and a solid other teams in WOLVES, NUGGETS, and yes WARRIORS with old time SOLIDS, KINGS, CLIPPERS and SONICS, while in the patheic EAST you got, PISTONS, CAVS, BULLS, MAGIC and underachievers in the ATLANTIC DIVISION.

All I am saying is that, Kobe has a tougher LEAGUE in the WEST compared to ARENAS in the EAST. Yeah ARENAS is lighting it up, while KOBE is SHARING the WEALTH. Putting up MVP numbers with a least supporting cast and making them BETTER than ARENAS who has, JAMISON and BUTLER; NOWITZKI who has, J.Ho, Terry, and Stackhouse.

Gwaps, GOG, hoop, bubs, and my fellow GMs whatdayyathink?

^ o, bat di mo sinama pacers jan? heheh :D

undoubtly, kobe is playing differently this year. i've watched one game of the lakers (konti lang nba games dito sa macau eh), and i've noticed kobe isn't taking too many shots and hogging the ball too often as the previous year/s. he's been a team player as his ast production i believe went up and really finds open teammates. he's playing as a true leader for a depleted (could i say that?) team yet still having one the the better records on the strong western conference.

'nuff about that, for me, it's still nash as the premier candidate this early for the MVP plump. no offense bro pbp, but kobe is a close 2nd or 3rd in my book. nash still awe everyone with his superb play and on-court brilliance leading the suns. though i know nash can't carry the lakers if he's on the team instead of kobe, to win the MVP you've got to beat the things nash has been doing. kobe is on his way for that.. if averaging more than 30+ ppg last season with an incredible 81 on one game and leading the same lakers team on the playoffs wasn't enough to beat the man, then what else could he do? i'm not sure either.

just my take bro pbp... :)

PBP,

This is what I posted last 13 January 2007.

Reflections/Questions on the season thus far:

1. AK-47- Whatever happened to the AK-47 of old?

2. Mike James- What has a huge contract done to you?

3. Jameer Nelson- Werent you supposed to make a big splash this year?

4. Carlos Boozer - Imagine if Lebron had you by his side. Cavs as the East Champ?

5. Dikembe - Blast from the past; a monster of the glass of late; now sits at no. 2 all-time in blocks (move over kareem). But now the finger wag gets you a technical.

6. Jason Kidd- Ageing like fine wine.

7. Brad Miller- No longer a top-tier fantasy center.

8. Camby- A monster... if and when he plays.

9. Nash- A pg in the running for a third straight MVP. Who would have thunk it?

10. Kobe- If I were to vote though right at this moment, Kobe gets the MVP (and Phil gets coach of the year). No Odom for the past weeks (and no Brown and Mihm) and still among the best records in the NBA? Are you kidding me, with that cast?!!

11. D.Wade- I agree with Rick Kamla. Destined to be better than Lebron and Melo.

for me... nash is still the frontrunner to get the mvp plum... he might be boring at times... but he's effective and makes his teammates look good...

but he has a phenomenal supporting cast - and a system tailor made for him... put him in, say, fratello's team, and his effectivity would be very much questioned...

kobe... well, has lifted his team - with a lesser supporting cast... nuff said...

^ ops.. tama na yang MVP debate.. hehe dun kayo sa nba thread... hahah...

steve nash can make my team really look good.. on the fantasy level though.. heheh :cool:

oh, definetely... see your team... hehehe...

...same case as with the other GM's... say, if a guy like jason kidd or chris paul ran with the current phx system and squad, i think they'd be MVP's like nashty, too... and as i've said, try putting nash in a deliberate hal-court system like mcmillan's or fratello's and there'd probabaly be a big difference in the output or something...

...but put kobe in, say, new orleans or toronto, and he'd still lift them up with his style of play, his leadership and his over-all talent...

...let it be known that i am NOT a kobe mark, at least before... am too much of a j-kidd fan... but the black mamba definetely commands respect...

hehe! oo nga, dun kayo sa nba thread.. hehehe!!! peace paps!

kobe is playing the leader everyone is expected of him... too early too tell but we may never know what will happen in the end.

he just have to continue this very good attitude.. or else... we never know..

^ o, bat di mo sinama pacers jan? heheh :D

undoubtly, kobe is playing differently this year. i've watched one game of the lakers (konti lang nba games dito sa macau eh), and i've noticed kobe isn't taking too many shots and hogging the ball too often as the previous year/s. he's been a team player as his ast production i believe went up and really finds open teammates. he's playing as a true leader for a depleted (could i say that?) team yet still having one the the better records on the strong western conference.

'nuff about that, for me, it's still nash as the premier candidate this early for the MVP plump. no offense bro pbp, but kobe is a close 2nd or 3rd in my book. nash still awe everyone with his superb play and on-court brilliance leading the suns. though i know nash can't carry the lakers if he's on the team instead of kobe, to win the MVP you've got to beat the things nash has been doing. kobe is on his way for that.. if averaging more than 30+ ppg last season with an incredible 81 on one game and leading the same lakers team on the playoffs wasn't enough to beat the man, then what else could he do? i'm not sure either.

just my take bro pbp... :)

Bro hoop, no problem bro.

All points are well taken. :)

My only take on stevie boy is that, he has Marion, Stoudamire, Barbosa and Diaw.

As brother gwaps and commish said, Kobe has nothing but still leading his team to a great record in the West.

Nobody expect, even I, honestly that they will be playing this good, post Odom injury.

While we already expect the Suns to win it all in the West even in the NBA.

Para di O.T. mukhang di ata maganda ang pag-drop mo kay Cat ah! :(

Dapat pala si Grant Hill na lang o kaya si Sean May.

Mali na namang desisyon. Sobra kasi akong impatient eh!

Waaahhhh!

At least I'm leading! :)

isn't it steve nash is playing with injury? with a bad lower back or something?

and told everyone he'll play lesser minutes during the offseason. suns even signed errr i forgot who to backup him but until now he's not playing and stevie is playing a lot more minutes?

plus steve nash is not getting any younger..

ahhh.. tama na yan! heheh.. basta i hope both of them play well and fill on the sheets.. they're both my number picks on the fantasy leagues i'm in.. hahah :boo:

let's see wait till the season reaches playoffs.. who knows... :cool:

I'd say, the Kobe argument is valid. As long as he keeps his squad in the thick of the hunt, he's got himself a strong case for MVP honors.

Still, if Nash leads the Suns to another 60-win season, voters just might find it hard to look the other way. It's always tough to argue against the numbers especially big-ass figures like that.

It tends to make us forget what kind of team each dude's got around him (Nash's co-all stars versus Kobe's role-playing cats).

Hmm, but still, at some level, I'm not even comfy with this notion.

I mean, if a guy on a lean squad deserves to win more than a guy on a loaded one, then just give the GM his due since he was the one who built that team in the first place.

Right?

Just so we don't go OT: I'm looking hard and fast for a trade...I'd be willing to give up ANYONE on my squad for the right price/combo/deal...

I'd say, the Kobe argument is valid. As long as he keeps his squad in the thick of the hunt, he's got himself a strong case for MVP honors.

Still, if Nash leads the Suns to another 60-win season, voters just might find it hard to look the other way. It's always tough to argue against the numbers especially big-ass figures like that.

It tends to make us forget what kind of team each dude's got around him (Nash's co-all stars versus Kobe's role-playing cats).

I mean, if a guy on a lean squad deserves to win more than a guy on a loaded one, then just give the GM his due since he was the one who built that team in the first place.

Right?

Just so we don't go OT: I'm looking hard and fast for a trade...I'd be willing to give up ANYONE on my squad for the right price/combo/deal...

well... couldn't have said it any better... the GM's has gotta have as much credit as the top cat...

...anyways... man, as i look into your roster, i can't help but drool...

why not stick with the crew? i mean, your standing doesn't really demand a major blow-up of your team or something... the NOK boys really pulled you down (peja / west), but you got a major 2nd half sleeper in randy foye, the CHI boys, 'sheed, AI, jermaine, kobe-stopper...

IMO, what you need to do is just to be on a look-out for spot fillers (ala gerald green / jannero pargo / matt barnes) who emerges due to injuries / suspensions... honestly, you did a good one on the devin harris / matt carroll / ruben patterson pick-ups...

play the add-drop kungfu - you have a tight, healthy core of players - no need to blow them up...

...ayt???

well... couldn't have said it any better... the GM's has gotta have as much credit as the top cat...

...anyways... man, as i look into your roster, i can't help but drool...

why not stick with the crew? i mean, your standing doesn't really demand a major blow-up of your team or something... the NOK boys really pulled you down (peja / west), but you got a major 2nd half sleeper in randy foye, the CHI boys, 'sheed, AI, jermaine, kobe-stopper...

IMO, what you need to do is just to be on a look-out for spot fillers (ala gerald green / jannero pargo / matt barnes) who emerges due to injuries / suspensions... honestly, you did a good one on the devin harris / matt carroll / ruben patterson pick-ups...

play the add-drop kungfu - you have a tight, healthy core of players - no need to blow them up...

...ayt???

Points well taken bro...I was just trying to bait some trades if anyone's interested...

I mean, if I could somehow fetch a juicy deal for AI (like 2 really good 2nd-tier guys/cats on the fringe of all-stardom), well...who knows...

But standing pat, like you said---and I've thought this through myself as well---seems like the best option.

If all goes as planned and DWest returns (supposedly next week) as the semi-beast he was last year (much tougher to do without CP3 of course), I'd expect some smoother sailing.

I'm also hoping that J-O's gonna get a little more consistency with the Harrington/Jackson trade (dude has now got the low-post all to himself) and Sheed's gonna have to do a little less down low with the Pistons' new-found frontcourt depth.

But of course, if AI could co-exist with Melo and they both get and make enough shots to stay away from each others' necks, that'd be really something big...

Right?

Erratum...

Actually, what I really wanted to say was, "Why not give the GM the MVP award instead?" since he put his star player at a better position to win the award by refusing to surround him with more capable help anyway.