6th MTC Fantasy NBA

hoopburners

Scouting the Main League Part 1 of 2

Note:

I apologize if some stuff sounds brutal. Skipped my pills today.

Just find comfort in the fact that more than anything, we're keeping it real.

Or at least vaguely imaginary.

No need to defend why certain picks were made or haul me in court if your team somehow makes it big despite my pre-season bitch-slapping.

Good management always finds ways to win even when good players don't.

Reasonable Doubt: guys or situations I'm not too high on

Moneyball: undervalued contributors

Switcheroo: tweaks I'd make if I ran the club

Y! - bubuy - bubuy

1. (1) LeBron James

2. (28) Andre Iguodala

3. (29) Gerald Wallace

4. (56) Nene Hilario

5. (57) Russell Westbrook

6. (84) Spencer Hawes

7. (85) Mario Chalmers

8. (112) Corey Maggette

9. (113) Tyreke Evans

10. (140) Kendrick Perkins

11. (141) Ronny Turiaf

12. (168) Steve Blake

Reasonable Doubt: It's too early to talk regression but Nene's Awakening came all so sudden and out of nowhere that he'll be hard-pressed to roll out a

possible encore...As good as Russ Westbrook and the team around him already is, his best days may be ahead of him, far ahead. Tread with caution.

Moneyball: Perkins is the blue collar big every contender should have. I wouldn't be too worried about Sheed stealing too many minutes, if anything Sheed was brought in to spell KG for whole stretches, not Perk. Miami doesn't have much but Heat insiders claim that Chalmers went rabid the same day that Carlos

Arroyo showed up in camp. You just gotta love what a little comp can do for a guy.

Switcheroo: The team's as good as it gets but if someone ever offered a PG or Buck williams-type big man for either Crash Wallace or Iggy, I just might pull

the trigger.

Joshiasi - Joshiasi

1. (2) Chris Paul

2. (27) Devin Harris

3. (30) Paul Pierce

4. (55) Stephen Jackson

5. (58) Al Horford

6. (83) Jeff Green

7. (86) Rasheed Wallace

8. (111) Ramon Sessions

9. (114) Allen Iverson

10. (139) Jermaine O'Neal

11. (142) Chris Andersen

12. (167) Derek Fisher

Reasonable Doubt: Devin Harris sat out a bunch of pre-season games with a host of injuries. This is never a good sign for a tough-minded guard who makes his living by driving to the hoop and getting the other team in foul trouble. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak (if not already broken).

This sticky Steph Jackson situation better sort itself out soon.

Sessions is not a bad player but not a particularly good one either. I'd say about the same for Jermaine O'Neal but I'd be accused of going soft. (Got that?

JO and soft? HEHEHE)

Moneyball: If Iverson delivers on his promise, this could be that year when a top30 guy fell that far from grace only to reclaim his lofty status a year

later. Otherwise, it's just cheap talk. Dysfunctional franchise meet thy dysfunctional superstar...

Jeff Green, oh we love him. If only he looked a bit less sedated we'd be a bit more excited.

Switcheroo: The mix is intriguing. There's a lot of boom/bust potential all over the place, it's like messy college post-party. But if someone ever offered me a package for Chris Paul that would be tough to say no to, there you go...

Roughnecks Classic - cheeselogger

1. (3) Kobe Bryant

2. (26) Antawn Jamison

3. (31) Vince Carter

4. (54) Marcus Camby

5. (59) Michael Redd

6. (82) Lamar Odom

7. (87) Zach Randolph

8. (110) Jamal Crawford

9. (115) Shane Battier

10. (138) Randy Foye

11. (143) Mike Dunleavy

12. (166) Jamario Moon

Reasonable Doubt: We all know what Kim Dash did for Reggie right? Kinda makes you wonder how Khloe fits in Lamar's sweet world. Hey I know it's LA and that's just how they roll but anytime an already enigmatic forward gets hitched to the evil elder sister, hmm...

Off the top of my head, I never really liked the VC trade. For one thing, it gives another excuse for 100-million dollar man Shard Lewis to coast. For another, it gives Carter himself another excuse to coast. They should just rename the team: the Orlando Coasters. Maybe even the Orlando SUPERCoasters...

Moneyball: Camby's old, his knees are at least 40 years older and the Clips still suck but there's a reason he's been around the league for so long despite being grossly overmatched down low: he's pretty good at what he does, blocking shots and getting `bounds...

A 60 percent Michael Redd is still better than 70 percent of the league. Or at least better than the zombie pretending to be Peja Stojakovic.

Switcheroo: The `Necks obviously need a pass-first guard. I'll take what I can for Carter.

The A Team - ayasadai

1. (4) Dwyane Wade

2. (25) Carmelo Anthony

3. (32) Derrick Rose

4. (53) Mo Williams

5. (60) Emeka Okafor

6. (81) Ron Artest

7. (88) Raymond Felton

8. (109) Tyson Chandler

9. (116) Tayshaun Prince

10. (137) Samuel Dalembert

11. (144) Brandon Rush

12. (165) DeMar DeRozan

Reasonable Doubt: In a deeper draft class, there probably would've been little reason to take Okafor as a lottery pick. But here we are, half a decade past

the fact where he dominated the NCAA title game like he was supposed to and well, the Howard-Okafor draft debate looks silly. Stupefying even.

Sammy D's always good for boards, blocks and some classic comedic moments but the Eddie Jordan regime might ease him out in favor of a more

fluid/offensively-oriented big man.

Moneyball: This one's too easy: Ron Artest. The scoring dip is expected but he's going to be better everywhere else---boards, dimes, swipes and superhuman

feats that only the TruWarier could pull off.

Switcheroo: Not really much I'd change up here but if I could snag myself a value big for Ray Felton or Mo Williams, let it rip.

VL SALLE 2009 - chad moneyshot

1. (5) Dirk Nowitzki

2. (24) Kevin Garnett

3. (33) Kevin Martin

4. (52) Manu Ginobili

5. (61) Rudy Gay

6. (80) Hedo Turkoglu

7. (89) Paul Millsap

8. (108) Kevin Love

9. (117) Mike Conley

10. (136) Shaquille O'Neal

11. (145) Courtney Lee

12. (164) Delonte West

Reasonable Doubt: The leash will be short on KG this year since the aging Celtics learned last year what the wizened Spurs have known all along: the

postseason run matters more than any shiny regular-season record...

Former Hilltopper Lee is probably a better real bball player than fantasy player in a Shane Battier/Tay Prince kind of way. That said, the Nets really don't

have much beyond half of Giant Gonzales' long lost twins and Devin Harris so there's still some upside...

Will Hedo be Hedo in Toronto? I can't say for sure but his age isn't going to help him...

Moneyball: It might be wrong to tag a former franchise big man as undervalued but Shaq can definitely still channel the Shaq of old in limited minutes. Don't

sleep on the Big Witness Protection.

Switcheroo: Guardplay could stand modest improvement. I'd wing Millsap for a Mo Williams-type if the offer ever popped up. I might even do a Dirk for Kidd + something swap.

Chicken Nuggets - Cal!

1. (6) Dwight Howard

2. (23) Troy Murphy

3. (34) Rajon Rondo

4. (51) Mehmet Okur

5. (62) Jason Thompson

6. (79) O.J. Mayo

7. (90) J.R. Smith

8. (107) Josh Howard

9. (118) Andrei Kirilenko

10. (135) Peja Stojakovic

11. (146) Larry Hughes

12. (163) Yi Jianlian

Reasonable Doubt: My draft pet peeve of the year: taking a working-man big way too early. I dunno but as long as the Biedrins and Horfords and Thompsons of the world are available a couple of rounds after, taking a Lee and Murph and Giant Gonzales-Lopez in the 2nd or 3rd round just drives me nuts.

What sucks even more is that if these kids flop or worse, get hurt, it's tough to move them knowing they didn't have enough star value to begin with. Melo out 2 months with a hand injury? I'm buying. Lee out 6 weeks with the same? Good luck.

You just gotta wonder how long J.R. Smith can go along with this charade with George Karl.

When we started playing fakeball, AK47 was fantasy gold. In recent years though, he's been a lot like Nocioni down to the horrendous shot selection.

Moneyball: Thompson balled for Rider U, a small school tucked away in a sleepy small town of the vast Jersey swamps. No one really made much of his dominance of inferior competition (20pts/12rebs/3blks) but if there's one guy who doesn't miss on draft day that doesn't work for the Spurs, it's Geoff Petrie.

The Zombie pretending to be Peja Stojakovic will be good for 3s and good percentages. Not bad at all for a 10th rounder.

Switcheroo: Another team that needs to bolster guardplay, will sell Okur or AK47 for the right piece.

Scouting the Main League Part 2 of 2

Team 3D - tripledouble

1. (7) Kevin Durant

2. (22) Jason Kidd

3. (35) Gilbert Arenas

4. (50) Elton Brand

5. (63) Andrea Bargnani

6. (78) Boris Diaw

7. (91) Brad Miller

8. (106) Chris Duhon

9. (119) Chris Kaman

10. (134) Kirk Hinrich

11. (147) Channing Frye

12. (162) Corey Brewer

Reasonable Doubt: Hate to rain on the Italian Stallion's parade but bringing in the Turkish Delight could hurt his value, at least short-term. Hedo might help him turn the tide, shake of the cobwebs and help him become a good pro down the road but right now, we're staying as far away as we can.

Coming out of Zona, I always saw Frye as a Camby-type. On his third team, the Suns are asking him to do just that. The numbers don't see him excelling in that role.

Moneyball: Diaw was a fantasy stud up until the French Fry got soggy. He likely won't be able to replicate his PHX numbers playing a more controlled pace with the Bobcats but Larry Brown will find ways for him to be effective.

Brad Miller's not getting any younger and Chi would be wise to cut down his minutes. Still, 8 boards and 3 dimes from the C2 spot is as good as it gets.

Switcheroo: Could use some help behind Brand who hasn't been the same player two years after he ruptured his Achilles tendon in a weight-training mishap.

Will take what I can for Duhon or Hinrich though Captain Kirk could always see an uptick in value much later since the Bulls have been dying to move him.

Snitch Devil 24 - kb24

1. (8) Danny Granger

2. (21) Caron Butler

3. (36) Baron Davis

4. (49) Monta Ellis

5. (64) Andrew Bynum

6. (77) Mike Bibby

7. (92) Richard Jefferson

8. (105) Marvin Williams

9. (120) Ronnie Brewer

10. (133) Jonny Flynn

11. (148) Udonis Haslem

12. (161) Drew Gooden

Reasonable Doubt: Still dunno how RJ fits with the Spurs. He sure gives them some athleticism but he just isn't quite the same player someone foolishly took out a max deal on. In fact, he might not even be 50% of that player. Pop will find ways to make good use of him but it will probably leave hordes of fantasyfreaks wanting.

The Hawks had high hopes for the multidimesional Marvin Williams but the revolution probably won't happen in the ATL anytime soon.

Moneyball: A healthy Andrew Bynum is a fantasy force to reckon with, easily top 25 value in the 5th round.

Switcheroo: The Snitches are probably one Horford-type big man from booking a playoff spot.

RedeemTeam - agentjackbauer

1. (9) Deron Williams

2. (20) Brook Lopez

3. (37) David Lee

4. (48) Ray Allen

5. (65) Andre Miller

6. (76) Tyrus Thomas

7. (93) T.J. Ford

8. (104) Nate Robinson

9. (121) Michael Beasley

10. (132) Roy Hibbert

11. (149) Hakim Warrick

12. (160) Grant Hill

Reasonable Doubt: Really don't have much to say about Lopez and Lee that I haven't said already...

The Dre Miller situation is getting uglier by the day. It might take some time before they all get on the same page. But hey, if Brandon Marshall and the Broncos were able to patch things up, Miller and Portland have a prayer.

Moneyball: A healthy TJ Ford is always a valuable commodity to have. Here's to hoping he suits up for 72+ games...Roy Hibbert didn't really do much at GTown but if the preseason is any indication, he should be primed for a mini-breakout...

We've been waiting on Tyrus Thomas forever. He probably wouldn't be able to keep his focus the rest of the way but he'll be useful in stretches.

Switcheroo: Jesus Shuttlesworth can't carry the load for the Redeemers. Will look to add either a volume guy who makes 3s in bunches or a versatile swingman who knows how to stuff the box.

jumpman23 - jumpman23

1. (10) Brandon Roy

2. (19) Jose Calderon

3. (38) David West

4. (47) Andris Biedrins

5. (66) Charlie Villanueva

6. (75) Al Harrington

7. (94) Wilson Chandler

8. (103) Greg Oden

9. (122) Brendan Haywood

10. (131) D.J. Augustin

11. (150) Ryan Gomes

12. (159) James Harden

Reasonable Doubt: Ex-TarHeel Haywood was on the cusp of being a top 20 big man up until he got hurt. Now, with a new coach on board and a more structured offense in place, one wonders how he'll fit in especially since both McGee and Blatche have the requisite skill-set to flourish in Flip's schemes.

If Wil chandler's the New Matrix, will his value also take a nosedive once he graduates from D'Antoni ball? It's an intriguing question and the Knicks are reportedly thinking of packaging him in a deal to exorcise themselves of the last few bad contracts from the Isiah Thomas regime.

Moneyball: It's about time the Cats handed the starting PG gig to DJ Augustin. He's already a better player than Ray Felton will ever be.

Switcheroo: Despite some questions, for some odd reason, this team works and the parts actually fit. Of course, I'd sell off Oden as soon as he starts beasting out.

JPT@DML - jongkers

1. (11) Amar'e Stoudemire

2. (18) Chauncey Billups

3. (39) Jason Richardson

4. (46) Josh Smith

5. (67) Leandro Barbosa

6. (74) Blake Griffin

7. (95) Aaron Brooks

8. (102) Joakim Noah

9. (123) Stephen Curry

10. (130) Marc Gasol

11. (151) Antonio McDyess

12. (158) Anthony Parker

Reasonable Doubt: For his sake, I hope Amar'e gained some perspective about how short NBA careers are. There's really no point for him to keep dogging it,

not when he's making close to 20 mil per year.

Moneyball: Joakim Noah still can't shoot to save his life but to his credit, he earns his keep in the hustle cats.

One way or another, Curry will play his way into Don Nelson's rotation. It might take some time though.

Switcheroo: The Jongks drafted well but need to establish a PG2 behind Chauncey Billups. Barbosa and Brooks are essentially the same player: speedy guards who rack up points at a ridiculous rate and not much else.

Perth Wildcats Sucks - ankiseth

1. (14) Chris Bosh

2. (15) Al Jefferson

3. (42) Shawn Marion

4. (43) Jameer Nelson

5. (70) John Salmons

6. (71) Jason Terry

7. (98) Andrew Bogut

8. (99) Luol Deng

9. (126) Francisco Garcia

10. (127) Al Thornton

11. (154) Kenyon Martin

12. (155) Travis Outlaw

Reasonable Doubt: Nelson's about the most likeable teammate there is. During the off-season, he even goes as far as bringing in his teammates to his hometown for a whole week of fun and games. So believe me when I say that I hate ripping the guy to shreds but it needs to be said: his role will get even smaller with VC's addition to Orlando.

If all things only went as planned, Deng should've been an all-star by now. But funny things happen when kids get what they want (i.e. a huge new contract) and by the end of last year, Deng was dogging it so bad he was fighting with the training staff (who insisted that he was healthy enough to play).

Another year, another shot but personally, I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

Moneyball: Jason Terry's best years are well behind him but he's still jetting.

The Matrix hasn't been quite the same since he bolted from Phoenix but he'll have his own mini-revival balling with JKidd in Dallas.

Al Thornton looks pretty sexy right now, especially with Blake Griffin back on the shelf with a knee injury.

Switcheroo: Will sell Marion for an underrated, pass-first pg.

Magaling si CousinBarry! The best fantasy analyst in these boards!

Pareho kami ng analysis sa kulang ng team ko. Now if only I could get my hands on that wingman who can shoot 3s and help me in pts and ftm ... (aha, Vince Carter? Or Durant?)

Of course, iba nga lang ang opinion ko kina David Lee and Brook, he he. :rolleyes:

Edit: If we follow Doc's advice, pwede sana Dre Miller for VC pero mukhang di papayag si Cheese, he he.

Edited by agentjackbauer

I am up to it bro ajb, maybe just a little bit tweaking. you know we still got to balance that out. lemme have a try, Andre Miller + Hakim Warrick for Vince Carter + Mike Dunleavy?

my team here is the suckiest team yahoo ever autodrafted for me. thanks to cousinbarry for the analysis, I actually thought you were being too kind to my coyote-ugly run-to-the-hills-that-bad team I have this year..

Edited by cheeselogger

Im so tempted to pull the trigger but then again I know I'll be looking for that third pg sooner or later.

What to do, what to do, what to do...

hehehe, not much to offer since I just picked up Krstic for Moon. just was thinking maybe you had a more optimistic view about Mike and maybe you still could "gamble" keeping him till he comes back...