San Miguel Beer

Actually madaming skeptic sa championship series between Ginebra and smb, I am a Ginebra fan and i would prefer if Ginebra face red bull sa finals or smb vs. tnt sa finals para walang doubt ang mga fans sa outcome ng game. Now i am just wondering kung bakit walang laro ngayon at wala namang dahilan para mawalan ng game ngayon, baka mawala ang momentum ng Ginebra going into game 5 sa wednesday...

nothing much we can do abt it dude... ako I'm just happy that it's SMB vs BGK...

sana lang gawin nilang exciting yung games... whoever wins the championship is secondary na lang...

SMB fans...dont undermine your team's reputation on winning games and not playing their game

Chot Reyes admitted hes doing a terrible job at coaching

Anymore conspiracy theories?

Blame the refs calls when the lead is 30+?

Pardon me but..sheesh...

Edited by orionpax

Just like Clubber, I hate to butt in this thread since I don't cheer for any PBA team.

1. Referees may, I repeat, may contribute to a loss of a team, but referees aren't the ones who shoot in the basket in order for a team to win by 30+ points. In addition, there are instances where the referees do a bad job against a certain team and yet the team at the short end of the stick still manage to win.

2. If a team loses by 30 points in a game, and more in a second game, its a testament of the character of the players and the coaching staff. But more so on the players because a coach may push and prod, but still it is the players who should deliver on court. And after a 30 point lashing in game 3, they should have been more forceful in order to avenge their embarrassment in game 4 which didn't turn out to be the case.

3. Why would SMC change stripes and hope for a Ginebra win? It has consistently been playing favorites in its entire history after buying Ginebra San Miguel Inc (formerly La Tondena Incorporada) that I seriously doubt they want Ginebra to win over the flagship SMC.

Remember, they may have built up Ginebra courtesy of Hatfield, Mamaril and Reavis, but they also did the same with SMC courtesy of Adducul, Espinas, Tenorio and Tugade. And they took the best coach in the league (Reyes) and put him in SMC, not in Ginebra.

Just like Clubber, I hate to butt in this thread since I don't cheer for any PBA team.

1. Referees may, I repeat, may contribute to a loss of a team, but referees aren't the ones who shoot in the basket in order for a team to win by 30+ points. In addition, there are instances where the referees do a bad job against a certain team and yet the team at the short end of the stick still manage to win.

2. If a team loses by 30 points in a game, and more in a second game, its a testament of the character of the players and the coaching staff. But more so on the players because a coach may push and prod, but still it is the players who should deliver on court. And after a 30 point lashing in game 3, they should have been more forceful in order to avenge their embarrassment in game 4 which didn't turn out to be the case.

3. Why would SMC change stripes and hope for a Ginebra win? It has consistently been playing favorites in its entire history after buying Ginebra San Miguel Inc (formerly La Tondena Incorporada) that I seriously doubt they want Ginebra to win over the flagship SMC.

Remember, they may have built up Ginebra courtesy of Hatfield, Mamaril and Reavis, but they also did the same with SMC courtesy of Adducul, Espinas, Tenorio and Tugade. And they took the best coach in the league (Reyes) and put him in SMC, not in Ginebra.

1. Referees aren't the one shooting the ball but they have the power to give the ball to a certain team, I'm pretty sure that you know that whoever has the ball has the chance to score. The more chance you get to shoot the ball the more chance you get to score and that also means less chance for the opposing team which in my opinion is a big factor in winning by 30+ points.

2. You have a point there.

3. We'll SMC may not know anything about it, this teams do get their share if they prolong the series but let us think who is the main beneficiary of the extra income and letting Ginebra, the known do or die team of the PBA have their glory days back? They saw how SMB can play on even terms so they MIGHT have thought of a plan to give Ginebra not the win but that added leverage so they can bounce back (very) strong and again give back that Do or Die image back to Ginebra and walla they have instant box office star again. I'm not saying this is whats happening, it is only a possible explanation to what is happening.

For your opinion about Chot being the best coach hmmmmm thats a bit debatable. Again SMC may not be the one behind something.

Also if you investigate, Game 7 date (if ever) will be the People Power anniversary.. more people mo' money

About the Tenorio - Tubid foul... the sportscaster said " Tenorio stopped to initiate a foul.. ang question dyan baket huminto si Tenorio na alam nya tumatakbo si Tubid sa likod?

it breaks my heart seeing 2 SMC teams fight.. enjoy na lang naten ang series. PEACE

Edited by [TWO]RERO
1. Referees aren't the one shooting the ball but they have the power to give the ball to a certain team, I'm pretty sure that you know that whoever has the ball has the chance to score. The more chance you get to shoot the ball the more chance you get to score and that also means less chance for the opposing team which in my opinion is a big factor in winning by 30+ points.

Basketball has never been played winners outs. So even if Ginebra gets the ball, SMC gets it back in the next play.

In addition, a close game may be duly influenced by referees, but a blowout where there are excellent field goal percentages by one team as well as lots of steals aren't under the influence of the referees. It's not the referees who are shooting well into the basket, its the other team. And its not the referees stealing the ball from one team and giving it to another.

3. We'll SMC may not know anything about it, this teams do get their share if they prolong the series but let us think who is the main beneficiary of the extra income and letting Ginebra, the known do or die team of the PBA have their glory days back? They saw how SMB can play on even terms so they MIGHT have thought of a plan to give Ginebra not the win but that added leverage so they can bounce back (very) strong and again give back that Do or Die image back to Ginebra and walla they have instant box office star again. I'm not saying this is whats happening, it is only a possible explanation to what is happening.

For your opinion about Chot being the best coach hmmmmm thats a bit debatable. Again SMC may not be the one behind something.

First San Miguel wasn't playing on even terms with Ginebra in the first two games as Eric Menk didn't play in game one and was not effective in game two. On the other hand, games three and four feature a healthier Menk and a still injured Ildefonso for the Beermen.

Second, there's barely enough income for PBA teams when they play extra games. Why? Nearly half the gate receipts go to Araneta Coliseum. And the remaining half is divided between the PBA, the winning team and the losing team (with the winning team getting a slightly higher amount). So whatever amount a team receives is just chump change if you compare it with the salaries they pay to the players, coaches, and support staff, as well as the various logistics of the team for practice and game days.

SMB fans...dont undermine your team's reputation on winning games and not playing their game

Chot Reyes admitted hes doing a terrible job at coaching

Anymore conspiracy theories?

Blame the refs calls when the lead is 30+?

Pardon me but..sheesh...

well... the PBA is still a business entity...

trust me when I say that there are many indirect stakeholders involved...

of course he'd say such a thing... it's called damage control...

This what im emphasizing, for those who believe that SMC wants to extend the series because of gate receipts and TV revenues is DEAD Wrong....The overhead expenses per game (salaries of the team, etc) outweigh the supposed revenue

Why? the supposed income will be just a drop in the bucket for them...do you think the PBA per se is influencing SMC management to extend the series? Well think again....Will a reputable conglomerate like SMC do that and give in to the PBAs?prodding?

Second, there's barely enough income for PBA teams when they play extra games. Why? Nearly half the gate receipts go to Araneta Coliseum. And the remaining half is divided between the PBA, the winning team and the losing team (with the winning team getting a slightly higher amount). So whatever amount a team receives is just chump change if you compare it with the salaries they pay to the players, coaches, and support staff, as well as the various logistics of the team for practice and game days.
This what im emphasizing, for those who believe that SMC wants to extend the series because of gate receipts and TV revenues is DEAD Wrong....The overhead expenses per game (salaries of the team, etc) outweigh the supposed revenue

Thanks for talking about TV Revenues.

@Everyone

ABC-5 has a contract with the PBA. The TV Coverage contract by ABC 5 isn't on a per game basis. Its a two season contract. So whether the PBA plays more games or the PBA plays less games is immaterial because the PBA will get the same amount from the TV Coverage.

Basketball has never been played winners outs. So even if Ginebra gets the ball, SMC gets it back in the next play.

In addition, a close game may be duly influenced by referees, but a blowout where there are excellent field goal percentages by one team as well as lots of steals aren't under the influence of the referees. It's not the referees who are shooting well into the basket, its the other team. And its not the referees stealing the ball from one team and giving it to another.

First San Miguel wasn't playing on even terms with Ginebra in the first two games as Eric Menk didn't play in game one and was not effective in game two. On the other hand, games three and four feature a healthier Menk and a still injured Ildefonso for the Beermen.

Again I have mentioned that Ginebra played a great game, I gave them that credit but what im pointing out is in a series where there are 2 well balanced team with a lot of fire power the team that gets more chances usually gets the shooting rhythm and therefore is more capable of exploding offensive wise, if you play basketball i'm sure you know what I mean. On the other hand the team that gets more calls usually gets frustrated and almost always affects the way they play as a team and as a player. Of course I'm not stupid enough to think that the refs would shoot and steal the ball, the usual case is teams who win by big margins ride on momentums and calls by the refs are huge part of it. Again Ginebra played well and they shot the ball well but the calls of the refs affected the game of SMB and gave the momentum to Ginebra.

Menk was injured and so was Ildefonso, they managed to win over Ginebra without Menk but also without Ildenfonso. Even on that part.

Whats your point in the last paragraph? Like I said the beneficiary is not Ginebra, not SMB, It's the PBA who would benefit from a long series. Thats why I said I don't think that SMC would have a hand on it if there was indeed a plan to let one team win. They won't benefit from it, like you said it's pocket change for SMC who pays big bucks to players but definitely it is not pocket change what the PBA would get if the series goes on to 7 games and if they give back Ginebra their usual do or die image.

With that said I just hope that the refs call it in the middle starting game 5. Just let the teams play a fair game. Quality games over money!

Why? the supposed income will be just a drop in the bucket for them...do you think the PBA per se is influencing SMC management to extend the series? Well think again....Will a reputable conglomerate like SMC do that and give in to the PBAs?prodding?

No it's not SMC who would do such thing, because they won't get anything from it if they do it. Panalo na SMC dito so why would they do such a thing? Para masira reputation ng company? NO WAY they would do that. Like I said think people who would benefit from a long series? NOT SMB AND NOT GINEBRA.

SMC management won't give in to the PBA's prodding but the PBA can control the refs can't they :evil:

Thanks for talking about TV Revenues.

@Everyone

ABC-5 has a contract with the PBA. The TV Coverage contract by ABC 5 isn't on a per game basis. Its a two season contract. So whether the PBA plays more games or the PBA plays less games is immaterial because the PBA will get the same amount from the TV Coverage.

but they won't get the same amount from gate receipts, endorsements, merchandise sales and advertisements.

Right bro...SMB and Ginebra teams would like to end the series ASAP if they have it their way..

Who would like the series to go the full route?

The people who think of a SMC or even a PBA conspiracy should think and do an enviromental scan...

Its Araneta Coliseum (or Cuneta Astrodome) management and ABC-5 (via TV ratings/viewership) would like such series to extend...Not to mention the other outside factors like business near the venue:D

No it's not SMC who would do such thing, because they won't get anything from it if they do it. Panalo na SMC dito so why would they do such a thing? Para masira reputation ng company? NO WAY they would do that. Like I said think people who would benefit from a long series? NOT SMB AND NOT GINEBRA.

SMC management won't give in to the PBA's prodding but the PBA can control the refs can't they :evil:

Edited by orionpax
but they won't get the same amount from gate receipts, endorsements, merchandise sales and advertisements.

1. Endorsements are given on a per annual basis and is based on the popularity of a player.

2. Advertisements are given on a per advertising deal basis.

3. Merchandise sales are driven by the popularity and success of a team.

Adding extra game/s in the finals won't affect the three items above. The only one affected by more games are gate receipts.

But how much is the income from gate receipts? Assuming that the average price of tickets for the entire Araneta is P100 and there are 15,000 people watching the game. That results in a gross sales amount of P150,000. Subtract 12% local taxes and you're left with P132,000. Of that amount half goes to Araneta which leaves the PBA with just P66,000.

Assuming the PBA and the two teams equally share the remaining sales, it leaves them with just P22,000 each. (Actually the winning team gets more but I remember the exact percentages of the ticket sales share between the three). That's not even 1/10th of the amount a star player gets.