San Miguel Beer

That is SMB's advantage. Imagine those 3 against only 1 for RBB. I really like the chances of SMB this conference. I hope I'm not wrong. Go SMB!!!

well... there's still mick pennisi and carlo sharma (who I feel is underrated...)

the real mismatch is danny seigle...

but personally I feel that RB can match up well against SMB

Chalk one up for our Beermen, Before the Semis started we all talked about the Siegles, the Ildefonsos, the Tugades, the Racelas and even the Peñas but we all forgot about someone named DONDON, Damn he was the one who bailed out the Beermen in last nights game. Bottoms up for Mr. Dondon Hontiveros!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

VETERANS SHINE AS SMB WINS SEMIS OPENER VS. RED BULL

Hontiveros, Ildefonso outscore entire Barako squad in 4th

Wednesday, 24 January 2007

For three quarters San Miguel Beer head coach Chot Reyes watched grimly as his off-form troops struggled to get their offensive flow and repeatedly threw away crucial possessions.

But when it seemed Reyes was ready to concede the game, Danny Ildefonso and Dondon Hontiveros picked up their rhythm and rallied the Beermen to a 114-109 victory over the Red Bull Barakos in Game 1 of their best-of-seven semifinal showdown in the Talk ‘N Text-PBA Philippine Cup at the Araneta Coliseum Wednesday night.

Ildefonso and Hontiveros combined for 7-of-9 shooting for 23 points as they practically carried the fight for the Beermen, who came away victorious despite committing 26 turnovers, their most this conference. The two SMB veterans actually outscored the entire Red Bull squad in the fourth period, 23-21.

A 19-2 run swayed the momentum in favor of the Beermen, visibly out of game-shape due to an almost one-month break they earned for gaining outright passage in the semis.

Hontiveros, who finished with 18, scored 12 of his 13 fourth-quarter points in that telling spurt that included three huge three-pointer. His last trey of the night ended that run and shove SMB ahead to stay, 111-102 with 2:34 left.

“We really expected to struggle in this ballgame with the long break that we had. Everybody was talking about the rust and the inactivity we had. I think those 26 turnovers is the best testament to how rusty we were coming into this game,” Reyes said.

“Besides, we are playing a tough team who is coming off a three-game winning streak and a lot of momentum. But fortunately the guys just stayed the course, they didn’t panic and somehow managed to make a run. In the end we just got lucky, ” he added.

It was a heartbreaking setback for the Barakos, who controlled the game for the most part and seemed to have the game all wrapped up when they took an 11-point advantage, 88-77 late in the third quarter.

But Red Bull suddenly lost its grit and aggressiveness in the fourth period and experienced an offensive meltdown which saw them making just 8-of-25 shots.

“I think we just outlasted them in the end because they (Barakos) were coming off a tough series,” observed Reyes whose wards will try to take a commanding 2-0 lead on Friday also at the Big Dome.

With tough defenders alternating on him, Danny Seigle hardly made an impact but still managed to show the way for the Beermen with 21 points. Ildefonso matched Hontiveros’ for SMB which shot 54 percent in the fourth quarter and outscored Red Bull, 32-21.

Enrico Villanueva and Junthy Valenzuela scored 20 points apiece to lead the Barakos, whose poor shooting from the line was partly to blame in their downfall. Red Bull missed 15 of 32 free throws with Villanueva going 6-for-15.

San Miguel Beer's previous high for turnovers in a game this conference was its 24 against Sta. Lucia last November 29 which curiously the Beermen also still won 113-98. (DBC)

The scores:

San Miguel Beer 114 – Seigle D. 21, Hontiveros 18, Ildefonso 18, Tugade 10, Racela 10, Adducul 8, Pena 8, Tenorio 7, Gonzales 6, Wilson 4, Espinas 2, Calaguio 2.

Red Bull 109 – Villanueva 20, Valenzuela 20, Pennis 15, Fonacier 14, Najorda 9, Cruz 8, Sharma 7, Alvarez 6, Membrere 4, Robinson 4, Baguio 2, Bugia 0.

Quarterscores: 25-27, 56-56, 82-88, 114-109

Hahahahaha.... actually I expected him to come back lalo na semifinals na eh :lol:

Game 2 sa Friday..... siguro wala nang kalawang.... 26 turnovers? Yikes! Buti panalo pa rin di ba :)

Ganda ng laro nung dalawang veterans (Ildefonso & Hontiveros). Na-outscore nung 2 yung buong redbull sa fourth quarter (10 ni Ildefonso + 13 ni Hontiveros) vs. 21 points ng Red Bull hehe...

Hahahahaha.... actually I expected him to come back lalo na semifinals na eh :lol:

Game 2 sa Friday..... siguro wala nang kalawang.... 26 turnovers? Yikes! Buti panalo pa rin di ba :)

Ganda ng laro nung dalawang veterans (Ildefonso & Hontiveros). Na-outscore nung 2 yung buong redbull sa fourth quarter (10 ni Ildefonso + 13 ni Hontiveros) vs. 21 points ng Red Bull hehe...

But the team can't expect to win everytime like that, they may not be so lucky the next time. Sana wala na lahat ng kalawang. Sabi nga sa Eat Bulaga itaktak nyo itaktak nyo!!!

2nd game sure n makakaadjust n ang SMB..

Gusto ko sna amgwatch pero sold out na tiket..

bka may alam p kau n makukuhanan ng tiket sa pba

meron pa dude... sa RB bench :P hehe

Chalk one up for our Beermen, Before the Semis started we all talked about the Siegles, the Ildefonsos, the Tugades, the Racelas and even the Peñas but we all forgot about someone named DONDON, Damn he was the one who bailed out the Beermen in last nights game. Bottoms up for Mr. Dondon Hontiveros!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

yep! kudos to Dondon!!! talk about a spectacular performance!

good thing he didn't lose his cool when rico went after him... pano pikon kasi!

he was the one who ran into Dondon tas sya pa mapipikon... Atenista nga tlaga!

yep! kudos to Dondon!!! talk about a spectacular performance!

good thing he didn't lose his cool when rico went after him... pano pikon kasi!

he was the one who ran into Dondon tas sya pa mapipikon... Atenista nga tlaga!

I don't think it has something to do with him being an Atenista, talagang mayabang yung mokong na yon!!! He should not be called a pro basketball player with his attitude. Hes a goon hiding inside a basketball players body.

i was hoping to watch the game live at araneta this afternoon... eh ayaw ko naman dun sa tuktok.. :D

sana panalo pa din sila...

curious thought lan, if ever smb wins three games in a row... aasahan ko bang mananalo ng 2 game pa red bull

bago tapusin ang series?(para me kita ang pba) :angry:

la lang, yun kasi mga umiikot na tsismis noon...

sana wala na din kalawang nila... buti na lang andun si dondon...