Mac Users Of Mtc (apple: Go Ahead, Take A Bite!)

• 2 weeks later...

i recently downloaded the new safari 4, the one with the multiple site preview, i noticed before i downloaded, using my old browser, and against the new browser (safari 4) or maybe because of my internet connection, the old one load sites faster than the new safari.... does anyone also noticed or its just me.

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning to buy my very first Mac Laptop and probably I'll get the Macbook PRO.

My friend advise me to just delay my plan until the new OS arrives sometimes in October, is it worth a wait or I can just buy now and then upgrade it later on? Mga how much kaya ang magiging price ng bagong OS na yun?

Hi guys, anybody know about the vertical lines problem that appear on the iMac LCD? I've read that this is a system defect on a certain batch of iMacs (unfortunately, i have one). Will Apple repair this even if its out of warranty already? Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, anybody know about the vertical lines problem that appear on the iMac LCD? I've read that this is a system defect on a certain batch of iMacs (unfortunately, i have one). Will Apple repair this even if its out of warranty already? Thanks in advance.

If it has been declared a manufacturing defect you are entitled to relief even if it is out of warranty as in the case of some overheating batteries some years back.

Although Googling revealed that you are not alone with this problem, "siang2x" post here: http://forums.macworld.com/thread/101104 should encourage you to take it up with Apple. On my old Macbook Pro Ynzal replaced my lcd twice because of a stain I complained of recurring--this was when they were still an apple reseller. I believe they can still help… (www.ynzal.com).

Apple has also been sued over unwanted vertical lines showing up on the displays built into some iMacs. The lawsuit may be turned into a class action, and the plaintiff wants Apple to implement a formal repair program for affected customers. Read it here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/01/new-year-lawsuit-targets-apple-over-lines-on-imac-displays.ars

Apple has also released some time back a Graphics Firmware Update for macbook pro 17s which was reported to have also fixed the same vertical cyan lines problem that appear in the imacs (you have an iMac 17?). The iMac uses the same components as the laptop. MacRumors reported that even if your MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 fixes the problem, Apple did not say if it was an overheating problem or a problem with the GeForce 9600M graphics card which is installed in the 17 -inch MBP.

If it is an overheating graphics chip you are definitely entitled to relief.

Sir, as always, many thanks for the usual helpful response.

Don't mention it…

I am planning to buy my very first Mac Laptop and probably I'll get the Macbook PRO.

My friend advise me to just delay my plan until the new OS arrives sometimes in October, is it worth a wait or I can just buy now and then upgrade it later on? Mga how much kaya ang magiging price ng bagong OS na yun?

In preparation to being a Mac user, the first thing you must learn is to unlearn all the superstitious cruft you would have learned and picked up in all the years working on Windows.

If you get a current Macbook Pro, you are sure that Snow Leopard will be compatible with it. Unlike Windows machines, you should not have any apprehensions on this count whatsoever. Unless of course you are worried that the increased speed under the new OS will be a problem.

Knowing Apple policy, if you buy a computer after they announce a release date for a new OS, you will get a very cheap, practically free upgrade price. Since Apple already said that the upgrade from OLD Leopard/Tiger users is $29, you can just imagine what that might be. In fact, if you buy your Mac from the right Apple reseller (PM me if you wish) you might even get this for free. NOTE: I am not a reseller. I do not get anything from recommending a reseller. I just want to share good experiences and warn people of bad ones.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't mention it…

In preparation to being a Mac user, the first thing you must learn is to unlearn all the superstitious cruft you would have learned and picked up in all the years working on Windows.

If you get a current Macbook Pro, you are sure that Snow Leopard will be compatible with it. Unlike Windows machines, you should not have any apprehensions on this count whatsoever. Unless of course you are worried that the increased speed under the new OS will be a problem.

Knowing Apple policy, if you buy a computer after they announce a release date for a new OS, you will get a very cheap, practically free upgrade price. Since Apple already said that the upgrade from OLD Leopard/Tiger users is $29, you can just imagine what that might be. In fact, if you buy your Mac from the right Apple reseller (PM me if you wish) you might even get this for free. NOTE: I am not a reseller. I do not get anything from recommending a reseller. I just want to share good experiences and warn people of bad ones.

Boomouse,

Thanks for the info. I've already bought my 15-in Macbook Pro and I'm sorry if I don't contact you anymore because I am outside the country at the moment.

Well, being a first timer with Apple, I am encountering some problems now especially having used Windows OS for thru all these years.

I have an External Hard Drive which I usually used as back-up to my former Windows PC but now when I try to connect it to my apple, I couldn't even see where is my hard disk is? My friend told me that in order for me to find it, I have to re-format my hard disk but my question is how am I able to do that since I have no more other PC with me except this one?

Boomouse,

Thanks for the info. I've already bought my 15-in Macbook Pro and I'm sorry if I don't contact you anymore because I am outside the country at the moment.

Well, being a first timer with Apple, I am encountering some problems now especially having used Windows OS for thru all these years.

I have an External Hard Drive which I usually used as back-up to my former Windows PC but now when I try to connect it to my apple, I couldn't even see where is my hard disk is? My friend told me that in order for me to find it, I have to re-format my hard disk but my question is how am I able to do that since I have no more other PC with me except this one?

Mac OS disks use a file system called HFS+. Windows 2000 can read and write HFS+ but not later versions. But this has nothing to do with your question. I only mention it first to complete the picture for you. OS X can read the windows file system NTFS but cannot write to it. If your external HD does not mount in OS X, the only thing I can think of is the possibility that you failed to put away your NTFS volume properly in Windows (using the Safely Remove Hardware command), NTFS can get itself all locked up, and unable to mount properly.

Try launching DISK UTILITY in OS X. It is found in APPLICATIONS:UTILITIES:DISK UTILITY. If DU can see it, then you confirm that the HD is not trashed. Leave it connected and reboot your Mac. Usually, it get to mount that way.

Now if you are able to mount your external NTFS HD and you still want to write to it without reformatting, you can buy a utility called Paragon NTFS which gives your Mac write capability in NTFS. Or if you know how to use bit torrent, here is a torrent file:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Paragon-NTFS-6...a8d4df7d766b4e2

Whether you use this torrent or not is between you and your conscience. I do not enocurage you. I have only pointed out its existence to you. Either way, I don't judge.

Or, you can consider the MacFUSE project here:

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

MacFUSE implements a mechanism that makes it possible to implement a fully functional file system in a user-space program on Mac OS X (10.4 and above). It provides multiple APIs, one of which is a superset of the FUSE (File-system in USEr space) API that originated on Linux. Therefore, many existing FUSE file systems become readily usable on Mac OS X. But get into this only if you are comfortable tooling around the UNIX OS -- which OS X is on the inside.

good pm sa lahat

panu po ba mag register ng wrranty..

hehehe

Galing ka sa Windows Ano?

Well, since you came in from the dark side, the Apple registration page is at:

https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GlobaliReg.woa

================================================

For all Mac owners, since our computers are relatively more durable than a Dell, HP, and definitely a Compaq, you probably will have a better chance of selling it in the second hand market when you are ready for a replacement. Although Macs hold their value quite well, the following ComputerWorld article will be even more helpful.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136906/Preserve_your_Mac_s_resale_value?source=rss_news

Preserve your Mac's resale value

By Dan Frakes August 20, 2009 10:25 AM ET

Macworld - One of the great things about using a Mac is that unlike many commodity Windows PCs, it doesn't turn to metaphorical dust--an unusable pile of silicon and metal--after three or four years of use. Heck, a three-year-old Mac is often still a solid computer, and a one-year-old Mac is a great "new" machine for many people. Which is why selling a Mac when it's of a relatively recent vintage can be an economical way to keep using the latest and greatest Mac hardware.

I've done my share of selling used Macs over the years; for a while in the late 90s and early 2000s, I would sell my old Mac after about a year of use, while it was still worth quite a bit, and buy the latest model for only a few hundred bucks more. I had to deal with the hassle of transferring my files more frequently than most people, but I always had a current computer and I paid less, overall, than it would have cost to upgrade every few years. For someone in my line of work, who has to be familiar with the latest models, it was a good plan. With the transition to Intel processors and lower Mac prices, this method isn't as feasible as it once was. But Macs still hold their resale value surprisingly well--especially if your Mac is in great shape when you sell it. With all the old, beat-up equipment on Ebay and CraigsList, a computer that's in pristine condition stands out and commands a premium price. Over the years, I've gotten pretty good at keeping my Macs in prime selling shape. Here are my tips for doing the same with yours:

Keep all your original boxes and materials. Nothing says "I care" more than a computer packed in the original box with all the original cables, manuals, and accessories. So keep track of everything that comes with your Mac when you first take it out of the box--take a digital photo, or write everything down on a note you keep in the box. Heck, if you're a veteran computer user, chances are you already have many of the accessories on hand; use your existing ones instead and keep the originals new in the box. Keep a record of your upgrades and additional accessories. Chances are, you invest more in your Macs than the original purchase price. Over the course of your ownership, you may install additional RAM, upgrade the hard drive, and more. Don't forget to keep a record of each hardware tweak; these details will not only give you a better idea of how much your Mac is worth, but if you include the information in the description of your Mac, you'll get more interest and higher offers.

Keep desktops covered. After liquids, heat, and smoke, perhaps the biggest environmental danger to a computer is dust. Put simply, dust kills--it can block ventilation openings, clog moving parts, and make heat sinks less effective. You can keep your Mac running cooler and working longer--and, thus, keep it in better selling condition--by keeping dust out. The easiest way to do this is to cover the computer when not in use.

Use a keyboard protector. As someone who's sold many Mac laptops over the years, and who worked in IT supporting hundreds of computers, I can tell you that few things turn off a computer user--and a potential computer buyer--than a gross keyboard. Keyboards are magnets for dirt, hair, germs, and miscellaneous bio-detritus, and everyone knows it. Even if the rest of your Mac is in great shape, if its keyboard looks disgusting and unhygienic, many buyers will be turned off. Even worse, if too much junk falls into your keyboard, that debris can cause problems--with the keyboard itself or, on laptops, with the entire computer. You can always clean your keyboard (see below), but a better option is to prevent it from getting nasty in the first place. A number of companies make keyboard covers that keep stuff from getting on and under your keys. The best of these are so thin that you barely know they're on. When you go to sell your Mac, pull off the skin and you've got a brand-new keyboard underneath.

Keep laptops protected. Obviously, the biggest danger to laptops is impact, so you should be sure to carry your MacBook in a bag or case that offers protection against bumps and drops. But just as big of a danger--at least when it comes to resale value--is cosmetic damage: scratches and scuffs. Take two aluminum MacBook Pros in identical functional condition, but one with a flawless finish and the other full of scratches, and the former will command a much higher used price. You can reduce blemishes by being extremely careful, but the truth is that most scratches result from everyday use--sliding a laptop across a desk, or picking up a notebook with a pen or keys in your hand. So I choose to use some always-on surface protection. One approach is a clip-on case such as Speck's SeeThru. Another is a super-tough, clear skin such as BodyGuardz or InvisibleShield that doesn't change the size or shape of your laptop, but fends off even scratches from keys and knives. You can remove the film before you sell your computer, leaving your buyer in awe that you were able to keep the finish scratch-free.

Clean it regularly. Despite your best efforts, your computer will get dirty. A few minutes of care every month will keep the gunk from building up and keep your Mac in prime selling condition. How do you clean it? Check out our guide to laptop cleaning and our article on routine Mac maintenance. (The tip about keeping your desktop Mac covered helps here, too. Five years ago I got my mother-in-law a RadTech ScreenSavrz for her "lampshade" iMac; she's used it every day since, and the screen still looks like it's fresh out of the box, despite being cleaned only a handful of times.)

Sell it before it gets too old. Obvious? Perhaps. But many Macs work so well for so long that their owners don't even consider selling until the computer is four or five generations old, at which point its resale value has dropped dramatically. So if you really do need the latest and greatest Mac, sell your current one when demand is high--which means before everyone else with the same model decides to sell. In my experience, current- and previous-generation Macs command big premiums, and even two-generations-ago models in great condition can garner surprisingly high prices. Once your Mac turns three (generations), you'll likely be disappointed by how much you get for it, even if you've babied it. While all this may seem like a bit of work, in reality it's fairly easy--just a few simple steps in the beginning and some occasional maintenance. And it's all worth it when you see the potential buyer's jaw drop as you bring out your Mac's original box, open it up, and carefully pull out a computer in pristine condition. Everybody wins: you get a great price, and the buyer gets a great Mac.

Galing ka sa Windows Ano?

Well, since you came in from the dark side, the Apple registration page is at:

https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GlobaliReg.woa

================================================

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136906/Preserve_your_Mac_s_resale_value?source=rss_news

Preserve your Mac's resale value

By Dan Frakes August 20, 2009 10:25 AM ET

galing ako sa Linux

Thanks....

kaso nagloloko ..mali daw day time contact number ko

waaah

Macworld - One of the great things about using a Mac is that unlike many commodity Windows PCs, it doesn't turn to metaphorical dust--an unusable pile of silicon and metal--after three or four years of use. Heck, a three-year-old Mac is often still a solid computer, and a one-year-old Mac is a great "new" machine for many people. Which is why selling a Mac when it's of a relatively recent vintage can be an economical way to keep using the latest and greatest Mac hardware.

I've done my share of selling used Macs over the years; for a while in the late 90s and early 2000s, I would sell my old Mac after about a year of use, while it was still worth quite a bit, and buy the latest model for only a few hundred bucks more. I had to deal with the hassle of transferring my files more frequently than most people, but I always had a current computer and I paid less, overall, than it would have cost to upgrade every few years. For someone in my line of work, who has to be familiar with the latest models, it was a good plan. With the transition to Intel processors and lower Mac prices, this method isn't as feasible as it once was. But Macs still hold their resale value surprisingly well--especially if your Mac is in great shape when you sell it. With all the old, beat-up equipment on Ebay and CraigsList, a computer that's in pristine condition stands out and commands a premium price. Over the years, I've gotten pretty good at keeping my Macs in prime selling shape. Here are my tips for doing the same with yours:

Keep all your original boxes and materials. Nothing says "I care" more than a computer packed in the original box with all the original cables, manuals, and accessories. So keep track of everything that comes with your Mac when you first take it out of the box--take a digital photo, or write everything down on a note you keep in the box. Heck, if you're a veteran computer user, chances are you already have many of the accessories on hand; use your existing ones instead and keep the originals new in the box. Keep a record of your upgrades and additional accessories. Chances are, you invest more in your Macs than the original purchase price. Over the course of your ownership, you may install additional RAM, upgrade the hard drive, and more. Don't forget to keep a record of each hardware tweak; these details will not only give you a better idea of how much your Mac is worth, but if you include the information in the description of your Mac, you'll get more interest and higher offers.

Keep desktops covered. After liquids, heat, and smoke, perhaps the biggest environmental danger to a computer is dust. Put simply, dust kills--it can block ventilation openings, clog moving parts, and make heat sinks less effective. You can keep your Mac running cooler and working longer--and, thus, keep it in better selling condition--by keeping dust out. The easiest way to do this is to cover the computer when not in use.

Use a keyboard protector. As someone who's sold many Mac laptops over the years, and who worked in IT supporting hundreds of computers, I can tell you that few things turn off a computer user--and a potential computer buyer--than a gross keyboard. Keyboards are magnets for dirt, hair, germs, and miscellaneous bio-detritus, and everyone knows it. Even if the rest of your Mac is in great shape, if its keyboard looks disgusting and unhygienic, many buyers will be turned off. Even worse, if too much junk falls into your keyboard, that debris can cause problems--with the keyboard itself or, on laptops, with the entire computer. You can always clean your keyboard (see below), but a better option is to prevent it from getting nasty in the first place. A number of companies make keyboard covers that keep stuff from getting on and under your keys. The best of these are so thin that you barely know they're on. When you go to sell your Mac, pull off the skin and you've got a brand-new keyboard underneath.

Keep laptops protected. Obviously, the biggest danger to laptops is impact, so you should be sure to carry your MacBook in a bag or case that offers protection against bumps and drops. But just as big of a danger--at least when it comes to resale value--is cosmetic damage: scratches and scuffs. Take two aluminum MacBook Pros in identical functional condition, but one with a flawless finish and the other full of scratches, and the former will command a much higher used price. You can reduce blemishes by being extremely careful, but the truth is that most scratches result from everyday use--sliding a laptop across a desk, or picking up a notebook with a pen or keys in your hand. So I choose to use some always-on surface protection. One approach is a clip-on case such as Speck's SeeThru. Another is a super-tough, clear skin such as BodyGuardz or InvisibleShield that doesn't change the size or shape of your laptop, but fends off even scratches from keys and knives. You can remove the film before you sell your computer, leaving your buyer in awe that you were able to keep the finish scratch-free.

Clean it regularly. Despite your best efforts, your computer will get dirty. A few minutes of care every month will keep the gunk from building up and keep your Mac in prime selling condition. How do you clean it? Check out our guide to laptop cleaning and our article on routine Mac maintenance. (The tip about keeping your desktop Mac covered helps here, too. Five years ago I got my mother-in-law a RadTech ScreenSavrz for her "lampshade" iMac; she's used it every day since, and the screen still looks like it's fresh out of the box, despite being cleaned only a handful of times.)

Sell it before it gets too old. Obvious? Perhaps. But many Macs work so well for so long that their owners don't even consider selling until the computer is four or five generations old, at which point its resale value has dropped dramatically. So if you really do need the latest and greatest Mac, sell your current one when demand is high--which means before everyone else with the same model decides to sell. In my experience, current- and previous-generation Macs command big premiums, and even two-generations-ago models in great condition can garner surprisingly high prices. Once your Mac turns three (generations), you'll likely be disappointed by how much you get for it, even if you've babied it. While all this may seem like a bit of work, in reality it's fairly easy--just a few simple steps in the beginning and some occasional maintenance. And it's all worth it when you see the potential buyer's jaw drop as you bring out your Mac's original box, open it up, and carefully pull out a computer in pristine condition. Everybody wins: you get a great price, and the buyer gets a great Mac.

q po..

kailangan po bang tanggalin ang magsafe cord pag full charge na ang Batt?

hindi ba mabilis masisira ang built in battery pack kasi full charged na pero nkasaksak pa din?

or apple is not stupid not to do somthing about this issue

alam ko kasi nid tanggalin ang power cord and run a batt pag full na sya..hehehe

im using PRO 13

salamas...

q po..

kailangan po bang tanggalin ang magsafe cord pag full charge na ang Batt?

hindi ba mabilis masisira ang built in battery pack kasi full charged na pero nkasaksak pa din?

or apple is not stupid not to do somthing about this issue

alam ko kasi nid tanggalin ang power cord and run a batt pag full na sya..hehehe

im using PRO 13

salamas...

No need to remove the power cord. Apple power management is all over the place. In the power brick, in the computer, and in the battery itself. The only thing you have to be careful of is draining the battery unnecessarily by removing the power cord and letting the unit go to sleep while an external device is being powered such as an external hd (some HDs are too stupid to go to sleep when the system does) and worse, a cheap cooling pad. Lithium batteries die immediately when drained beyond a certain point. Mac batteries are about P5k to P8k.

No need to remove the power cord. Apple power management is all over the place. In the power brick, in the computer, and in the battery itself. The only thing you have to be careful of is draining the battery unnecessarily by removing the power cord and letting the unit go to sleep while an external device is being powered such as an external hd (some HDs are too stupid to go to sleep when the system does) and worse, a cheap cooling pad. Lithium batteries die immediately when drained beyond a certain point. Mac batteries are about P5k to P8k.

salamas bro!

need ko pala buy ng colling pad

hehehe

d b mas mganda pag book? para nadadala mu khit saan?

Ang mga Mac iba ang pagkakagawa sa mga PC na nabibili sa tabi-tabi. Maliban lang sa Mac Pro -- yun pinakamahal na desktop model, lahat ng mga Mac mapa-notebook type O desktop kagaya ng iMac o Mac Mini ay pareparehong pang-notebook computer ang laman. Kahit na yun RAM na gamit nila mga SO-DIMM package na pang-notebook.

Hindi ibig sabihin nito na hindi matibay o pang heavy duty ang piyesa na gingamit. Kung tutuusin, mas mahirap ang buhay ng mga notebook kaysa sa mga desktop dahil palipat lipat ang gamit nito, iba iba ang kalidad ng kuryente na pumapasok sa power supply, nababagsak kuminsan, at dahil masikip ang mga casing, mas mahirap masingawin ang init ng mga piyesa. Ito and dahilan kaya mahal ang mga notebook. Mahirap pagsamahin ang maliit, matibay, at mura. Kaya ang mga Mac, maliit, matibay, at mahal.

Yun mga iMac naman, mas heavy duty ang mga power supply, mas malalaki ang mga hard disk (at mas mura dahil pwede yun mga 3.5-inch format na hard disk--pwera lang sa Mac Mini). Kung hindi lang kailangan bitbitin kung saan saan ang computer, dito na ako sa mga desktop model dahil sa halos parehong presyo, mas malaki ang screen, mas malakas ang speaker, mas matitibay ang mouse at keyboard, at walang battery na pagiingatan na hindi masira ng maaga.

Kung hindi mo naman kailangan gamitin sa trabaho dahil hindi ka naman kailangan lumbas ng opisina, wag ka na mag-notebook.

Syempre, kung gusto mo mag computer sa mga high class na coffee shop kahit na pa-Facebook-facebook ka lang at kaya ng bulsa mo, iba na ang dating mo kung merong maliwanag na puting mansanas makikita ang mga tao habang kunukumusta mo ang mga kaibigan mo sa Facebook.