• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Linux Anybody?

hello po... i'm new to linux... just installed kubuntu on my laptop... about 5 hours ago. just dabbling with it. i find surning the net faster than on windows though i use the same network. salamat sa mga posts ng mga linux masters. i'm learning a lot na.

my first question, is there a list of applications out there with their corresponding equivalents? (like ms office for windows, openoffice for linux). what's the photoshop equivalent for linux?

second question, how do you install programs and applications? if someone can point to me a url, that would be a great help. thansk in advance!

kubuntu uses adept to install/uninstall programs

you can use synaptic also

for photoshop equivalent use Gimp

• 2 weeks later...

@bubuy..

SuSe, Fedora, or Ubuntu? personally I'd choose Suse. Fedora is the prototype for Redhat, parang beta ng Redhat siya (hence the reference to hats). Ubuntu is based on debian which I'm not THAT comfortable with. yung root kasi eh, hehehe.. lagi ko nalilimutan kung paano i-set sa debian.

KDE or gnome? GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME! GNOME!

KDE looks like window$ kasi. para orig naman di ba?

to our linux enthusiasts/experts:

im want to revive my interest in linux, which ones should i choose (think of it as if you were in my place only diff is you are more updated)

please give views and pros & cons

1. SuSe, Fedora or Ubuntu?

2. KDE or Gnome?

OpenSuSE 11.2 is out, or better yet, get SLED

Mas malinis ang GNOME

CHEERS!!!

to our linux enthusiasts/experts:

im want to revive my interest in linux, which ones should i choose (think of it as if you were in my place only diff is you are more updated)

please give views and pros & cons

1. SuSe, Fedora or Ubuntu?

2. KDE or Gnome?

It would still depend on you. I have tried yung mga distro na sinabi mo pero wala naman me exact favorite. Pareho lang namin madali gamitin. Sa akin nagkakakatalo lang sa installation ng files. You dont have to worry because suse has yast, fedora has yum, and ubuntu has aptitude. You may want to try OpenSolaris. Based yung kernel nito sa solaris.

As for KDE and Gnome, kng san magrun yung mga apps na kailangan mo. I prefer Gnome. Mas madali gamitin at intuitive and design. D masyado mabigat sa Video Card unlike ng KDE. parang hirap na hirap irun ng laptop ko. Hehehehe.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
It would still depend on you. I have tried yung mga distro na sinabi mo pero wala naman me exact favorite. Pareho lang namin madali gamitin. Sa akin nagkakakatalo lang sa installation ng files. You dont have to worry because suse has yast, fedora has yum, and ubuntu has aptitude. You may want to try OpenSolaris. Based yung kernel nito sa solaris.

As for KDE and Gnome, kng san magrun yung mga apps na kailangan mo. I prefer Gnome. Mas madali gamitin at intuitive and design. D masyado mabigat sa Video Card unlike ng KDE. parang hirap na hirap irun ng laptop ko. Hehehehe.

Regards

open solaris. hahaha

Really pain in the a$$. Took me 3 days to figure out how to setup a jumpstart server. DHCP configuration is a painful without gui.

zfs rocks though. :)

• 2 weeks later...