• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

Linux Anybody?

I have heard of a Direct X emulator for ubuntu..btw any good 3d graphics softwre for linux..maya is way too expensive. :)

and have you heard? A company was raided for "piracy".Sabi nung nagraid it is because wala daw Windows sitcker yung mga CPU, so wala daw lisensiya yung software.Thing is..the company is using open source software and OS.I shared this with one of out IT people and she said "pirated software ang linux".WTF!?

That's f'ed up i even wonder even if those people how does the raiding even understand the concept of open source. As an IT person to claim linux as pirated is professional suicide.

Sir, nakaraid5 po yun server. kaya hindi po pwedeng i-slave sa linux. actually, may nakamount na external HD for backup. ang kulang nalang is yun pagtransfer ng file. pag kinocopy kasi naghahang na yun server.

This is interesting. I'll try to replicate this in our lab. Got spoiled having access to 500 TB SAN storage so it's easy moving files by adding LUNs. Anong distro gamit mo?

Guest L3viathan
That's f'ed up i even wonder even if those people how does the raiding even understand the concept of open source. As an IT person to claim linux as pirated is professional suicide.

bwahaha.. pirated ang linux?!? stupid conclusion.

:P my dad is the director at an elementary school here at my home province. they've recently bought 20 units for their computer laboratory. He asked me to set it up but at the same time is aware of the licensing of winxp. allergic na ang tatay ko sa licensing because someone from bitstop dagupan (an M$ distributor) did an inspection and thereafter sent a letter about the pirated winxp in some computers; specifically the principal and accounting computers (2 units lang ha).

it was a choice between ubuntu or suse for me :P both of them have the cute revolving desktop feature pang-aliw sa mga bata. since ubuntu installs faster (minus the big updates), yun na lang ang install ko.

habang nagiinstall ako sa laboratory kasama ko ang anak ko, who was also enrolled in the school. after installing in one unit gamit nya agad. instant browsing siya and even did an online typing lesson. mga kaklase nya na grade 2 nagsipagupuan na whenever I finish installing the OS. kahit na marunong sila sa windows OS madali lang para sa kanila ang gamitin ang ubuntu. point-and-click lang naman di ba. cute pa ng mga games :P

It took me 3 hours to install it in 20 units. I have 5 installers of ubuntu on hand. next ay yung units ng principal, librarian, and accounting.

hehe.. ayaw nila papalitan. wow, ang babaw ng rason. kesyo sanay na raw sa windows, malilito lang sila, matagal matuto, etc. hello.. grade 2 students nasa computer lab ngayon at nagbrobrowse ng internet and pinaglalaruan ang desktop walang complaints, kayo na matatanda ang titigas ng mga ulo.

haaay. my dad is now telling the adults to learn linux and openoffice. if pilit pa nila na windows ang unit nila, ikakaltas sa sweldo nila ang pangbili ng license (since the school has already decided to go opensource and would not spend on MS licenses)

--------------------------

isa pang kwento pala.

one of my staff is a student at STI taking up a computer course. I think it's IT or IS or MIS. this year they included in their course outline a subject dedicated to Openoffice.

my staff relates that her instructor in the openoffice subject is having a very very hard time teaching it to them. I asked why. sabi ng staff ko yung instructor kasi may libro on openoffice at hindi nya raw masundan ang instructions ng libro, particularly the exercises kaya hindi nya maituro ng maayos sa mga estudyante nya. the instructor always turn to MS office as an example. pag-gawa lang ng tables sa openoffice hindi magawa ng instructor.

hehe.. I told my staff to find out the title of the book the instructor is using, what version of openoffice is discussed in the book and what version is installed in their units. also as a joke, I told my staff to ask the instructor why would they instruct their students on MS office when NO ONE in the class can afford a licensed copy of MS Office.

the next day she came with the answers:

title of the book: Linux for dummies with openoffice

version on book: 1.8

version installed: 3.1

on the joke question the instructor replied: bili kayo sa akin ng copy ng MS office na tig-30 lang, libre kung bigyan nyo ako ng blank cd.

hahaha! that stupid instructor does not know what he is teaching and saying. he even encourages piracy! bwehehe. kaya ayun, my staff always gets high marks because opensource dito sa office; araw araw nya ginagamit ang openoffice.

recently tried gOS and LinuxMint, both are based on Ubuntu and are using Ubuntu's Software Repositories

gOS has wine automatically installed and have no problem installing Office 2003

it has Google Picasa also, I'm not really sure if it is using wine

it has Google Dock and Google Gadgets

but I'm still waiting for the release of Android for PC

LinuxMint has a Windows Like interface

Edited by brutus
Ok, first thing comes to mind is 1. imminent HD failure na mangyayari and 2. controller problem

Suggestion, off-peak mo gawin backup/copy to external HD

Hindi ganon ka-extensive experience ko sa RAID so hindi ganon ka-lalim sagot ko. Baka me ibang expert dito na makakatulong sa issue mo.

Ano nga pala distro gamit mo?

Sir, sinubukan ko ng mag backup using hard drive after ma-mount yun external drive ang problema pag nagcopy na from raid to external drive naghahang na. napupuno yun CPU utilization ng server.

sir, tanong ko lang, ano pong distro yun tinatanong niyo po?

This is interesting. I'll try to replicate this in our lab. Got spoiled having access to 500 TB SAN storage so it's easy moving files by adding LUNs. Anong distro gamit mo?

Thanks bro!

hindi ko na kasi alam yun gagawin ko sa server, its been down for a week na. I tried everything yet laging palpak. important pa naman yun laman ng server.

Thanks in advance

Thanks bro!

hindi ko na kasi alam yun gagawin ko sa server, its been down for a week na. I tried everything yet laging palpak. important pa naman yun laman ng server.

Thanks in advance

Distro meaning distribution = redhat, fedora, debian, suse, ubuntu, gentoo, etc

Still looking for a server from storage I can use to replicate this. We disposed all pizza boxes na kase. We're using all blades na. In the mean time try downloading ubuntu live cd and boot from cd. Make use to attach your usb connected hard drive and see if it can mount the raid 5 volume and the usb drive.

LVM is a volume manager in linux that can perform similar stuff as raid and a lot other stuff. In our case we use LVM primarily because you can expand your drive without re formatting. You simply add the physical volume to LVM and it takes care of expanding the logical volume again with out data loss or reformatting the volume to be usable. You can expand and remove on the fly. It is ideal for back up also since you can take snap shots of your volume, which you can restore to should you mess up. But is an ass to configure hehehe

Thanks bro!

Thanks in advance

1 week na down yan bro? sorry to hear that :hypocritesmiley:

Sa mga masters sa Linux, baka pwede nating pasyalan ito hehehehe ala informal EB tsaka exchange of info.

what say mga masters?

CHEERS!!!

Distro meaning distribution = redhat, fedora, debian, suse, ubuntu, gentoo, etc

Still looking for a server from storage I can use to replicate this. We disposed all pizza boxes na kase. We're using all blades na. In the mean time try downloading ubuntu live cd and boot from cd. Make use to attach your usb connected hard drive and see if it can mount the raid 5 volume and the usb drive.

LVM is a volume manager in linux that can perform similar stuff as raid and a lot other stuff. In our case we use LVM primarily because you can expand your drive without re formatting. You simply add the physical volume to LVM and it takes care of expanding the logical volume again with out data loss or reformatting the volume to be usable. You can expand and remove on the fly. It is ideal for back up also since you can take snap shots of your volume, which you can restore to should you mess up. But is an ass to configure hehehe

Thanks sa info, nadagdagan nanaman yun konting alam ko sa linux..

Centos 4.4 yun gamit namin sa server.

Nakakamount ako dude ng external na drive the problem is pag nag start ng magcopy yun file naghahang na. Naka rescue mode lang yun OS kasi hindi nagsastart sa centos. nagkakaron siya ng error kaya we had to use the rescue mode para lang maopen yun server. The problem is limited lang yun usage sa rescue mode.not all commands are allowed.

Pano kaya to mga sir?

1 week na down yan bro? sorry to hear that :hypocritesmiley:

Sa mga masters sa Linux, baka pwede nating pasyalan ito hehehehe ala informal EB tsaka exchange of info.

what say mga masters?

CHEERS!!!

Yes bro, its almost 2 weeks na nga eh. and almost everyday eto nalang ginagawa ko. wala na nga akong buhay dahil dito. Hindi ko naman maformat kasi masyadong maselan yun laman ng server.

I really appreciate the help bro. maraming salamat! mabuhay kayo mga master! :mtc:

Guest L3viathan

^^ano ang server ninyo? naka-xeon na may malaking case? or yung simpleng desktop lang? why not get another hard disk and format that into a new clean install of centos tapos ay i-mount mo na lang yung old hard drive later? raid 5 ha? hmm.. limited rin ang alam ko sa raid 5 but di ba dapat marerecover nyo ang laman ng naka-raid na HD? although yung steps hindi ko pa nasusubukan.

hehe, hanggang raid 3 lang ang nagagawa ko eh, masnakakatakot but the big hard disk real estate is worth it.

HTH