I hope we can take a second look at the Contitutional provision on the Judicial and Bar Council. The President appoints members in the judiciary based on the recommendation of the JBC (at least in theory). But out of the 8 members in the JBC, only 3 ex-oficio members may be considered independent. The 5 others (to include the ex-officio Justice Secretary) are appointed by the Presdent.

BTW, per the Constitution, there are only supposed to be 7 members (the eight being the Council Secretary who is the ex-officio Clerk of the Supreme Court). Presently, there are two members of Congress who are members of the JBC - one from the House and one from the Senate. If this was the intention of the Constitution, why does it say "and a representative of the Congress" and not "and representatives of the Congress"? This is the provision of Article VIII that I refer to:

Section 8. (1) A Judicial and Bar Council is hereby created under the supervision of the Supreme Court composed of the Chief Justice as ex officio Chairman, the Secretary of Justice, and a representative of the Congress as ex officio Members, a representative of the Integrated Bar, a professor of law, a retired Member of the Supreme Court, and a representative of the private sector.

• 5 weeks later...

Puede bang repeal a law? Repeal the Lina law.

A lot call it "the stupid Lina Law" but as far as I know, Lina did not do it all by himself. Majority of Congressmen endorsed it; the Senate passed it; and finally the President signed it into law. Therefore, if it is a stupid law, other people were just as stupid. Granting that it truly is stupid, I wonder why it is not being repealed. And I wonder why those who do not repeal it continue to be voted in

• 3 weeks later...

repeal the so called herrera law...maybe a law that would only allow ONE politician to be elected in public office and prohibiting any relative/s up to the 3rd or fourth degree of affinity or consanguinity from running and getting elected or appointed in any position in the government covering the entire philippines,hehehe and the prohibition is during the whole term...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Enact a law that makes child abandonment a serious crime. Also enact laws that will penalize parents who do not provide food, clothing, shelter, and education to their children. Parents of children caught selling sampaguitas late into the night or exposing their children to physical danger (eg. parents of children who were seriously injured by firecrackers) should be imprisoned for child endangerment. This includes parents who allow their children to play beside major roads and highways, allow their children to beg, bring along their children while begging, etc. Children are not assets to be used by their parents for their own benefit.

There is no room in a civilized society for irresponsible parents who bring children into the world who in turn become irresponsible citizens when they grow up. It's a never-ending cycle which will ensure that the majority of Filipinos become irresponsible citizens because their parents didn't nurture them when they were growing up and didn't teach their children right from wrong.

Edited by sonnyt111
  • 2 months later...

Fertility for cash "pera lang ang katapat" law.

The law will authorize the national government to fund a population control drive.

Women ages 18-45 can opt to be ligated (the entire procedure/hospital expenses to be shouldered by the government) and to will be given an additional P20,000 (tax free) as compensation.

Men ages 18-60 can opt to have vasectomy (the entire procedure/hospital expenses to be shouldered by the government) and to will be given an additional P20,000 (tax free) as compensation.

Take note that the scheme is completely VOLUNTARY and is only applicable to adults therefore it will not infringe any human rights.

----

It may seem that the government will surely lose a hefty amount of money for this kind of program, but think of it as an investment for the government. Imagine what the government will save by preventing just 1 birth per ligation.

- Public hospital expense for the delivery

- Mandatory vaccines for the baby (which were required by law)

- Other hospitalization costs

- Elementary and high school education costs

Now what if that single ligation prevented not just one birth but three, five or maybe even seven births? Savings di ba?

It's an absolutely win win situation for the government and the citizen. The government will save money in the long run, and at the same time the person will walk with 15K. It's a better deal than selling one's kidney.

In the long run, the real winner will be all of us for sure. Since the population growth will be lesser I think will have a better shot on improving our country's living standards.

I'm not saying that this scheme will automatically improve the lives of every Filipino since there are still bigger problems such as corruption, but that is another matter.

Fertility for cash "pera lang ang katapat" law.

The law will authorize the national government to fund a population control drive.

Women ages 18-45 can opt to be ligated (the entire procedure/hospital expenses to be shouldered by the government) and to will be given an additional P20,000 (tax free) as compensation.

Men ages 18-60 can opt to have vasectomy (the entire procedure/hospital expenses to be shouldered by the government) and to will be given an additional P20,000 (tax free) as compensation.

Take note that the scheme is completely VOLUNTARY and is only applicable to adults therefore it will not infringe any human rights.

----

It may seem that the government will surely lose a hefty amount of money for this kind of program, but think of it as an investment for the government. Imagine what the government will save by preventing just 1 birth per ligation.

- Public hospital expense for the delivery

- Mandatory vaccines for the baby (which were required by law)

- Other hospitalization costs

- Elementary and high school education costs

Now what if that single ligation prevented not just one birth but three, five or maybe even seven births? Savings di ba?

It's an absolutely win win situation for the government and the citizen. The government will save money in the long run, and at the same time the person will walk with 15K. It's a better deal than selling one's kidney.

In the long run, the real winner will be all of us for sure. Since the population growth will be lesser I think will have a better shot on improving our country's living standards.

I'm not saying that this scheme will automatically improve the lives of every Filipino since there are still bigger problems such as corruption, but that is another matter.

I like this. Absolutely agree!

I wish a law is enacted which will exempt land owners whose properties are infested with squatters from having to pay realty/property tax. If such a law were enacted, local governments won't have any funds at their disposal if most of the property owners' lands in their jurisdictions are infested with squatters. This will in turn force the city/municipal government to evict squatters from the lands of honest land owners. The mayors will no longer be able to coddle squatters in their areas.

National and centralized ID system

-Hindi ko alam kung ano problema ng mga tao dito, samantalang lahat naman siguro ng tao ngayon kelangan magdala ng ID.

Tanggalan ng Custody ang mga magulang na walang trabaho at lalo kung squatter o walang bahay.

- Sa mga first world na bansa, kapag wala kang trabaho o kahit nga wala kang kotse para madala anak mo sa eskwelahan, kukunin anak mo at ilalagay sa mga foster homes. Ito ang kailangan na kailangan nating batas. Isipin nyo naman ang dami sa payatas ang gawa lang ng gawa ng bata, pagkatapos ano magiging buhay ng mga batang yan? Mamumulot ng basura? O kaya pwedeng maging salot pa sa lipunan. Pero tingin ko ito ang batas na hahadlangan ng mga Trapo. Lalo pa at mayaman sa boto ang squatters area.

National and centralized ID system

-Hindi ko alam kung ano problema ng mga tao dito, samantalang lahat naman siguro ng tao ngayon kelangan magdala ng ID.

Tanggalan ng Custody ang mga magulang na walang trabaho at lalo kung squatter o walang bahay.

- Sa mga first world na bansa, kapag wala kang trabaho o kahit nga wala kang kotse para madala anak mo sa eskwelahan, kukunin anak mo at ilalagay sa mga foster homes. Ito ang kailangan na kailangan nating batas. Isipin nyo naman ang dami sa payatas ang gawa lang ng gawa ng bata, pagkatapos ano magiging buhay ng mga batang yan? Mamumulot ng basura? O kaya pwedeng maging salot pa sa lipunan. Pero tingin ko ito ang batas na hahadlangan ng mga Trapo. Lalo pa at mayaman sa boto ang squatters area.

Makes sense. Sangayon ako dito.

Robbery suspects are currently allowed to post bail. How about a 3-strike law that will automatically disqualify these criminals from posting bail? Cmon, I'd rather see Napoles granted bail (she's not a threat to my security) rather than a robbery suspect (who's a threat to everybody's safety and security).

Once arrested 3 times for the same offense, the criminal will have to spend mandatory time in jail until his court hearing. Even then, he won't be set free until he's found "not guilty" by the judge.

Robbery committed with the use of a deadly weapon (knives/guns) will automatically disqualify these criminals from posting bail if evidence that they committed the crime is strong. This includes eyewitness accounts, criminals caught in the act by police, etc.

Eyewitnesses will be more willing to testify in court knowing that the criminal is behind bars, unable to post bail. Right now, criminals who post bail may intimidate witnesses or even k*ll them.

Another law which will benefit society is to impose stiffer penalties on members of the police and military who commit crimes. For instance if the penalty for robbery is 21 years for ordinary citizens, then police/military personnel convicted of robbery will be sentenced to 42 years. They betrayed the public trust, thus earning them a more severe penalty.

The message of this law is very clear. If you intend to rob people, don't join the police force. Because if you are caught, the penalty is much higher.

Hopefully the number of scalawags in uniform will diminish if such a law is passed.

How about a law permanently disqualifying ex-convicts from running for public office? I don't see why someone who's been convicted of plunder which carries a life sentence(eg. Erap Estrada) be allowed to run for the highest office of the land.

His conviction for plunder didn't stop his political career dead in its tracks. The fact that he's now mayor of Manila proves that even ex-criminals can run for public office.

I'd like to see a law enacted that would prevent persons who are accused of plunder from leaving the country. In the case of the 3 senators who were named by Ben Hur Luy, even if they weren't formally charged with plunder, such a law would have prevented them from leaving the Philippines pending a recommendation from the Office of the Ombudsman.

As it is, two of the three senators are now overseas. Of all times, now that the recommendation has been forwarded to the Sandiganbayan for disposition.

Abolish income tax!

In many cases, income tax is a form of double taxation.

Income tax is also a tax that makes us corrupt.

Increase the tax rate of other taxes to make up for the shortfall.

I like this. Since the tax just goes into private pockets anyway, why not just abolish the tax and let the citizens enjoy the money they save by not paying the income tax? The people will benefit from this law. Plunderers won't.

I'd like to see a law enacted that would prevent persons who are accused of plunder from leaving the country. In the case of the 3 senators who were named by Ben Hur Luy, even if they weren't formally charged with plunder, such a law would have prevented them from leaving the Philippines pending a recommendation from the Office of the Ombudsman.

As it is, two of the three senators are now overseas. Of all times, now that the recommendation has been forwarded to the Sandiganbayan for disposition.

I think this would be a good thing. But unfortunately, I think this is like asking the fox to guard the hen house. No senator would want to create a law that could come back and bite him in the ass some time down the line.

I think this would be a good thing. But unfortunately, I think this is like asking the fox to guard the hen house. No senator would want to create a law that could come back and bite him in the ass some time down the line.

So perhaps the Department of Justice or the Supreme Court itself could issue guidelines that would restrict overseas travel to citizens including lawmakers who are accused of serious crimes such as plunder.