• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

• 5 months later...

Balikbayans are seen as ATM. No more, no less.

I used to be an OFW and what is annoying is how we are automatically referred to as someone na "nakaka-angat." When I came back for good dito sa pinas, I was overwhelmed not with happiness but with the way ex-OFW's are treated by freeloading kababayans lalong lalo na ng mga kamag-anak; andyan yung expected nila magpapa-inom ka, manlilibre, mag uuwi ng pasalubong, etc. Yung mga dating kakilala at kaibigan mo na biglang nag iba ang tingin syo in such a way na parang mga buwitreng nag aantay lang ng pagkakataon na magatasan ka ng pinaghirapan mong pera.

OFW's are not the bagong bayani. Far from it. We are just slaves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I hate how Pinoys view people na nakapagabroad

Laging sinasabi "nakapagabroad ka lang yumabang ka na". Makikita mo talaga crab mentality ng Pinoy.

First of all, I worked my ass off to earn the opportunity I had outside ng Pinas. I keep working my ass off to stay here. Di ko naman kasalanan kung wala sa Pilipinas yung industry ko. At para bang lagi ko kelangan ibaba sarili ko sa kanila, komo sila itong walang napuntahan sa buhay nila.

OO talagang nagiiba ang ugali ng nakakatira sa abroad. nae-expose kasi sa ibang kultura. Wala naman masama dun kung yung babaunin na impluwensya ay yung magaganda. Tsaka talaga, pag nakikita mo ibang progresibong bansa, hindi mo talaga maiiwasang sabihin na sana ganito din satin.

I have a story to share. I have a friend who worked overseas. He visited the Philippines around 8 years ago and he was loaded, so obviously he had a lot of "friends". Last year, he visited the country again but this time he was broke because he got laid off and was unemployed for over a year because of a certain life event. He had less "friends" during his last visit, when he was telling people that he is in the Philippines they would always say "Libre kana!" which is really disappointing. I found it as an opportunity to pay him back on how he spent money on us 8 years ago. Anyway, the most disappointing part, he went back overseas after a few months and no one was there to accompany him. Even his family did not have the Amor to bring him to the airport for his flight. So di lahat ng balikbayan laging madami pera may mga umuuwi na may pinagdadaanan.