How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

• 2 weeks later...

I have ambivalent feelings about Filipinos who migrate to other countries. Sometimes I feel that they are traitors for leaving but sometimes I can't blame them because life is harder in the Philippines although there are trade-offs also like the fair weather, cheap prices, beautiful people and being with your loved ones. Mahirap lang talaga kumita sa Pinas kasi. But for me, I am staying because I want to contribute and serve here, even if their embassies deliver their visas to my house.

Depends on the pinoy you ask. Many pinoys look up to balikbayans, some in the upper echelons of Philippine society probably look down on these balikbayans, The families of balikbayans are elated their loved ones are in town, criminal elements are trying to find ways to victimize balikbayays, Filipinos living below the poverty levels are glad that balikbayan friends/realtives are in town so they can avail of the gifts awaiting them from their long lost relatives.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Balikbayans are seen as ATM. No more, no less.

I used to be an OFW and what is annoying is how we are automatically referred to as someone na "nakaka-angat." When I came back for good dito sa pinas, I was overwhelmed not with happiness but with the way ex-OFW's are treated by freeloading kababayans lalong lalo na ng mga kamag-anak; andyan yung expected nila magpapa-inom ka, manlilibre, mag uuwi ng pasalubong, etc. Yung mga dating kakilala at kaibigan mo na biglang nag iba ang tingin syo in such a way na parang mga buwitreng nag aantay lang ng pagkakataon na magatasan ka ng pinaghirapan mong pera.

OFW's are not the bagong bayani. Far from it. We are just slaves.

• 4 weeks later...