Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Programming Languages & IDE/Editors

• BlueJ - developed at a University specifically for the purpose of teaching object orientation with Java. - jpshortstuff
  • Code::Blocks - a cross platform C++ IDE built to meet the most demanding needs of its users. It is designed to be very extensible and fully configurable - Romeo29
  • ConTEXT - a small, fast and powerful text editor, developed to serve as a secondary tool for software developers - scff249
  • Eclipse - used for Enterprise Development, Embedded + Device Development, Rich Client Platform, Application Frameworks, and Language IDE - jpshortstuff
  • jEdit - a mature programmer's text editor Compatibility: Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows - nigglesnush85
  • NetBeans IDE - all the tools you need to create professional desktop, enterprise, web, and mobile applications with the Java language, C/C++, and even dynamic languages such as PHP, JavaScript, Groovy, and Ruby Compatibility: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris - nigglesnush85
  • phpEdit - PHP IDE (Newest version 2.6.0 is pay for. Previous versions are freeware)
  • PSPad - a code editor that supports many file types and languages, with syntax highlighting. There are macros, clip files and templates to automate repetative tasks. Integrated HEX Editor, Project support, FTP Client, Macro Recorder, File Search/Replace, Code Explorer, Code page conversion... - phew
  • Visual Studio Express Products - This includes Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, Visual J#, SQL Server, and Visual Web Dev.
  • wxDev-C++ - helps you to create dialogs and frames for wxWidgets visually using a form designer - Romeo29

Time & Weather

• Alarm - a digital clock that you can set to display a message and play a sound at a time of your choice. Compatibility: Windows 9*/ME/NT/2*/XP/Vista - Montel89
  • Atomic TimeSync - synchronize your system clock with the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology). - Herk
  • ClocX - An analog clock application for Microsoft Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003. - tg911
  • DS Clock - a digital desktop clock that displays variable date and time information built from the format string - saint satin stain
  • ForecastFox - (Firefox extension)This great little extension allows you to set it up so you can always view your local forecast in your Firefox Browser itself. The forecasts come straight from the Weather Channel's website. - tg911
  • Forecastfox Enhanced - (Firefox extension) Enhanced version of the popular Forecastfox extension that adds 12 improved radar images and the ability to supply an URL for your own radar image.
  • Neutron - simple and small time synchronizing program that retrieves the accurate time from one of several specialized time servers on the Internet. - turbines
  • Qlock - world time clock - DSTM
  • SysMetrix - Highly customizable, and skinnable clock. Can be customized to monitor the weather, your e-mail, cpu, memory usage and many other things, in addition to the time. - Ronbo
  • Weather Pulse - A weather application
  • Weather Watcher - personal Windows desktop weather station. Automatically retrieve the current conditions, hourly forecast, daily forecast, detailed forecast, severe weather alerts from the National Weather Service (US only), and weather maps for over 77,000 cities world-wide - 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista - saint satin stain
  • WebTime2000 - WebTime 2000 is a small utility program that will synchronize your PC's internal clock with one of the several atomic clocks maintained by the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology

that's all folks!

Please, feel free to suggest any additions to this list, that you might have.

Just abide by these 2 conditions:

1. It must be Freeware (free programs).

2. It must not contain any Spyware/Malware.

Registry cleaners are not included in this list due to the fact that, in the hands of inexperienced users, they could cause irreparable damage to the Operating System, and render their computer inoperable.

So to be on the safe side, they aren't included in the list.Please do not recommend any registry cleaners for inclusion into this list.

So, if you have a program that's not on the list, that you use and like, please suggest it.Who knows, it might be "just the program" someone was looking for.All suggestions, will be considered for addition to the list.

If you find any links that don't work, or that don't lead to where they are supposed to, please post them as a reply to this topic, or send me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow you covered it all. ^_^

Yes I agree that registry cleaners should not be treated as a toy.

This is also true with MBAM. Don't be tempted to delete things other than what MBAM has deleted.

I just want to add, the K-lite codec pack also comes with windows media classic (the full version. Also it's free)

For a free app that I use a lot

TEAM VIEWER - a remote desktop application that supports, remote access, presentation, vpn and file transferring

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would just like to express my most heartfelt gratitude to Samantha Jones. You are definitely one of the people who keeps manilatonight.com rocking. I'm not ashamed to let everyone know that I'm teary-eyed while writing this repy (too many chick flicks with my gf). I look forward to future posts like this and rest assure I would contribute as well (as soon as Globe broadband cleans up its act because i can only download and not upload files). MTC rules!!!! :mtc: :mtc:

Edited by DellrepFox
  • 3 weeks later...
Wow you covered it all. ^_^

Yes I agree that registry cleaners should not be treated as a toy.

This is also true with MBAM. Don't be tempted to delete things other than what MBAM has deleted.

I just want to add, the K-lite codec pack also comes with windows media classic (the full version. Also it's free)

For a free app that I use a lot

TEAM VIEWER - a remote desktop application that supports, remote access, presentation, vpn and file transferring

don't you just love remote desktop troubleshooting?  :thumbsupsmiley:

Firewall - comodo

System Information - rubber ducky

Windows Desktop Customization - vistamizer and/or sevenmizer (both for XP)

nice one keep them coming! 

I would just like to express my most heartfelt gratitude to Samantha Jones. You are definitely one of the people who keeps manilatonight.com rocking. I'm not ashamed to let everyone know that I'm teary-eyed while writing this repy (too many chick flicks with my gf). I look forward to future posts like this and rest assure I would contribute as well (as soon as Globe broadband cleans up its act because i can only download and not upload files). MTC rules!!!! :mtc: :mtc:

aaaw..thanks a lot bro! time to change isp man! btw are you from dell too?

Edited by SamanthaJones
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys I need this kind of software un hindi trial.. By just hitting alt + the letter which you want to have a tilde on top of it.

I tried to look for a non trial version in google, but to no avail, wala ako makita.. help nman guys.

http://www.typeaccents.com/images/screenshots/e-grid.png

Hi guys I need this kind of software un hindi trial.. By just hitting alt + the letter which you want to have a tilde on top of it.

I tried to look for a non trial version in google, but to no avail, wala ako makita.. help nman guys.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry for the very late reply...anyway check out the links below. Hope that's what you need

http://www.brotherso...oad-145639.html

http://www.soft3k.co...eKeys-p1263.htm

hi, all.

can you recommend a freeware app

i could use to combine a bunch of JPG pics

together with an MP3 music file

to make a movie collage

which i will upload eventually

in YouTube?

tia! B)

hi there! you can always use windows movie maker. But if it doesn't suit what you need i'll try to find an alternative.

Edited by SamanthaJones
  • 4 months later...

meron din built in and windows nito.

Start > programs > accessories > system tools > character map.

Text to Speech programs:

-NaturalReader 10 free version. Converts text documents to spoken word. Does not generate an audio file though, file reader lang talaga sya.

-Balabolka. Same thing as NaturalReader, but you can save speech generated as an mp3 or wav file.

-another alternative is Dspeech (scroll down a bit). Can save to audio files too.

I'm using Balabolka btw to generate audio books for law school. Do take note though that these TTS programs are merely the front-end.

Let me explain a bit.

A simplified explanation is that the TTS front-end converts the text into a phonetic transcription that can be understood by the TTS back-end (or synthesizer). Based on this phonetic transcription from the front-end, the synthesizer then generates the sound. So generally the TTS synthesizer may vary in the voices used, the language employed, or in its vocabulary (e.g. ability to pronounce medical jargon correctly). My Windows 7 has Microsoft Anna as the built in TTS synthesizer (seriously, it sucks compared to say IVONA's British English Amy or Brian. No, IVONA voices are not free lol).

You can download free speech synthesizers here: http://www.bytecool.com/voices.htm.