Bible Versus Science

I find it hard to compare bible and science. They both quench different aspects of a person's life. We should learn to use it to our advantage. Wag tayo masyado sigurong obsessed with one and neglect or consider the other as less significant. Incorporating both would probably make us whole. Just an opinion.

i'm an atheist, & i'm PROUD to be one.

question lng: if there really is a god, why did he allow this to happen:

http://www.sudan.net/graphic/news/famine/famine_lying.jpg

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?

Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?

Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?

Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?

Then why call him God?”

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that science and religion need not be mutually exclusive in meaning. One of the basic tenets of religion is to embrace the "Truth". Likewise, science attempts to explain everything, discovering the "Truth". A scientist need not be a disbeliever in a Supreme Being just because there's no concrete evidence or a sound theory to be based his reasons with. In fact, a scientist should start his reasoning by basing his arguments inclined towards a theory that there is a God. As we all know, a theory, unless proven or disproven, is just a theory. Meaning there might be a God or not. Now, would it be nice to adhere to the beliefs of a "God Theory" than nothing at all?

The most famous scientist of all once said that,"God does NOT play dice".

So if a scientist like him believe that there is a God, shouldn't we believe in?

The Bible says that "God created man in a day.....". The Bible is trying to say the "Truth" of how long did God made the first man. Has science attempted to explained this to us? the answer is "YES".

The answer lies in a scientific theory called "Theory of Evolution" by Charles Darwin.

This theory explained that evolution doesn't happen overnight. The process can occur a thousand or million years. It means it will take thousands of years for a single cell microorganism to evolve into a more intelligent species like apes or man.

So if it takes a thousand years for man to evolve, how come that the Bible declared that "God created man in a day"? Pretty weird, isn't it?

Well, the answer is in the Bible itself, somewhere in the Bible, there's a verse which declared that an hour of God is equivalent to a hundred days for man. Well, do the math. This means that if God created man in a day (24 hours), then science explained that man's evolution took hundreds of years!

Both beliefs DO really compliments each other, not otherwise.

Now this really amazes me! It means God's timepiece is different than mine! And that's the "Truth".

BTW, curious about the scientist who said that "God does not play dice"?

It's Albert Einstein, the author the famous equation "E=MC2". Because of his equation, he saw the "truth" about how powerful God can be. Does "Hiroshima" and "Nagasaki" ring a bell?

Also, he's the one who could explain to you why God has a different timepiece that ours....hehehe :)

i'm an atheist, & i'm PROUD to be one.

question lng: if there really is a god, why did he allow this to happen:

http://www.sudan.net/graphic/news/famine/famine_lying.jpg

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?

Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?

Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing?

Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?

Then why call him God?”

question lang din: why do WE allow this to happen? hindi ba tao rin may kasalanan ng poverty and hardships especially sa south africa? we have war. we have selfish people. we have inhuman traditions. cant we do something about this?

walang taong magugutom kung magtulungan tayo. walang taong maghirap kung magtulungan tayo.

i do not claim to know the mind of God, but as a person, i will do whatever i can as best ican, but not all the time. i cannot take responsibility for everything but must take responsibility for what i can and am responsible for.

for example, if i was a dad, and my kid was in trouble, my natural tendency is to help my kid. i will if and when i have to. but as a dad as well i know the limits and capabilities of my son. i WILL want him to do what is required of him, what he can do, what hes responsible for.

kung yung example mo na yan one person can make a difference, do we really need to ask God to help us with this? isnt it already Gods blessing, and answer that He has given man, He has given us the capacity to care and be able to do something about this?

just my two cents.

oh just some points on omnipotence and omniscience... in as much as science makes its discoveries... it still cannot and never answer as to the why and how these discoveries define such a logical progression and structure in nature. there must be some intelligence that has given plan to reality to have conceived such details from the microscopic to the macroscopic, and even societal which is more than beyond the reach of scientific certainty.

is he malevolent? or are we? again is he the one causing misery towards men or is it us causing misery towards others? remember the simple simple statement of love your neighbor. if we only followed that and lived that, do you think may paghihirap? honestly. if i see a person hungry, if i can give him food i will. if i cant, ill see if there are any other comforts i can render. if not, i can always ask other people to do what they can. so thats one less miserable person. one less suffering. one less potential evil. so is God malevolent?

when come evil? from us. not God. thats the price we must pay for free will. that is Gods ultimate gift to us. that we have the greatest capacity for good beyond any of His creations. on the downside, the fact that we have freewill means he cannot simply intervene when we cannot make use of our freewill for the good.

question lang din: why do WE allow this to happen? hindi ba tao rin may kasalanan ng poverty and hardships especially sa south africa? we have war. we have selfish people. we have inhuman traditions. cant we do something about this?

walang taong magugutom kung magtulungan tayo. walang taong maghirap kung magtulungan tayo.

i do not claim to know the mind of God, but as a person, i will do whatever i can as best ican, but not all the time. i cannot take responsibility for everything but must take responsibility for what i can and am responsible for.

for example, if i was a dad, and my kid was in trouble, my natural tendency is to help my kid. i will if and when i have to. but as a dad as well i know the limits and capabilities of my son. i WILL want him to do what is required of him, what he can do, what hes responsible for.

kung yung example mo na yan one person can make a difference, do we really need to ask God to help us with this? isnt it already Gods blessing, and answer that He has given man, He has given us the capacity to care and be able to do something about this?

just my two cents.

oh just some points on omnipotence and omniscience... in as much as science makes its discoveries... it still cannot and never answer as to the why and how these discoveries define such a logical progression and structure in nature. there must be some intelligence that has given plan to reality to have conceived such details from the microscopic to the macroscopic, and even societal which is more than beyond the reach of scientific certainty.

is he malevolent? or are we? again is he the one causing misery towards men or is it us causing misery towards others? remember the simple simple statement of love your neighbor. if we only followed that and lived that, do you think may paghihirap? honestly. if i see a person hungry, if i can give him food i will. if i cant, ill see if there are any other comforts i can render. if not, i can always ask other people to do what they can. so thats one less miserable person. one less suffering. one less potential evil. so is God malevolent?

when come evil? from us. not God. thats the price we must pay for free will. that is Gods ultimate gift to us. that we have the greatest capacity for good beyond any of His creations. on the downside, the fact that we have freewill means he cannot simply intervene when we cannot make use of our freewill for the good.

What I am pointing is, things happen the way they are simple because gOD DOESN'T EXIST, there is NO gOD to help the child in the picture.

just because God doesnt help the child with a mighty hand and He shows up out in the blue in a puff of smoke or booming voice to bless that child to live and not be hungry or miserable doesnt mean there is no God?

can you do so much to do something to help this child? i know i can. so if i can, God therefore must be able to do more since He is God right? thats probably your logic. so with every little bit of misery in the world we simply will wait for God to magically whisk away our freedom to be able to do anything and he instead will just make our lives so happy happy and whimsical with sugar fairies flying in a rainbow sugar drop sky and an endless supply of food at our golden gilded tables.

fantasy.

well... if I were God and i had created a being like man capable of such good and intelligence and freedom as i would like to think men are... i would love to let my creation learn for himself that he has that capacity to be God-like and be part of the process of creation and maintenance. to exercise his dominance over all creation in a benevolent way, since he is the greatest of my creations. my penultimate invention should be able to do the good i have designed him to be in my image to know what it means and feels to be able to do good. i would want man to experience such joy in his capacity and NOT baby him and take strip away any that experience from him.

like any good father would want the best for their kid right?

also, going back to the imagery of the child... even if this child dies, its not about simply having life that makes this childs life worth living. it is not the the having breath or being able to live. but rather doing what you have with whatever bit of life youre blessed with. even in the face of misery, it is how dignified one lives his life inspite of the situations that make one more human. if this kid dies, that is a sad fate yes because of poverty and misery. he could have had the potential for more. but if he lived his life beyond the limitations caused to him by society, that he did not cause misery to others by going on a rampage killing other people just to get their property and goods and idiotic traditions like what he brethren are doing to keep himself alive at the cost of another persons life, well then i still will believe that there is a God who is able to bring out such good out of the evils of peoples causing.

think about it, this child NEED NOT SUFFER like that and even when he is suffering, beyond that evil he can LIVE a dignified life, where does that strength come from? yeah it comes from himself, but there must be something more than the human condition that makes him excel, there must be that blessing that gives him that extra strength to not succumb to the desperation others have caused him through war and strife.

so why does she suffer?

there is war in africa. for what? tradition. cant we change that tradition? we have the concept of eye for an eye, or even the basic human tenet of selfishness. africa is a great rich nation, yet why are they so poor? is it because of God? or is it because of human greed?

and not just in africa, this was just one example given the picture of suffering. it is everywhere. and geez to blame God for not intervening and base His existence on a seeming absence is simply selfish of anyone to consider.

Edited by poppinfresh2k5
just because God doesnt help the child with a mighty hand and He shows up out in the blue in a puff of smoke or booming voice to bless that child to live and not be hungry or miserable doesnt mean there is no God?

But if there really is a god, he/it can do something for the child. Walang ibang tutulong sa bata other than ang sarili nya o/at ang kapwa nya tao. Hindi ang diyos dahil walang magagawa ang diyos. Walang magagawa ang diyos dahil walang kakayahan ang diyos. Walang kakayahan ang diyos dahil hindi totoo ang diyos. Hindi totoo ang diyos dahil sa isipan nyo lang sya nag-i-exist.

can you do so much to do something to help this child? i know i can. so if i can, God therefore must be able to do more since He is God right? thats probably your logic. so with every little bit of misery in the world we simply will wait for God to magically whisk away our freedom to be able to do anything and he instead will just make our lives so happy happy and whimsical with sugar fairies flying in a rainbow sugar drop sky and an endless supply of food at our golden gilded tables.

fantasy.

Correction, it is “… YOU (theist) simply will wait for god to magically whisk away YOUR freedom…”

We (atheist) don’t cause we know there is no god.

well... if I were God and i had created a being like man capable of such good and intelligence and freedom as i would like to think men are... i would love to let my creation learn for himself that he has that capacity to be God-like and be part of the process of creation and maintenance. to exercise his dominance over all creation in a benevolent way, since he is the greatest of my creations. my penultimate invention should be able to do the good i have designed him to be in my image to know what it means and feels to be able to do good. i would want man to experience such joy in his capacity and NOT baby him and take strip away any that experience from him.

like any good father would want the best for their kid right?

At least, my father has always been there to support me, to help me in times of trouble.

also, going back to the imagery of the child... even if this child dies, its not about simply having life that makes this childs life worth living. it is not the the having breath or being able to live. but rather doing what you have with whatever bit of life youre blessed with. even in the face of misery, it is how dignified one lives his life inspite of the situations that make one more human. if this kid dies, that is a sad fate yes because of poverty and misery. he could have had the potential for more. but if he lived his life beyond the limitations caused to him by society, that he did not cause misery to others by going on a rampage killing other people just to get their property and goods and idiotic traditions like what he brethren are doing to keep himself alive at the cost of another persons life, well then i still will believe that there is a God who is able to bring out such good out of the evils of peoples causing.

think about it, this child NEED NOT SUFFER like that and even when he is suffering, beyond that evil he can LIVE a dignified life, where does that strength come from? yeah it comes from himself, but there must be something more than the human condition that makes him excel, there must be that blessing that gives him that extra strength to not succumb to the desperation others have caused him through war and strife.

So, KUNG nabuhay ang bata ng naaayon sa utos/kagustuhan ng diyos nya, ok lang na mangyari sa kanya ang ganung kalagayan? Tama lang na mangyari sa kanya yon?

Hindi ba kayang maging mabuti ng tao kung wala ang konsepto ng diyos?

so why does she suffer?

there is war in africa. for what? tradition. cant we change that tradition? we have the concept of eye for an eye, or even the basic human tenet of selfishness. africa is a great rich nation, yet why are they so poor? is it because of God? or is it because of human greed?

Your bible said:

And if [any] mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, (Exo 21:23 KJV)

Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, (Exo 21:24 KJV)

Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. (Exo 21:25 KJV)

and not just in africa, this was just one example given the picture of suffering. it is everywhere. and geez to blame God for not intervening and base His existence on a seeming absence is simply selfish of anyone to consider.

Oops, did I blame god? How can I blame someone or something that doesn’t exist?

"If abuses are destroyed, man must destroy them. If slaves are freed, man must free them. If new truths are discovered, man must discover them. If the naked are clothed; if the hungry are fed; if justice is done; if labor is rewarded; if superstition is driven from the mind; if the defenseless are protected and if the right finally triumphs, all must be the work of man. The grand victories of the future must be won by man, and by man alone."

“Since the order of the world is shaped by death, mightn't it be better for god if we refuse to believe in him, and struggle with all our might against death without raising our eyes towards the heaven where he sits in silence?”

Can I butt in for a sec and just say that I second the opinion that God is a figment of man's lucative imagination. God was created by man's need to believe in something more than himself. Most of the less fortunate NEED to believe that a higher power is eventually going to save them, BUT in reality, it is ultimately man that is going to save himself. He may think that he is being urged on by some higher power but in-fact, it would be ultimately through evolution that this would be possible. Evolution that improves us and brings our moral compasses to bear and make us realize what our ultimate goals will be in the future.

My take on this is that man was a backwards race a couple of thousands years back, but then we evolved into something far more advanced. Evolution doesn't necessarily have to be through physical features. 3000 years ago man was using about 7% of his brain. Now, its up to 10 or 11%. Imagine what another one percent can do? We may have to wait another hunder or so years for that to happen, but still it will. Where is God in all this? Some might say He's the driving force of evolution, but I believe that Man himself is the driving force and will himself to survive.

tindi ng usapan dito. kanya kanyang paniniwala lang yan. kung my sinabi ba ang isa dito mangyayari bang macoconvert yong isa na maging ganito or ganyan!?!?!? ang masasabi ko lang bilib ako sa mga taong naninindigan sa paniniwala nila ! ako i believe in god.... i also believe in man, i also believe there is good and evil. sufferings, injustice and also good things happen everywhere .for the non believers puwedeng sabihin na tao my kasalanan neto , for the believers naman pwdng will of god ? pero para sa akin lang things happen, s@%t happens..and sometimes or most of the time we really cant do anything about it. ano ba magagawa natin kung my giyera sa aprika, e yong mga narirape nga sa tabi tabi lang dito sa pinas wala tayong nagagawa. yong my matandang tumatawid sa kalye bihira na lang yong taong tumutulong sa pagtawid.

it is also pointless to prove if god exists or not .i believe he exists, yong iba naman di naniniwala. ok lang yon. para sa akin pareho lang yon na sinasabi mo na totoo ba ang love = totoo ba si god? you cant see love but you feel it. from a scientific point of view naman di kaya yong love ay chemical reaction lang? humans react to certain stimulus that we encounter everyday. and we fall in love because we are stimulated. if so wala tayo pinagkaiba sa mga hayop sa paligid natin. only thing is we have a far more complex brain.. we cant use science to prove god doesnt exist. or use it to prove he is there.

hindi rin lahat ng nasa bible ay papaniwalaan na agad. it was written at a time na wala pang internet , wala pang nuclear bomb. ang hirap non kung maniniwala tayo as is sa bible. isang pindot lang ubos kaagad ang isang bansa. yan ang daan para maging fanatic or suicide bomber .believing in everything as is, without questioning it if its right or wrong.

hehehehe.just taking a break from what im doing kaya eto mejo haba tinyp.. anyway anu man paniniwala natin sa mundo stick to it pag di mo na kaya panindigan pwd rin lumipat basta pakabait lang parati. and wag maging plastik , magpakatotoo and face your fears . madalas we believe in something because of certain issues that we have within ourselves, puwedeng mali pero paniniwala ko lang. good day and tc everyone.

Guys, let me put it this way. If i'm going to put myself in an atheist shoes, i'll ask these questions:

When does it all started? Where did all things came from? Is there a beginning? And if yes, Who created us? It is right to infer that Whoever created us deserve our respect, whatever form he might appeared. There is no arguing that Whoever created us is a very intelligent and powerful entity indeed.

Now, if there is a beginning, is it logical to assume that there is an end to all these things? And because Whoever created us owned his creations, is it also logical to say that he can take away all these things?

How can I even say that there is no God when I myself can not prove that there's no beginning of all things?

its Bible vs. Science daw...

Bible = Hinati ang dagat

Science = Pwede o Hindi?

May napanood ako sa Discovery Channel, na kung possibility lang daw, e PWEDE iyan.

Isama mo pa yung tatlong mama na in-oven, pero di nalapnos man lang, PWEDE rin daw sabi ni DC.

Bible vs. Science daw....hindi Theist vs. Atheist (or others).

its Bible vs. Science daw...

Bible = Hinati ang dagat

Science = Pwede o Hindi?

May napanood ako sa Discovery Channel, na kung possibility lang daw, e PWEDE iyan.

Isama mo pa yung tatlong mama na in-oven, pero di nalapnos man lang, PWEDE rin daw sabi ni DC.

Bible vs. Science daw....hindi Theist vs. Atheist (or others).

You do have a point, but i have to argue that Bible preaches about God, so essentially, it is Theist against the World. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guys, let me put it this way. If i'm going to put myself in an atheist shoes, i'll ask these questions:

When does it all started? Where did all things came from? Is there a beginning? And if yes, Who created us? It is right to infer that Whoever created us deserve our respect, whatever form he might appeared. There is no arguing that Whoever created us is a very intelligent and powerful entity indeed.

Now, if there is a beginning, is it logical to assume that there is an end to all these things? And because Whoever created us owned his creations, is it also logical to say that he can take away all these things?

How can I even say that there is no God when I myself can not prove that there's no beginning of all things?

So if there is a beginning for all things, there's a god?

in the same way just because there is man made misery there is no God to help that poor third world country kid you posted.

"..man made misery..", and since man made the misery, it is man alone that can do something for that misery, man alone, cause there is no god, he/she/they/it doesn't exist.

On the contrary, it does prove that whoever created us is really a smart one. Somehow, he designed us creatures to THINK FOR OURSELVES. The creator put us inside a chaotic system where mankind are kings. He commanded people to flourish the whole world and be accountable for whatever happen to it. Now is it fair, you ask? Of course IT IS!

Unfortunately, man misused and abused this gift by trying to think like his Creator, blinding their own eyes that they can also be all knowing or surpassed that of the creator.

Remember, in the Bible, He tried to wipe out mankind.....(Read The Great Flood in Genesis)....

Are there anything more brutal than that? But wait...

Also remember that He's the one who commanded Noah to built the large ark in order for his family to survive the deluge.

The bottom line is this.

Misery happens because people have a propensity to forget who they've came from.

Somehow, that Creator made a fair deal with us mankind. He designed us to do either believe in Him or not. He commanded us to believe Him and He shall bring you just reward. Do not believe Him and you shall suffer the consequences.

It's your choice.

On the contrary, it does prove that whoever created us is really a smart one. Somehow, he designed us creatures to THINK FOR OURSELVES. The creator put us inside a chaotic system where mankind are kings. He commanded people to flourish the whole world and be accountable for whatever happen to it. Now is it fair, you ask? Of course IT IS!

Unfortunately, man misused and abused this gift by trying to think like his Creator, blinding their own eyes that they can also be all knowing or surpassed that of the creator.

Remember, in the Bible, He tried to wipe out mankind.....(Read The Great Flood in Genesis)....

Are there anything more brutal than that? But wait...

Also remember that He's the one who commanded Noah to built the large ark in order for his family to survive the deluge.

The bottom line is this.

Misery happens because people have a propensity to forget who they've came from.

Somehow, that Creator made a fair deal with us mankind. He designed us to do either believe in Him or not. He commanded us to believe Him and He shall bring you just reward. Do not believe Him and you shall suffer the consequences.

It's your choice.

Can you prove the existence of your god?

can you prove the existence of atoms and other scientific crap without taking the word of scientists? i mean seriously you yourself try to prove its existence.

simply even if something isnt there or appears to be unprovable through absence does not mean non existience. heck i havent ever met you save for the fact youre a blip posting in manilatonight. heck i can say you dont really exist and is merely an autoreply script.

oh as to the man made misery... go solve it then with all you manly powers. as for me, i do not rely on god to passively solve problems which weve created. i try to do my best to solve it but ask for the grace and guidance to not let the horrors of man get to me and strip me away of my hope and precisely that... inspire in me my capacity as man to do something about that kid.

what do you do? post in manilatonight and bark at God's seeming absence from our world and marvel at the superiority of people over all of creation? arrogance.

and to answer your question, who do i prove the existence of God? well i say He exists for me. try disproving my own decision.

Edited by poppinfresh2k5
can you prove the existence of atoms and other scientific crap without taking the word of scientists? i mean seriously you yourself try to prove its existence.

di na kailangan, scientists have provided enough evidence for their existence. pero ung god nyo? he/she/it/they exist only in your imagination.

simply even if something isnt there or appears to be unprovable through absence does not mean non existience. heck i havent ever met you save for the fact youre a blip posting in manilatonight. heck i can say you dont really exist and is merely an autoreply script.

if you are to use your imagination the way you use it in believing in your god, posible ngang hindi ako nag-i-exist. Kaso, sa imahinasyon mo lang po.

oh as to the man made misery... go solve it then with all you manly powers. as for me, i do not rely on god to passively solve problems which weve created. i try to do my best to solve it but ask for the grace and guidance to not let the horrors of man get to me and strip me away of my hope and precisely that... inspire in me my capacity as man to do something about that kid.

hehe, so wala ngang ibang tutulong sa bata kundi tao rin, at tao lang, wala nang iba, kasi walang diyos.

what do you do? post in manilatonight and bark at God's seeming absence from our world and marvel at the superiority of people over all of creation? arrogance.

hindi po arrogance. katotohanan.

and to answer your question, who do i prove the existence of God? well i say He exists for me. try disproving my own decision.

imahinasyon nyo lang po yan. :thumbsupsmiley:

kung totoo ang isang bagay kahit na walang patunay na ang bagay na ito'y totoo, so wala nang hindi totoo, lahat na lang totoo.

mabuhay ang imahinasyon. :thumbsupsmiley:

Baligtarin natin logic mo....

"Kung hindi totoo and isang bagay kahit na may patunay na ang bagay ay totoo, so wala nang totoo, lahat na lang hindi totoo?"

Huh?

Did you know that Jesus did know that there will come a time when people like yourself will not believe in Him.

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

- John 20:29

I know that you and your atheists friends will laugh at this verse cause it sounds contrary to your way of thinking of "seeing is believing". Many people who've read this verse thought this man is crazy. Or is he?

You've asked, "Can you prove the existence of your god?"

The answer is simple.

Look around you. The swaying trees. Those flying birds. That blue sky. Those towering mountains. Those majestic valleys. The air you breathe. The water you've just drank. The food you've consumed.

Can't you determine the existence of God?