Bible Versus Science

:blink: I would like to see a discussion of science and the Bible.

Biblicists defend the Bible claiming it's the word of God and inerrant. The Bible's description of certain events on earth, the description of the earth and cosmos show that the authors were very ignorant of science and the structure of our universe.

Some of the things I would like to see discussed, but not held strictly to, are;

Noah's Flood: a myth much like the myths of King Arthur and Robin Hood.

The shape of the earth: the Bible says it's flat. I disagree. The world is not flat. How can anyone believe the Bible is the word of God if he can't get the shape of the world correct?

The sun standing still for 24 hours.

"Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel: Sun, stand still over Gibeon; and Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon. So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the people had revenge upon their enemies. Is this not written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hastened to go down for about a whole day. And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded a voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel

(Joshua 10:12-14).

How is this possible? Some Biblicist, at one time, claimed that NASA found the "missing day" that proved the Bible was correct. This has subsequently been shown to be a fraud created by certain Biblicist in an effort to prove the inerrancy of the Bible.

The geocentric universe.

The are numerous passages in the Bible that picture the earth to be the immobile center of the universe. This is another very serious error telling us that God could not possibly be the author of the Bible.

If there are other issues of science vs. Bible I have not mentioned feel free to bring them up. A few things off the top of my head;

Stars

Virgin birth

Full body resurrection

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
para mong pinaghalo and langis sa tubig

not exactly sir... Bible is a word of God... It speaks the truth.... Science is a body of knowledge based on facts and truth....

Bible tells us what happend, Science tells us how it happened based on evidences. I don't see and think that they are on different sides of the boat.

bible versus science

the bible has told of the Ancient city of Sodom and Gamorrah, these two city has been discovered jus recently by archaelogist at the exact location of the description in the bible, pati yung cave na tinaguan ni Lot andun din

so this is 1 point i gues for the side of the bible, Bible 1 - Science 0

whose next?

If I believe more in Science then the more I believe in God... and once you get to know this truth, you'll see how they go together...

bible versus science

the bible has told of the Ancient city of Sodom and Gamorrah, these two city has been discovered jus recently by archaelogist at the exact location of the description in the bible, pati yung cave na tinaguan ni Lot andun din

so this is 1 point i gues for the side of the bible, Bible 1 - Science 0

whose next?

Biblicists defend the Bible claiming it's the word of God and inerrant. The Bible's description of certain events on earth, the description of the earth and cosmos show that the authors were very ignorant of science and the structure of our universe.

Some of the things I would like to see discussed, but not held strictly to, are;

The shape of the earth: the Bible says it's flat. I disagree. The world is not flat. How can anyone believe the Bible is the word of God if he can't get the shape of the world correct?

"Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel: Sun, stand still over Gibeon; and Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon. So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the people had revenge upon their enemies. Is this not written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hastened to go down for about a whole day. And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded a voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel

How is this possible? Some Biblicist, at one time, claimed that NASA found the "missing day" that proved the Bible was correct. This has subsequently been shown to be a fraud created by certain Biblicist in an effort to prove the inerrancy of the Bible.

The geocentric universe.

The are numerous passages in the Bible that picture the earth to be the immobile center of the universe. This is another very serious error telling us that God could not possibly be the author of the Bible.

If there are other issues of science vs. Bible I have not mentioned feel free to bring them up. A few things off the top of my head;

Stars

Virgin birth

Full body resurrection

SCEPTICS!!!!!!!! THIS IS FOR YOU....A LOVING MSGE FOR THOSE WHO ARE LOST.....

Then you are more likely to believe the prophecies of Nostradamus than of God? OR THE D'VINCI CODE?....Read the Bible b4 you criticize....Have you? then this is for you....

the shape of the earth....

the rest of the world believed the earth was flat, Isaiah declared that the world was round....

ISAIAH 4:22(READ UR BIBLE!!!) "It is He who sat above the circle of the earth"....hebrew word there for circle ('chuwg') can also be trnslated "spehere". when did Isaiah write these words? between 740 and 680 BC. That was at least 300 yrs b4 Aristotole sggested, in his book (On the heavens), that the earth might be a sphere.

Other verses, Proverbs 8:27 and job 26:10 more than 2000 yrs later some pipol stil blvd that Christopher Colombus (1451-1506) was going to sail off the edge of a flat planet in 1492 AD!

The Noah's flood.

Do u blve in fossils? actualy science say that fossils are remains of ancient creatures and animals existed long tym ago, that is embedded on sediments. what are those? those are layers of mud, sand, and small pces of rocks. and what are some of the cause of those sediments to embed those ancient remains of organisms? the flood...that flood wiped out them all, and ofcrse there are currents to put this sediments together to cover those creatures and organisms. does it make sense? this is one of many evidences to prove that the flood really took place....(Science and the Bible" @marshill.org)

The dinasaurs...

The bible had an account of the existince of these creatures.. Job 40:15..."Look now at the behemoth which i made along with you. He eats grass like an ox".....continue reading it to verse 16-24, u'l see definitely it is a dinosaur.....

Joshua's account of the sun...

Its an irony people for you to udrstand, dont you think that authors of the bible are poetic?..you must be a fan of Shakespeare, then you'l undrstnd wt i am saying....

The Bible and the earth

Before Isaac Newton discovered gravity, Hindus blvd that th earth rested on the bck of the turtle. Greeks blvd mythical god Atlas carried the earth on his shlders. But Job, the author of one of the oldest books of the Bible, went against the philosophy and science of the day and proclaimed more than 4,000 yrs ago that which has only been scientfcally provable since the advent of satellite and rocket technology in the 20th century, and that is:the earth on nothing

JOB 26:7.."He (that is God) hangs the earth on nothing."

The bible and the Universe

Greek astronomer and mathematician Hipparchus(190-120BC) said there were exctly 1,026 stars. German astronomer, Johaness Kepler (1571-1630), counted 1,006. The whole thought of the stars being uncountable was contrary to modern science until the invention of the telescope. When Galileo first pointed his telescope to the heavens n 1608, we dscovered der wer a lot mor stars thn anybody hd ever imgined, jst as Jeremiah had said....

JEREMIAH 33:22 "..the host of heaven (a reference to the stars) cannot be nmberd, nor the sand of the sea measured...."

wer they taking lucky guess? i dont think so. Their flawless accuracy rules that out. The Bible says:

2 Peter 1:21 that...holy men of God spoke as they wer moved by the Holy Spirit." God who knws all there is to knw abwt the universe He created, superintended the writing of the Bible to make sure that He wnted written, was written.....many more has the Bible had to say, for you....wake up from being blinded of this world and know the existince of God..

READ HIS WORD, HE HAS SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU. HEAR HIM BEFORE ITS TRUE LATE FOR YOU TO KNW THE TRUTH. HE LIVES FOR YOU FOR HE LOVES YOU. HE GAVE HIS LIFE FOR YOU. TIME FOR YOU TO TURN TO HIM.....HE IS WAITING FOR YOU OPEN ARMS........

the shape of the earth....

the rest of the world believed the earth was flat, Isaiah declared that the world was round....

ISAIAH 4:22(READ UR BIBLE!!!) "It is He who sat above the circle of the earth"....hebrew word there for circle ('chuwg') can also be trnslated "spehere". when did Isaiah write these words? between 740 and 680 BC. That was at least 300 yrs b4 Aristotole sggested, in his book (On the heavens), that the earth might be a sphere.

Other verses, Proverbs 8:27 and job 26:10 more than 2000 yrs later some pipol stil blvd that Christopher Colombus (1451-1506) was going to sail off the edge of a flat planet in 1492 AD!

If this was in the bible why did the church made such a big deal when someone suggested that the earth may be round or shperical?

I am not that religious nor that smart but i think it would be just right for me to fully know and understand things before i fully believe in them. Just my 2 cents

This Bible should not be read, understood or be taken into an objective light... if one will do so, you will miss what it will tell you... the Bible is more than just wonderful stories... it is a sacred romance of all the things in this world... True, you can't expect the creation, the flood and all other events really happened but these events would tell you the very nature of man... For example, the creation account tells you a hundred stories, a hundred insights on the very nature of man... I tell you this because I myself, everyday have experienced the unmissable existence of God in my life... I used to be proud telling comments like these below but ... to make things short... seek God, seek Him, question him if necessary. Give all your strength to find Him and you'll be surprised when He reveals yourself to you... and what I'm saying is true. Just believe.

The geocentric universe.

Stars

Virgin birth

Full body resurrection

Bible... word of God... If we talk about bible we are talking about God Himself... Bible tells us how things started.... it started when God created the universe and evrything on and in it. Man (homo sapien) one of the most beautiful thing that God created now debates on Bible and Science.... Again hindi po sila magkasalungat kasi its the what and how. Bible tells us what happen and science tells us how it happened. For instance..... ng ginawa ni God ang mga bagay bagy hindi naman Nya ginawa ito ng hindi pinag isipan. Evrything tht God created (which is stated in the bible) is based on science.....

1.)Ang tao..... bakit tayo humihinga????...... to live.... as stated in the Bible na gumaw ang Diyos ng kawangis Nya at itoy hiningahan nya para mabuhay......but if we look at science at micrscopic level its an exchange of gas for body metabolism and function for us to live!!!! HINDI PO SILA MAGKASALUNGAT O MAGKAAWAY

2.) God created Earth and the sky..... night and Day........ bakit nag eexist ng gabi at ang araw???? it because earth rotates on its axis as it revolves around the sun kaya meron night and Day!!! HINDI POSILA MAGKASALUNGAT O MAGKAAWAY

3.) Ever wonder how complex it is pag nabuntis ang babae or how life starts in the womb of every woman? pano nangyari iyon? ano mga development during those nine precious months at nagkasya iyon sa tyan ng isang babae? That's how beautiful the work of God.... and how beautiful science is for it to explain the details for us to understand....

These three things are the most common and simple things that each and every one can follow. Try to stop and think it over mga kapatid.

SCEPTICS!!!!!!!! THIS IS FOR YOU....A LOVING MSGE FOR THOSE WHO ARE LOST.....

READ HIS WORD, HE HAS SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU. HEAR HIM BEFORE ITS TRUE LATE FOR YOU TO KNW THE TRUTH. HE LIVES FOR YOU FOR HE LOVES YOU. HE GAVE HIS LIFE FOR YOU. TIME FOR YOU TO TURN TO HIM.....HE IS WAITING FOR YOU OPEN ARMS........

Now, this is Funny.

What club do you perform, btw? Do you plan to unseat Rex Navarette?

The Bible is not meant to be a book of science. The people who wrote the Bible has no inkling on genetics, nuclear energy, the internet, stem cell research, cloning, quantum physics, relativity, black holes, astrophysics, internet, etc.

As a source of historical facts, the Bible will remain a dubious source.

I believe that the Bible is more of a moral/spiritual compass. Whether or not the Bible succeeds in this is still a subject of debate.

Guest wackeen

the problem with this thread is the 'versus' part.

but i think the question we might want to tackle is:

did the events described in the bible really occur as they are stated (as opposed to it not having happened at all, or not in that way meaning there was embellishment, exaggeration or poetic license)? further, can these be proven, corroborated, or refuted using scientific methods?

or another way to put it: can a Christian look to logic to reinforce his faith?

I'm a christian about to do engineeing. There are tough times where i should put myself into either the bible or the pure logical science. Since we don;t know everything, i don't think we should rely everything on science cos it's everything what we have seen and expeirienced physcally til now, however i think people can go blind when taking the bible too literally.

• 2 weeks later...