A Song of Ice & Fire Series

book 3 was by far the best book imo ... wyld got it right .. kings become kings bec of the people around them ... joff became king bec of his mom and her family .. robb bec of his legacy and name .. stannis bec of melisandre .. none of them actively decided to be king .. renly wouldve been the only active king seeker

daenerys is ok but i find her POVs hohum .. jon is ok .. but he gets better .. tyrion is good all through out ... arya makes you want top pull for her ... sansa and bran for all their annoying traits are interesting characters i think these two will come out of all this saga in the best position to succeed

I know what the author's done with the onion knight. In the same manner that the king of the north is always seen from the pov of his mother. I just dont like it.

I'm into book 3 and so far I am not overwhelmed. It's not a bad series but for some reason it's just not clicking for me. I'm planning on finishing the series anyways and see how it goes.

So far, the characters that are working for me are Daenerys, Jon, and Arya. I feel there will be more to come from these 3. Tyrion's character to me is by far the most enjoyable to read. Sansa and Bran can die now and I wouldnt miss their stories.

I think book 3 will turn you on the way book 4 will turn you a bit off to the series, agreed that Sansa's POV is boring but for me Bran is the most bad-ass character in the long run

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

finished reading book 4. after a very good book 3, book 4 left me very disappointed. i felt the book had no direction. it was basically cersei against everybody, kingsguard and fatboy getting laid, the wench's unfruitful journey...

it seemed the author just wrote something for the heck of it...

• 3 months later...

it pains me to say i came so unfashionably late to a game of thrones. what finally compelled me to begin the sojourn into the series was the social 'otherness' brought on by not having anything of note to contribute to conversations on the lannisters or the starks except to exclaim how uh-mazing peter dinklage is. that and the fact that the third hbo series won't be here for another seven months. mein got. do the producers know what agony that precipitates

• Like (+1) 1

it pains me to say i came so unfashionably late to a game of thrones. what finally compelled me to begin the sojourn into the series was the social 'otherness' brought on by not having anything of note to contribute to conversations on the lannisters or the starks except to exclaim how uh-mazing peter dinklage is. that and the fact that the third hbo series won't be here for another seven months. mein got. do the producers know what agony that precipitates

do they? ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I started reading the series around 2003 because Robert Jordan was a bit slow getting his books out and I was getting bored with the Sword of Truth series. Actually bought a second hand "A Game of Thrones" novel from amazon coz I wasnt too sure back then and only got it coz it was on the reco list alongside WOT. Needless to say I have been buying the books in hard cover (pre-order) ever since. I even had the Nightwatch pledge as my sig (abbreviated coz there was a limit) goes "I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come." Was a bit put off at first because characters were dying left and right but afterwards it endeared itself to me because you got to care more for your faves as you don't know whether they will be the next one to go. I'm glad Tyrion is still kicking ass (and being a wise ass) and have become to root for the kingslayer and the stormborn. Cant wait for her to cross the seas with her dragons. I suggest you lot also read "The Hedge Knight". very good read plus it'll give you a glimpse of the back story of other characters, including Arstan Wyld.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Littlefinger said in Episode 5, Game of Thrones 3 (The Climb):

“Do you know what the realm is? [A] story we agree to tell each other over and over until we forget that it’s a lie.... Chaos isn’t a pit. It’s a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, never get to try again. The fall breaks them... And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.”

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this is still okay to read even after you've seen the TV show.

Yes, it is. The current season has already diverged from the books.

It is a totally different animal now.

And we should treat the books and TV series differently. Like two stories inspired by the same myth.

• 1 year later...