Supplements - to Take or Not to Take?

question lang po: ung bang 4g na protein content per serving ng mumurahing protein powder is the same effect dun sa mamahalin na brand na protein powder kung 4g protein content per serving din sya?

r u sure na 4g of protein lang un?...that seems to be toooo low...what brand is that?...just curious...

question di ba if your fat ok lang mag take ng whey protein? nakakatulong din naman tpo diba? please enlighten me naman

What is your purpose of taking whey? You must undrestand what you are taking in before anything else. Apart from that, get your training and eating plan in check before taking in any supplements

Question Ulit. :D medyo addict na ako sa supplements e. :D

Bumili ako ng Creatine na powder. Kailan ko siya dapat inumin? pano rin ba?

Bale ito na plano kong gawin kung tama.

Creatine (powder form) mga 2 servings. iinumin ko siya ng ganun before workout then inom ng water para ma-flush sa bibig ko. hehehe. :D

After workout yung whey ko with milk.

Ano rin ba magagawa ng creatine sa akin?

Salamat!

Wala na rin pala akong proteinbar.

Thanks!

Question Ulit. :D medyo addict na ako sa supplements e. :D

Bumili ako ng Creatine na powder. Kailan ko siya dapat inumin? pano rin ba?

Bale ito na plano kong gawin kung tama.

Creatine (powder form) mga 2 servings. iinumin ko siya ng ganun before workout then inom ng water para ma-flush sa bibig ko. hehehe. :D

After workout yung whey ko with milk.

Ano rin ba magagawa ng creatine sa akin?

Salamat!

Wala na rin pala akong proteinbar.

Thanks!

bro,

mix it first with water or juice then drink it...don't take it any other way...if u drink it that way, it might be too potent for your system...

Medyo naguguluhan na ako sa pag take ng creatine! :(

Bodybuilder #1- sabi nya take ko 10grams ng creatine before workout. Kainin ko daw yun ng in powder form then drink water to clean mouth. After workout naman yung Whey w/ milk.

Source #1- Sabi naman nya after workout daw inom ako 5 grams creatine dissolved in water then pag bumaba na whey naman. before matulog another 5 grams.

Bodybuilder #2- Inom daw ako 5 grams creatine everyday. Pag mag workout ako 30 mins after daw and pwede ihalo sa whey ko.

Ano ba talaga??? :(

Medyo naguguluhan na ako sa pag take ng creatine! :(

Bodybuilder #1- sabi nya take ko 10grams ng creatine before workout. Kainin ko daw yun ng in powder form then drink water to clean mouth. After workout naman yung Whey w/ milk.

Source #1- Sabi naman nya after workout daw inom ako 5 grams creatine dissolved in water then pag bumaba na whey naman. before matulog another 5 grams.

Bodybuilder #2- Inom daw ako 5 grams creatine everyday. Pag mag workout ako 30 mins after daw and pwede ihalo sa whey ko.

Ano ba talaga??? :(

If you are eating a lot of bef, you won't need to take creatine since beef contains creatine.

Sabi ko nga sa iyo focus on eating properly first.

Mr. Turbo ano po bang style ng program mo? I mean wat is you target? Power? Endurance? Mass? Stamina

If you would go for power you should drink creatine 5g w/ water 30min before the power work out.

If you would go for Endurance stamina etc. You would not need creatine. In our body creatine is only used for exercise that would last for about 10 sec. Yung mga biglaan po.

I suggest that you take 5g of creatine w/ water or juice 30 min before resistance workout on workout days only. Excess creatine on you body would cause water retention. You would look big but your gains would be soft(malambot). Sa tagalog parang minamanas ka. Also too much creatine specialy when unused might damage you kidney. The safe amount of creatine is 5-10g per day. But since Pinoy ka, take 5g per day muna.

Stamina and Mass sir. :)

its very easy to tell people to eat first especially if you are not ectomorph and dont have a very busy schedule... if you are on the top management and have an ectomorph type of body, then you have no choice talaga but to drink whey or weight gainer...

Agree!

Dude, After workout nalang and before I sleep dba? Every workout lang naman ang creatine ko e. Thanks!

Stamina and Mass sir. :)

Well if you think that supplements are going to make a difference, forget about it...at least until you get your training correct. Once your training is dialed-in and you are trying hit that 315lb raw bench press, THEN you MIGHT need supplements.

To all of the hardgainers out there, I have natures perfect "supplement" to your regular eating habits: PEANUTS. Each cup of peanuts contains:

First of all, read this: http://www.peanutvan.com.au/nutrition.htm

And this: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c219k.html

You'll see that each cup contains about 850 calories in QUALITY form of PLANT fat (not animal), a solid 35 GRAMS of protein, and tons of fiber to ensure you DON'T GET CONSTIPATED from those crappy weight gainers.

Peanuts are the ULTIMATE weight gainer, and I've added 20lbs of RAW muscle to a number of hardgainers using peanuts as their primary supplement. If you don't add ton of quality bodyweight AND lift a TON of weights after 6 weeks of peanuts plus a 5x5 program, then I'll quit this industry and take up raising pigeons with Mike Tyson :P

The best part? 1lb of peanuts is about Php64 at Shopwise. :cool: Save your money for a GOOD gym instead.

Edited by Eclipseguy
its very easy to tell people to eat first especially if you are not ectomorph and dont have a very busy schedule... if you are on the top management and have an ectomorph type of body, then you have no choice talaga but to drink whey or weight gainer...

I was your poster boy ectomorph at 120 lbs at 5'6 before I picked up my first weight. i juggle two jobs and have managed to build my physique to a respectable size. Again, it all boils down to proper management of time and resources.

i guess people who are posting here are not stupid enough to check their diet, rest, and training first before considering supplements...

then again, different strokes for different folks...

Stupid enough?

Take it from me. I was stupid once. I spent probably $3000 on supplements in hopes of getting past 145lbs lean (starting at 115lbs at 5'10"). That was 10 years ago, after 6 years of stupidity, supplements, and all of the wasted $$.

Now I stand at 185lbs with less than 9% bodyfat. I'll see my 8 pack at 180lbs. These last 35lbs of raw muscle I achieved with REAL food and PROPER training.

I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but I'm living proof that one does not need supplements to look "like" me.

Again, these individuals clearly need a solid training program. Supplements are only for those whose diet is lacking. Furthermore after a degree in biochemistry and practical application/experience, I've learned that 80grams of protein per day is MORE than enough for someone even of my size. In fact, the biggest guys in my gym eat 80-100 grams of NORMAL food protein per day aka the RDA.

Don't believe the protein conspiracy. It's all about selling supplements and making money.

Ignorance is fixable, stupidity is terminal...and that goes for who you choose to believe. Those who look at me and those I've trained for 6 months or longer ALWAYS take my side.

Well if you think that supplements are going to make a difference, forget about it...at least until you get your training correct. Once your training is dialed-in and you are trying hit that 315lb raw bench press, THEN you MIGHT need supplements.

To all of the hardgainers out there, I have natures perfect "supplement" to your regular eating habits: PEANUTS. Each cup of peanuts contains:

First of all, read this: http://www.peanutvan.com.au/nutrition.htm

And this: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c219k.html

You'll see that each cup contains about 850 calories in QUALITY form of PLANT fat (not animal), a solid 35 GRAMS of protein, and tons of fiber to ensure you DON'T GET CONSTIPATED from those crappy weight gainers.

Peanuts are the ULTIMATE weight gainer, and I've added 20lbs of RAW muscle to a number of hardgainers using peanuts as their primary supplement. If you don't add ton of quality bodyweight AND lift a TON of weights after 6 weeks of peanuts plus a 5x5 program, then I'll quit this industry and take up raising pigeons with Mike Tyson :P

The best part? 1lb of peanuts is about Php64 at Shopwise. :cool: Save your money for a GOOD gym instead.

nice tip!! thanks man!! i didnt realize that until i read your post. very helpful!

Stupid enough?

Take it from me. I was stupid once. I spent probably $3000 on supplements in hopes of getting past 145lbs lean (starting at 115lbs at 5'10"). That was 10 years ago, after 6 years of stupidity, supplements, and all of the wasted $$.

Now I stand at 185lbs with less than 9% bodyfat. I'll see my 8 pack at 180lbs. These last 35lbs of raw muscle I achieved with REAL food and PROPER training.

I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but I'm living proof that one does not need supplements to look "like" me.

Again, these individuals clearly need a solid training program. Supplements are only for those whose diet is lacking. Furthermore after a degree in biochemistry and practical application/experience, I've learned that 80grams of protein per day is MORE than enough for someone even of my size. In fact, the biggest guys in my gym eat 80-100 grams of NORMAL food protein per day aka the RDA.

Don't believe the protein conspiracy. It's all about selling supplements and making money.

Ignorance is fixable, stupidity is terminal...and that goes for who you choose to believe. Those who look at me and those I've trained for 6 months or longer ALWAYS take my side.

'dre, not all supplements are evil...u said it urself, supps are for those who can't eat enough GOOD REAL FOOD. agree that in the best of all the possible worlds, u go for real food - all-natural. but then again, there are times when u'r too lazy to cook, too busy to go to the grocery store, buy stuff, cook 'em, and then eat 'em. what's the next best thing then? u take in some supplements.

yeah yeah, u'll then preach discipline, dedication, blah blah...all ideals. sad to say, reality's not that sweet and easy to most guys. should i then abandon my aim to look good 'coz i can't cook and eat real food?? or got no sweet mullah to pay someone to go prepare meal plans and monitor my calories? should i devote 2 hrs of my time surfing the net looking for free "good food guides"? u'r blessed to be in a situation where ur passion and biz goals meet. u both enjoy the benefits of watching ur diet and working out and then earning from it as well...

but not all guys are like u. it's plain narrow-mindedness to shoot down all the guys who'd be preaching abt how supplements worked for them. u don't personally know their stories...and for those u know, u've practically decided to dismiss their claims rather than objectively dissect their motivations for and the results of their supplementation.

the key to supplementation is choosing which are safe and really beneficial. companies don't just manufacture placebos all the time. true, they might throw in some marketing gimmicks but don't be too arrogant to sweepingly dismiss the R&D behind these substances...perhaps, if u'r too eager to preach that supplements are practically worthless placebos, then u might want to start substantiating those claims...by statistical facts rather than stylized facts based on one case, w/c is sadly your case or a collection of stories from ur disciples. mind u, m not saying m for supplementation per se. no. but m not gonna dismiss their claims as baseless and conclude that they're all worthless.

take a simple example of whey protein. a scoop would cost me 35 Php...that's 25 g protein. i could opt to eat a lean steak in exchange for that. how big? well, there's 7 g protein in 1 ounce...to beat a scoop of whey, i'd have to eat 4 ounces of beef. how much would that cost me? definitely not 35 Php. ok, u'd probably say, forget the beef and take in egg whites...5g protein per egg. i'd need abt 5 eggs then. how much? at 5 php /egg, that's 25 php. but then again, how many times in a week can i take in eggs without puking??? why is it that whey protein comes in delicious flavors??? simple enough...it's bec. it makes it a lot easier to consume. m out to build a good body without dulling my taste buds. so from time to time, i take in supplements.

in the end, supps are case-to-case basis. if u can't normally take in real food to meet the RDA, then take supps...ur choice. our choice.

Nothing wrong with supplements, the problem is that peole always cling to them and believe that without them, gains are not possible or when they have them, forget to eat properly.

Again, focus on trying to get your eating patterns fixed and train properly. Only when you are making really good gains and eating well can you decide if you still need supplements.

Nothing wrong with supplements, the problem is that peole always cling to them and believe that without them, gains are not possible or when they have them, forget to eat properly.

agree. i think van wilder put it well when he mentioned that not all people who take supps are plain stupid for thinking that supplements can take the place of real healthy all-natural food. besides, it's not pure coincidence that the popularity of "organically-grown" crops and livestock with the uptrend in fitness consciousness of people. i bet that most people who take in supps have ventured their ways into eating these "organic" stuffs as well.

Again, focus on trying to get your eating patterns fixed and train properly. Only when you are making really good gains and eating well can you decide if you still need supplements.

i have a slight problem though with this...most people are precisely turning to supps 'coz they can't get their eating patterns fixed on a well-balanced diet all the time. If i am able to eat at RDA levels at 5-6 small meals a day consistently, what's the point in taking supps??? maybe u'd argue that i'd only take in supps when i want to get huge...but that's like totally neglecting the idea that my sked won't even get me to the point of getting my RDAs sometimes...should i then not workout since i have no energy left in me to stress my muscles and then recover?

u can start supplementation at any point in time. the only criterion u need is to answer the question of whether or not u can practically and sustainably have enough calories from carbs, fats, proteins, and then vits, metals, and minerals from what u eat enough to either make u grow or maintain ur gains from training.

nde ako nagttake ng kahit anong suplement, mahirap n bk meron side effect eh.............PEACE

almost all supplements are very much safe UNLESS, it's taken in excess dosage or taken irresponsibly without caution...if it was UNSAFE, U.S. FDA would have taken them off the shelves...just my two cents......PEACE