Traveling As A Passion

Guest YUM YUM

For those visiting Hong Kong, you may want to take a day to visit Shenzhen, China which is only about an hour's drive from downtown HK. You can visit Window of the World which is a theme park showing different parts of the world in miniature. Very interesting especially for those who are interested in future travels abroad.

Nearby is China Spendid Park which showcases the different parts of modern and ancient China.

There's also an old Russian aircraft carrier docked in a bay about 40 minutes drive from downtown Shenzhen. You can view vitage military aircraft, weapons, and crew quarters on board the aircraft carrier.

I enjoy road trips whenever I'm abroad. It's interesting to see the countryside, the vegetation, the farms, the locals ploughing the fields, farm animals grazing in the meadows.

One of the most memorable road trips my brothers and I did was drive from London all the way to Glasgow, Scotland. My grandmother was born in Glasgow and we tried looking for the place she once lived in before she met and married my grandfather. Fortunately, through research on the internet and correspondence with our British uncles, we were able to locate her residence.

That was way back in 1995. We also met the first cousins of my dad. They moved from Scotland are now based in London. One of them invited us to his house where lunch was prepared. He went into a room and took out a photo album. The album contained photos of my dad, his sister, his brothers and my Scottish grandmother, all taken in the Philippines even before I was born. Imagine meeting a caucasian man for the first time and he has photos of your dad, uncles and aunt. It was kind of eerie seeing those photos in the house of a complete stranger (even if he is a distant relative).

It reminded me of Alex Haley's mini-series Roots. We finally discovered where we originally came from (at least from my dad's side of the family).

I also enjoy cruising. It's so relaxing. You have dinner, socialize a bit, go to bed, and when you wake up the following morning you're in another country waiting to be explored and discovered.

Yes cruising is one of the best ways to see the world. Everything's paid for in advance. The only thing I don't like about cruising is sometimes the weather's bad and the feeling of nausea due to sea sickness can be a real problem. There was a time I stayed in my cabin the whole day because the ship kept going up and down. I skipped breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fortunately the sea calmed down the following day.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For those who are NOT so new to travelling, tight budget but adventurous at walang tiyaga kumuha ng visa, you can try Cambodia and vist Angkor Wat in Seam Reap. Dito nagshooting ang Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie. Handa lang nyo mga dollars kase un ang preferred currency nila at mas convenient din, kase kung local currency gagamitin nyo mahirap magbilang sa dami. Softdrinks lang libo na halaga sa pera nila, but that doesn't mean it's expensive. Try using the local mode of transpo (tuktuk) para makatipid na din although presyong turista ibibigay nila sayo, wala masyadong choice. Avoid nyo ung mga nagongontrata na mga taxi. Kayo na mismo dumiskarte ng mga lakad nyo at wag umasa sa mga contractors.

For beach goers wanting to try something new and exotic go to Krabi or Ko Samui. In my personal opinion masmaganda mga beaches sa Pinas pero it's still worth the visit. Kung nightlife and beach hanap nyo, I recommend Pattaya. Here you'll find bars, clubs and girls, girls, girls... Ingat nalang and be alert. Kung gusto nyo maexperience ang city life nila at mag shopping, punta naman kayo sa Bangkok.

Ok din sa Malaysia though for me karamihan ng mga places na makikita mo is cultural and religious (except siguro sa Johor Baru's Legoland), similar to Cambodia pero mas mayaman na bansa lang and Malaysia. The beaches are not too good but there are a few that stand out like Redang Island and Perhentian na puno ng mga white tourists in bikinis. Malaysia is ideal for newbie travellers because this place is really tourist friendly.

Kung may romantic side kayo (ala "eat, pray, love") try Bali Indonesia. Truly a cultural experience na hindi nyo makakalimutan. 80-90% of the residents are Hindu and somehow mababait sa mga Pinoy, so walang problema sa pagkain at inumin (may san mig lights pa!)- mura ang beer (depends din) and pork is available almost anywhere (try babi guling, the local lechon). The beaches are ok but mas mageenjoy ka if you can surf. Madaming hotels and you need not book in advance. When I went there I booked 1 night only just to be sure. Good thing kase when I walked around may nakita akong hotels na mas nagustuhan ko.

Kung may extra cash kayo and western vacation naman na hindi masyado malayo I'd say Sydney is on top of my list. Kelangan mo lang kumuha ng visa if you are using Philippine passport pero it's worth the effort. You can stay there up to 3 months with that visa and use it for 1 year. Pagipunan nyo nalang if you want to enjoy at hindi matameme sa gastos. I'd say ung 25-30k nyo pede nyo pagkasyahin sa 1 week na mabibisita nyo na ung zoo and museums and have a few drinks in some bars, good food na din at hotel na mura. Masmakakatipid kayo if you avoid hotels and stay at backpacker's hostels. Bantayan nyo nalang mga gamit nyo at wag iwan kung san san.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If you visit New Zealand, and you're in the South Island, make sure to go to Queenstown, the extreme sports capital of New Zealand. You can ride the jet boat, para sail, zip line, etc. On the way to Queenstown you may pass through and see Mount Cook, the highest mountain in New Zealand. I believe its peak is covered in snow all year round because of its very high altitude.

Also make sure to visit Milford Sound where you'll literally see hundreds if not thousands of waterfalls running off steep cliffs. Magnificent view you'll definitely never forget for as long as you live.

Best to rent a car but if you're afraid to drive on the other side of the street, you may join a tour group.

Bro, are you familiar with backpacker's job in New Zealand? If so, do you think it would be easy for a Filipino to travel and work there at the same time? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the Goals that I have set was to travel abroad at least once a year

2012 - Singapore

2013 - United States, Thailand, Cambodia

2014 - United Kingdom

2015 - (Darn, I wasn't able to because my mom got hospitalized)

2016 - Singapore, Malaysia

2017 - ???

Japan perhaps? It has been more than a decade since I last went there (when Morning Musume was the girl group and not AKB48 at the time haha)

My life rotates around food especially with their culture. I'm a chef and I've traveled in different corners of the world.

If anybody is interested in knowing or sharing their experiences, you can also quote or message me as well.

Napoli, Rome, Florence, Sicily, Venice

London, Scotland

St. Petersburg, Stalingrad

Athens

Mumbai, New Delhi

L.A, New York, San Francisco, New Orleans

Geneva, Belgium, Paris

Tokyo

Hong Kong, Beijing

Egypt, Dubai, Turkey, Amsterdam

Palawan, Batangas, Bicol, La Union, Vigan, Bohol, Cebu, Laguna, Pangasinan

• 1 month later...