Back To The 70's

TV viewing habits back then:

Mondays - Mekanda Robot (Ch. 7), CHiPS, Man From Atlantis (Ch. 13), Hawaii Five-O (Ch. 9), Rich Man Poor Man mini series (Ch. 7), Hill Street Blues (Ch. 7)

Tuesdays - Daimos (Ch. 7), James at 15 (Ch. 7), Streets of San Francisco (Ch. 9)

Wednesdays - Love Boat (Ch. 7), Mazinger Z (Ch. 7)

Thursdays - Eight Is Enough (Ch. 7), UFO Grendaizer (Ch. 9)

Fridays - Starsky & Hutch (Ch. 7), Voltes V (Ch. 7)

Saturdays - Combat (Ch. 7), Little House on the Prairie (Ch. 7), Soap (Ch. 7), Benson (Ch. 7), Sealab 2020 (Ch. 2)

Sundays - Six Million Dollar Man (Ch. 9), Three's Company (Ch. 7), The Ropers (Ch. 7), Mork and Mindy (Ch. 7), The Muppet Show (Ch. 7)

Mondays - Mekanda Robot (Ch. 7), CHiPS, Man From Atlantis (Ch. 13), Hawaii Five-O (Ch. 9), Rich Man Poor Man mini series (Ch. 7), Hill Street Blues (Ch. 7)

Tuesdays - Daimos (Ch. 7), James at 15 (Ch. 7), Streets of San Francisco (Ch. 9)

Saturdays - Combat (Ch. 7), Little House on the Prairie (Ch. 7), Soap (Ch. 7), Benson (Ch. 7), Sealab 2020 (Ch. 2)

Sundays - Six Million Dollar Man (Ch. 9), Three's Company (Ch. 7), The Ropers (Ch. 7), Mork and Mindy (Ch. 7), The Muppet Show (Ch. 7)

Wow you have a great memory. I remember these tv programs but I don't remember which channels these programs aired. Much less remember which days. Thanks for sharing. Will save this one for posterity.

Edited by maxiev

Now I know why Channel 7 was my all time favorite channel decades ago. Many tv programs in the 70's and 80's were American. Today I can't think of a single American tv program that airs on off-the air programming. You need cable tv to watch American television programs.

I think Starsky and Hutch also aired in Channel 13 if memory serves me right. I remember Hill Street Blues but wasn't this shown in the 80s?

We both have sharp memories in terms of robot cartoons. I still recall the schedule of those like it was yesterday. Haha!

Yes, Hills Street Blues was shown on GMA 7 at 9PM on GMA7. I just needed to include my all-time favorite show in the list. :)

GMA7 showed Mekanda Robot on Mondays at 6PM, just before Anna Liza, the soap. It was one of the more horrible robot shows ever made. I forgot the Thursday cartoon show of GMA7 back then though.

Not sure about Starsky and Hutch shown on IBC13. What I do recall is Patrick Duffy and Elizabeth Montgomery of Man From Atlantis at 8PM on Mondays.

M*A*S*H, I think, was also shown on Monday late nights on GMA7. Charlie's Angels was shown on GMA7 every Sunday at 8PM, while IBC had Bonanza on Tuesdays. KBS9 had Diff'rent Strokes every early Sunday night, The Facts of Life and Mickey Mouse Club were shown on BBC2 every Sunday.

Other shows like WKRP In Cincinnati was shown on GMA7 every Sunday at 8PM. That was the time when GMA was known as the TV network full of canned shows. Sundays were comedy nights - starting with The Muppet Show, then WKRP In Cincinnati, Mork & Mindy, Three's Company / The Ropers, etc. RPN9 was the network with the second most canned shows - airing The Waltons (can't recall what day though) and Welcome Back Kotter every Saturdays back to back with Happy Days, featuring Ron Howard and Henry Winkler.

Yes, Hills Street Blues was shown on GMA 7 at 9PM on GMA7. I just needed to include my all-time favorite show in the list. :)

GMA7 showed Mekanda Robot on Mondays at 6PM, just before Anna Liza, the soap. It was one of the more horrible robot shows ever made. I forgot the Thursday cartoon show of GMA7 back then though.

Not sure about Starsky and Hutch shown on IBC13. What I do recall is Patrick Duffy and Elizabeth Montgomery of Man From Atlantis at 8PM on Mondays.

M*A*S*H, I think, was also shown on Monday late nights on GMA7. Charlie's Angels was shown on GMA7 every Sunday at 8PM, while IBC had Bonanza on Tuesdays. KBS9 had Diff'rent Strokes every early Sunday night, The Facts of Life and Mickey Mouse Club were shown on BBC2 every Sunday.

Other shows like WKRP In Cincinnati was shown on GMA7 every Sunday at 8PM. That was the time when GMA was known as the TV network full of canned shows. Sundays were comedy nights - starting with The Muppet Show, then WKRP In Cincinnati, Mork & Mindy, Three's Company / The Ropers, etc. RPN9 was the network with the second most canned shows - airing The Waltons (can't recall what day though) and Welcome Back Kotter every Saturdays back to back with Happy Days, featuring Ron Howard and Henry Winkler.

I remember all these programs. The golden age of television. Today the main tv content is the tele novella. Started with Mexican Soaps (eg. Marimar), then Chinese, and now Korean.

Many of these old tv programs are available on dvd. Unfortunately these aren't available locally. You can order these on-line. If you happen to be in the US you could try visiting Best Buy or FYE. In HK you could try HMV.

What is indelibly etched on my mind is when martial law was declared in 1972. I remember how scared my parents were when PD1081 was declared. At that time, I had no idea what martial law entailed. It's only after Marcos was ousted in 1986 that the full horror of martial law was revealed. We knew abuses were being done during the period 1972-1986 but we didn't know the extent of the abuses.

Golden era of Philippine cinema. After the "bomba" films of Divina Valencia, Merle Fernandez, Rossana Ortiz, etc, the film industry surged with classic films like Lino Brocka's "Tinimbang Ka Nguni't Kulang (1974), Maynila (1975) and Insiang (1976), Mike De Leon's Itim (1975) and Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising (1977), Eddie Romero's "Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon (1976), Maria Montelibano's Minsa'y ISang Gamu-Gamo (1976), among others . As a matter of fact, in the 1977 Metro Manila Film Festival, it was a battle royale among perhaps the greatest Filipino film directors of all time. Competing in the event included names like Brocka, De Leon, Bernal, Romero, O' Hara, and Castillo. Castillo's "Burlesk Queen" won practically all the major awards and catapulted Vilma Santos to superstardom.

As Motown became a household byword with all the African-American musical artists being churned out (The Jacksons, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, The Commodores, etc), disco music became the funk in the mid to late 70's. Saturday Night Fever became the highest-grossing album of all time until Michael Jackson's "Thriller" surpassed it in the mid 80's.Those were the days when soundtrack albums were worthy to collect - as after SNF, there was also Grease, TGIF, among others.

I remember Raffy Mejia and Caloy Prieto doing the broadcast coverage for KBS 9 of the 1976 Montreal Olympics - the same Games where a 14-year old Romanian gymnast captured the hearts of many people around the world. Other worthy shows to watch back then were athletes from different fields competing against each other in various sporting events called "Superstars" and of course, the monumental "Battle of the Network Stars" featuring the actors and actresses of US television networks ABC, CBS and NBC.

Golden era of Philippine cinema. After the "bomba" films of Divina Valencia, Merle Fernandez, Rossana Ortiz, etc, the film industry surged with classic films like Lino Brocka's "Tinimbang Ka Nguni't Kulang (1974), Maynila (1975) and Insiang (1976), Mike De Leon's Itim (1975) and Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising (1977), Eddie Romero's "Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon (1976), Maria Montelibano's Minsa'y ISang Gamu-Gamo (1976), among others . As a matter of fact, in the 1977 Metro Manila Film Festival, it was a battle royale among perhaps the greatest Filipino film directors of all time. Competing in the event included names like Brocka, De Leon, Bernal, Romero, O' Hara, and Castillo. Castillo's "Burlesk Queen" won practically all the major awards and catapulted Vilma Santos to superstardom.

I remember watching "Tinimbang Ka Nguni't Kulang" as a requirement for school. We had to do a movie review. Even went to the extent of interviewing Christopher de Leon and Mario O' Hara to get their views on that movie. That was one of the great Filipino movies of all time.

As Motown became a household byword with all the African-American musical artists being churned out (The Jacksons, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, The Commodores, etc), disco music became the funk in the mid to late 70's. Saturday Night Fever became the highest-grossing album of all time until Michael Jackson's "Thriller" surpassed it in the mid 80's.Those were the days when soundtrack albums were worthy to collect - as after SNF, there was also Grease, TGIF, among others.

Those were the golden days of discos immortalized by Saturday Night Fever. I first watched that movie in Oahu, Hawaii, of all places. Back then, disco music was available on vinyl records. There weren't any compact discs back then. I remember buying tons of vinyl records at Tower Records and Werehouse in California.

I remember Raffy Mejia and Caloy Prieto doing the broadcast coverage for KBS 9 of the 1976 Montreal Olympics - the same Games where a 14-year old Romanian gymnast captured the hearts of many people around the world. Other worthy shows to watch back then were athletes from different fields competing against each other in various sporting events called "Superstars" and of course, the monumental "Battle of the Network Stars" featuring the actors and actresses of US television networks ABC, CBS and NBC.

The memory of the 1972 Munich Olympics is indelibly seared in my mind. What I recall most about that time was the hostage taking of the Israeli contingent by members of the Black September Movement, a faction of the Palestinian Liberation Organization. I remember the subsequent bloodbath that ensued as the hostages were murdered by their captors even as they themselves were gunned down by German police.

Another episode of the 1972 Olympics that I distincly recall was the US-USSR basketball championship. The US had already won the game by one point courtesy of two charity shots by Doug Collins (former NBA star of the Philadelphia 76ers). For some reason that still isn't clear to me, the USSR protested that there were still 3 seconds remaining in the game. The Soviets' demand was granted and the shot clock was re-set to 3 seconds.

A Soviet player made a full court pass to another Soviet player waiting at the other end. The latter caught the pass and made an easy shot as time ran out for the Americans. The Soviets won that championship by just one point.

And to think this was at the height of the Cold War.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=shSQ2ORxrQc

Edited by sonnyt111
  • Like (+1) 4

Who could forget the Ali-Frazier, Thrilla in Manila in 1975? I also remember this NBA team Washington Bullets (before they were called the Supersonics) that visited. Among the players for that NBA team were the legendary Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld. Point guard was Kevin Porter.

The NBA team defeated (or rather demolished) PBA teams. Representing the Philippines then were Sonny Jaworski, Francis Arnaiz, Atoy Co, William Adornado, and a host of other players I cannot remember.

Sometime in the 1970's the NCAA Division 1 champion basketball team North Carolina Wolfpack led by David Thompson also visited the Philippines and also demolished several PBA selection. Point guard for the North Carolina was a 5'7 guy named Monte Towe whom I got to talk with in the locker room after the game. I also spoke briefly with David Thompson, the 6'4 phenomenon who pre-dates Michael Jordan. Thompson was actually one of Jordan's idols when he was growing up since he (Thomposon) could catch the ball (ally oop) and slam dunk the ball with one hand which is done routinely today by the likes of Lebron James. But this was in the 70's when such moves were unheard off. And to think Thompson was only 6'4.

Everyone was in awe of David Thompson until he was surpassed by Michael Jordan a decade later.

Who could forget the Ali-Frazier, Thrilla in Manila in 1975? I also remember this NBA team Washington Bullets (before they were called the Supersonics) that visited. Among the players for that NBA team were the legendary Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld. Point guard was Kevin Porter.

The NBA team defeated (or rather demolished) PBA teams. Representing the Philippines then were Sonny Jaworski, Francis Arnaiz, Atoy Co, William Adornado, and a host of other players I cannot remember.

Sometime in the 1970's the NCAA Division 1 champion basketball team North Carolina Wolfpack led by David Thompson also visited the Philippines and also demolished several PBA selection. Point guard for the North Carolina was a 5'7 guy named Monte Towe whom I got to talk with in the locker room after the game. I also spoke briefly with David Thompson, the 6'4 phenomenon who pre-dates Michael Jordan. Thompson was actually one of Jordan's idols when he was growing up since he (Thomposon) could catch the ball (ally oop) and slam dunk the ball with one hand which is done routinely today by the likes of Lebron James. But this was in the 70's when such moves were unheard off. And to think Thompson was only 6'4.

Everyone was in awe of David Thompson until he was surpassed by Michael Jordan a decade later.

The Wahington Bullets are now known as the Wahington Wizards. The Supersonics were used by Seattle, later on the franchise moved to Oklahoma and are known as the Oklahoma Thunder. If a new franchise will open up at Seattle, they can opt to use the Supersonics name.

Dave Thompson, the Skywalker - the real Skywalker. Not Samboy Lim.

I forgot to add, the Washington Bullets were 1978 NBA champions against the Seattle Supersonics. It was the other way around in 1979, with the Sonics taking the crown against the Bullets. The game between the Bullets and the PBA All-Stars took place September 4, 1979.

http://contents.spin.ph/image/bullets.jpg

I think this was also the time of Leif Garret and Shaun Cassidy. Among the shows i can remember were

LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE

SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON

THE BRADY BUNCH

RAT PATROL

COMBAT

THE AVENGERS

I think Combat and the Avengers pre-dates these other shows. Combat and the Avengers (and other famous tv programs like Batman and Robin and the Green Hornet) aired in the 1960's.

I think this was also the time of Leif Garret and Shaun Cassidy. Among the shows i can remember were

LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE

SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON

THE BRADY BUNCH

RAT PATROL

COMBAT

THE AVENGERS

Shaun Cassidy....half brother of David Cassidy and son of actress Shirley Jones of "Carousel" fame. I think he starred in the tv series The Hardy Boys opposite Parker Stevenson.

The Wahington Bullets are now known as the Wahington Wizards. The Supersonics were used by Seattle, later on the franchise moved to Oklahoma and are known as the Oklahoma Thunder. If a new franchise will open up at Seattle, they can opt to use the Supersonics name.

Oh yeah you're right. What was I thinking? The Seattle Supersonics. I guess I got a bit confused being that the city of Seattle is in Washington State. He he he. I stand corrected.

And didn't Michael Jordan join the Wizards for a short while after he came out of retirement?

Yup David Thompson was the original Skywalker. Samboy Lim got that same attribute many years later. I forgot to mention that when I spoke with Monte Towe in the locker room, I also asked David Thompson if he would be playing in the NBA in the near future. I don't exactly remember how he replied. I was just in awe of him and Monte Towe who stood as tall as me but somehow managed to play in the NBA. I saw him on tv playing for the Atlanta Hawks. He looked like a midget among all those NBA players.

Then again I'm sure you'll remember the 5'7 Spud Webb who won the slam dunk contest some years ago beating fellow team member Dominique Wilkins of the Atlanta Hawks. http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0S00MyBgG1RDFQAfqD7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBvcXNvNnBqBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDVjEzMw--?p=Spud+Webb&vid=c840860732e0adc1b3d4c3c2d3515323&l=1%3A29&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4878345086108173%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBUu7drj9hPw&tit=Spud+Webb-+The+Story&c=0&sigr=11ai7atsh&age=0&&tt=b

Edited by maxiev

I forgot to add, the Washington Bullets were 1978 NBA champions against the Seattle Supersonics. It was the other way around in 1979, with the Sonics taking the crown against the Bullets. The game between the Bullets and the PBA All-Stars took place September 4, 1979.

http://contents.spin.ph/image/bullets.jpg

I tried checking video availability of this game on YouTube. I only saw a really grainy video lasting only a couple of seconds.

There was a cruise ship we took in the 1970s called the Dona Monserrat which was operated then by Negros Navigation. The cruise started in Manila and made ports of call at Cebu, Zamboanga, and Iloilo before returning to Manila.

I probably had the worst case of sea sickness I've ever had on that ship. The captain set sail for Manila from Baradero Bay in Mindoro where the ship had docked for several days to avoid a typhoon. After several days anchored there, and with food, water and supplies running low, the captain decided to make a mad dash for Manila.

Awful is an understatement as to how I felt during that grueling journey. I had a high fever to boot with a bad cough and with no medicines aboard the ship. One should never take a cruise in the South China Sea and the Western Pacific Ocean during the rainy season. Sea sickness can be awful especially for people who've never experienced it before. I normally skip meals and stay in my cabin the whole day if the seas are unusually rough. It's best to be situated at the aft (rear) of the ship. Strong sea air can help minimize the bad feelings brought about by sea sickness.

Edited by maxiev

Anyone remember the requirement before graduation in the 1970's? The Youth Civic Action Program or simply (YCAP) where high school students had to pass this requirement before being allowed to graduate. It essentially required high school kids to do menial work fit for full grown laborers. My classmates and I were assigned to a small town in Bulacan where we had to live with the people there. Sleep with them ,eat with them, drink with them, and most importantly, build them a feeder road which entailed using a pick axe to separate rocks and soil from hills, use a shovel to move those rocks and soil to a wheel barrow. Then the wheel barrow would be brought over to a cliff and the contents dumped.

Over time, and as more students continuously repeated the process over and over again, the dumped contents eventually started to rise until it became as tall as the original road. This became the new "feeder" road. Many sections, many years, etc successfully built that feeder road, free of charge, using child labor (that was us) I do know what manual labor entails, what people in chain gangs experience, what slavery feels like. One week we had to build that damned road. Many kids got sick and were unable to finish the program. I fortunately did but I wouldn't never countenance children doing the jobs of full grown men.

This is back breaking work and was one of the worst experiences growing up in high school.

Edited by oscartamaguchiblackface