Usapang Utangan

top secret

The problem here in the Philippines is that people see generosity as a weakness they can exploit.

I used to give my secretary small amounts of bonuses out of pocket whenever I get some commission. Despite this, she frequently borrows money. Initially it was just small amounts and she'd pay it back the next week. Then there came a time when she borrowed around 10K, telling me she'll use it for her buy-and-sell business. She promised to pay it back in 2 weeks.

3 months have already passed, nothing. The worst part is I saw her receive her bonus and she didn't even bother to pay even 1K or 2K.

I got tired of it so last Christmas I told her to forget about it and that it's already my gift to her. But I also told her I won't be lending money to people anymore. I didn't tell her but I also stopped giving her the occasional cash gifts. I guess in the long run, I saved some money din because I already have a reason not to be generous to her.

There's no use being nice here in the Philippines. People just abuse you.

May utang sakin gusto ko siya singilin pero ako na nahiya magsingil dahil kaibigan ko sya lagi kami nagkikita pero hindi namin napaguusapan yung utang please advise me paano ko sya masasabihan hoy utang mo with friendly way thanks and advance

56 minutes ago, Ynos said:

May utang sakin gusto ko siya singilin pero ako na nahiya magsingil dahil kaibigan ko sya lagi kami nagkikita pero hindi namin napaguusapan yung utang please advise me paano ko sya masasabihan hoy utang mo with friendly way thanks and advance

Iremind mo lang siya in a calm and friendly way. Wag ka mahiya, siya pa nga dapat mahihiya sayo. Pag usapan niyo kung may capacity yang debtor friend mo na mabayaran utang. Ikaw bahala kung by installment or lump sum tsaka pwede kayo mg set ng date kung when mo pwede makuha sa kanya if may capacity to pay siya. Communication is key. 

11 minutes ago, damian filey said:

Iremind mo lang siya in a calm and friendly way. Wag ka mahiya, siya pa nga dapat mahihiya sayo. Pag usapan niyo kung may capacity yang debtor friend mo na mabayaran utang. Ikaw bahala kung by installment or lump sum tsaka pwede kayo mg set ng date kung when mo pwede makuha sa kanya if may capacity to pay siya. Communication is key. 

Apart from the above, better put things in writing / screen cap any agreements if ever you decide to lend to people you know in the near future. Ensure the timeline for payment is define and how repayment would be done. Don't agree to lend out without those 2 and don't let people gaslight you into not paying back based on your agreement or changing the agreement without your consent.

Documentation is key regardless if it is a friend or relative (sad to say) because you have to look out for your own well being first before helping out others.

Kapag magpapautang sa mga friends make sure magbilang. Minsan naiisip natin na maliit na bagay lang ito especially sa mga friends talaga natin (i.e. elementary school friends). Pero kapag napansin ng isa na hindi balanced yung give and take and nagkaroon sya ng resentment, hindi lang pera yung nawawala. Pati yung friendship. So magbilangan kayo. This is not a small thing.

• 1 month later...

I had a salary loan with a bank through Uploan. I'm no longer with the company and the bank has transferred the collecting to a collection agency. Should I be worried of being imprisoned if I don't pay? (I'm currently unemployed)