Who / What Made You Smile Today?

before entering a store known for selling japanese items , I was approached by two small girls selling sampaguitas. They had a tired look on their faces yet bravely put on their sweetest smiles. 

"Sir , bili na po kayo ng sampaguita . Pambili lang po ng tsinelas namin ". 

True enough , when i looked down they had nothing on their tiny feet. And then I cringed and pitied them as I imagined the pain and discomfort they must have felt  walking on burning pavement and asphalt on a hot summer day.

"Sige anak. D ako bibili ng sampaguita pero ibibili ko na lang kayo ng tsinelas. Gusto niyo ba yun ? "

"Opo" they both nodded shyly.

I left them on the shade of the shop foyer and asked the saleslady if they had girls slippers for sale. 

Luckily they had them on a nearby aisle .

I looked at the rack of choices , hoping to find slippers that that looked durable but still offered comfortable cushioning. I chose two pairs , went down and asked permission from the security guard if I could bring the items out so the girls could try it on .

The slippers were a perfect fit. They slipped it off and I went inside the cashier to pay for what I had chose.

Outside ,  I handed the slippers over and the girls  excitedly put it on their feet .  Now the slippers were officially theirs ; prolly one of the few things in life they could call their own.

Again the sweet smiles .

"Thank you po " and they walked away excitedly chatting mayhap about their new possessions.

And this made me think. These girls like so many of our less fortunate brethren go to sleep knowing that they have nothing. And they wake up knowing that they have nothing. And yet they BRAVELY muster on , day after day , week after week , month after month. To smile in the face of adversity ... that is COURAGE. 

Edited by FF
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Winner! (+1) 3
On 5/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, FF said:

before entering a store known for selling japanese items , I was approached by two small girls selling sampaguitas. They had a tired look on their faces yet bravely put on their sweetest smiles. 

"Sir , bili na po kayo ng sampaguita . Pambili lang po ng tsinelas namin ". 

True enough , when i looked down they had nothing on their tiny feet. And then I cringed and pitied them as I imagined the pain and discomfort they must have felt  walking on burning pavement and asphalt on a hot summer day.

"Sige anak. D ako bibili ng sampaguita pero ibibili ko na lang kayo ng tsinelas. Gusto niyo ba yun ? "

"Opo" they both nodded shyly.

I left them on the shade of the shop foyer and asked the saleslady if they had girls slippers for sale. 

Luckily they had them on a nearby aisle .

I looked at the rack of choices , hoping to find slippers that that looked durable but still offered comfortable cushioning. I chose two pairs , went down and asked permission from the security guard if I could bring the items out so the girls could try it on .

The slippers were a perfect fit. They slipped it off and I went inside the cashier to pay for what I had chose.

Outside ,  I handed the slippers over and the girls  excitedly put it on their feet .  Now the slippers were officially theirs ; prolly one of the few things in life they could call their own.

Again the sweet smiles .

"Thank you po " and they walked away excitedly chatting mayhap about their new possessions.

And this made me think. These girls like so many of our less fortunate brethren go to sleep knowing that they have nothing. And they wake up knowing that they have nothing. And yet they BRAVELY muster on , day after day , week after week , month after month. To smile in the face of adversity ... that is COURAGE. 

This made my day