Feeling Rich, Looking Rich And Claiming To Be Rich

I believe that this dates back to the time of the Spaniards. Filipinos (er, Indios) were considered second class islanders or even lower. Even Mestizos (in the 60s these were know as the "mestizo de entre suelo) born in the island belonged to a lower strata when compared to a Spanish migrant. However, the process of social assimilation by the Filipino with the Mestizos and Spaniards had a pre-requisite of land and wealth. This was very evident in Rizal's novels, particularly, with Dona Victorina. Up to this day, wealth and influence became the standard of the Filipinos' acceptance in the society or community he/she revolves in, not just abroad but even locally.

The situation never improved because the Philippines never had the occasion to broaden its middle class. The landed and the hacenderos wielded power and influence during the post-Spanish rule. It got worse during Marcos' time, where only a handful of cronies benefitted. To have influence and wealth, cronies stole from that state. Corruption was a way to get rich. This carried on during Cory's, FVR's, Erap's term. Well, need I say more for GMA's term?

Filipinos are proud! Among the countries in Asia, we are one race where bowing is not customary -- Japan, China, Korea, India, Thailand etc. bowing is part of their tradition. Filipinos, they nod their heads by lifting their chin.

A false pretense from one of the poorest country in Asia!

what a nice opinion that is based from facts from history. I cant agree more. I only hope that people would stop letting the past or bad parts of a culture to dictate their personality or character. Science keep saying that we have the most sophisticated brain among all creatures in this planet, so why dont we all start using it appropriately.

Its always better to be humble, stay low and be contented with what you have. And don't compare ourselves to what others have nor create unnecessary expenses or buy other things just to impress others or to live up to other's expectation or to boast that you have this and going to place or anything similar.

Feeling rich - is knowing that you are happy with were you're life is now

Looking rich - the richest people in the world wear ordinary tshirts and don't dress to impress.

Claiming to be rich - its always ends up in bad or sad situation, we should accept who we are.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree that it is best if rich people just keep low profile, as many of you have already said in this thread.

But i guess it' is also human nature to brag about one's wealth, properties, etc. Maybe the rich person wants recognition for their efforts, or they feel their riches give them superiority. I generally don't mind my friends who are like that, as long as they are self-made and earned their money honestly. If they just inherited their riches from their parents, that's another matter.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend, i got a comment from my sister who lives in NY that got me stumped... Sabi niya...bakit daw mga Pinoy has this NEED to establish in ANY social interaction that they are RICH..

Your thoughts please..

1ST- it's self blanket shield, dahil maraming matapobre at mapanglait sa mahirap,

2nd - personlal representation , tangap at mas kapanipaniwala ang estado ng mayaman, mas pinapakinggan ang kahangalan ng mayaman kesa sa makatotohanang salita ng mahirap.

3rd - escapism at marami pang psychological factor

4th- deception

• Like (+1) 1
  • 11 months later...

Being pretentious is now a big part of Filipino culture. For example, it is hot in the Philippines but people who can’t afford it would rather buy an expensive Starbucks coffee than get an ice cream. Just so they can pretend to be someone who has money. Haven’t you ask yourself why coffee houses are so busy and ice cream parlors are not when it is so hot in the Philippines?

Edited by dodo

I don't see the point in pretending to be someone you're not

Ultimately, lalabas din ang katotohanan

There's wealth, and there's class; and they're not necessarily synonymous

I've seen a lot guys flaunt their money but come across as obnoxious

While I've also met some people who, despite their understated casual appearance, exude class and good breeding

• Like (+1) 1

1ST- it's self blanket shield, dahil maraming matapobre at mapanglait sa mahirap,

2nd - personal representation , tangap at mas kapanipaniwala ang estado ng mayaman, mas pinapakinggan ang kahangalan ng mayaman kesa sa makatotohanang salita ng mahirap.

3rd - escapism at marami pang psychological factor

4th- deception

Agreed.

Para nga namang mas may bearing ang opinion ng "may narating sa buhay" vs, "Your Average Juan kasi nga let's be for real : wealth earns you power, respect, influence and whatever else your coffers can afford.

Tsaka sa mga social gatherings din ng mga angkan / school batchmates or old peers : 'di mo minsan maiwasan na may ganyang drama na mas welcome at hinahanap yung mga achievers.

May mga hiritan pa na "oh bakit di mo kasi gayahin si ganyan na nakapag-abroad at yumaman" (or something close).

Edited by Fapuccino

I believe that this dates back to the time of the Spaniards. Filipinos (er, Indios) were considered second class islanders or even lower. Even Mestizos (in the 60s these were know as the "mestizo de entre suelo) born in the island belonged to a lower strata when compared to a Spanish migrant. However, the process of social assimilation by the Filipino with the Mestizos and Spaniards had a pre-requisite of land and wealth. This was very evident in Rizal's novels, particularly, with Dona Victorina. Up to this day, wealth and influence became the standard of the Filipinos' acceptance in the society or community he/she revolves in, not just abroad but even locally.

The situation never improved because the Philippines never had the occasion to broaden its middle class. The landed and the hacenderos wielded power and influence during the post-Spanish rule. It got worse during Marcos' time, where only a handful of cronies benefitted. To have influence and wealth, cronies stole from that state. Corruption was a way to get rich. This carried on during Cory's, FVR's, Erap's term. Well, need I say more for GMA's term?

Filipinos are proud! Among the countries in Asia, we are one race where bowing is not customary -- Japan, China, Korea, India, Thailand etc. bowing is part of their tradition. Filipinos, they nod their heads by lifting their chin.

A false pretense from one of the poorest country in Asia!

I love this explanation. Thanks for reminding us our history.

Well... personally, that's one of the reasons I am not active in Facebook anymore. IT reminds me on how shallow people have become.

I think its pretty tiring ... this need for flaunting or for showing how rich you are. You are basically a slave for society's approval. That's pathetic and really lame to live your life.

• Like (+1) 2
  • 7 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, erika123 said:

I love this explanation. Thanks for reminding us our history.

Well... personally, that's one of the reasons I am not active in Facebook anymore. IT reminds me on how shallow people have become.

I think its pretty tiring ... this need for flaunting or for showing how rich you are. You are basically a slave for society's approval. That's pathetic and really lame to live your life.

pero pag history pinaguusapan, we can also look at evolution?

di ba there are animals who have to show off. like the peacock.

• 1 month later...

Claiming to be rich!❤️ minsna kase nakakakuha tayu ng mga negative/positive side!! 

tulad ng pagbibiling mga hindi original na brands feeling rich na ba agad yun?? pag

well ganyan ang mindset ng mga filipino prro minsan stepping stone yan malay mo in the future makabili ka ng original na mga gamit :) dpt ugaliin ntin maghatakan paangat!! supportahan!! 

looking rich nmn minsan positive or negative ! kase pag pomorma ka ng pangmayamn sinsibi nila uy dinaig mo pa pomorma mayamn sila nga nakapangbahy lang pag nagmamahal hays depende nlng tlga sa mga mata ng taong inggitera hahaa

• Like (+1) 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nuong desperate ako I sought different articles about self-help and personal development. Merong studies on how you can align your thoughts to be rich like quantum physics for example. There are sounds (available in YT) where it helps your body to vibrate with the same frequency as rich people. There are certain affirmations. Meron din kung paano mo babaguhin ang blueprint ng buhay mo from poor to rich mindset so you can manifest everything you desire. And so on..

One thing that works for me is to set my goal. Kung ano man yung goal na yun tutukan mo. Wag mo babaguhin. Tapos isa-puso mo. And to my surprise, all circumstances are falling the way my goal can be achieved. 

Edited by linkbizzkit
  • 1 month later...

Lol! The truth is it is easy to be rich and be RICH or to pretend to be rich if you have education … daming Schools dyan I believe yung Taguig University free… get a College degree, then mag Masterals ka, tapos PhD kung kaya mo.

For sure you will have a work kasi may Degree ka. And if in case na mag pormang mayaman ka people won’t know kasi once nalaman na may degree ka they will believe it! 

Though merong mayaman or may pera na walang education like yung mga nanalo sa lotto or isang sikat na YouTuber… still if you don’t have a degree sorry you will look like a social climber… it will show… years of education will change the way you talk and the way you interact.