Credit Card Talk

I would suggest HSBC than BPI. HSBC has more payment center, lower annual fee (and it can easily be waived), and many establishments worldwide offering discounts when using HSBC cards. I think BPI is more strict when giving credit limit so their limit is much lower compared to HSBC and they have higher annual fee (only half of the annual fee can be waived).

really there are many establishment offering discounts with hsbc cards but as i found out only locally issued cards are allowed for discounts and offerings.. like if you go to hongkong only hongkong issued hsbc cards are honored for the discounts and offerings.. your experience might vary from mine... pero sana lahat nalang pwede para mas masaya

really there are many establishment offering discounts with hsbc cards but as i found out only locally issued cards are allowed for discounts and offerings.. like if you go to hongkong only hongkong issued hsbc cards are honored for the discounts and offerings.. your experience might vary from mine... pero sana lahat nalang pwede para mas masaya

HSBC has a promo called "Home and Away" it offers discounts from partner establishments in the asia pacific region for their card holder. I saw it in their brochure and the list is also available in their website.

citibank sent me a platinum card....credit limit is only 130k++, not for anything else parang insulto sakin, my wife has a gold citibank card and her credit limit is around 300k....what give's????

I also received a platinum card from Standard Chartered and the limit was lower than the limit of my HSBC classic card. I plan to cancel it after the first year free annual fee.

re the credit card loans....tho i haven't tried/availed of it, have had a few calls asking me if i wanted to avail, i always said no. i pay my bills on time and buo pa, i don't see the need to avail of it. feeling ko kasi lalo ka magkaka boan baon sa utang, may binabayaran ka na with the current bills you have tapos may binabayaran ka pa na additional sa loan with interest.

citibank sent me a platinum card....credit limit is only 130k++, not for anything else parang insulto sakin, my wife has a gold citibank card and her credit limit is around 300k....what give's????

hehehehe. honga...

security bank sent me a Platinum card with a credit limit of 400k, and i have an american express card platinum with a credit limit of USD 20,000.00.

nakakatakot.... kaya parati ko ding iniiwan.

anyway, depende talaga ata sa card issuer yan eh.

i have a gold standard chartered before with a limit of 100k, a silver Citibank Visa with a limit of 180k and a Diner's Club with a limit of 200k.

is that a local citibank platinum? i noticed that local platinum cards don't necessarily have a higher limit than gold cards. :)

is that a local citibank platinum? i noticed that local platinum cards don't necessarily have a higher limit than gold cards. :)

yup local lang....but again it's a platinum....no matter what you say is supposed to have higher priveledges than a gold card, right?

Edited by mild seven

The platinum card cost 3 times the gold card because of more benefits. Even for sake of argument you do not pay the annual due of Php 7,500 on the first year, second year up you will. My theory is that giving you Platinum card maybe gives the account executive more credit and commissions.

Edited by kenshin11
The best thing is to initially call your credit card to report that your card has been compromised..... Secondly write a 'dispute' letter to contest the said charges. They usually will investigate the matter immediately.... Better call them immediately to cancel your existing card.

Amex and Citibank are used to investigating on these kind of thing. They even have a list of black listed site, because they will change your card even without spurious charges, if they feel that your card might be compromised.

• 2 weeks later...
yup local lang....but again it's a platinum....no matter what you say is supposed to have higher priveledges than a gold card, right?

higher privileges doesnt mean higher credit limit. youre a good man if have bpi silver with 300K. most of my cards are silver with higher credit limits than any other gold cards. who needs a lot of gold cards? silver cards are easier to maintain with lower annual fees. easier to reverse these annual fees...

baka may maka tulong saken... i am trying to apply for a bpi express credit card. I am unemployed right now (although by profession I used to be sales manager for several call centers)... and no business. All i have is a monthly allowance worth 60k that I get from a corporation that my Dad set up. I have an East west gold card with 300K+ limit which I pay in FULL each month therefore for the past 4 years, I have a perfect record to the point that eastwest always waive the annual fee. My question... How can I get a BPI express credit card given that I have nothing to show??? Is it possible to be given one despite me being unemployed? IF there's somebody out there who may be able to help, please PM me. I would really appreciate it. Peace!!!

baka may maka tulong saken... i am trying to apply for a bpi express credit card. I am unemployed right now (although by profession I used to be sales manager for several call centers)... and no business. All i have is a monthly allowance worth 60k that I get from a corporation that my Dad set up. I have an East west gold card with 300K+ limit which I pay in FULL each month therefore for the past 4 years, I have a perfect record to the point that eastwest always waive the annual fee. My question... How can I get a BPI express credit card given that I have nothing to show??? Is it possible to be given one despite me being unemployed? IF there's somebody out there who may be able to help, please PM me. I would really appreciate it. Peace!!!

imho, i think you are on 50-50. it would depend on the mood of your issuer. hehehehe.

did you tell them that you are a businessman or something that is related to that? because, they will be asking for more proofs of income (e.g. COE from your dad's business, 2007 ITR, etc.)

I've got a Citibank Mastercard Gold for 5 years and am thinking of switching dun sa mga cards that don't charge you for annual fee for life. Someone offered it to me, just can't remember the name. But is there such a thing? If there is, what's the catch?

Bro I have the M mastercard (M for metrobank) which has no annual fees (for life!)...up to now wala naman pang catch...pero just to be sure bihira ko gamitin din...hehe

I also have diners for 15 years na, every year waive nya annual fee nun...pero sabi sakin kun 17 yrs ka na sa diners waive na din for life...grabe napaka loyal o sa diners...first card ko kc un, hehe

imho, i think you are on 50-50. it would depend on the mood of your issuer. hehehehe.

did you tell them that you are a businessman or something that is related to that? because, they will be asking for more proofs of income (e.g. COE from your dad's business, 2007 ITR, etc.)

No I did not inform that I have a business nor that my father has a business that supports me. In fact, di pa ako nag apply kasi when I went to BPI, they just bluntly informed me that I need to show proof of employment or business. I know for a fact that when I do apply and get turned down, I might not be able to get one for a period of time that's why di pa muna ako nag aapply. I am just hoping that somebody out here knows somebody from BPI who I can explain my situation and maybe they can waive the requirements needed since I can prove to them that I am financially capable of payment and that I have a very good record with my east west credit card for the past 5 years. I do have a BPI account also that I even use to pay my bills just to prove that I am capable of making payments. Anyway, thanks for the response bro.

Guest lustfortravel
No I did not inform that I have a business nor that my father has a business that supports me. In fact, di pa ako nag apply kasi when I went to BPI, they just bluntly informed me that I need to show proof of employment or business. I know for a fact that when I do apply and get turned down, I might not be able to get one for a period of time that's why di pa muna ako nag aapply. I am just hoping that somebody out here knows somebody from BPI who I can explain my situation and maybe they can waive the requirements needed since I can prove to them that I am financially capable of payment and that I have a very good record with my east west credit card for the past 5 years. I do have a BPI account also that I even use to pay my bills just to prove that I am capable of making payments. Anyway, thanks for the response bro.

there are several ways of getting a card from bpi. one is the regular route where you apply and submit the requirements like proof of income. another way is if you have an account with the bank which they can hold as a guarantee for your card. they normally hold it for a year for you to establish your credit history with them then after that, you can ask them to lift the holdout and increase your credit limit. there is also the pre-approved route but you would have to be a preferred account of the bank to get hold of this.

since you said you have an account with them and you have established a good credit history with your east west card which you pay in full, i'm sure you can find a way around the proof of employment requirement. from whom did you ask? ask with bpi card directly, not the branch personnel. or talk to the branch officers of your branch of account. i'm sure they would be willing to help.

If you have an existing bank account with BPI with a ADB of 100K-300K you can ask the branch manager to give you a pre-approved card. Sometime last year they are agressively sending out as much as 3 card types to their clients. Although they sent me 3 cards they all share the same credit limit but seperate annual fees. With your good track record from your existing east west card I don't see any reason for your application to be denied. It is a requirement that you have a TIN and SSS Number. The proof of employment is optional as long as you are an existing client, you can easily fabricate this using your dad's company.

Bro I have the M mastercard (M for metrobank) which has no annual fees (for life!)...up to now wala naman pang catch...pero just to be sure bihira ko gamitin din...hehe

I also have diners for 15 years na, every year waive nya annual fee nun...pero sabi sakin kun 17 yrs ka na sa diners waive na din for life...grabe napaka loyal o sa diners...first card ko kc un, hehe

Yes M mastercard is free for life. catch is, you earn no points.

SC offers free for life. catch is u have to earn 8000pts a year thats like 320K spending a year if im not mistaken.

there are several ways of getting a card from bpi. one is the regular route where you apply and submit the requirements like proof of income. another way is if you have an account with the bank which they can hold as a guarantee for your card. they normally hold it for a year for you to establish your credit history with them then after that, you can ask them to lift the holdout and increase your credit limit. there is also the pre-approved route but you would have to be a preferred account of the bank to get hold of this.

since you said you have an account with them and you have established a good credit history with your east west card which you pay in full, i'm sure you can find a way around the proof of employment requirement. from whom did you ask? ask with bpi card directly, not the branch personnel. or talk to the branch officers of your branch of account. i'm sure they would be willing to help.

If you have an existing bank account with BPI with a ADB of 100K-300K you can ask the branch manager to give you a pre-approved card. Sometime last year they are agressively sending out as much as 3 card types to their clients. Although they sent me 3 cards they all share the same credit limit but seperate annual fees. With your good track record from your existing east west card I don't see any reason for your application to be denied. It is a requirement that you have a TIN and SSS Number. The proof of employment is optional as long as you are an existing client, you can easily fabricate this using your dad's company.

Thanks to both of you, you have indeed enlightened me an how to approach this. At least now I have options which I can use. The only reason why I really want a BPI credit card is for me to be able to use it in buying appliances at zero interest since east west seldom have these kind of promos and usually it's not with big appliance stores like abenson, etc. Thanks again bros!!! Peace!!!