WWE Wrestling/Usapang Wrestling

Ilja Dragunov vs. Jordan Devlin 2 - NXT UK Championship -- Loser Leaves NXT UK (NXT UK 200th Episode 05/12/22)

If you haven't started watching NXT UK, you're probably missing out. You rarely see NXT UK getting featured on talks, podcasts, etc., but it houses one of the best talent pool with tremendous wrestling showcases that come with it. This specific match is a good starting point if you want to explore the British style of wrestling. I can't say good things enough about the execution and pacing of the whole match that just lured me in for a good 20 minutes. Devlin and Dragunov are perhaps the two best wrestlers they currently have on the roster and they indeed delivered on the said main event. Curious to see where Jordan Devlin goes after this (will probably move to the States in NXT 2.0) but we'll see. Don't sleep on NXT UK -- you won't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A-Kid vs. Charlie Dempsey - NXT UK Heritage Cup Rules (NXT UK 05/26/22)

Okay. So here's another classic from two of the most talented young guns of NXT UK. For those who aren't aware. Charlie Dempsey is the son of the legendary Sir William Regal (yes, that's right) and has been one of their highly featured superstars in the roster. Both men have continuously produced classic after classic after classic so it's only logical if they have this long awaited rematch. Did it deliver? It certainly did.

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Jay White - IWGP World Heavyweight Championship (NJPW Dominion in Osaka-Jo Hall 06/12/22)

I have been out of the New Japan loop for quite a while so this match specifically piqued my interest. I've been a fan of Jay White since his early young lion days way back 2016 and to see how far he's grown as a competitor is such a treat to see. A 26-minute masterpiece between arguably the best Japan has to offer in Okada and the fastest rising star in Jay White, this turned out to be one of the best matches I've seen this year and it did exceed all my expectations. 

Riddle vs. Sami Zayn (Smackdown, 06/10/22)

To say Riddle is having the run of his career is an understatement. Ever since Orton was put on the shelf due to injury, Riddle has consistently been targeting Roman Reigns and The Bloodline with hopes of dethroning the 650+ day reign of the Undisputed WWE Universal Champion. Sami being heavily featured in this program is just so amazing to watch as his storytelling skills is definitely at par with his in-ring work. I'm interested to see the aftermath of how Riddle will take the loss from Roman because let's face it -- no one's good enough to dethrone the tribal chief at this day and age. Acknowledge him.

Roman Reigns (c) vs. Riddle - Undisputed WWE Universal Championship Match (Smackdown, 06/17/22)

You see, this is the match that just propelled Riddle to the next level. Pairing Riddle with Randy Orton was one of the best things WWE booking has ever done in recent years. The match was perfectly paced and both were heavily protected in terms of their respective presentations. The story telling in this match itself kept me invested and tuned in. The crowd was 1000% behind the said match and commentary was superb as well. This was definitely one of my favorite Smackdown main events in recent years and I could not give both men enough praise. Amazing, amazing match.

Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus (c) vs. The Young Bucks - AEW World Tag Team Championship (AEW Dynamite: Road Rager, 06/15/22)

I'll keep this short and sweet. If you're going to talk about tag team wrestling in this day and age, you'll always have to mention the Bucks -- and AEW is definitely the place to be when it comes to amazing and suspenseful tag team action in the ring.

Current match card for AEW Forbidden Door on June 26th:

Jon Moxley vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the interim AEW World championship

Will Ospreay (c) vs. Orange Cassidy for the IWGP United States championship

Thunder Rosa (c) vs. Toni Storm for the AEW Women’s World Title

FTR (c) vs. Jeff Cobb & Great O-Khan (c) vs. Roppongi Vice for the ROH & IWGP tag titles

PAC vs. Miro vs. ??? vs. an NJPW qualifier for the All-Atlantic title

Eddie Kingston, Shota Umino & Wheeler Yuta vs. mtc Jericho, Minoru Suzuki & Sammy Guevara

Jay White (c) vs. ??? for the IWGP World Heavyweight title

Honestly speaking, this seems a bit lackluster to me. NJPW visibly won't be sending the likes of Okada, Naito, Goto, etc. for unknown reasons. Maybe they still hold a grudge of some sort? Nonetheless, I hope the card gets saken up a few days from today to pique some interest on a rather underwhelming and overhyped PPV event from AEW.

In honor of John Cena's 20th Year Anniversary, I'll be posting my Top 10 favorite John Cena matches of all time.

10. John Cena (c) vs. Sami Zayn - United States Championship Open Challenge (RAW, 05/04/15)

Montreal is such a place where a lot of controversial (and some great) wrestling moments are made. This is one of the latter. I remember popping so hard for the Hitman when he came out, and even popped harder when Sami Zayn's music hit. It was one of those moments where you least expect something to happen and then it did. Cena's 2015 US open challenge series really opened the door for a lot of up and coming superstars and every match was definitely a banger.

9. John Cena vs. Kevin Owens  (Elimination Chamber 2015)

This was one example of a great way to introduce new talent. Cena definitely elevated KO in this very match - from the selling of the moves, the in ring storytelling - it was just everything you want for a debut. Fast forward to today, Kevin Owens is hailed as one of WWE's centerpieces in its current product, and we have John Cena to thank for that.

8. John Cena (c) vs. Daniel Bryan - WWE Championship (Summerslam 2013)

The early days of DB's run of a lifetime and there's no better way to kick it off than with the man himself, John Cena. It's been highly criminal that Cena's been always criticized as "boring" or "stale" when it comes to his skills but in reality, he's definitely far from that. No one can tell a better story than John himself (at least in my opinion), and this was another instance of a star-making match from arguably one of the greatest of all time. (Fun fact: this was the beginning of Daniel Bryan's meteoric rise to the top that culminated at Wrestlemania 30)

4 minutes ago, Raymoney said:

8. John Cena (c) vs. Daniel Bryan - WWE Championship (Summerslam 2013)

The early days of DB's run of a lifetime and there's no better way to kick it off than with the man himself, John Cena. It's been highly criminal that Cena's been always criticized as "boring" or "stale" when it comes to his skills but in reality, he's definitely far from that. No one can tell a better story than John himself (at least in my opinion), and this was another instance of a star-making match from arguably one of the greatest of all time. (Fun fact: this was the beginning of Daniel Bryan's meteoric rise to the top that culminated at Wrestlemania 30)

SABAW😅

• Haha (+1) 1

7. John Cena (c) vs. JBL - WWE Championship "I Quit" Match (Judgment Day 2005)

Fresh off his iconic Wrestlemania 21 world title win, this followup match is not for the faint of heart. Hailed as one of the bloodiest I Quit matches in WWE history, the compelling rivalry between John Cena and JBL had nothing but an unforgettable close to an amazing chapter. 

6. John Cena vs. Edge (c) - WWE Championship TLC Match (Unforgiven 2006)

This was oen of the matches that defined the Ruthless Aggression era and John Cena's rise to the top. A great back and forth from the master of the TLC match himself, Edge's WWE Championship reign came to a painful halt after being sent into two tables off from a 16 foot ladder. This match still remains iconic in Edge and Cena's long-storied rivalry.

5. John Cena (c) vs. Seth Rollins (c) - Title for Title Winner Takes All (Summerslam 2015)

It's easy to overlook this match due to the number of quality matchups Cena has produced. But at this juncture, Seth Rollins was in the middle of his best career run post-Shield era, and there's no better way to elevate his status than to be put against the face of the WWE in John Cena. For me, both men were in their prime at this period of time and the clash was one of the most anticipated in that year and boy, did they deliver.

4. John Cena vs Randy Orton - WWE Championship "I Quit" Match (Breaking Point 2009)

Personally, Orton vs. Cena is arguably is one of -- if not the best rivalries I've seen in recent years. I remember as a teenager watching the 2009 saga between these two and even though matches would sometimes look and sound so repetitive, it got me hooked and longing for more. This particular match was the most memorable one as I can really feel the brutality and the disdain these two have on screen. This one's a superior masterclass in in-ring psychology and storytelling from two of the greatest to ever do it.

Edited by Raymoney

3. AJ Styles (c) vs. John Cena - WWE Championship (Royal Rumble 2017)

This was the definition of a dream match. The story, the stakes, and even the parallels that John Cena and AJ Styles always had was an allure that can't be matched by any other. I remember watching this live and seeing and hearing the audience members' reaction on this back and forth was spectacular. For me, this was one of the most flawless and perfectly paced matches I've seen in my life and I'll never forget witnessing history as John Cena notches his 16th world title tying the Nature Boy.

2. John Cena (c) vs. CM Punk - WWE Championship (Money in the Bank 2011)

The match that defined my teenage years. I can't say enough good things about this match as I can go all day with it. I'll leave it to you at this: You don't ever mention CM Punk without this and the pipebomb promo beforehand that kickstarted what we know as The Summer of Punk, in which a rival promotion tried poorly to recreate 🤣

Ahh, the good times of sports entertainment indeed.

See what I did there in my description by taking a shot at the rival promotion? That's an homage to what CM Punk has amounted to these days 🤷‍♂️

1. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (RAW 04/23/07)

This one's arguably the best RAW match in history. An almost 60 minute classic I still remember to this day, it's hard to find a great match with this kind of quality in modern days. Give this one a watch as I'm sure you'll appreciate the work these two legends put in to produce this masterpiece. Here's a toast to the good old days of wrestling, the Ruthless Aggression era 🍻

John Cena makes his return to RAW this Monday. The GOAT is back!

So coming off of the AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door PPV, I'll list down some notable matches from that event. It actually was a pretty good overall PPV given the injury bugs and last minute changes, etc. I'm going to give AEW the credit they deserve for making a solid card overall despite all the aforementioned hurdles.

1. Will Ospreay (c) vs. Orange Cassidy - IWGP United States Championship

Definitely the match of the night. Heck, it's even an early match of the year candidate, too. Going into this one I had ZERO expectations as I wasn't really a fan of Orange Cassidy as a whole. His whole shtick was too "gimmicky" and I never envisioned him as a legitimate, technical wrestler that poses any threat. But after the match, I had to eat all of my words and finally acknowledge Orange Cassidy as a legit wrestler. Props also to Will Ospreay for being one of the best workers we have today. Solid match overall, 10/10.

2. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Man, seeing Claudio (fka Cesaro) get that ovation was so satisfying. There were already rumors floating around Claudio's signing, and it proved to be true. This is probably one of AEW's signings that makes the most sense as Claudio will have a new platform to showcase his skills and prove why he's one of the best in this business. Despite being a last-minute replacement for the injured Bryan Danielson, this felt like such a big match and hopefully sets a precedent on how Claudio will be presented on an entire new audience. 

P.S. - We still need to have a Bryan Danielson vs. ZSJ match in the future. Please.

3. PAC vs. Miro vs. Malakai Black vs. Clark Connors - AEW All-Atlantic Championship

Despite not having Tomohiro Ishii due to injury, this match still was a lot of fun to watch. I was quite skeptical at Clark Connors' addition at first, but as the match progressed, he proved that he indeed belonged with three of the most prominent international talents today. PAC prevailed in this highly-competitive match and became the inaugural AEW All-Atlantic Champion. Interesting to see where this reign goes.

4. Jay White (c) vs. Adam Cole vs. Hangman Adam Page vs. Kazuchika Okada - IWGP World Heavyweight Championship

A pretty solid match from the beginning as we'd expect from four of the best in the business today. Despite the abrupt finish (due to Adam Cole suffering an injury getting knocked out), it was a great showcase for all four men. Every one was given an adequate amount of time to showcase their offense and they each proved their value as performers in that match. Wishing Adam Cole a speedy recovery, baybay.

P.S. -- AEW should improve on their medical protocols as letting an already injured wrestler compete and then suffering a more serious one altogether. This makes me feel like management does not care as much for the performer's safety as this isn't the first time this happened inside an AEW ring.

5. Jon Moxley vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - Interim AEW World Championship

A pretty solid main event, both Mox and Tanahashi delivered a textbook main event that did not disappoint. The only disappointing this about this was the forced promotion of Blood and Guts in the ending of the match. We get it -- it's happening on Dynamite on Wednesday but it doesn't mean you have to promote the brawls repeatedly at each show. The main event could have ended with Mox and Tanahashi but they needed to be overshadowed by the Jericho Appreciation Society and the Blackpool Combat Club which I think was absolutely unnecessary.