Martial Arts

Corkscrew

Sir repeating a question I posted. I am planning to go back to training. What is holding me back is an injury I had that left me with a limp all over my right hip down to my to my right foot. Where should I get this "fixed" ? Alternative TCM or even mainstream medicine answers would be welcome. I also figure age is a factor too since I am 38 na. Used to shrug off tapilok walk it off. But then falling straight down from a ladder on one leg is gonna be a stress for anyone.

nice thread, very informative. saan pa ba magandang mag training ng aikido? ang layo kasi kung sa UP. i just live here in makati. does anyone here train in aikido?

@pogingpogi - do you still practice kickboxing bro?

oo bro...may halong grappling courtesy of our affiliates groups wrestling din

This is a good Idea bro!..actually you can easily buy instructional videos and books,and I'm sure most of us whose into martials already have a few.. and the only thing you need is a sparring partner to practice it and share thoughts with...before I used to be with this group where they teach grappling just for the love of it..we would usually meet..and we rent this studio in cubao..real cheap until it needs to be renovated..we usually share around 200 pesos/ month for the place ..then we practice..it was real fun..at makaakmura pa!

so I'think this idea of yours will work man ..and we can also share discipline..we'll build friendship and learn at the same time malay mo maka buo tayo nang team nang pang laban sa URCC heheh!.. in case anyone will organize this ..100% support ako!

thanks man... kase IMO ....lahat naman tayo may sariling technique na pwede nating ishare sa mga ka bro natin....I'm sure iba sa atin jujitsu,judo,kickboxing,aikido....and sigurado meron din tayo mga books and videos....so sana maging ok na tayo tayo na lang makakamura pa , and we can gain friends and a team also....

Same question here were can we find Yawyan. thanks

san ba location mo bro?

Sir repeating a question I posted. I am planning to go back to training. What is holding me back is an injury I had that left me with a limp all over my right hip down to my to my right foot. Where should I get this "fixed" ? Alternative TCM or even mainstream medicine answers would be welcome. I also figure age is a factor too since I am 38 na. Used to shrug off tapilok walk it off. But then falling straight down from a ladder on one leg is gonna be a stress for anyone.

sir biromn, patingnan mo mna sa dr. yung nangyari try going to ortophaedic in banawe they can surely help you...or in St. lukes look for dr. abrahan he's a specialst sports orthopaedic surgeon....hth

Greeting all,

Trained in various Asian arts over the years, still do.

However focus is the Philippine Warrior Art commonly known as Kali, Arnis, Eskrima.

It is also a way to honor our ancestors. From before Lapu-Lapu, the Katipunan, WW2 and the present.

The art lives and evolves to remain relevant in our time.

It is no wonder that elite special forces around the globe include our bladed arts in their training.

Places such as US, Korea, S. Africa, Australia, England and Israel to name a few.

anybody here know dojos that teaches japanese swordsmanship or kendo?

There's a group that practices in Makati Sports Club. Kinda expensive from what I hear. Just call to get an idea of the fees.

Yaw yan they so called it the "Unified Martial Arts"

bago na lang yan.

It is also based on circular techniques you find in Tai-chi and Aikido

Nap Fernandez's design of Yaw Yan is not based on Taiji or Aikido. Mga hilong hybrid na yan. The basics of this art is founded on what Nap calls "Unorthodox Kicks". Surprise kicking maneuvers baga. Very effective by itself. Arnis is the main addendum in Yaw Yan.

Yaw Yan(Sayaw ng Kamatayan) is like Muay Thai actually. The forms, the excecutions, etc.

Sa Hybrid dinagdagan na ng street fighting(Shootfighting, striking, wrestling) then yung mga grappling and submissions na-isama na din.

May ibang mga teachers na nag-infuse ng Jiu-Jitsu sa technique and also Aikido.

Yung Muay Thai pag piananood mo yun yung ordinaryong YawYan...

Yes its similar to Muay Thai - but its much more than that. Kaya nga bugbok sarado ang muay thai practitioners na nakalaban ng mga studyante ni Nap noong 1980 nang pumunta sila ng Thailand for a showdown.

Original & unadulterated Yaw Yan doesn't need grappling or submissions. Malakas na kahit walang dagdag. Yung mga praning ang nagdagdag nyan. Kaya nabuhay ang "Hybrid Yaw Yan". FYI - mga Koreano at iba pang mga dayuhan ang bumigay buhay dyan.

Baka iniisip ninyo practitioner ako ng Yaw Yan. Hindi mga bro. Madalas kong bisitahin noon ang founder ng Yaw Yan na si Nap Fernandez, sa Munoz pa ang headquarters noon. Sinabi nyang diretcho sa akin yan noong kami'y naging magkaibigan. Nagdemo pa mga main students nya. :D

Question lang po.... where does one go for women's self-defense?..... Hindi po

yung pa-cute lang like something you put in your resume under hobbies....that

gives women a false sense of security....something simple yet effective....HINDI

PO YUNG PARANG ONE-STEP SPARRING GAYA NG MARAMI.... which are more

concern with techniques than attributes (timing, speed, etc.) SOME INFO

PLEASE!

There are several options for you depending on the level that you want to take it (I'm assuming that you're female, if you're not - sorry. Advise mo na lang sa tsikas mo). If not too serious but you really want to learn good survival skills: go study WASP - Women's Anti-assault Self-defense Program. Ginawa yan ng mga practitioners ng Hwa Rang Do dito sa Pilipinas. Gawang babae, ng babae, para sa kapwa babae. Nasubukan na yan. Hindi nakabase sa imagination or theory. Hindi mo kailangang sumipa ng mataas, at walang tanging lakas na kailangan para gumana. Simple. Walang pa-cute. Hindi din madaling gawin, pero effective.

One more option is Counter Strike. Get the latest issue of Rapid Magazine (available at Popular Bookstore, National Bookstore, Squadron Shop, etc). On the last page, they have an advertisement on their style. Contact numbers are also included there. Hindi ito martial art. Close quarter combatives ng French Foreign Legion. Hindi ko na kailangan pang "pabanguhin", kaya ginagamit ng Legion kasi malakas.

Kung talagang serious ka naman - magaral ka ng Hsing I.

• 2 weeks later...
how bout ninjutsu guys? what do you tink about that martial arts? :zorro:

The ninja practice ninjutsu. The question is "what is a ninja?" A ninja is an assasin. Ergo someone who kills another person for a fee. Under what circumstance would a ninja want to go public and open a dojo? Meaning, every ninjitsu school in existence is a fake. Ninja in Japanese means "invisible assasin". By virtue of wanting to be "invisible" its but natural that true ninja (assuming that they still exist) wouldn't want to be out in the open.

Do you know a druglord who appears on the paper admitting he's a druglord? How about a Kidnap-for-ransom Tycoon? You think he'll let Boy Abunda give him an interview? :D

The idea of Ninjutsu being available to the public is rediculous. Books made by various authors claiming to be ninja are stupid beyond belief. :D

how bout ninjutsu guys? what do you tink about that martial arts? :zorro:

what a complete and utter f#&king waste of time. one of the biggest con jobs in modern martial arts. here's a tip: return the videos to the shop and go find something worth training in. hell, even olympic tkd is better then this crap.

There's a group that practices in Makati Sports Club. Kinda expensive from what I hear. Just call to get an idea of the fees.

bago na lang yan.

Nap Fernandez's design of Yaw Yan is not based on Taiji or Aikido. Mga hilong hybrid na yan. The basics of this art is founded on what Nap calls "Unorthodox Kicks". Surprise kicking maneuvers baga. Very effective by itself. Arnis is the main addendum in Yaw Yan.

Yes its similar to Muay Thai - but its much more than that. Kaya nga bugbok sarado ang muay thai practitioners na nakalaban ng mga studyante ni Nap noong 1980 nang pumunta sila ng Thailand for a showdown.

Original & unadulterated Yaw Yan doesn't need grappling or submissions. Malakas na kahit walang dagdag. Yung mga praning ang nagdagdag nyan. Kaya nabuhay ang "Hybrid Yaw Yan". FYI - mga Koreano at iba pang mga dayuhan ang bumigay buhay dyan.

Baka iniisip ninyo practitioner ako ng Yaw Yan. Hindi mga bro. Madalas kong bisitahin noon ang founder ng Yaw Yan na si Nap Fernandez, sa Munoz pa ang headquarters noon. Sinabi nyang diretcho sa akin yan noong kami'y naging magkaibigan. Nagdemo pa mga main students nya. :D

There are several options for you depending on the level that you want to take it (I'm assuming that you're female, if you're not - sorry. Advise mo na lang sa tsikas mo). If not too serious but you really want to learn good survival skills: go study WASP - Women's Anti-assault Self-defense Program. Ginawa yan ng mga practitioners ng Hwa Rang Do dito sa Pilipinas. Gawang babae, ng babae, para sa kapwa babae. Nasubukan na yan. Hindi nakabase sa imagination or theory. Hindi mo kailangang sumipa ng mataas, at walang tanging lakas na kailangan para gumana. Simple. Walang pa-cute. Hindi din madaling gawin, pero effective.

One more option is Counter Strike. Get the latest issue of Rapid Magazine (available at Popular Bookstore, National Bookstore, Squadron Shop, etc). On the last page, they have an advertisement on their style. Contact numbers are also included there. Hindi ito martial art. Close quarter combatives ng French Foreign Legion. Hindi ko na kailangan pang "pabanguhin", kaya ginagamit ng Legion kasi malakas.

Kung talagang serious ka naman - magaral ka ng Hsing I.

Hi Corkscrew

can you please explain about the surprise kick attacks in Yaw-yan ,the fascinating arnis art, how does it differant from Muaythai and Taekwondo..Have read like Yy ardigma aims to bring back the pure fighting spirit of YY before it becoming a just kick boxing style.And can you just give a rough english translation of your previous post about yy.

Regards

Edited by vi-king

how about wushu?

madami siyang divisions right?

I used to practice Wushu back in elementary but i stop.

i'lll be starting kickboxing by next week since i can't find

my wushu instructors and somewhat related un sa isa't us a

btw. I'm a high school student. Just a newbie in thise thread.

Hi Corkscrew

can you please explain about the surprise kick attacks in Yaw-yan ,the fascinating arnis art, how does it differant from Muaythai and Taekwondo..Have read like Yy ardigma aims to bring back the pure fighting spirit of YY before it becoming a just kick boxing style.And can you just give a rough english translation of your previous post about yy.

Regards

Hi Vi-king,

My apologies, I'd forgotten that so many international folk do read MTC.

Of the unorthodox kicks (UK) of YY, at the time of my meeting with master Nap (the system's creator) - there were at least 14 of them. I understand from some of his elder students who are friends of mine, that this number has since increased. YY differs from Muay Thai in the sense that first, YY utilizes infighting kicking techniques. Muay Thai (MT) prefers to use their kicks from the middle distance (the cutkick being the only infighting kick they have). YY has all those kicks plus the unorthodox kicks... mostly delivered at the infighting distance. MT would shift to knees & elbows at the infighting range. To give you some idea of what these things look like - think of the Chinese Scorpion Kick - delivered at infighting range. Its not their most effective one, but the most easily described. The unorthodox kicks are exactly that... they're difficult to learn, but once you're armed with it - its very difficult to protect against. Hardly anyone is prepared for them since the kick is not within the normal or "orthodox" kicking techniques that you'll see commonly being practiced in either Korean, Japanese or Thai arts.

Perhaps the most dramatic (and difficult) of the unorthodox kicks is the first - try to picture this: two guys come into close contact. The YY fighter dips his head forwards & to his left side, in response to a left hook. The YY fighter's left foot rises from the back, moving forward & up, to kick the opponent upwards at his chin. The timing of course is critical. Rather than scorpion kick forward, the foot kicks up. Naturally the body bends differently than a scorpion kick since this is delivered at infighting range. The least dramatic of these are called "the five invisible kicks". They're five kicks that, if you make the mistake of looking at the YY fighter's sternum or higher, you would've been kicked already at the knees without even seeing the kick. Again, these are delivered at infighting range.

About a comparison to TKD... okidoki, Muay Thai differs from TKD in the sense that MT uses the shin as the main contact point. TKD uses the top portion of the foot (over the arch) as the primary contact area. TKD will also use the knife edge of the foot, the ball and the heel. Muay thai will, likewise use the ball for its front kick & the heel for its turning 360 degree kick. Apart from that, there is no other similarity. Yaw Yan utilizes everything mentioned above.

Now, finally - we get to ARNIS. To understand the association of Arnis with Yaw Yan, you have to understand the origins of Yaw Yan. Almost all Arnis styles start off with stick training. Only when you reach the masteral levels will openhand be taught. Yaw Yan is the opposite. Master Nap learned the openhand methods of several arnis schools & combined these. THAT forms the basic framework of Yaw Yan hands. That, would explain to you why the non-hybrid YY students of master Nap know how to fight with weapons very well... it is, in a manner of speaking, an openhand version of Arnis.

So with a powerful leg arsenal, and a powerful hand arsenal... now perhaps you will see why the system is so aptly named. We haven't even begun to discuss YY's fighting strategy, which is an integral key to understanding how this system works, and why it has seen so much success - even in Thailand, against stabled MT fighters.

What is Hybrid Yaw Yan? Basically, some students of Nap who poorly understood the fighting method - left his dojo and established a new & improved version of his style... adapting it to fighting mixed martial artists... in particular adding a plethora of grappling maneuvers to it. Original Yaw Yan did not NEED this adaptation, but because these guys did not learn everything that they should have... ergo the supposedly "improved" version called "Hybrid YY".

In Pilipino, I had mentioned in my post above that I am NOT a Yaw Yan practitioner. I know these things because I used to visit master Nap very frequently. Over 15 years ago, he'd asked me to teach grappling at this school in exchange for lessons. I'd humbly declined. Nonetheless, much of what I've written here comes from what I remember he'd shown me & of our conversations.

I apologize for the lengthy reply. But I do hope that I'd answered your question. If you've any more questions, please feel free to ask away - I will do my best, assuming that I know anything on the subject. :D

how about wushu?

madami siyang divisions right?

I used to practice Wushu back in elementary but i stop.

i'lll be starting kickboxing by next week since i can't find

my wushu instructors and somewhat related un sa isa't us a

btw. I'm a high school student. Just a newbie in thise thread.

Wow... thats not a simple question bro. I'll try.

The words "Wu Shu" pre-MAO era, before the Cultural Revolution meant "Martial Arts". Kung Fu differs in translation as it simply means "High Level of Skill". So, you could be an incredible cook, and your skill would be called "Kung Fu". But, Mao Tse Tung changed that. After the conversion of China into communism, the commie government tried to destroy many of China's Cultural achievements. Sources of things like accupuncture, martial arts, tapestry, pot-making, etc., etc. were destroyed. Books were burned, dojos destroyed, etc. Why? I don't know. They just did.

The main victims of the Cultural Revolution were the martial artists. In essence, the practice of martial arts was banned. So masters stopped practicing, at least - in the open. So began an underground study of martial arts in China. Now, the communist government later realized their mistake. At the same time, they did not want martial artists to be so powerful as to be able to overthrow them (in ancient China, up to the period of the Boxer's Rebellion circa 1890 - martial arts was regarded as the most powerful thing in China). So what happened during the "Cultural Revolution"? Martial artists were forced to change their fighting methods, adapting to what "the communist's idea of what Chinese martial arts should look like". Ergo, the birth of Modern Wu Shu.

What is modern Wu Shu? It is in essence a collection of dances or kata. Moves have all been modified for their appearance. The "tao" or "dao"... the "ways" or "keys" to making these katas powerful are all lost in Wu Shu. Lets cite one example to be concrete: the wu shu form "Iron Finger Fist". In the old days of Shaolin, they used to practice Iron Palm excercises which made the use of this form powerful. Guys could punch a hole through someone's stomach using their bare fingers. But who can do that now? Certainly no one who practices Wu Shu. The traditional schools - definitely yes, after a long period of training. The focus on the traditional schools is fighting, not dancing katas.

About Wu Shu having multiple divisions, yes. You're very right. What happened was that the communist government opened the Beijing Athletic Association. Here, they got people to modify MANY of the existing martial arts under pain & threat of pain. Many MAs became pathetic dances which are good to look at, but have absolutely no value in combat. They're good for making movies or TV. Try it on the street & you'll die. This is not uncommon knowledge, many people are aware of it - including the wu shu practitioners themselves. Now, I mentioned that MANY arts were converted into Wu Shu... that's why there are so many divisions... its a compilation of multiple arts that were so transformed by Mao & his cohorts.

NOW, I'm not saying WU SHU is useless or has no value. Different people do martial arts for different reasons. Some do it for health, some for beauty & aesthetics, some for fighting ability. There's no wrong reason here. Just make sure that you're studying the right thing for the right reasons. If you want to fight, don't take up Wu Shu. If you want to look good, traditional Chinese martial arts look terrible... you wouldn't ever be hired to do a movie, but you will learn how to protect yourself very well. Each to his own.

These days, Kung Fu refers to the Traditional Schools that teach fighting. Wu Shu refers to dancing martial-like katas.

Whats the name of your teachers? If you're interested in continuing your studies of Wu Shu, I might be able to find them for you.

Wow... thats not a simple question bro. I'll try.

The words "Wu Shu" pre-MAO era, before the Cultural Revolution meant "Martial Arts". Kung Fu differs in translation as it simply means "High Level of Skill". So, you could be an incredible cook, and your skill would be called "Kung Fu". But, Mao Tse Tung changed that. After the conversion of China into communism, the commie government tried to destroy many of China's Cultural achievements. Sources of things like accupuncture, martial arts, tapestry, pot-making, etc., etc. were destroyed. Books were burned, dojos destroyed, etc. Why? I don't know. They just did.

The main victims of the Cultural Revolution were the martial artists. In essence, the practice of martial arts was banned. So masters stopped practicing, at least - in the open. So began an underground study of martial arts in China. Now, the communist government later realized their mistake. At the same time, they did not want martial artists to be so powerful as to be able to overthrow them (in ancient China, up to the period of the Boxer's Rebellion circa 1890 - martial arts was regarded as the most powerful thing in China). So what happened during the "Cultural Revolution"? Martial artists were forced to change their fighting methods, adapting to what "the communist's idea of what Chinese martial arts should look like". Ergo, the birth of Modern Wu Shu.

What is modern Wu Shu? It is in essence a collection of dances or kata. Moves have all been modified for their appearance. The "tao" or "dao"... the "ways" or "keys" to making these katas powerful are all lost in Wu Shu. Lets cite one example to be concrete: the wu shu form "Iron Finger Fist". In the old days of Shaolin, they used to practice Iron Palm excercises which made the use of this form powerful. Guys could punch a hole through someone's stomach using their bare fingers. But who can do that now? Certainly no one who practices Wu Shu. The traditional schools - definitely yes, after a long period of training. The focus on the traditional schools is fighting, not dancing katas.

About Wu Shu having multiple divisions, yes. You're very right. What happened was that the communist government opened the Beijing Athletic Association. Here, they got people to modify MANY of the existing martial arts under pain & threat of pain. Many MAs became pathetic dances which are good to look at, but have absolutely no value in combat. They're good for making movies or TV. Try it on the street & you'll die. This is not uncommon knowledge, many people are aware of it - including the wu shu practitioners themselves. Now, I mentioned that MANY arts were converted into Wu Shu... that's why there are so many divisions... its a compilation of multiple arts that were so transformed by Mao & his cohorts.

NOW, I'm not saying WU SHU is useless or has no value. Different people do martial arts for different reasons. Some do it for health, some for beauty & aesthetics, some for fighting ability. There's no wrong reason here. Just make sure that you're studying the right thing for the right reasons. If you want to fight, don't take up Wu Shu. If you want to look good, traditional Chinese martial arts look terrible... you wouldn't ever be hired to do a movie, but you will learn how to protect yourself very well. Each to his own.

These days, Kung Fu refers to the Traditional Schools that teach fighting. Wu Shu refers to dancing martial-like katas.

Whats the name of your teachers? If you're interested in continuing your studies of Wu Shu, I might be able to find them for you.

Thanks for the answer but i'm a girl a junior student in highschool to be specific.

So do you think effectve ang kickboxing? As susbstitute sa wushu since my coaches

der are too busy wid there career :(

Thanks for the answer but i'm a girl a junior student in highschool to be specific.

So do you think effectve ang kickboxing? As susbstitute sa wushu since my coaches

btw... I forgot their surnames but ung isa kasi professional photographer and ung isa featherweight champion

ng int'l martial. Ronald and Melvin Sia. Sa Chang Kai Chek kasi ako eh.

I'm not really desperate in looking for an instructor since ayoko ng sbrang strict!!!

Lol. Though i know martial arts need discipline. I just pick those stuffs for recreational

purposes lalo na ngayon i gaines weight.

But when you check Sta.Cruz or Binondo may Wushu gym dun who still practices the

traditional wushu [ the fighting thing, with the exhibition and the stunts etc. ] but anywa

i'm satisfied with the kickboxing thingy. I'm only 15 so i don't think i would be really into

it specialy may pasok ngaun.

But hey i really appreciate the effor answering my question

Hi Vi-king,

My apologies, I'd forgotten that so many international folk do read MTC.

Of the unorthodox kicks (UK) of YY, at the time of my meeting with master Nap (the system's creator) - there were at least 14 of them. I understand from some of his elder students who are friends of mine, that this number has since increased. YY differs from Muay Thai in the sense that first, YY utilizes infighting kicking techniques. Muay Thai (MT) prefers to use their kicks from the middle distance (the cutkick being the only infighting kick they have). YY has all those kicks plus the unorthodox kicks... mostly delivered at the infighting distance. MT would shift to knees & elbows at the infighting range. To give you some idea of what these things look like - think of the Chinese Scorpion Kick - delivered at infighting range. Its not their most effective one, but the most easily described. The unorthodox kicks are exactly that... they're difficult to learn, but once you're armed with it - its very difficult to protect against. Hardly anyone is prepared for them since the kick is not within the normal or "orthodox" kicking techniques that you'll see commonly being practiced in either Korean, Japanese or Thai arts.

Perhaps the most dramatic (and difficult) of the unorthodox kicks is the first - try to picture this: two guys come into close contact. The YY fighter dips his head forwards & to his left side, in response to a left hook. The YY fighter's left foot rises from the back, moving forward & up, to kick the opponent upwards at his chin. The timing of course is critical. Rather than scorpion kick forward, the foot kicks up. Naturally the body bends differently than a scorpion kick since this is delivered at infighting range. The least dramatic of these are called "the five invisible kicks". They're five kicks that, if you make the mistake of looking at the YY fighter's sternum or higher, you would've been kicked already at the knees without even seeing the kick. Again, these are delivered at infighting range.

About a comparison to TKD... okidoki, Muay Thai differs from TKD in the sense that MT uses the shin as the main contact point. TKD uses the top portion of the foot (over the arch) as the primary contact area. TKD will also use the knife edge of the foot, the ball and the heel. Muay thai will, likewise use the ball for its front kick & the heel for its turning 360 degree kick. Apart from that, there is no other similarity. Yaw Yan utilizes everything mentioned above.

Now, finally - we get to ARNIS. To understand the association of Arnis with Yaw Yan, you have to understand the origins of Yaw Yan. Almost all Arnis styles start off with stick training. Only when you reach the masteral levels will openhand be taught. Yaw Yan is the opposite. Master Nap learned the openhand methods of several arnis schools & combined these. THAT forms the basic framework of Yaw Yan hands. That, would explain to you why the non-hybrid YY students of master Nap know how to fight with weapons very well... it is, in a manner of speaking, an openhand version of Arnis.

So with a powerful leg arsenal, and a powerful hand arsenal... now perhaps you will see why the system is so aptly named. We haven't even begun to discuss YY's fighting strategy, which is an integral key to understanding how this system works, and why it has seen so much success - even in Thailand, against stabled MT fighters.

What is Hybrid Yaw Yan? Basically, some students of Nap who poorly understood the fighting method - left his dojo and established a new & improved version of his style... adapting it to fighting mixed martial artists... in particular adding a plethora of grappling maneuvers to it. Original Yaw Yan did not NEED this adaptation, but because these guys did not learn everything that they should have... ergo the supposedly "improved" version called "Hybrid YY".

In Pilipino, I had mentioned in my post above that I am NOT a Yaw Yan practitioner. I know these things because I used to visit master Nap very frequently. Over 15 years ago, he'd asked me to teach grappling at this school in exchange for lessons. I'd humbly declined. Nonetheless, much of what I've written here comes from what I remember he'd shown me & of our conversations.

I apologize for the lengthy reply. But I do hope that I'd answered your question. If you've any more questions, please feel free to ask away - I will do my best, assuming that I know anything on the subject. :D

Hi CorkScrew,

Thank you very much for the reply.

It's very informative .The infighting kicks of yawyan sounds amazing.I know what you mean ,The opponent will not be getting a clue where it came from.I have got an article about yawyan which came on inside kungfu mag long before .In that ,the author just mention about this like yawyan prefer to use their kicks in close quarter .

And about the hand techniques of yaw-yan, read like the empty hands of escrima or arnis is very fast similar to winghun+boxing,but with weapon awareness,trapping and triangle footwork.And the primary step is attacking the opponents attacking limb first..Can you please explain about the elbows and knees in Yaw-Yan,i think yawyan has more elbow and knee strikes than muaythai and various combinations.And in the Ikf article author states the kicks by thighs,(assume it's a close qurterkicks.only that type of kick i 've seen is in 'ongbak').

Thank you

Regards

Hi CorkScrew,

sorry, something went worng with the last post, reposting it

Thank you very much for the reply and for the time you spend for answeing me.

It's very informative and interesting .The infighting kicks of yawyan sounds amazing.I know what you mean ,The opponent will not be getting a clue where it came from.I have got an article about yawyan which came on inside kungfu mag long before .In that ,the author just mention about this like yawyan prefer to use their kicks in close quarter .

And about the hand techniques of yaw-yan, read like the empty hands of escrima or arnis is very fast similar to winghun+boxing,but with weapon awareness,trapping and triangle footwork.And the primary step is attacking the opponents attacking limb first.Does pure Yawyan follows the same principle.And it's said like Yawyan was a complete martial art before it became just a kickboxing style ,and it contains grappling (YY buno),groundfighting etc and yaw-yan ardigma is bringing back the pure yawyan.

Can you please explain about the elbows and knees in Yaw-Yan,i think yawyan has more elbow and knee strikes than muaythai and various combinations.And in the Ikf article author states the kicks by calfs,thighs,(assume it's a close qurterkicks.only that type of kick i 've seen is in 'ongbak').And it would be nice if you can share some insight on YY's fighting strategies.

Thank you very much

Regards

Hm. Age does affect your choice of styles - there's more that you'll be able to excell at since you'd be more flexible than us "ancient ones". Hahaha! Kickboxing is good... depends on the style tho. Maybe if you had a specific school/art in mind, many guys here will be able to give you great advice.

mga sir....would you know any good school in learning Filipino Martial Arts here in manila...tried to search in the web, but all i got was foreign based schools...im really intrested in taking it up?? would anyone help..thanks

Hi badburnmd,

There's quite a number of FMA's to begin with: Yaw Yan, Tay San, Sarian, Bakbakan, Away Kalye, Dumog, Panununtukan, Sikaran, Eskrima, Espada y daga AND a whole host of ARNIS schools (too many different styles to mention). Which one are you interested in?

btw... I forgot their surnames but ung isa kasi professional photographer and ung isa featherweight champion

ng int'l martial. Ronald and Melvin Sia. Sa Chang Kai Chek kasi ako eh.

I'm not really desperate in looking for an instructor since ayoko ng sbrang strict!!!

Lol. Though i know martial arts need discipline. I just pick those stuffs for recreational

purposes lalo na ngayon i gaines weight.

But when you check Sta.Cruz or Binondo may Wushu gym dun who still practices the

traditional wushu [ the fighting thing, with the exhibition and the stunts etc. ] but anywa

i'm satisfied with the kickboxing thingy. I'm only 15 so i don't think i would be really into

it specialy may pasok ngaun.

But hey i really appreciate the effor answering my question

That explains why you're practicing wu shu! A lot of wushu teachers I know go to your school & teach. Some of these fellows are Editors for Rapid Magazine (the only martial arts mag in the country), they're Kung Fu brothers of mine. I'd invited them to learn under my teacher. These bros are from Binondo, and were once members of the Wu Shu National Team. Incidenally, while not an editor - I do write for Rapid. The last two issues have my articles on it.

I'm afraid I've not met Ronald & Melvin.

15 is a good age. Not sure tho what it is that you're looking for. There are better ways of losing weight than martial arts. Although, if you stick to a tough external style - you will lose some of it. Being healthy is another can of worms so as to speak. :D Glad to help.

Hi CorkScrew,

sorry, something went worng with the last post, reposting it

Thank you very much for the reply and for the time you spend for answeing me.

Hi Vi-king,

No problem. My pleasure!

It's very informative and interesting .The infighting kicks of yawyan sounds amazing.I know what you mean ,The opponent will not be getting a clue where it came from.I have got an article about yawyan which came on inside kungfu mag long before .In that ,the author just mention about this like yawyan prefer to use their kicks in close quarter .

And about the hand techniques of yaw-yan, read like the empty hands of escrima or arnis is very fast similar to winghun+boxing,but with weapon awareness,trapping and triangle footwork.And the primary step is attacking the opponents attacking limb first.Does pure Yawyan follows the same principle.And it's said like Yawyan was a complete martial art before it became just a kickboxing style ,and it contains grappling (YY buno),groundfighting etc and yaw-yan ardigma is bringing back the pure yawyan.

Ok. When I met Nap - there was no groundfighting in YY yet (thats why he was asking me and others to teach at his school). But, as early as then... shortly before any of the UFC bouts started appearing, Nap already foresaw a need to develop Yaw Yan even further. Not really to get into groundfighting, but rather to address groundfighting. You don't have to go down to the ground to beat a grappler. But you do have to study how to get out of the ground, if in case it happens. THAT, was his purpose.

Can you please explain about the elbows and knees in Yaw-Yan,i think yawyan has more elbow and knee strikes than muaythai and various combinations.And in the Ikf article author states the kicks by calfs,thighs,(assume it's a close qurterkicks.only that type of kick i 've seen is in 'ongbak').And it would be nice if you can share some insight on YY's fighting strategies.

Thank you very much

Regards

We're talking about the same human body here. There's a finite amount of ways to move this same body - including the elbow & knees. Both MT & YY employ these weapons often & whenever possible. While the body movements are finite, the uses & combination of movements is what is infinite. There are likewise many ways to fight with the same movement (that statement is so profound if you really think about it).

Let's talk about your statement "primary step is attacking the opponents attacking limb first"... well, that is a common Filipino fighting strategy used in many Arnis styles. What is uncommon is that YY takes that one step further. It attempts to destroy one side of the opponent first. Think about it, if your arm & leg on the same side gets so badly hurt to the point of being limp... can you defend yourself on that side? While some may answer "yes", most will humbly admit "no".

YY differs from MT in the sense that MT will scatter its elbow & knee strikes anywhere & everywhere on his/her opponent's body. The YY fighter will favor striking only the leg & arm on the same side of his/her opponent. There's a significant deviation in fighting method & strategy here. In short, MT will "maul" the opponent to death. YY will incapacitate the opponent on one side, because once this has been done - anything that follows will work. It is called the "Dance of Death" because you literally can play around with your opponent once he's incapacitated... then, k*ll him off if needed. You merely have to continue attacking on the incapacited or debilitated side.

Nap is a genius. :D

Beyond this, can't really offer more info on Yaw Yan (unless its historical info you need). Again, I don't practice YY. Never did, never will.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Corky

Edited by Corkscrew
me..i like to learn..how much ba pag nag enroll ka sa ganyan?

hi Tricy,

that depends on what your interests are? also location has a lot to do with it. natural kapag sobrang layo, malabo na kahit mura. teachers will charge anywhere from zero to 200K for a six month course. it really depends. what have you seen that catches your fancy?