Martial Arts

Corkscrew

Wow hellspawn cool tip on shin training. Had a big problem on that when I was still in Taekwondo. Getting hit there usually shin to shin with the lower belts would produce a pain just a notch lower than getting hit in the jewels.

Kudos man where did you get this idea?

Wow hellspawn cool tip on shin training. Had a big problem on that when I was still in Taekwondo. Getting hit there usually shin to shin with the lower belts would produce a pain just a notch lower than getting hit in the jewels.

Kudos man where did you get this idea?

my old mt trainer had all his fighters doing this. he would check our shins weekly as you can actually feel the shins getting harder over time. i haven't done this in a few years, no longer compete, but my shins are still harder then most people who train, and definitely harder then joe average on the street.

shin blocks are a feature of mt, part of the "wall of bone" defense, and kicking the other guy's shin to unbalance him was a favourite tactic of my old club.

in saying that my shins have scars, dents, bone chips, and assorted other marks that have never gone away, some have faded but are still visible.

kyokushin is a great system, very powerful, very strong. you might want to make sure that your injury is 100% better before you get into it.

the optimum impact area for a muay thai kick is from just below the patella (knee-cap) to a distance of one hand span down towards the foot. if you measure it out you'll find that this is the area where the tibia (large shin bone) is prominently projected outwards from the lower leg. after this the tibia narrows down (before flaring out) to connect to the medial malleolus. i've omitted the fibula as this plays a less prominent part in the impact of the kick. avoid hitting with the instep completely, but in saying that, there are specific tagets that can only be hit using the instep, but these require correct timing and targeting more than anything else.

before i share what i consider the proper way to toughen up the shin bones, have a good hard think about why you want to do it. if you're only after the look and the bragging rights, then f.u.c.k. off you poncy wanker. you haven't got a clue, and you're a major embarrassment to muay thai. if you want to compete and need tough shins then good luck in the training and read on...

i recommend the following method because it toughens the actual bones, other methods usually involve leaving callouses on the skin, which is not only ugly, but potentially dangerous. if you've ever had a callous go wrong on your foot, imagine how much worse it would be on your shin, where there is very little cushioning between the skin and the bone.

you will need: one rolling pin, tiger balm (or similar), lots of time (minimum four to six months before competition.)

firstly use the rolling pin lightly on the shins, covering the area detailed above. hit the shins from all directions. three to five minutes should be enough for the first week, at three times a week. you should be aiming for five days a week at 15 minutes a session.

after the rolling, apply tiger balm to the affected area and massage thoroughly.

during your training nights, stick to the light bag, or kick lightly if you've only got a heavy bag.

when your shins get tough enough, change the rolling pin to a steel pipe, or press down harder on the rolling pin. you can also use a stick to lightly hit your shins for a couple of minutes after the rolling session.

when you've reached desired hardness, you can drop down to one or two sessions a week. the rest of the conditioning can come from the heavy bag, or pads.

this method encourages the bones to toughen from the inside out, making them harder. to put it simply, the pressure of the rolling drives the osteocytes crazy and makes them produce more bone cells in the affected area. the end result is tough bones and a normal looking shin.

have fun.

a nice training for your shins...i must add, use DIT DAT JOW for your PASA and BUGBOG after practice. you can buy it at squaronshoppe or from shaolin hung fut gym :-)

is there an age limit for achieving full splits..?? :)

check out "stretching scientifically, a guide to flexibility training" by thomas kurz. it's available as book or video/dvd. he claims to increase your flexibility to the point where you can do splits no matter what your age is. one of his ads shows george dilman doing a full split at the age of 51 (?). now i think dilman is a dangerous fraud, but achieving a full split at that age is quite impressive, no matter what else i might think about him.

ask ko lang if anyone are into fighting style called Muay Thaikido (Muay Thai Aikido Combination)

kasi napaka cool nya once ko lang nakita ang fighting style na eto pero effective sa Defense and offense sure na bali bali ang buto ng kalaban

sounds like bullshit to me

hi to all martial artist !!!

i started judo at age 28 pero one year lang, then aikido for few months, di ko kaya un mga exercises like tumbling at pagulong gulong kasi may vertigo ako ( movement sickness ) .

mga anak ko na lang. my daughter is a varsity player ng UST taekwondo and dun na rin nagpapraktin 11 year old son ko na turning blackbelt next month. grabe praktis sa UST bugbugan talaga. kaya naman 4yrs in a row averall champion sa UAAP. ( hopefully makuha uli this september )

am now looking for a muay thai / yawyan or boxing gym near PRC makati . could anyone help me pls?

hi to all martial artist !!!

i started judo at age 28 pero one year lang, then aikido for few months, di ko kaya un mga exercises like tumbling at pagulong gulong kasi may vertigo ako ( movement sickness ) .

mga anak ko na lang. my daughter is a varsity player ng UST taekwondo and dun na rin nagpapraktin 11 year old son ko na turning blackbelt next month. grabe praktis sa UST bugbugan talaga. kaya naman 4yrs in a row averall champion sa UAAP. ( hopefully makuha uli this september )

am now looking for a muay thai / yawyan or boxing gym near PRC makati . could anyone help me pls?

There's yaw yan ardigma in yague st and muay thai in makati ymca

what's the best and practical martial arts to learn??? suggestions po and why...

This is a whole thread on it's own and I'm sure there will be a million versions as to what's the best. Basically, any one style can beat another. To me, it's a personal choice as to what style fits a person and how well that person executes. MMA covers both stand up and ground, but within MMA is a mix of what ever style you want. Even the untrained idiot who starts throwing punches can win because he's so unorthodox that the trained guys may get confused.

My stand up is Wing Chun and my ground is Gracie BJJ. I'm better at my stand up game, but I'm knowledgable and proficient enough not to get into trouble on the ground.

Pick an art or two that interests you and go with that.

Jackie Chan took up various forms of kung fu and western boxing.. jet Li took up wushu

jackie chan was trained since childhood at the peking opera house, in a style called "peking opera". the people who studied here have reported that the training was far more brutal then in any kung fu school (beatings, starvation, and slave labour were common). the history of peking opera supposedly goes back to the fall of the first shaolin temple and the five monks who were the only survivors of the massacre, but like a lot of martial arts myths is probably 80% bullshit, 15% wishful thinking and 5% truth. jackie chan's "older brother" (the one who looked after an intake of new students) at the peking opera house was sammo hung. the purpose of the peking opera house, and peking opera training was originally to preserve the kung fu handed down by one of the monks, again see comment about bullshit etc. what the opera house produced were actors first and foremost, not fighters. for a better look at peking opera, and the history of martial arts in chinese cinema, see a documentary called "the art of action: martial arts in the movies". it's hosted by samuel l jackson and contains rare footage fro the early days of chinese martial arts cinema.

jet li studied wushu at the beijing amateur sports school and won his first national wushu championship as part of the national team. he retired at 17 and began his movie carer shortly after. he was never a shaolin monk, people who say this don't know their arse from their elbow. his first movie was "shaolin temple" directed by chang hsin yen, and this is where the bullshit probably came from.

kung possible gawa na lang tayo ng team natin tapos hanap tayo ng place tayo tayo na lang magturuan...palagay niyo...

This is a good Idea bro!..actually you can easily buy instructional videos and books,and I'm sure most of us whose into martials already have a few.. and the only thing you need is a sparring partner to practice it and share thoughts with...before I used to be with this group where they teach grappling just for the love of it..we would usually meet..and we rent this studio in cubao..real cheap until it needs to be renovated..we usually share around 200 pesos/ month for the place ..then we practice..it was real fun..at makaakmura pa!

so I'think this idea of yours will work man ..and we can also share discipline..we'll build friendship and learn at the same time malay mo maka buo tayo nang team nang pang laban sa URCC heheh!.. in case anyone will organize this ..100% support ako!