Tips For The Newly Graduates

1. Don't be afraid to try. A lot of new grads today won't apply to their dream companies simply because they think they aren't educated enough, don't have a lot of experience, can't dress well, or whatever justification they can think of. Well, guess what? Even the most qualifed get rejected. Sure there are cases of discrimination. I myself have experienced it, which is another story. Even so, you won't know until you give it a try, and those who succeed in life are those who believe they can.

2. Don't be intimidated by the interviewer. You can search the Web for tips on how to make an impact in an interview. I myself have breezed through the exams, only to flunk in the interview because I didn't know what to say and how to say it well. You need to acquire what my officemate refers to as "bullshitting skills". The term might sound funny or crude to others, but it's my officemate's way of saying that you can land a job if you can highlight your qualifications, kind of like "selling" yourself. And by the way, the interviewer who's mouthing English bullets at you have also gone through the same process as you will or have, and most likely have experienced a few rejections or we'll-just-call-you moments along the way.

3. Know what you're getting into; research about the company. Put yourself in the employer's shoes. Would you hire an employee who doesn't even know what the company does, or even its friggin name? Would you hire an employee who doesn't know what he or she is applying for? Ask yourself those questions before you even start applying.

Let me add just one thing. I tried to edit my post but I got an error message. Oh, well.

4. Don't put anything that you can't prove in your resume.. For instance, don't indicate that you are a fast typist when you can barely reach the minimum of 35 words per minute. Remember, the resume's aim is to highlight your skills that meet the company's needs, not to impress. If the interviewer asks if you can do something which you can't, admit that you can't but say you are willing to learn it.

1. Don't be afraid to try. A lot of new grads today won't apply to their dream companies simply because they think they aren't educated enough, don't have a lot of experience, can't dress well, or whatever justification they can think of. Well, guess what? Even the most qualifed get rejected. Sure there are cases of discrimination. I myself have experienced it, which is another story. Even so, you won't know until you give it a try, and those who succeed in life are those who believe they can.

2. Don't be intimidated by the interviewer. You can search the Web for tips on how to make an impact in an interview. I myself have breezed through the exams, only to flunk in the interview because I didn't know what to say and how to say it well. You need to acquire what my officemate refers to as "bullshitting skills". The term might sound funny or crude to others, but it's my officemate's way of saying that you can land a job if you can highlight your qualifications, kind of like "selling" yourself. And by the way, the interviewer who's mouthing English bullets at you have also gone through the same process as you will or have, and most likely have experienced a few rejections or we'll-just-call-you moments along the way.

3. Know what you're getting into; research about the company. Put yourself in the employer's shoes. Would you hire an employee who doesn't even know what the company does, or even its friggin name? Would you hire an employee who doesn't know what he or she is applying for? Ask yourself those questions before you even start applying.

These are just some of the things I can think of right now. Good luck to the new grads.

Oh, shucks. If you are a new grad and reading this post now, you'll notice that I am setting a bad example. haha. See number 3? I should have written "applicant" and not "employee". :lol: No employer would hire an employee. That would be piracy. :lol: A wrong word choice ruined what I was trying to say. It was grammatically correct but semantically wrong. And that's tip number 5 for you.

5. Pay attention to little things. When you receive your first phone call asking you to report, don't forget the caller's name. And once you're there in the office, don't forget the facilitator's and the interviewer's name either. You will not be able to see them again if you flunk the application process, of course, but the point is training yourself to pay attention to little things like remembering names. You'll appreciate it more when you land your first job, trust me. ;)

Just be positive as if alam mo lahat...

That's a stupid advice.

Just make sure you know what you're supposed to know. Mahirap ung nagdudunong-dunungan tapos babagsak ka din pala!

Skill sets. Kailangan alam mo iyong basic skill set ng trabaho.

Dont worry yet about the advanced knowledge base (as long as hindi yan job requirement) kasi sa malamang ipro-provide din naman nila iyon sa iyo.

And also, learn distinguish between qualification and traits.

Qualification are those you had undergone formal or informal training for. Traits are characteristics.

i.e.: Honesty, resourcefulness and teamwork are not qualifications but are traits that any manager would certainly want with a direct report.

tiyagaan lang...Rome wasn't built in a day...

That is true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Tips for newly grads:

1. Erase everything you've learned in college (unless you will put up your own business) - you wont need them when hired.

2. Use more your commonsense than your book knowledge.

3. Asnwer questions straight to point. Never bullshit, admit when you don't know it...when asked "what time"- say exact time, never maaga, hapon, like most pips do. Remember, working is all about information transfer/sharing. The more objective you get the more effective and efficient you get.

The newly hired girl in the office must have read and followed advise number 1. She must have erased everything her teacher told her in her grammar class, kaya she doesn't know how to use "he" and "she" in a sentence. <_<

• 6 months later...

Working in recruitment here's what I can offer for advice:

1. Make sure your resume is well written and well presented. Keep it organized and only put in RELEVANT information such as technical skills (ie known programming languages for Computer Science people). I'm not sure about others, but putting in your weight, height, and even your parents' names are irrelevant. If you're a fresh graduate or don't have any working experience, you can put in your achievements from college. Keep it short and sweet and highlight only important information, there's no need to make the interviewer's head ache with a wall of text. 

2. If invited for a job interview, prepare beforehand! Do at least some background research about the company and the position you're applying for. Prepare for possible interview questions. Also, while you can put in your resume that you're hardworking, adaptable, and all those other traits, but prepare concrete examples of you being hardworking, adaptable, etc. from your past so you can back up the things you put in your resume. It'll be a big plus factor for you if you can provide good examples.

3. Make yourself presentable during the job interview. There's no harm in asking your interviewer beforehand if you need to be in business attire or if you can come in smart casual, and always remember to put your best foot forward. 

4. If you fail a job interview, don't take it too bad! Take it constructively, try and go over what happened to see why you didn't pass and improve on them.

Hope these tips help. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Be humble and accept correction. Matagal na ang mga kaharap mo sa trabaho na iyan. Ikaw kakagraduate lang. Kung may mga bagong ways to do things, sila ang may alam nun, hindi iyung 5-year-old na textbook mo. Pero don't be afraid to think and express what you think may be good. Otherwise, bumili na lang sana sila ng robot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

for me don't go to an interview with an empty stomach.

make your resume readable and interesting (do some research about resume)

show the interviewer that you really want that position.

show some intellect with your answers

don't exaggerate your answers please be friendly.

and for newly grad don't expect to much for your first employment take it for experience it will really help your growth out there in short make your hands dirty.

and lastly do some research about the company you want to apply for

Resume shouldn't go beyond 2 pages. Just put there what is necessary.

First jobs are not about salaries. They are about gaining experience for the field you are really interested in. Go for that big company that can provide you with great exposure and relevant functions.

For interviews, be confident and answer truthfully. And for heaven's sake, close your cellphone while being interviewed. Kakairita kasi ang intiinterview mo tapos ring ng ring yung phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Be humble and accept correction. Matagal na ang mga kaharap mo sa trabaho na iyan. Ikaw kakagraduate lang. Kung may mga bagong ways to do things, sila ang may alam nun, hindi iyung 5-year-old na textbook mo. Pero don't be afraid to think and express what you think may be good. Otherwise, bumili na lang sana sila ng robot.

Nice advice

STAY IN SCHOOL FOR THE LONGEST TIME, no kidding! there's no rush in stepping into the real world, because the real world sucks and its gravitates on money,carnal pleasure,and of course more pleasure. The real deal is the moment you get out of school, you go back to square one, you dont have any money and you'll be living at your parents expense! You couldnt afford to pay the motel..and buy your gf fancy dinners. STAY IN SCHOOOL! its cool.

Tuloy pa allowances

thumbsupsmiley.gif thumbsupsmiley.gif thumbsupsmiley.gif

share naman kayo ng tips, do's and dont's, and views about :

- job hunting (information and techniques)

- job interviews (usual questions and best answers)

- resume

- self confidence (what to do when ure oh so nervous)

- starting salary and employers

- sss, tax, tin, benefits etc etc etc

- freelancer (may money ba dto?)

- call centers

Great guidance