--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whipsaw

1. A change in a security's price quickly followed by another change in the opposite direction. For example, a security could rise $1 then quickly lose $2, or it could fall 50 cents then rise 75 cents. Whipsaws are significant risks for day traders and speculators who may lose large amounts of money in short-term trading.

2. To buy securities at a market top or to sell at a market bottom. That is, one whipsaws when one buys or sells securities at exactly the worst possible time. One whipsaws out of fear or out of misreading market signals. To whipsaw is also called to chatter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whipsaw

1. A change in a security's price quickly followed by another change in the opposite direction. For example, a security could rise $1 then quickly lose $2, or it could fall 50 cents then rise 75 cents. Whipsaws are significant risks for day traders and speculators who may lose large amounts of money in short-term trading.

2. To buy securities at a market top or to sell at a market bottom. That is, one whipsaws when one buys or sells securities at exactly the worst possible time. One whipsaws out of fear or out of misreading market signals. To whipsaw is also called to chatter.

Example of this was PX yesterday!Haha When PX reached 16.2 i was already thinking that it might re test its previous high of 17.Unfortunately,It closed at 15.6.So the day trade was unsuccessful.

Whipsaw

thanks boss :)

but - but what if it turns out that that 'opposite direction' turned out to be positive? e.g. let us say, ACR. it peaked y'day @ 1.34 then changes abruptly, one buys @1.29 - then it closed at 1.30. Could that be called whipsaw as well?

Example of this was PX yesterday!Haha When PX reached 16.2 i was already thinking that it might re test its previous high of 17.Unfortunately,It closed at 15.6.So the day trade was unsuccessful.

unfortunately, it already did reached 17 a day earlier (9/21)and indicators points to a reversal . A strong buying momentum would have made it attempt to close the gap at 17.50.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1

I just got damned lucky, I got some stocks that were given to me by my employer. It stayed in the brokerage for sometime but I remember one october day in 2008, I just cashed out everything. Since these stocks were not public stocks, it converted first to public so it was multiplied by 2, I only had 980 shares, but they multiplied it by 2, then sold it at a peak 51 USD, I made a killing after the taxes and fees., it turned out to be 4M pesos.....had I not done that, the share now costs 2.35 dollar.

I just got damned lucky, I got some stocks that were given to me by my employer. It stayed in the brokerage for sometime but I remember one october day in 2008, I just cashed out everything. Since these stocks were not public stocks, it converted first to public so it was multiplied by 2, I only had 980 shares, but they multiplied it by 2, then sold it at a peak 51 USD, I made a killing after the taxes and fees., it turned out to be 4M pesos.....had I not done that, the share now costs 2.35 dollar.

and what is this stock?

• Downvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone quick question: what is the rule by the BIR on taxes for gains or sales of shares through the stock market? I've been trying to look around but I can't find anything specific.

for listed stocks sold via the exchange, a sales tax is imposed equivalent to 0.50% of the transaction amount. This is irregardless of whether you gain or lost on the transaction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote 1

for listed stocks sold via the exchange, a sales tax is imposed equivalent to 0.50% of the transaction amount. This is irregardless of whether you gain or lost on the transaction.

Pls. forgive me in advance if my question would seem to be stupid:

If investment advisers earn their living by giving sound advice to investors, and we are supposed to trust their judgment, as they are expert in this particular field, why the heck do they still "work" by dispensing sound advice?

If investment advisers earn their living by giving sound advice to investors, and we are supposed to trust their judgment, as they are expert in this particular field, why the heck do they still "work" by dispensing sound advice?

For most investment advisers, they probably already make a lot of money investing. It's likely they're also interested in helping others learn about investing, so they work as advisers. A lot of advisers love to share about how they make money. The demand for investment advisers will only grow, as Filipinos get more disposable income and more and more of us want to learn how to invest.

or it may be a matter of making money by selling people some kind of belief like religion, etc. or not practicing what you preach.

with all due respect those who are succesful and genuinely like to help is only about 10% .... give or take

For most investment advisers, they probably already make a lot of money investing. It's likely they're also interested in helping others learn about investing, so they work as advisers. A lot of advisers love to share about how they make money. The demand for investment advisers will only grow, as Filipinos get more disposable income and more and more of us want to learn how to invest.

in this dog-eat-dog world, how I wish that is true. There are definitely a few who does that (sharing/teaching/etc), but imho, majority, would still prioritize looking after their own behinds. Let's say they would give you market tips so that you could buy at a certain price (hyping a stock to a certain extent), only for them to have buyers so that they could sell.

unfortunately, i experienced that first hand. There was this tip that IP would go to around 8X its current price. I then bought IP, only to see the price fall the very next day. I suffered losses. Some also 'sell' their tips to those who would subscribe to their newsletters, etc.

e.g. i know of a fund manager who offers a 110% money back guarantee after a year (minimum of 100K). So his risk for that investment would just be 10%. But any gains of that principal that exceed 10% would go to him. For the clientele, it's still better than storing your money in a bank, but for those who're into the market, 10% for a year is very, very, very much attainable - especially in a bull market.

one ventures into stocks with the objective that they would earn money and not exactly to help people. Money is still the king. And at the end of the day, we're still after our profits (regardless of the way we earned them).

Some like the work so they keep giving advice even though they've already made it.

Some don't have the balls to follow their own recommendation (putting their money where their mouth is)

I always try to rely on my own research to supplement advice. 

For rooster: bro, you have the exact ruling from the BIR on that? 

Some like the work so they keep giving advice even though they've already made it.

Some don't have the balls to follow their own recommendation (putting their money where their mouth is)

I always try to rely on my own research to supplement advice. 

For rooster: bro, you have the exact ruling from the BIR on that? 

But most of them just don't have the balls to put their money where their mouth is, right?

I mean, I understand that there may be some people who, tired of all their money, decide to still "work" by handing out sound investment advice.

But,seriously, how many could they be? Heck, if have lots of money, I would be on the beach 24/7.