Do You Let Your Partner Read Your Text Messages?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Its a very touchy topic. Just wanna share my friend's experience.

They agreed to be completely transparent with each other's messages, who they were talking to, etc. It was all good until the gf saw one very innocent message from a classmate of ours. She accused my friend of being flirtatious just because my friend helped our classmate with some notes. To alleviate the gfs paranoia my friend gave her all his passwords, saying that he had nothing to hide anyway. Turns out that didn't matter - she made EVERY message, no matter how innocent, into a fight. Even dms for group work weren't spared. She once said "Bakit kayo groupmates ni xxxx? Linalandi mo noh???" It got really bad and went on for almost 2 years until i found my friend crying in our shared apartment. It just broke him man.

Maybe the gf had some problems she had to deal with as well? Maybe this was a very specific case and not at all what happens in general to couples who do the same. I dont judge couples who are like that but I guess people also have to remember that the foundation of relationships is trust and if you can't build that without needing to confirm it all the time then maybe you're not really ready for it? Peace.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...