Digital Cameras

all i can say is, dont pay too much attention to these reviews. only read them to see if the features you're looking for are in that camera. but as far as image quality is concerned, don't pay attention to them at all. do you really think you can tell two pictures apart taken by two different competing cameras? are you really bothered by some pixels of chromatic abrasion? or more importantly, do you even know what a chromatic abrasion is? what you don't know cant hurt you! :lol:

part of my photography workflow is that ALL images (or at least the ones i decide to show/print) go through photoshop. and all flaws are taken care of there. even if the picture appears to be perfect, it still goes through scrutiny and some tweaking. that explains why im so lenient when it comes to these little quirks that cameras produce. regardless if i took a picture with a $30,000 hasselblad h1 setup, or a $150 canon p&s, the pictures still all end up in the same place, photoshop! ;)

all i can say is, dont pay too much attention to these reviews. only read them to see if the features you're looking for are in that camera. but as far as image quality is concerned, don't pay attention to them at all. do you really think you can tell two pictures apart taken by two different competing cameras? are you really bothered by some pixels of chromatic abrasion? or more importantly, do you even know what a chromatic abrasion is? what you don't know cant hurt you! :lol:

part of my photography workflow is that ALL images (or at least the ones i decide to show/print) go through photoshop. and all flaws are taken care of there. even if the picture appears to be perfect, it still goes through scrutiny and some tweaking. that explains why im so lenient when it comes to these little quirks that cameras produce. regardless if i took a picture with a $30,000 hasselblad h1 setup, or a $150 canon p&s, the pictures still all end up in the same place, photoshop! ;)

im sure many users would want to read the reviews too see if there getting there moneys worth, while yes not many users would know what a barrell distortion or a chromatic abrasion but its better reading about a camera that you want to buy & knowing every detail information it has... isnt it better knowing that the camera you want to buy has barrell distortion before buying instead of buying one and seeing the picture slightly rounded in the corner and yes you will see a barrell distortion blown up or not....

also again it caters too all users what feature would they want and what the review can say about it for example a user wants to snap away using night mode...Sony cybershot series wont be good for this as it wont let you select a lower shutter speed and it will automatically jack the ISO to 400, what about if they dont want that and want it at 50 while able to select shutter or allowed time in?

always read the reviews in my opinion, coz i once didnt and had to return the Z3 plus had to pay 10% stocking fee (didnt knew the barrell distortion was bad, blue flash, heavy compression on pictures list goes on)

btw milhouse i get confused using photoshop, i get fustrated at times haha :thumbsupsmiley:

im sure many users would want to read the reviews too see if there getting there moneys worth, while yes not many users would know what a barrell distortion or a chromatic abrasion but its better reading about a camera that you want to buy & knowing every detail information it has... isnt it better knowing that the camera you want to buy has barrell distortion before buying instead of buying one and seeing the picture slightly rounded in the corner and yes you will see a barrell distortion blown up or not....

also again it caters too all users what feature would they want and what the review can say about it for example a user wants to snap away using night mode...Sony cybershot series wont be good for this as it wont let you select a lower shutter speed and it will automatically jack the ISO to 400, what about if they dont want that and want it at 50 while able to select shutter or allowed time in?

always read the reviews in my opinion, coz i once didnt and had to return the Z3 plus had to pay 10% stocking fee (didnt knew the barrell distortion was bad, blue flash, heavy compression on pictures list goes on)

btw milhouse i get confused using photoshop, i get fustrated at times haha :thumbsupsmiley:

^^^ you're right to say that most people are better off knowing these things. especially techies like us who must know how every bit of equipment works. i guess i shouldve been more specific in my previous post. there are actually people who dont need to know these things. im talking about first time buyers, non-tech savvy people who are just looking into getting a camera to share photos with their friends in family.

its the reviews that bully these people into getting expensive models with features they dont really need :lol: if they dont know what barrel distortion is, chances are they wouldnt be able to identify it in the photos they just took. they're better off with an inexpensive camera which fits their needs, not a camera that's light years ahead of their skill.

help me out here guys, I used to have a sony digital camera and it was great in low light conditions when setting up a shot cause that little orange light would lite up the shot sufficiently enough to frame the shot...

My new canon 5 mega pixel A95 has the same orange light, but its so dam dim...

is this normal? or is my orange lite in my canon out of order?

also, it doesn't click spontaneously like a real camera, but I guess that's digital for you huh?

help me out here guys, I used to have a sony digital camera and it was great in low light conditions when setting up a shot cause that little orange light would lite up the shot sufficiently enough to frame the shot...

My new canon 5 mega pixel A95 has the same orange light, but its so dam dim... 

is this normal?  or is my orange lite in my canon out of order?

also, it doesn't click spontaneously like a real camera, but I guess that's digital for you huh?

that should be normal, i have a canon and depending on the ligh area the orange light can be dim...in total darkness it would be very strong....however i havent used the A95 before only the IXUS series....if you feel like its a default take it back if its under warranty....

what do you mean doesnt click "spontaneously"?? Do you mean like doing the half-press so the camera can focus first??....unlike Canon they do have a harder press than Sony...but i feel the harder press is better because u can easily focus it first than the Sony where i accidentally tried to focus first but instead firing the shot....

I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5, 5mp with 12x optical zoom :D pinabili ko lng sa ofcmate ko who went to the US, I was eyeing a Canon S2 IS, 5mp and 12x optical zoom din but laging out of stock daw and it costs $499. Naka tyempo ofcmate ko ng FZ5 for $399(sale).

I'm really satisfied with the performance of my cam.

Mahal ng digicam d2 sa pinas e.

if you want reviews of digicams, try www.dpreview.com great reviews of almost all brands ng cam :D

As stated above not many consumers would know the meanings of barrell distortion etc i'll give a few tips on people going to get digital cameras on the image side....

Barrell Distortion

a visual distortion caused by the curvature of a wide-angle lens. It causes straight edges near the side of the frame to appear curved in the captured image. This can either be on the side or even top side of the images. All sub compact cameras carries this sort of distortion regardless if they have Zeiss optical lens, this is because sub compact cameras have a smaller CCD than the larger scale cameras. So when taking a wide angle shot of say a landscape into a small CCD it will give a barrell distortion effect, mostly or 99.9% of DSLR camers do not have this. Some cameras are ok and do not give the hint of major distortion maybe a blurr or slight curve but some cameras will round the image so bad it looks like a time warp effect. Printing normal 4x6 photos is ok and will not show the distortion but printing larger can show the affects.

example, Canon SD500 look at the edges...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonSD500/samples/distortion/IMG_0663-001.jpg

now this telephoto angel (zoomed in abit) near perfect straight;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonSD500/samples/distortion/IMG_0666-001.jpg

the Canon SD500 has 1.0% barrell distortion at wide angle...standard on most compact cameras

Chromatic Aberration/Purple Fringing

Purple fringing that occurs along the edges of backlit subjects such as plants, people, and buildings. Chromatic aberrations occur when the camera lens can't focus the different wavelengths of light onto the same spot on the image.

an example of this can be seen below, Canon SD500;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonSD500/samples/specifics/IMG_0457-002.jpg

the whole overall image;

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonSD500/samples/specifics/IMG_0457-001.jpg

now purple fringing is very noticable when the picture is loaded in your computer at 100% viewing of the original image, however if your only planning to print normal 4x6 prints this wont be much of a concern only when blowing up or enlarging can make a difference.

Image Noise

An unwanted grain/snowy pattern in an image often caused by slow shutter speeds and high ISO settings. However it can also depend on the compression the camera sets when saving as JPEG on your memory card, Sony uses alot of compression regardless if you selected Fine quality mode.

If you want a good example of what an image noise is...take a picture using your cell phones camera then load it up on computer and see how much image noise it has, while it is different to a digital camera but thats a pure example of what an image noise is.

Also using a high ISO can cause greater noise or prolong the shutter speed unless your camera has a noise reduction system when using slow shutter speeds. Again like above viewing the images 100% on computer the image will look grainy and yucky but when printing say 4x6 it will do alright and might not be noticeable. Also into consideration alot of cameras have different results when using high ISO speeds some do perfect on ISO400 without loss in detail nor noise but some even show loss already at 100 ISO. Subcompact cameras will always show detail of loss and noise at around 100 - 200 ISO already.

example, Canon SD500:

ISO 50

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonSD500/samples/ISO/CanonSD500_ISO50-patch.jpg

ISO 400

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonSD500/samples/ISO/CanonSD500_ISO400-patch.jpg

more info on cameras at DPReview

is it true that there are issues on Canon's 2.0" LCDs especially the SD300, SD400 (Ixus 50)?  Usually the inner layer cracks daw without any reason.  Any one who has experienced this?  Paano yun under warranty pa?

i have had mine for a while now and hasnt cracked on me (S700 known aswell as SD500)...yea heard they had some problems on that but its still a hot model sold here. So i doubt many of them have them, i just guess if ur unlucky then bad luck but if its under warranty take it back and get a replacement for free.

Sony Cybershot models are among the top digicams in the market....

I am considering of getting the SOny DSC W7... 7 megapix with 32MB built in... it also has a big 2.5" lcd for better picture viewing...

Am quite a SONY person because of the inherent value of the brand compared to others.

hmmm Sony is always +100/200 dollars more expensive than other cameras that has either more features or quality than the Sony, their memory sticks are always 15% more expensive than flash/SD cards however you are paying for the tag "Sony".

Sony is actually dying in the digital camera market, sales are down within the last two years. They are still top within the 5.

However one good thing though about Sony is there quality in build, their construction of cameras is near perfect & solid major example is the T7. They have one of the best designer styles in the market in terms of fashion/looks of the camera again example the T series & compact of the P,W series.

Image wise they need to improve overall its either soft and unsharp or over saturated.

Im not killing Sony here i own one before and dont mind owning another in the near future.

^^^ you're right to say that most people are better off knowing these things. especially techies like us who must know how every bit of equipment works. i guess i shouldve been more specific in my previous post. there are actually people who dont need to know these things. im talking about first time buyers, non-tech savvy people who are just looking into getting a camera to share photos with their friends in family.

its the reviews that bully these people into getting expensive models with features they dont really need :lol: if they dont know what barrel distortion is, chances are they wouldnt be able to identify it in the photos they just took. they're better off with an inexpensive camera which fits their needs, not a camera that's light years ahead of their skill.

what would be a "pwede na" simple cost-effective digicam for ordinary shots? i'm not camera-buff and wud jus lyk to have a decent cam within budget.

what would be a "pwede na" simple cost-effective digicam for ordinary shots?  i'm not camera-buff and wud jus lyk to have a decent cam within budget.

For decent i'd go nothing below 3.2MP or more than 4/5MP...Sometimes the extra mega pixels aint worth it for normal prints but sometimes you might take a nice shot & you might wanna blow it up and thats when the extra megapixel would come handy.

Theres alot of good cameras across the range within Point & Shoot cameras have a browse at:

Imaging-Resource

Click on Dave's Picks and there should be a top section where you can select what sort of user you are or what camera your looking for wether there for tight budgets, small spaces, long shots, travel cameras etc

For more reviews & user opinions try:

DPreview

Steves-Digicams

DCsource

check the rechargeable battery if it is nicad or ni-mh and how many mAh.  i dont trust china made products when it comes to consumables

while shopping for a good charger and rechargeable dry cell, there's still none available Lithium for AA or AAA ...

thus, the choices are either Ni-MH, Ni-Cd or alkaline...

aside from mAh, another thing to consider is charging time/speed.

does anyone know the better type, whether Ni-MH or alkaline?

i heard that Ni-Cd has a disadvantage: it needs to be drained before recharging.

while shopping for a good charger and rechargeable dry cell, there's still none available Lithium for AA or AAA ...

thus, the choices are either Ni-MH, Ni-Cd or alkaline...

aside from mAh, another thing to consider is charging time/speed.

does anyone know the better type, whether Ni-MH or alkaline?

i heard that Ni-Cd has a disadvantage:  it needs to be drained before recharging.

yes, they need to be drained fully before recharging or else they have have 'memory effect' which is the battery will automatically adjust to the ceiling level of the unconsumed level, thus shortening charging interval and in effect, the battery life. this does not happen in ni-mh.

mah is the capacity of the battery while charging speed will depend on the charger's charging rate. there is a theory that fast charging decreases battery life.

im happy with my canon ixus 700... :D

its good hey bro? btw the newer updated model of the IXUS 700 will be released in early next month, the model name is IXUS 750 or for USA market SD550...

The only major upgrades are;

- new 2.5" TFT LCD

- DIGIC II ....faster focus and processing than the original DIGIC

- Intelligent Orientation Sensor recognises when the camera is rotated from horizontal to vertical

- To help keep the camera level with the horizon and to assist with image composition, users can also opt to display gridlines on their LCD.

- Each camera lens includes two Ultra High Refractive Index Aspherical (UA) elements for true to life colours and crisp, high contrast images

apart from that it has the same features as the IXUS 700...although from the test shots at dcresource, it looks like they fixed the purple fringing problem that the SD500/IXUS 700 is pretty well-known for. It has to be the new Ultra High Refractive Index Aspherical thats included in the lens.

Also i hope they fixed the 9-point AiAF erratic behaviour in focusing in night shots sometimes i'd need to turn it off and use fixed center as it would focus on something else and make the shot soft or only the foreground exposure would be good. However thats only 3 out of 10 shots that would have that problem. Hope the new DIGIC II fixes that...

For those who want to see the new images of IXUS 750/SD550 they can view it on the link below...

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/po...w/gallery.shtml

Edited by luol_deng