• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#1 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,576 posts
  • Interests:Intelligent Conversations, Reading, Coffee, Movies, Magic 'the Gathering', Anime, Music, PC and Console Gaming, Anything Singapore!, Swimming, Tequila

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

Have you read any quotable quotes from your favorite book characters? Post them here :)

Format:

Quotation
Character
Chapter
Book
Author

:)

Edited by devil_lance, 28 December 2005 - 02:55 PM.

#2 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 7,576 posts
  • Interests:Intelligent Conversations, Reading, Coffee, Movies, Magic 'the Gathering', Anime, Music, PC and Console Gaming, Anything Singapore!, Swimming, Tequila

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

"Yet in two ways may a man come with evil tidings. He may be a worker of evil; or he may be such as leaves well alone, and comes only to bring aid in time of need."

-Gandalf Greyham

Chapter VI: The King of the Golden Hall
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
J.R.R. Tolkien

#3 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:04 PM

"Chilton. You must have seen him when you came in. Gruesome, isn't it? Tell me the truth, he fumbles at your head like a freshman pulling at a panty girdle, doesn't he?"

-Hannibal Lecter

Chapter 7
The Red Dragon
Thomas Harris

Edited by devil_lance, 19 August 2005 - 04:05 PM.

#4 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

"You said that I, who see more than you, am insane. I, who pushed the world so much further than you, am insane. I have dared more than you. I have pressed my unique seal so much deeper in the earth, where it will last longer than your dust. Your life to mine is a slug track on stone. A thin silver mucus track in and out of the letters on my monument."

-Francis Dolarhyde

Chapter 20
The Red Dragon
Thomas Harris

Edited by devil_lance, 06 September 2005 - 12:10 PM.

#5 Guest_lemon_*

Guest_lemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

"A person doesn't die when he should but when he can."

"One minute of reconciliation is worth more than a whole life of friendship."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez
One Hundred Years of Solitude

#6 Design

Design

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:49 AM

"Some things are true whether you believe in them or not"
-Seth Plate (City of Angels)

-Design

#7 Guest_lemon_*

Guest_lemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:59 PM

"Accursed be that tongue that tells me so, for it hath cow'd my better part of man!
and be these juggling fiends no more believed, that palter with us in a double sense;
that keep the word of promise to our ear and break it to our hope. I will not fight with thee."

-Macbeth

William Shakespeare
The Tragedy of Macbeth

Sorry, can only remember it was in the fight between Macbeth and Macduff towards the end of the last Act. :D

#8 Guest_lemon_*

Guest_lemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:13 PM

Alice: "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
Cheshire Cat: "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
Alice: "I don't much care where."
Cheshire Cat:"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."

Exchange between Alice and the Cheshire Cat.

Lewis Caroll
Alice in Wonderland

#9 Hex_Arenas

Hex_Arenas

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good books, good music and great conversations... *tink*

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:45 PM

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn't have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody."

and

"What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff- I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."

Holden Caulfield
The Cathcer In The Rye
J.D. Saligner

#10 percivale

percivale

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:15 PM

If for an instant God were to forget that I am a rag doll and gifted me with a
piece of life, possibly I wouldn't say all that I think, but rather I would think of all that I say.
I would value things, not for their worth but for what they mean.
I would sleep little, dream more, understanding that for each minute we close our eyes we lose sixty seconds of light.

I would walk when others hold back, I would wake when others sleep.
I would listen when others talk, and how I would enjoy a good chocolate ice cream!
If God were to give me a piece of life, I would dress simply, throw myself face first in the sun, baring not only my body but also my soul.
My God, if I had a heart, I would write my hate on ice, and wait for the sun to show.
Over the stars I would paint with a Van Gogh, dream a Benedetti poem, and a Serrat song would be the serenade I'd offer to the moon.
With my tears I would water roses, to feel the pain of their thorns, and the red kiss of their petals!

My God, if I had a piece of life, I wouldn't let a single day pass without telling people I love that I love them.
I would convince each woman and each man that they are my favorites, and I would live in love with love.
I would show men how very wrong they are to think that they cease to be in love when they grow old, not knowing that they grow old when they cease to be in love!
To a child I shall give wings, but I shall let him learn to fly on his own.
I would teach the old that death does not come with old age, but with forgetting.
So much have I learned from you, oh men!

I have learned that everyone wants to live on the peak of the mountain, without knowing that real happiness is in how it is scaled.
I have learned that when a newborn child squeezes for the first time with his tiny fist his father's finger, he has him trapped forever.
I have learned that a man has the right to look down on another only when he has to help the other get to his feet.
From you I have learned so many things, but in truth they won't be of much use, for when I keep them within this suitcase, unhappily shall I be dying.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

#11 percivale

percivale

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

If for an instant God were to forget that I am a rag doll and gifted me with a
piece of life, possibly I wouldn't say all that I think, but rather I would think of all that I say.
I would value things, not for their worth but for what they mean.
I would sleep little, dream more, understanding that for each minute we close our eyes we lose sixty seconds of light.

I would walk when others hold back, I would wake when others sleep.
I would listen when others talk, and how I would enjoy a good chocolate ice cream!
If God were to give me a piece of life, I would dress simply, throw myself face first in the sun, baring not only my body but also my soul.
My God, if I had a heart, I would write my hate on ice, and wait for the sun to show.
Over the stars I would paint with a Van Gogh, dream a Benedetti poem, and a Serrat song would be the serenade I'd offer to the moon.
With my tears I would water roses, to feel the pain of their thorns, and the red kiss of their petals!

My God, if I had a piece of life, I wouldn't let a single day pass without telling people I love that I love them.
I would convince each woman and each man that they are my favorites, and I would live in love with love.
I would show men how very wrong they are to think that they cease to be in love when they grow old, not knowing that they grow old when they cease to be in love!
To a child I shall give wings, but I shall let him learn to fly on his own.
I would teach the old that death does not come with old age, but with forgetting.
So much have I learned from you, oh men!

I have learned that everyone wants to live on the peak of the mountain, without knowing that real happiness is in how it is scaled.
I have learned that when a newborn child squeezes for the first time with his tiny fist his father's finger, he has him trapped forever.
I have learned that a man has the right to look down on another only when he has to help the other get to his feet.
From you I have learned so many things, but in truth they won't be of much use, for when I keep them within this suitcase, unhappily shall I be dying.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

#12 the_joker

the_joker

"Sakuraba, maybe the best ground fighter ever in MMA"

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

"It would take a million soldiers to protect it's country... a thousand workers to build a castle... but it would only take one tounge to raise two legs" -the_joker

#13 naked_angel

naked_angel

snob and a half

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 14,687 posts
  • Interests:sudden exits, uncomfortable silence, dead ends and false starts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:43 AM

foolish man. you cannot turn me into a phantom because you are frightened. you do not dismiss a muse at whim. if you will not join me, i will come to you. -sabine

Griffin and Sabine

#14 Guest_temperamental_*

Guest_temperamental_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:12 AM

Every tear I shed I cried for a different reason. There seems so much to mourn! - Memoirs of A Geisha,Arthur Golden :)

#15 naked_angel

naked_angel

snob and a half

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 14,687 posts
  • Interests:sudden exits, uncomfortable silence, dead ends and false starts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:08 AM

what society calls a good ending is actually the worst, because it is a loving ending- the last chaste kiss on the cheek, the civility, the promise to remain friends. there is no sense of the shutter dropping, or the curtain falling and bringing everything to a close. it is actually from this open-endedness, this continuity with the past, that all the pain derives-because there is still love. if you really loved someone and you wanted him to be happy you would do hima favor of incurring hatred- reducing yourself to a figure of cruelty. once you hate someonem it is easy to free yourself, to obliterate the reality of the memory of the loving communion.

clinton palanca- identifications
catfish arriving in little schools

Edited by Naked_Angel, 05 December 2005 - 04:10 AM.

#16 thegentleghost

thegentleghost

Virgin pa ako. Hahaha

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:pool playing

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:20 PM

it's so good to be alive - ian struan dunross in noble house

#17 devil_lance

devil_lance

MTC's Mr. Gentleman

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

"Grendel is no braver, no stronger than I am! I could k*ll him with my sword; I shall not, easy as it would be. This fiend is a bold and famous fighter, but his claws and teeth scratching at my shield, his clumsy fists beating at my sword blade, would be helpless. I will meet him with my hands empty-unless his heart fails him, seeing a soldier waiting weaponless, unafraid. Let God in His wisdom extend His hand where He wills, reward whom He chooses!"

-Beowulf

Verse 675-685
Beowulf
Author unknown, translated by Burton Raffel

#18 lefleuerdumal

lefleuerdumal

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:22 AM

"Faithfulness is to the emotional life what consistency is to the life of the intellect - simply a confession of failures."
-- “The Picture of Dorian Gray”

#19 fauxhead

fauxhead

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

Randle P. McMurphy, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

"She was fifteen years old, going on thirty-five, Doc, and she told me she was eighteen, she was very willing, I practically had to take to sewing my pants shut. Between you and me, uh, she might have been fifteen, but when you get that little red beaver right up there in front of you, I don't think it's crazy at all and I don't think you do either. No man alive could resist that, and that's why I got into jail to begin with. And now they're telling me I'm crazy over here because I don't sit there like a goddamn vegetable. Don't make a bit of sense to me. If that's what's being crazy is, then I'm senseless, out of it, gone-down-the-road, wacko. But no more, no less, that's it."

#20 chizo

chizo

coz she's mine

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:43 PM

all i really have to know i learn from kindergarten.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users