All About Hongkong! Shopping, Hotels, Tourist Spots - Merged Threa

i rather shop in shenzen, its just a mtr ride away, really worth your time. tawaran dun is less 50% agad then walk away pag ayaw, hahabulin ka nila para bumili ka na.

electronics is really cheaper in hongkong but be sure it has international warranty, dont trust the sellers there regarding warranty, try to really check if kung puede talaga warranty dito sa pinas by going to the brands websites or better yet call up the service centers of your chosen brands here, i had a bad experience of buying a dslr in singapore before, sabi ng seller it has international warranty so puede sa pinas. after two months of using it... nasira.... brought it to the service center here. charged me 10k to have it fixed since nikon philippines does not recognize the so called " international warranty"

• 1 month later...

I think a thread on HKG shopping isn't complete without an exchange on words of warning on the more unscrupulous side of it. I've heard and experience a lot of HKG shopping horror stories that has the potential to spoil your well earned vacation so I think its worth sharing.

The most common dirty trick I know is the "sorry no stock" trick. Here's how its done. Let's say you are looking for a camera brand "ABC". You look and look and look until you finally decide on a retailer that has the best offer. He asks for the payment, and you hand it over. He proceeds to write a receipt, and says they will get one from their warehouse. They disappointingly come back to you and says "sorry - no stock!" BUT - they have another "similar model XYZ" that's "better" than "model ABC". Here's the rub - it's much more expensive than "model ABC" ! So you want to just forget it and just ask for your money back. This is where trouble begins - they won't return it because you already gave it to them and had given you a receipt! Obviously a BS reason but the thing is - you're at an obvious disadvantage when you're in a different country, unable to speak the language. If this happens to you - my advise is to make a lot of noise and keep demanding. They will eventually give in especially if you say you will report them to the HKG Tourist Association, but malamang babastusin ka pa when they return youre money. I know someone who said the guy threw his money on the floor. Like I said, it will ruin your vacation.

Remember - some of these people will not have any second thoughts to rip you off. If they can charge you 10x more, THEY WILL. So you got to do your research and at least find out what the price range is. My tip is to go to Fortress - parang Abenson nila kung baga sa atin (I'm assuming you like electronic gadgets hehehe). Look for that particular item you like, take note of the proce and subtract oh say, mga 20% from the price and set that as your goal.

Another tip, for those that frequently go to HKG. Having a suki really helps. Build a relationship with a retailer. He may not have the best price but at least you are comforted by the fact na hindi ka niloloko. My suki is "SUNTEK" in Tsim Sha Tsui - Hai Phong Road. Look for Tony. Daming pilipino bumibili dun.

Oh....another dirty trick - the "kulang kulang ang parts" trick. You'll find the best price you can find in one shop, only to find out they've stripped it of the essentials. For example, walang battery, walang charger at kung ano ano pa.

Last tip - pag nakabili ka na, resist the temptation to check other retailers prices. It just wont do you any good. Sasama lang ang loob mo pag may nakita kang mas mura.

That's it - hope you enjoy vacation guys! And take care of your hard earned shopping money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Customized goods/shirts/stuff/Souvenirs - Stanley Market

Electronics, gadgets, cellular phones, etc - Mongkok or Tsa Shim Tsui even Sham Shui Po

Imitation/Tiangges - Temple Street along Nathan Road/Jordan

Branded clothes/shoes/bags/apparel - Mongkok, Causeway (Times Square & nearby areas)

Keep your ears open for Filipina vendors...they will give you a great deal, on top of that..an extra/additional item/article on your purchase (discreet of course) shhhhh :D

• 4 weeks later...
hi there just want to have an idea...

what is the cheapest are fare going to hongkong for like a week siguro? me my wife and my 2 yr old kid, full ba ang bayad sa kid ko?

thanks guys!!!!

Try Cebu Pacific..they always have the cheapest fare..am not sure about your kid though.....You can book online thru their website...

• 4 weeks later...
hi there just want to have an idea...

what is the cheapest are fare going to hongkong for like a week siguro? me my wife and my 2 yr old kid, full ba ang bayad sa kid ko?

thanks guys!!!!

Cebu Pacific currently has a seat sale that will last up to 1/17/08 ...P888 ++. This is for the period 02/01/08-05/31/08.

Unfortunately, unlike other airlines, Cebu Pacific does not offer discounts to children's fare (unlike PAL)

CITY GATE OUTLETS in TUNG CHUNG STATION!

Lots of branded items at warehouse prices.

Like what brands?

Guys Im off to HK and/or Macao this march and I would greatly apreciate it particularly if there are outlet stores of brands like H&M,Agnes B, Springfeild or mayb eeven Burberry. :D

Im really going there just to get some nice clothes and do a little futbol betting.

• 1 month later...
Like what brands?

Guys Im off to HK and/or Macao this march and I would greatly apreciate it particularly if there are outlet stores of brands like H&M,Agnes B, Springfeild or mayb eeven Burberry. :D

Im really going there just to get some nice clothes and do a little futbol betting.

Central HK... sa Land mark nandun Burberry etc and along Queens road central naman makikita mo yung H&M

ask ko lang po kung saan ok magpapalit ng Phil Peso to HK dollar. planning to go there this Feb. thanks!

Marami money changer sa HK...pero mas ok dun sa WORLDWIDE HOUSE puro pinoy doon dami tutulong sayo...

hi po. am thinking of going to hongkong soon, is it safe to go around hk with a camera on my neck? or delikado? really want to take photos of the place kasi.

thanks and more power!

Bro kahit yung pera mo nasa neck mo safe ka...safe dito sa HK...if ever nagkaproblema ka PM mo ako maybe makatulong ako...

...im planning to go to hongkong this may 08...saan kaya the best hotel or hostel to stay in.....mga 1500 to 2000 per night ang budget ko....

..sabihin nyo kung saan address sya. thanks a lot

yung place na nasabi mo eh pang guest house kung tawagin dito sa HK...or motel in PHIL...

Madami doon sa may Cuaseway Bay LEE Garden street... 200HK to 300HK overnight na po yon

Bro kahit yung pera mo nasa neck mo safe ka...safe dito sa HK...if ever nagkaproblema ka PM mo ako maybe makatulong ako...

I wouldn't go that far. My former boss lost his wallet to a pickpocket while visiting one of the night markets there. But compared to the Philippines, mas safe nga sa HK.