Raising Children

Train up a child in the way he should go,

And when he is old he will not depart from it.

-Proverbs 22:6

just came from Sunday mass.

my son isn't too enthusiastic about this ritual, though.

i don't think i can force God on him.

that's something he has to discover for himself.

scaring kids that God will get angry

if they don't do this or that doesn't work for me.

would appreciate your parenting tips.

tia! B)

Bro...I suggest you start on where the child came from and be thankful that the child exist.

Church is the house of prayer..not a house of asking so many things...

Try to thank GOD once in a while. Not just going to Church to ask for more.

Pray to thank GOD that you live another day, that there is food on the table and you don't have a problem what you are to eat tom and where you gonna get it.

The reason why its not been appreciated because we have not lost HIM.

But try to loose something you love or love one, then pity & look for GOD?

Think those who are less fortunate, whom food has been scarce on their day to day living.

Then and only then you will appreciate HIM since you are not the person who is outside the window of your car begging.

Hope it helps BRO.

Bro...I suggest you start on where the child came from and be thankful that the child exist.

Church is the house of prayer..not a house of asking so many things...

Try to thank GOD once in a while. Not just going to Church to ask for more.

Pray to thank GOD that you live another day, that there is food on the table and you don't have a problem what you are to eat tom and where you gonna get it.

The reason why its not been appreciated because we have not lost HIM.

But try to loose something you love or love one, then pity & look for GOD?

Think those who are less fortunate, whom food has been scarce on their day to day living.

Then and only then you will appreciate HIM since you are not the person who is outside the window of your car begging.

Hope it helps BRO.

thanks for the reply, saer.

i find most of it OT, though.

i started this thread for parents

to share their insights on raising children.

i'm very thankful to God for all

the blessings He has given me.

i wish my son would be just as thankful.

peace... B)

- your son needs guidance in order for him to know God, that's why parents are there to lead the way, to guide them...

- you can't force God on your kid, but God made a way... you're there and the reason why He gave your son to you its because He trusted you and wants you to be His instrument for your son to know about Him.

- you can bring your son in a Bible Study (for kids) or they have this Kids for Christ (i dunno if that's the right name), he will have fun cause they have games and story telling and foods...

- If you attended the normal mass (for older people) it would really bore him, cause he wouldn't understand what the priest is talking about... i guess there's this mass for children where he can see lots of kids and the sermon would be way different... i bet he'll enjoy it.

i hope this will help you...

• Like (+1) 1

- your son needs guidance in order for him to know God, that's why parents are there to lead the way, to guide them...

- you can't force God on your kid, but God made a way... you're there and the reason why He gave your son to you its because He trusted you and wants you to be His instrument for your son to know about Him.

- you can bring your son in a Bible Study (for kids) or they have this Kids for Christ (i dunno if that's the right name), he will have fun cause they have games and story telling and foods...

- If you attended the normal mass (for older people) it would really bore him, cause he wouldn't understand what the priest is talking about... i guess there's this mass for children where he can see lots of kids and the sermon would be way different... i bet he'll enjoy it.

i hope this will help you...

thanks, saer.

i find this more helpful.

my son's 13.

the best way for me to let him

know about God is by example.

i'm far from perfect,

but i'd like to believe

my heart is in the right place.

Edited by IttoOgami

I think it would be great if the kid can approach you and open up to you and I think that is made possible if you bond with him with his interests. So the question is what is he into? Or is there something like sports or hobby you want to share with him and get him interested?

I think it would be great if the kid can approach you and open up to you and I think that is made possible if you bond with him with his interests. So the question is what is he into? Or is there something like sports or hobby you want to share with him and get him interested?

thanks, saer. B)

i don't think i have communication problems

with my children. they're free to talk to me

regarding any topic under the sun.

he's into Naruto, i'm into aikido.

it's just not in my character to force

things on people. i want him to be

naturally curious on what i do, and then

get him involved in it.

nice thread... :)

I don't have kids yet and I'm no expert in raising kids. But just to share on how my sister raises her kids, i remember her telling me this - as early as 5 years old, always treat your kids like adults.

Talk to them using words that they can really understand. Remind them over and over about the possible consequences of their actions. Not to scare them but to teach them what's right and wrong at such an early age.

Be expressive in showing affection. If you are (parent)troubled at something, sad perhaps because of their disobedience :), let them know about it and the child would learn to understand and obey. Teaching empathy to kids is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Mahirap talagang magpalaki ng bata bro. Doble lalo ang hirap lalo na kapag isang parent lang ang available(in my case im separated from my wife and nasa akin anak ko at babae pa). I think ang mahalaga is to always have TIME kahit gaano ka pa kapagod and busy. Ako nga b4 i left tuwing umaga mismong ako nagpapaligo,nagpapakain,nagbibihis,naghahanda ng gamit ng kid ko for school. Ganun din sa gabi kahit gaano ako kapagod i always make it a point to spend some QUALITY TIME with her. Mahalaga din na everyday sbhn mo sa anak mo na you LOVE him/her. Naniniwala kasi ako na ang batang alaga sa pagmamahal lalaking walang INSECURITIES. Of course DISCIPLINE is a must din,sabi nga di b"SPARE THE ROD,SPOIL THE CHILD". Basta yung tamang pagdisiplina lang wag naman yung sobra to the point na magiging ilag na sayo kid mo. With regards naman to your son na ayaw gaano magsimba,my advice is hayaan mo muna cguro. Lahat naman ng tao at some point in their life e maghahanap ng DIYOS lalo na kapag nasa lowest point ng buhay. Although continue pa rin to encourage him to go to church. Mas ok kasi yung may kusa hindi yung pilit di b. Wala naman talagang SMART and RIGHT PARENTING eh,basta bilang parents gawin lang natin ang sa tingin nating makabubuti for our children and always be THERE for them. In the end naman,nasa bata pa rin yan kung lalaking maayos at responsableng tao na may takot sa DIYOS. Let's just DO what we need to DO as PARENTS and let's ask din from the ALMIGHTY for GUIDANCE. Hope this helps,good day bro. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

LET YOUR CHILDREN DEVELOP THEIR OWN IDENTITY.

my mom came to visit us recently and in one of her discussions with

my son, the following exchange ensued:

LOLA: ano gusto mong kuning kurso, anak?

APO: di ko pa po alam, basta gusto ko po mag-aral sa Mapua o Adamson.

LOLA: your parents went to those schools, so you'd better make good.

that kinda pissed me off, but i didn't talk (yet) to my mom about it.

there is no need to put that kind of undue pressure on a child.

he doesn't have to live up to his father's reputation or his mother's.

he has to create his own.

Edited by Itto Ogami

LET YOUR CHILDREN DEVELOP THEIR OWN IDENTITY.

my mom came to visit us recently and in one of her discussions with

my son, the following exchange ensued:

LOLA: ano gusto mong kuning kurso, anak?

APO: di ko pa po alam, basta gusto ko po mag-aral sa Mapua o Adamson.

LOLA: your parents went to those schools, so you'd better make good.

that kinda pissed me off, but i didn't talk (yet) to my mom about it.

there is no need to put that kind of undue pressure on a child.

he doesn't have to live up to his father's reputation or his mother's.

he has to create his own.

Very true sir. If all fathers can be like you,mababawasan ang mga rebeldeng anak. Unfortunately,i used to be one.:(

Very true sir. If all fathers can be like you,mababawasan ang mga rebeldeng anak. Unfortunately,i used to be one.:(

i'm proud to say, saer, na laking probinsya yung mga anak ko -

i'd like to believe their core values are well-grounded.

nalipat man sila rito sa Maynila nung nag-high school sila,

i trust that much of their character is already formed na.

LET YOUR CHILDREN KNOW IT'S OK TO HAVE OUR OWN LITTLE IDIOSYNCRASIES.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l52osjI2ap1qzyrwvo1_500.jpg

Edited by Itto Ogami