Alternative Exercises

friend no.1

i got this friend who is gym rat. goes to the gym pump iron..rides the bike...ran the treadmills...stays at the gym 2-3 hours. goes to the gym almost 3 times a week. In between those he swims. He bikes on weekends and never drink beer or eat meat.

friend no.2

i got this friend who follows a very minimam exercise program like briskwalking to work. taking stairs instead of elevator, does not smoke, drinks socially...rides the bike on weekend...sleeps early..

when both of my friends went to see their docs...they were given almost same level of good health.

now, I am not a person who can afford to do what friend no. 1 can do...i got work. Can there be an alternative exercise regimen for office workers to keep a healthy body (no hypertension, controllable cholesterol level, good heart condition)....

Walk to work, or at least, walk from work, or a little way. If concerned about sweating, try going to work in your jogging pants. It will get you to rise up earlier.

The physical activity while at work also helps. Don't overlook the lunch & dinner factors. Get healthy food, not too much, not too little.

Walk to work, or at least, walk from work, or a little way. If concerned about sweating, try going to work in your jogging pants. It will get you to rise up earlier.

The physical activity while at work also helps. Don't overlook the lunch & dinner factors. Get healthy food, not too much, not too little.

What if gusto mong maging muscled ang body mo ??? :blush:

one of the best investments you can make: buy a skipping rope. there's a reason boxers, wrestlers and martial artists skip alot.

the second best piece of equipment you can get: an abdominal wheel. get the basic one, handle and wheel. forget the fancy ones that are shown in the infomercials. the basic abdominal wheel beats that hands down any old day of the f**king week.

learn to do the following correctly: hindu squats, hindu push ups, handstand push ups, reverse push ups, superman push ups, diamond push ups; off the top of my head i can come up with about thirteen ways to do push ups. again, top fighters like frank shamrock rely more on bodyweight exercises then on weights.

smoking, drinking, drugs, wrong food, everyone knows the dangers of these.

do your own research. the internet is a great place to find information, just learn to sort the bullshit from the good oil.

take what works for you and dump the rest. including anything i say here.

don't rely on what gym instructors tell you. they're there to sell a product, the gym, and everything else that goes with it. are you willing to spend a s**t load on pills, powders and potions just because somebody with biceps bigger than their brain says you have to?

check out the great names from the past. i don't mean arnold, sergio and all those other steriod freaks. go waayyy back...monte saldo, maxick, liederman, bonomo, the great sandow, and of course, hackenschmidt, who was the embodiment of the latin saying mens sana in corpore sano .

but before you begin, sit down and work what exactly you're after. what do you want to look like? what do you want to achieve? once you figure that out than everything else should be a breeze.

good luck.

I agree. In addition, I would also try to invest in a punching bag. You can hang it anywhere at home and workout out with it around 3 times a week. A sample workout would be doing three to five 3-minute rounds. Crank up the intensity as you get into better condition. This is a great way to get in shape and develop a muscular (not massive) body.

As stated by a previous poster, the best examples of great training programs can be gathered from the 1920's-40's (the pre-steroid days of weightlifting/bodybuilding). They really knew what they were doing and got great results without resorting to drugs. Unlike nowadays, there are many drug-enhanced bodybuilders who got big not because they've mastered the principles of exercise science but because they've pumped themselves up with various anabolic and hormonal drugs. Once you start tampering with the body's endocrine system, it's only a matter of time before your whole system bogs down.

What investment cn you make for exercise? the first thing you have to do is find a physical activity you can enjoy doing. Avoid adice from majority of the instructors since those guys just reverberate what they read in muscle mags and don't know anythig behind it.

I agree with the previous posters that the old times like Louis Cyr, John Grimek, Eugene Sandow and many others were great specimens and were even drug free.

buhatin mo yung mga kahon na punong-puno ng papel. o take four reams of legal sized bond paper tapos i-press mo sya. hehehehe.

Hmmm... <_<

Did you read the post that I qouted ??? :blink:

If you happen to be working in one of Makati's skyscrapers, instead of using the lift or elevator, use the stairs, hehehehehe! magandang cardiovascular exercise yun!

I don't happen to work there but our bldg. is also a skyscraper.

Why don't you try it first for about a month and post here the outcome/results.

As your nick implies...

Your suggestion is definitely HARDTOHANDLE... <_<

I have a friend who looks like a gym buff but would swear that he never laid a foot in any gym...

Aside from the previous posters... this is what he said to me...

Your body must first and formost get accomodated to the weight you have... so before you pump some weights (if you must)... try exercises that will let you take advantage of you own weight... like push-ups, sit-ups... and do brisk walking or jogging if you have extra time... in this way... you'll feel more comfortable of bringing your own weight... so to speak... ;)

Hmmm...  <_<

Did you read the post that I qouted ???  :blink:

I don't happen to work there but our bldg. is also a skyscraper.

Why don't you try it first for about a month and post here the outcome/results.

As your nick implies...

Your suggestion is definitely HARDTOHANDLE... <_<

Then you should try... Im telling you, its not that HARDTOHANDLE! <_<

The office where Im working is not situated in a skyscraper, but I make it a point to use the stairs instead of the lift... And take note, I've been doing that for more than two years now. And you want to know whats the effect on me? I DONT KNOW, Im not a doctor... But this thread is about "Alternative Exercise Best for Office Workers", right?

So, can you tell me, is my suggestion categorically out of topic? :thumbsdownsmiley:

• 4 weeks later...

i guess doing exercise at home every morning before going to the office will help. im doing the whole set every morning after i wake up. it only takes 10 minutes, focusing on chest, biceps, abs, back and legs. very simple lang.i found it in january edition of men's health dito sa singapore. proved to be effective.lumiliit na yung bilbil ko(alhtough malaki pa rin). brisk walking is also helpful.

i guess doing exercise at home every morning before going to the office will help. im doing the whole set every morning after i wake up. it only takes 10 minutes, focusing on chest, biceps, abs, back and legs. very simple lang.i found it in january edition of men's health dito sa singapore. proved to be effective.lumiliit na yung bilbil ko(alhtough malaki pa rin). brisk walking is also helpful.

Good for you! :thumbsupsmiley: Anong mga exercises yan, bro?

if you really are into exercise but doesnt have the time to go to the gym, there is another way. i've suggested this to my friends and it worked for them. you just need discipline and commitment.

buy a stationary bike. nowadays it'll cost you 5-7k. pero it's worth your investment. buy the ones with a calorie counter/distance/time display. it's the easiest to do. you position it in front of the tv set and get on with it. 30mins a day is reasonable. u can do it in the morning b4 breakfast or at night. my friends liked it so much that they are now using it 45-60mins a day. they've lost weight. syempre you should also watch your diet. nothing in excess.

for the guys, you can add some weight lifting at home. just need to buy some dumb bells with interchangeable weight.

when you say alternative, do you mean other than going to the gym? or doing sports?

my first impression when you said alternative was some of the more meditative disciplines, like taichi, chiqong, kalimasada, or even some aikido styles. they emphasize mental tranquility and stability(thus fighting stress) besides the usual benefit of regular physical exercise you get with regular practice

PRE GET AN EXERCISE BAND..ITS LIKE LARGE RUBBER BANDS THAT CAN BE USED IN PLACE OF DUMBBELLS..YOU CAN USE IT DURING YOUR OFFICE BREAKS AND I FITS IN YOUR BAG, FITS IN YOUR EXPENSES AND FIT IN YOUR SCHEDULES..

WHEN YOU GET SLEEPY ON YOUR WORK DO SOME SETS WITH THE BAND IT WILL HELP YOU GET PERKED UP;

post-10950-1138117513.jpg

Edited by ken_ji_75
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have a friend who looks like a gym buff but would swear that he never laid a foot in any gym...

Aside from the previous posters... this is what he said to me...

Your body must first and formost get accomodated to the weight you have... so before you pump some weights (if you must)... try exercises that will let you take advantage of you own weight... like push-ups, sit-ups... and do brisk walking or jogging if you have extra time... in this way... you'll feel more comfortable of bringing your own weight... so to speak... ;)

rightly said :)