Philippine/filipino References In A Foreign Movie

Though there was no direct reference to the Philippines, I saw this giant-alligator B-movie called "Blood Surf" on Star Movies. It had Philippine actors in it including Maureen Larrazabal (who had a make-out scene with one of the American actors which was cut, anyone see if she exposed her boobies in this one) and Susan Africa among others.

Though there was no direct reference to the Philippines, I saw this giant-alligator B-movie called "Blood Surf" on Star Movies. It had Philippine actors in it including Maureen Larrazabal (who had a make-out scene with one of the American actors which was cut, anyone see if she exposed her boobies in this one) and Susan Africa among others.

forgive my ignorance, what's a B-Movie? :blush:

Bill Murray's movie "The Life Aquatic" has filipino pirates!

Got curious, so looked the movie up on IMDB.com:

"Trivia: The original script called for the pirates to be Indonesians but since there weren't enough of an Indonesian population in Italy where this film was shot, it was changed to Filipinos."

hehehe, funny scene in that movie. Go buy the DVD!!!!

BTW, add ko lang yung sa Apocalypse Now, one of their locations was in Pagsanjuan. They actually built a village, and moved an entire Ifugao village to inhabit it for the majority of the shooting, (which was more than a year).

• 3 months later...

These two films were both light comedies, and both featured Mark Lynn Baker of "Perfect Strangers" (cousin Larry) fame.

In "Many Happy Returns," Baker played an incompetent lawyer. When George Segal asked where he studied law, Baker said, "The University of Manila." I guess the producers and writers never thought that there actually is a University of Manila.

In "My Favorite Year," which starred Peter O'Toole and Mark Lynn Baker, there was a scene that featured the character of a retired Filipino boxer who was married to Baker's mom. That was when Baker brought O'Toole to his mother's house for dinner. The retired Filipino boxer, whom O'Toole remembered from a fight he saw, was the one who cooked dinner. The dish? Parrot.

sa "8 mm" with nicolas cage. they were watching a sex video and the guy with nic said that it was probably made in the Philippines ~sigh~

anyway, here are more on the positive side:

sa "Even Stevens" (thats a sitcom), ren stevens (one of the leads) was making a report for school about the philippines throughout the whole episode, mahaba-habang exposure yun hehe

sa "Return of the Jedi". if you listen carefully to the ewoks, some speak tagalog. they said a couple of things but the only one i remember was "puno natin yan". the ewok was referring to luke & leia & han

sa "Cat in the Hat" the movie with Mike Myers as the cat. there's a magical trunk that serves as the door to the cat's world and its stamped "made in the philippines" hehehe

and there was this super cool 70's ninja (ninja?!) movie shot entirely in the Philippines, i loved it! the final battle between the protagonist and the antagonist was held in a "sabungan"! ohmigod! it was so cool, in a wierd sort of way, two great ninjas battling it out in a cockfighting ring. the bad thing is that i forgot the title, tsk.

sa "Return of the Jedi". if you listen carefully to the ewoks, some speak tagalog. they said a couple of things but the only one i remember was "puno natin yan". the ewok was referring to luke & leia & han

one of the designers for the star wars prequels was filipino (didn't catch the name). but he was shown on one of the news reports during the time. notice how some of the costumes and props resemble throwbacks to pinoy culture. for instance one of natalie portman's gowns had the "butterfly shoulders" of the traditional saya and another outfit had a "batik" design. christopher lee's (count dooku) outfit looks a lot like a black barong and his light saber handle is curved much like that of a traditional bolo.

This one is related:

Jim Carey - Man on the moon:

Andy Kaufmann being treated in the philippine islands at latter part

of the movie

Mr. and Mrs. Smith - (Restaurant/Bar scene)Vince Vaughn telling Brad Pitt that the assasin might be Filipino ("Phil" the actual word) after Brad and Angelina's first fight encounter in the desert

first encounter

• 4 months later...

ralph fiennes - strange days

may kausap sya na client and sinabi nya "look at that filipino prostitute there"

pierce brosnan - after the sunset

may kausap sila ni salma hayek na mag-asawa then tinanong sya kung ano business nya. sabi ni pierce na may pearl business sya sa philippines

ursula andress- dr. no

tinanong sya ni james bond kung taga saan sya. sabi nya everywhere. sinabi nya yung mga countries jung saan sya tumira including the philippines

tony leung ka fai - double vision

may hinuli sya na pinoy na illegal immigrant. pumapalag yung pinoy at nagsasalita ng english at tagalog. then sinabi ni tony leung sa kanya, "ikaw ay ma-aaresto" in chinese accent

a better tomorrow part 2

may drug deal ang mga kalaban sa pinoy na sindikato. pag dating nila sabi nung leader ng pinoy sa kanila, "musta kayo dyan?"

scary movie 4

sa u.n. scene with leslie nielsen, visible yung flag ng pinas. counted ba yun?

paulina porizkova -her alibi

tumakas sya sa bahay ni tom selleck and bumalik sya para mag-paalam sa pamilya nya. pagdating nya walang sila. tinanong nya yung maid kung nasan sila. sabi nung maid, "aba ewan ko. nagsusuka sila kanina...."

deuce bigalow

malamang alam nyo na ito

x-pac - wwf monday night raw

nung 2000, guest commentator si x-pac sa laban ni steve blackman. nung ginamit ni blackman yung arnis nya tinanong sya ni jerry lawler kung ano yung hawak nya. sabi ni x-pac, "those are filipino arnis sticks." counted ba ito?

and there was this super cool 70's ninja (ninja?!) movie shot entirely in the Philippines, i loved it! the final battle between the protagonist and the antagonist was held in a "sabungan"! ohmigod! it was so cool, in a wierd sort of way, two great ninjas battling it out in a cockfighting ring. the bad thing is that i forgot the title, tsk.

ya, napanood ko yan dati sa abc 5 nung bago pa lang sila. ok yung movie. extra pa doon si leo martinez. payat pa sya noon and nakatali sa sa jeepney at hinihila sya. may nakita din ako sa rpn 9 dati na movie. matagal na. mga '88 or '89. bida yung artista ng tv show sa abs-cbn dati, yung highway man. kalaban nya si jaime fabrigas sa movie

Root for me, guys! And I promise to bring the Filipino culture in Hollywood, minus the "indirect references." :D

Someday, I'll make it as a big Hollywood director and then the Filipino culture would be shown at a better light! Hell, I started already! Just check out my music video... see if you can spot the Philippine flag! ;)

|

|

V

"Glory" (1939) - Gary Cooper played a US soldier based in Manila after the end of the Spanish-American war

"Bataan" (1943) - Robert Taylor played a US sergeant leading a band of men defending Bataan

"Back to Bataan" (1945) - John Wayne leads a group of Filipino guerillas against the Japanese prior to the US liberation of the Philippines

"They Were Expendable" (1945) - Robert Montgomery and John Wayne led a group of PT Boats in defense of the Philippine islands and in evacuating Gen. MacArthur from Bataan to Australia

ya, napanood ko yan dati sa abc 5 nung bago pa lang sila. ok yung movie. extra pa doon si leo martinez. payat pa sya noon and nakatali sa sa jeepney at hinihila sya. may nakita din ako sa rpn 9 dati na movie. matagal na. mga '88 or '89. bida yung artista ng tv show sa abs-cbn dati, yung highway man. kalaban nya si jaime fabrigas sa movie

The movie you are referring to is called "Enter The Ninja" (1980) which starred Franco Nero, Susan George, and Christopher George of "Rat Patrol" fame. Aside from the things you mentioned, the Producers Bank building in Makati was prominently featured in this movie. It was one of Christopher George's last movies before he died of a heart attack in 1983.

• 1 month later...

An old Cary Grant film, Operation Petticoat. A Filipino was accusing Tony Curtis of stealing.

- "Siya nga, siya nga, siya ang nagnakaw ng baboy ko"

Cary Grant tried to appease the Filipino by offering Tony Curtis' things as trade like dancing shoes

- Ah, sapatos, bagay na bagay di ba

makes me laugh as I reminisce

Pwede ba sa TV series, the NCIS TV series has a lot of Filipino references. In fact, in their latest season 2 part finale, the villain was an Abu Sayyaf terrorist loose on a cargo ship

• 2 weeks later...
and oh, in "men of honor" Robert De Niro's character (chief leslie "billy" sunday) mentioned the leyte gulf and how he fought there

and in one tree hill, when chad michael murray's tattoo was bleeding, the guy goes "where'd u get that from? an alley in manila?" (i dont remember now if he said manila or philippines -- its one of those though)

i think its in the Philippines...

The Rock --nung tumakas si Sean Connery from the hotel, pagtakbo nya sa kitchen, nakabungo ng chef/cook.. nagmumura ng Pinoy. :)

Baywatch -- may 1 episode na meron sumisigaw ng "Sunog! Sunog!".. Looney daw sabi nung actor.

Dante's Peak -- namatay sa Pinatubo asawa ni Pierce Brosnan.