Let's start a new thread to discuss about freethought/freethinking

For those who are not familiar or are not aware what freethought and freethinking is about, here's a concise explanation from wikipedia:

Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint that holds opinions should be formed on the basis of logic and reason and not authority, tradition, or other dogmas. The cognitive application of freethought is known as "freethinking," and practitioners of freethought are known as "freethinkers."

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Free thought is based on human logic and reason as defined in Wikipedia. Human logic is based on the rational use of the human mind. Yet the human mind is capable of irrational acts as evidenced by recent tragedies in the US and other parts of the world including the Philippines.

The human mind is NOT infallible. In fact it is constantly under attack by disease, vices, brain washing by media, brain washing by governments, brain washing by flawed literature, flawed reasoning, etc.

Nature can be interpreted in as many ways as there are people. There are as many "truths" as there are human opinions.

Even scientists themselves are sometimes at odds with one another. Their theories may not always be in accord with one another.

So free thought has a lot of pitfalls. Any of which can distort the truth.

• 1 year later...

Free thought is based on human logic and reason as defined in Wikipedia. Human logic is based on the rational use of the human mind. Yet the human mind is capable of irrational acts as evidenced by recent tragedies in the US and other parts of the world including the Philippines.

The human mind is NOT infallible. In fact it is constantly under attack by disease, vices, brain washing by media, brain washing by governments, brain washing by flawed literature, flawed reasoning, etc.

Nature can be interpreted in as many ways as there are people. There are as many "truths" as there are human opinions.

Even scientists themselves are sometimes at odds with one another. Their theories may not always be in accord with one another.

So free thought has a lot of pitfalls. Any of which can distort the truth.

Having said that, things are likely to be taken into consideration by broad-minded ones. One's belief can't be defeated by just any scientific methods for that matter. Like for instance believing that "there's life after death", then, this could be meant of anyone's belief and can't be intervened by any scientist. But if anyone in authority like the PAG-ASA, the weather forecaster, things are otherwise. Things are to be based on facts/science. But in politics, undoubtedly, free-thoughts can be prevailing where almost everything is being fabricated and almost everyone is being deceived. rolleyes.gif

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint that holds opinions should be formed on the basis of logic and reason and not authority, tradition, or other dogmas.

This hinges on several postulates.... (1) "logic" and "reason" as above described is void of "authority" "tradition" or "other dogmas" and that (2) these "authority" "tradition" or "other dogmas" are illogical and unreasonable. Both of which are problematic from a... ironically... "logical" point of view.

Point being... freethought is no more free than the noun "thought" neither is "freethinking" different in truth to thinking.

• 4 months later...

My favorite Philosophers are Plato, Descartes, and Kant. There are times that I would dig into more complex arguments like Heidegger, Nietzsche, and Hegel. For me, Plato has the best ideas when it comes to freethinking like "think more and know thyself". It means subjecting your ideas to examination rather than acting or impulse. Descartes is also known for his "I think therefore I am" quote or the power of logic (rules for the direction of the mind).

One cannot just be a freethinker, he/she should be a rationalist. I have a faith in introspection guided by definition, arguments and clarity of thought. Most of the wrong in this world are caused by misusing our mind. confusion, bad definition, and illogicality. Lastly, our mind should be better equipped for the task of thinking not just freethinking.

P.S. It's funny how some of us just copy from Wikipedia. It's not freethinking at all.

Children are the best free thinkers in my opinion. Their minds are fresh unpolluted and undiluted and most of all, in their innocence they speak their mind. Adults should be served well to listen to children.

Another group are the insane, no politics, psychology, philosophy, religion or any worldly crap... In their simple world their mind is free!

Edited by Unwritten
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...