I am planning to go to Batanes in a few months. Ever since I knew about the place and its culture, I have always dreamed of going there. It's rugged landscape, unique culture and funky architecture makes you think you are not in the Philippines. They say that electricity is scarce in there and that it's "rationed", rooms are most likely not airconditioned and transportation is not very reliable. In other words, it's the perfect place to get some time off from our hurried electric and gasoline powered lives.

Unfortunately, because the place is remote and the weather up there is such a biatch, there are not that many tourists going there, hence, not much reliable info. From what I've learned from my friend Google, there is now a flight going into Basco, Batanes itself. This route is serviced by SeaAir, their pilots must have balls of brass; if I remember it right, SeaAir used to be called Asian Spirit. Do you guys remember Asian Spirit? You know, the one where you are most likely to turn into a spirit, because they crash often. Anyway, I would not want to take a plane directly to Basco. Not because I don't trust the airline, it's because getting there is part of the adventure. Flying in there directly sort of kills the thrill. What I would want to do is fly into Ilocos Norte and then get into a boat to batanes. Let's face it, riding a bus from Manila to Laoag isn't much of an adventure, so I'd rather just fly. From the pictures I've seen before of the rough seas and even rougher port in Batanes, the boat ride might be quite an adventure in itself.

There is a town called Currimao, yes there is such a town, I googled it, and it serves as the jump off point to Batanes; I haven't been able to dig up some boat schedules yet though. I have read about some places to stay there and one place in particular, Fundacion Pacita, seems like the local Shangrila. I'm still thinking about where to stay exactly because that place, though very tempting in their description, seems a bit heavy on the pockets.

I am still searching for more info and polishing up my plan, so any info will be very much appreciated. Info about getting there and travelling options will be really helpful.

Edited by KenHeine

just would like to share - based on my FB friends' travels in Batanes, this is a must-see place. The place is so beautiful, sa pictures pa lang, makes you want to go there. it's one of my dream destination in one of my future travel plans. good luck in your travel plans.

check out www.ourawesomeplanet.com or www.ivanhenares.com, they have comprehensive writeups re Batanes.

As for that flight, i think its not inherently unsafe, depends really on the time of year/weather/typhoon season.

thanks for the info sir, nakita ko nga lng dun sa directorie forum meron din thread about batanes... under the same hotels & destinations sub forum... i don't know if this will be merged or kung anong gagawin ng mga mods...

vacation ko this june, but i plan to there on my next vacatoin which is in october. kaya i still got time to plan and prepare.

I've been to Batanes last December 2009 and I'm going back this September.

Forget Currimao. Time is gold. Take a direct flight from Manila to Basco. There's enough sea adventure to be had in hopping from one island to the another once you're already in Batanes. Currimao is simply too far from the Batanes group of islands (it isn't even in the Northern Coast of Ilocos - look it up in a map.)

http://deaconblue.multiply.com/journal/item/127/Batanes_Travel_Tips

malayo pala, I haven't really looked it up yet, nabasa ko lng na there's a boat going to batanes from there. but you got a point sir, island to island boat trips will be fun enough. oh well, tagal pa naman un. kaya I want to gather as much info as I can. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How far ba ito from manila by car? I always wanted to go there someday.

Umm.. medyo group of islands ang Batanes.... Kung gusto mong naka kotse ka, ang alam ko na byahe by sea ay yung nasa Ilocos Norte at Tuguegarao, baka may Roro dun.

Travelling by plane is recommended. Nung nagpunta kami ng wife ko dito nung April, airfare were almost Php7000 each. I recommend book at least 6 months prior and wish for a good weather.

Hire a tour guide para walang hassle. then return to a favorite place on your free day. ganun ginawa namin.

Spent about 50K for the 4-day stay at Batanes.

The place is really nice!!!! Baka nga bumalik kami next year.

It was also nice to have close encounters with Atom Araullo and Angel Locsin.

• 1 month later...

Umm.. medyo group of islands ang Batanes.... Kung gusto mong naka kotse ka, ang alam ko na byahe by sea ay yung nasa Ilocos Norte at Tuguegarao, baka may Roro dun.

Travelling by plane is recommended. Nung nagpunta kami ng wife ko dito nung April, airfare were almost Php7000 each. I recommend book at least 6 months prior and wish for a good weather.

Hire a tour guide para walang hassle. then return to a favorite place on your free day. ganun ginawa namin.

Spent about 50K for the 4-day stay at Batanes.

The place is really nice!!!! Baka nga bumalik kami next year.

It was also nice to have close encounters with Atom Araullo and Angel Locsin.

yun bang 7k airfare e 1 way lng, 50k dalawa na kayo ni wifey? san kayo kumuha guide? tia
  • 3 weeks later...