Laptop/Notebook Owners

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 9:18 PM, JonasValanciunas said:

Any thoughts regarding windows handheld? (Steamdeck, rog ally)

None from personal experience, but all the reviews I've seen show that they're running into the same issues that early tablets had where the UI (user interface) and the UI controls haven't been designed too well.

A recent example is the Lenovo Legion Go. LinusTechTips shows weird transitions from trackpad to touchscreen controls when changing from the desktop to Steam. Instances where the back button and the B button don't work. I think some parts also use joystick to mouse controls. This is frustrating for first time users, but power users will acclimate and learn which input to use for which interface.

Overall, these are growing pains that will smooth out as the niche gains popularity and companies unify their UI and UX (user experience) design or put more money into QA (quality assurance), UI, and UX design.

On 11/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, chromedome said:

I'm having issues with my Legion 5 where the screen turns black but the laptop is still running. Checked online and it seems its a common issue with no definite fix. 

Mine had screen aberrations, like a weird filter was put over half of the scren.

From what I've read, it's the connector to the monitor getting loose or disconnected. Possibly from low quality glue, bad manufacturing process putting less glue, or maybe even poor heat management melting the glue and leading to loose connections.

Mine hasn't been bad enough to disassemble, but it might be as simple as opening it up and pressing the connector back in and applying some epoxy. But, I'm not a computer repair expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

On 11/24/2023 at 1:18 PM, JonasValanciunas said:

Any thoughts regarding windows handheld? (Steamdeck, rog ally)

16 hours ago, Blxst said:

None from personal experience, but all the reviews I've seen show that they're running into the same issues that early tablets had where the UI (user interface) and the UI controls haven't been designed too well.

A recent example is the Lenovo Legion Go. LinusTechTips shows weird transitions from trackpad to touchscreen controls when changing from the desktop to Steam. Instances where the back button and the B button don't work. I think some parts also use joystick to mouse controls. This is frustrating for first time users, but power users will acclimate and learn which input to use for which interface.

Overall, these are growing pains that will smooth out as the niche gains popularity and companies unify their UI and UX (user experience) design or put more money into QA (quality assurance), UI, and UX design.

If you really want a handheld, go with the Steam Deck for now. Unlike ROG Ally and the aforementioned Legion Go, it’s running SteamOS, a fork of Linux. So it might not run all your games, but the UX is definitely better than just running Windows

• 2 weeks later...