• Please log in to reply
3524 replies to this topic

#3521 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,439 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:11 PM

So it turns out that October 3 is National Poetry Day and October 4 is National Vodka Day.

Well, why not? lol

Here's a drink for thought for National Vodka Day - all vodka tastes the same, from the inebriatingly high prices of Ciroc and Grey Goose to the loose change Russian peasantry tipples Russian Standard or Smirnov. Basically it's just ethanol you're drinking. Now if vodka is not your cup of tea or drinking not your first choice for being wasted on a fine Sunday evening, I hope you had a penne alla vodka. Yes, that pasta really has vodka in it.

As for the National Poetry Day, The Independent published 28 of the most powerful lines of poetry ever written. Some of my favorites:

I love you as certain dark things are to be loved / in secret, between the shadow and the soul. Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda

I would like to be the air / that inhabits you for a moment / only. I would like to be that unnoticed / & that necessary. Variation on the Word Sleep, Margaret Atwood

She had blue skin, / and so did he./ He kept it hid /  and so did she./ They looked for blue / their whole life through./ Then passed right by../ and never knew. Masks, Shel Silverstein

Tree you are, / Moss you are, / You are violets with wind above them. / A child - so high - you are, / And all this is folly to the world. A Girl, Ezra Pound

But the dark pines of your mind dip deeper / And you are sinking, sinking, sleeper / In an elementary world; There is something down there and you want it told.

Dark Pines Under Water, Gwendolyn MacEwen

#3522 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:21 PM

I hope they show the baseball games there. Completely forgot that I should not be going off somewhere during this particular time. 

#3523 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:44 PM

Books that fly with you on a trip - experiencing the same air disturbances, cramped up in a side pocket, never eating and never going to the john, pages drying up due to thin air - these are hardy souls. They never talk, but they speak volumes, and no matter the time that comes when you won't recall a single thing from it, it stays memorable because it captured a moment, like a song. 

That Quammen on a European jaunt - talking about dodoes and such. That Didion last year in Tokyo, which transported me back to the 60s and its unrests - but beautiful portraits still. Even that silly travel book by a guy named Bastarde, about a British bloke who decided to live in France - with all its dismal accidents, all of them brought joy and happy memories.

Today it was some book by Brian Phillips - more a book of feature writing. He ruminates on royalty and the Queen. He goes to Alaska to chronicle that dog race through the snow. He tries to spot tigers in India, aliens in the Southwest, wrestlers in Tokyo. And a long story about the long and strange saga of an American heiress gone to seed. Amazing stories for the boy in me. 

As stated in the Brian Phillips book, that the most astonishing thing about a tiger is not its beauty, or its strength, or its size, but by its capacity to disappear, I should say the reverse about books on a trip. I am not surprised by their capacity to disappear from memory after so many years, but I continue to be enchanted by their strength and beauty and comfort.

• dungeonbaby likes this

#3524 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:29 PM

The moment I saw Caitriona Balfe's dreamy silhouette against Christian Bale's garage door, I knew this was going to be a great movie.

Caitriona Balfe. Christian Bale. C.B. C.B. What can be more natural. What's not immediately natural is how they made a fine movie about cars, dreams, visions, races, and endless shots of greasy men tinkering under the hoods of cars.

On to peripherals, but first the title. Ford v. Ferrari. You'd expect that with a braintrust that include the director James Mangold (Logan, Girl Interrupted, Cop Land) and the writers Butterworth (Black Mass, Spectre, Edge of Tomorrow), they would have thought up a less prosaic title. Maybe they should have imaginatively thought up a title that would rev you up and make blood rush to your head. Say, like, Batman v. Superman. See?

Marco Beltrami. The first name I look for in a movie - the soundtrack author. Beltrami - World War Z, Terminator 3, Red Eye, Snowpiercer, The Shallows..he of the rum-dum-dum school of film music. But the score works. It thuds. It evokes, It tears you up. It pulsates. Gotta look for that music.Good thing they did not get Hans Zimmer for this. His music thundered across another racing movie I love - Rush.

Jon Bernthal, as Lee Iacocca, the baddie who nearly raped good old Emily Blunt in Sicario, who was the manic tank gunner in Brad Pitt's Fury, is now here the visionary who is rightly considered the guy who put the idea of Le Mans into poor Henry Ford's head. Strong and understated expressions as a pup would say, and now that I think of it, the pup may be correct. But he is the visionary through and through, and for once he appears decent and cleancut and gets to wear nice suits unlike his other characters. Did I hear Walking Dead, too? A pup just yapped.

Mangold. Too bad I missed Logan. But I did see 3:10 To Yuma, that mid-aughts Russell Crowe cowboy shoot-em-up. I remember being impressed there. And what was so long long ago a film that proved that Stallone was more than just muscle - yes, Mangold directed him in Cop Land and people sat up and took notice. I mean, people then can't figure out what he was in that movie, the film being several studios away from his blood and guts action fests. But they saw another dimension of the actor, which I think exonerated Sylvester and gave him due respect. Nobody could have casted Stallone in that kind of a slow, slow film.

Christian Bale. What else could be said. The pup would die if he stopped acting. Like Daniel Day-Lewis, see. He should get nominated here. And he should win. The way he received the news that he was not coming to France - that was something any actor would blow up, but with Christian - wordless, you can fathom his grief in his expression, and the way he coolly stepped aside his disappointment by talking car at once while slowly standing up and leaving the office. Like when he was not proclaimed the rightful winner of that classic LeMans race, he just uttered to Matt Damon:

"It's okay. You promised me to drive, not to win."

There are only two truths to Ford v Ferrari. First you will enjoy the movie. Second, you would want to drive fast upon leaving the theater, in a manual transmission, with your left and right foot on the pedals, doing their dance to the music and beauty of the film.

Oops did I forget Matt Damon, He was also actually in the film.

Edited by bods1000, 15 November 2019 - 10:32 PM.

• dungeonbaby likes this

#3525 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:52 PM

"But you are what you love.

And not what loves you back

And I'm in love with illusions

So saw me in half

I'm in love with tricks

So pull another rabbit out of your hat."

Jenny Lewis, You Are What You Love

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users